Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
texasmame
All Star Starter

Exclamation Bullpen Idiots

Can we please, PLEASE at least have the option to turn off the "getting tired" option when warming up guys in the bullpen? It's not realistic nor does it add to the fun of the game.

I could see this happening if you get a guy up, say, three times in a game and don't bring him in but to get him up and leave him up for even an inning or so, for him to get "tired" because he apparently stands there and continues to throw even though he's warmed up is just asinine and detracts from the strategy and enjoyment of an otherwise stellar game.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmame View Post
Can we please, PLEASE at least have the option to turn off the "getting tired" option when warming up guys in the bullpen? It's not realistic nor does it add to the fun of the game.

I could see this happening if you get a guy up, say, three times in a game and don't bring him in but to get him up and leave him up for even an inning or so, for him to get "tired" because he apparently stands there and continues to throw even though he's warmed up is just asinine and detracts from the strategy and enjoyment of an otherwise stellar game.
Why don't you just turn off the bullpen warmup then?
Old 03-28-2017, 02:59 PM   #3
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
Why don't you just turn off the bullpen warmup then?
I enjoy the strategy and realism of having to anticipate when you may need a guy, so you have to get him warmed up in advance of coming in. Since, ya know, that's what they really do.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Well don't complain if you leave them on there too long that's just like real world

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #5
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
Well don't complain if you leave them on there too long that's just like real world
Well, if you leave them there, they know to stop throwing when they've had enough to get warm. You see that all the time.

Maybe a "itchy" status would be appropriate if you leave them up too long (1.5 innings?) - then when you bring them in, they may or may not perform well. I stole that from the great "Baseball for Windows."

Old 03-28-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
DustinthePOWERHOUSE
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Well, if you leave them there, they know to stop throwing when they've had enough to get warm. You see that all the time.

Maybe a "itchy" status would be appropriate if you leave them up too long (1.5 innings?) - then when you bring them in, they may or may not perform well. I stole that from the great "Baseball for Windows."
Maybe you could have a certain amount of pitches set for the pitcher for warmup or something ala the pitch count, but I dunno if that's a real thing.

"It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"- Ali

Wladimir Klitschko will DESTROY you.
DustinthePOWERHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
I know what will fix his issue having a bullpen coach to tell them when to stop and stuff

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #8
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
I have to agree with the OP. It is not realistic to have the pitcher get tired in the bullpen. Often pitchers will just stand around in the Bullpen once they are warm rather than warm up until tired.

You often see the manager have to wait for the Bullpen pitcher to get warm before bringing them in. That is realistic, but I have seen thousands of baseball games and don't ever remember them saying, after a pitcher came in and got lid up, that he must have gotten tired while in warming in the pen.

I agree with the OP, you should be able to turn that off without having to turn off the warm-up option off, or at least tie it to the intelligence rating, so only dumb pitchers keep warming and get tired.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:45 PM   #9
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

All having it on does is prove that you remember to do it. It is just an exercise in button pushing. I don't know many people who have played this game much that leave it on.... some do, but that's not my bag.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #10
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
All having it on does is prove that you remember to do it. It is just an exercise in button pushing. I don't know many people who have played this game much that leave it on.... some do, but that's not my bag.
Well, it's part of managing a baseball game - bullpen management - and it's kinda critical. To have it FUBARed by this silly coding is not acceptable.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #11
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

In real life, if you get a pitcher up, you should plan to bring him in. If you decide not to bring him in, then you should sit him down and then get him back up when you're ready to use him.

If pitchers in the pen never got tired, then you could do like in the past and get a pitcher up and ready in the 5th inning, keep him up until you need him in the 7th, and he'd be in perfect shape. Heck, you could start a guy warming in the 1st without any detrimental effect.

And anyways, just because a guy warming up switches to "tiring", it's not like he immediately loses all effectiveness. Keeping a guy "tiring" for a couple batters is probably not going to noticeably affect him at all. If you keep him warming up for an inning without using him, then yeah, that would have an effect, but I'm pretty sure that that would also be the case in real life, and that's why guys will start sitting down as soon as they know they're not coming in soon.

Basically, if you like the strategy of deciding when to get a guy warming up to get ready to come in, the strategy of making sure that he's not in the pen for too long is basically no different.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #12
Dargone
Hall Of Famer

Going to have to agree with the OP too. It's silly for a reliever to warmup so much that he's tired. This would never happen in real life. Bullpen usage is a BIG part of managing a baseball club, so turning it off detracts a lot from realism.

I'm actually reading LaRussa's book "The Last Strike" (fantastic read) at the moment and he talks a lot about bullpen usage throughout the book. Getting them up, when to bring them in, lefty/righty matchups, setup roles, closer roles, etc. He never once talks about relievers warming up so much that they tire themselves out. Why? Because it doesn't happen!
I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken -- and I'd rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived.-Margaret Mitchell
Dargone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:11 PM   #13
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Quote:
To have it FUBARed by this silly coding is not acceptable.
Is that you, William Shatner?????

Last edited by Airdrop01; 03-28-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Airdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:12 PM   #14
Dargone
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
In real life, if you get a pitcher up, you should plan to bring him in. If you decide not to bring him in, then you should sit him down and then get him back up when you're ready to use him.

If pitchers in the pen never got tired, then you could do like in the past and get a pitcher up and ready in the 5th inning, keep him up until you need him in the 7th, and he'd be in perfect shape. Heck, you could start a guy warming in the 1st without any detrimental effect.

And anyways, just because a guy warming up switches to "tiring", it's not like he immediately loses all effectiveness. Keeping a guy "tiring" for a couple batters is probably not going to noticeably affect him at all. If you keep him warming up for an inning without using him, then yeah, that would have an effect, but I'm pretty sure that that would also be the case in real life, and that's why guys will start sitting down as soon as they know they're not coming in soon.

Basically, if you like the strategy of deciding when to get a guy warming up to get ready to come in, the strategy of making sure that he's not in the pen for too long is basically no different.
I understand your point and it is a fair one. Maybe the game could be coded in such a way to prevent that? If you start warming up a reliever in the first inning with the intention of bringing him in around the fifth inning, then perhaps the pitcher would sit down after a bit of time and be cold if you simply put him in the game at a much later date. There would be a window in other words of getting a guy up and him sitting down and getting cold again.

Maybe that's a stupid idea? I'm simply trying to think of a solution. It's a tough pill to swallow that relievers can warmup too much and be tired. Again, this would never happen in real life; however, you do make a fair point in your post. It's an interesting discussion regardless and I appreciate your thoughts.
I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken -- and I'd rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived.-Margaret Mitchell

Last edited by Dargone; 03-28-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:12 PM   #15
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargone View Post
Going to have to agree with the OP too. It's silly for a reliever to warmup so much that he's tired. This would never happen in real life. Bullpen usage is a BIG part of managing a baseball club, so turning it off detracts a lot from realism.

I'm actually reading LaRussa's book "The Last Strike" (fantastic read) at the moment and he talks a lot about bullpen usage throughout the book. Getting them up, when to bring them in, lefty/righty matchups, setup roles, closer roles, etc. He never once talks about relievers warming up so much that they tire themselves out. Why? Because it doesn't happen!
To say it doesn't happen is just silly, I believe no reliever admits he's tired when warming up, but I don't believe for one second that they all sit down before they get tired. Just because people can't remember to stop warming a guy up, and eventually he gets tired is not grounds for the system being broken, what is broken is the memory of the person playing the game. If you are so into playing games out that you want to use the Bullpen warm up feature, don't complain when it fails you because of your own inability to use it properly or efficiently. Your goal should be to figure out how to not let relievers get tired, not to have OOTP make a new setting for everything you have a problem remembering to do!
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #16
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post

I see your points, but not asking for the ability to warm up a guy in the 1st then leave him up there for the remainder of the game. With the current system, it feels like guys get "tired" in the bullpen quicker than they would if they were pitching in the actual game!

Does. Not. Compute.

For instance, I get my setup guy up with 1 out in the 7th as I am pitching. The inning ends but I'm pretty sure I want him to start the 8th, so I leave him "up" while I bat in the bottom of the 7th. Normal half inning - no big rally or anything. Then, 8th inning comes around and. . . he's tired. I don't dare sit him down between innings, either, as he may get "cold." The system is just off - doesn't feel realistic. I mean, does this mean the dumbass kept throwing? C'mon, man.

Maybe have a complete two inning "up" stint have some sort of impact on him? Or a set number of batters - say, 10 batters faced, combined offense and defense, and a pitcher gets tired. Better still, if you get him up 3 times in the pen, he gets tired. That's realistic and something you do hear warnings about in real life baseball settings. Something - anything besides the current setup.

I know this has been brought up since it was instituted yet you guys seem hell-bent on keeping it in the game, with no ability to modify or turn it off.

trump
SAD!
/trump

Last edited by texasmame; 03-28-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:19 PM   #17
Dargone
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
To say it doesn't happen is just silly, I believe no reliever admits he's tired when warming up, but I don't believe for one second that they all sit down before they get tired. Just because people can't remember to stop warming a guy up, and eventually he gets tired is not grounds for the system being broken, what is broken is the memory of the person playing the game. If you are so into playing games out that you want to use the Bullpen warm up feature, don't complain when it fails you because of your own inability to use it properly or efficiently. Your goal should be to figure out how to not let relievers get tired, not to have OOTP make a new setting for everything you have a problem remembering to do!

I respect your opinion, but I disagree. A professional relief pitcher knows when he is ready. He is not going to continue to throw pitches and tire himself out in my opinion. Also, see post #16. That should not be happening.

As I espoused above, there might be a better solution? I don't manage games so it really doesn't matter to me. However, I tend to agree with the OP's post. YMMV

Last edited by Dargone; 03-28-2017 at 05:30 PM. Reason: to mention post #16
Old 03-28-2017, 05:19 PM   #18
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
Guys get tired far too quickly as it stands. Full stop.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:22 PM   #19
Dargone
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For instance, I get my setup guy up with 1 out in the 7th as I am pitching. The inning ends but I'm pretty sure I want him to start the 8th, so I leave him "up" while I bat in the bottom of the 7th. Normal half inning - no big rally or anything. Then, 8th inning comes around and. . . he's tired. I don't dare sit him down between innings, either, as he may get "cold." The system is just off - doesn't feel realistic. I mean, does this mean the dumbass kept throwing? C'mon, man.
Yeah, that's simply ridiculous. I don't think that happening in the game is defensible.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #20
Dargone
Hall Of Famer

The more I think about this the more I think adding a feature that turns it off is the way to go (getting tired in the 'pen). Seems like the simplest solution to me. Of course, I'm no programmer so I could be wrong.

People who think it's silly simply leave the feature on and people in the OP's camp turn it off. OOTP is all about choices, that's part of what makes the game great.