Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #21
rink23
Hall Of Famer

1987 Cardinals defeat 1931 Cardinals 4-1

(3) 1931 Cardinals (World Series champions) vs. (19) 1987 Cardinals (World Series runners-up)
Outlook: The 1931 team will look to avoid the fate of the first six World Series champions teams which received a first-round bye, a second-round exit. It won’t be easy, the 1987, which will feature healthy Jack Clark and Terry Pendleton, who either missed or were severely hampered during their seven-game World Series loss to Minnesota, will both be at full strength here. They opened the tournament with an impressive four-game sweep of the 1985 Cardinals. The 1931 team is led by that season’s MVP Frankie Frisch and has Hall of Famer Jim Bottomley and postseason standout Pepper Martin to bolster its offense. The pitching staffs are probably a wash. Prediction: 1931 in seven games.
Game 1 (at 1931): 1987 1, 1931 0
Key moment: Tied at 0-0 going into the top of the sixth inning, the 1987 team gave Danny Cox the only run he would get or need, when Ozzie Smith led off with a double and scored on a one-out single by Willie McGee.
Player of the game: Cox was spectacular going the distance with a five-hitter. He struck out four and walked one. His counterpart, “Wild” Bill Hallahan, was not shabby, also throwing a complete game. He allowed the one run on six hits. He whiffed six and walked out.
Game 2 (at 1931): 1931 7, 1987 4
Key moment: Tied 2-2, the 1931 team broke the tie with three runs in the bottom of the fourth against 1987 starter Joe Magrane. Consecutive singles from Chick Hafey, Pepper Martin and Jimmie Wilson got things rolling. Hafey then scored on a balk. Charlie Gelbert followed with a sacrifice fly, scoring Martin. Pitcher Flint Rhem then reached on an error by left fielder Vince Coleman, putting runners at the corners. A Sparky Adams sacrifice fly scored the inning’s final run.
Player of the game: Chick Hafey was 3 for 4 with a triple, two runs scored and one RBI.
Injury note: 1931 starter Paul Derringer had to leave the game after four innings because of injury. Rhem took over and pitched into the eighth inning, allowing just a run. Allyn Stout got the final out of the eighth and despite giving up a run in the ninth sealed the win.

Game 3 (at 1987): 1987 6, 1931 3
Key moment: Tied 2-2, the 1987 Redbirds scored twice in both the sixth and seventh innings to take control. In the sixth, Tom Herr drew a walk and Jack Clark and intentional walk from Burleigh Grimes to open the inning. A Willie McGee ground out moved them to second and third. Terry Pendleton scored Herr with a sacrifice fly before a walk to Curt Ford put runners at the corners. Tony Pena followed with a single, making it 4-2. After the 1931 got a run off Greg Matthews in the top of the fifth, the 1987ers answered with two more in the bottom half. Ozzie Smith drew a lead-off walk from Grimes. He stole second and took third on a Tommy Herr single. A walk to Jack Clark then loaded the bases. A Willie McGee single scored Smith. Herr scored on a one-out ground out by Pendleton.
Player of the game: 1987 starting pitcher Greg Matthews turned in his team’s second complete game of the series, allowing three runs on seven hits over his nine innings. He struck out none and walked three.
Game 4 (at 1987): 1987 7, 1931 6, 11 innings
Key moments: Down 6-0, the 1987 rallied back to tie the game and then win it in the bottom of the 11th, when Vince Coleman led off a with single against 1931 starter Syl Johnson, went to second on an Ozzie Smith sacrifice bunt, moved to third when Tommy Herr reached on an error by shortstop Charlie Gelbert and scored on a Jack Clark sacrifice fly. The 1987 took a big chunk out of the deficit with a four-run bottom of the eighth inning. A walk to Willie McGee got it going and an single by Ozzie Smith moved him to third. By the time the inning was over, Tommy Herr had a two-run double while Jack Clark had drove in one with a double and Curt Ford one with a single. In the ninth, back to back walks from Johnson to pinch-hitter Jose Oquendo and Vince Coleman got things going. An Ozzie Smith single loaded the bases . Oquendo scored when Herr hit into a fielder’s choice. A wild pitch scored Coleman while Jack Clark was at the plate.
Player of the game: Tommy Herr was 3 for 6 with a run scored and three RBIs.
Game 5 (at 1987): 1987 3, 1931 2
Key moment: Trailing 1-0, the 1987 team scored all the game’s remaining runs in the fourth inning against 1931 starter “Wild” Bill Hallahan. Ozzie Smith got it rolling, reaching on an error by catcher Gus Mancuso to open the inning. He scored when Tommy Herr followed with a double. A two out double by Terry Pendleton then scored Herr. Jim Lindeman capped the game’s scoring with an insurance-run single, scoring Pendleton.
Player of the game: Danny Cox was once again impressive, going seven innings, allowing two runs on eight hits. He struck out three and walked two. Todd Worrell pitched around a pair of hits to toss two scoreless innings and earn the save.
Series summary: The 1987 just proved to be the better time, posting one-run victories in three of its four wins The top of the offense was strong with Coleman, Smith, McGee and Clark. Cox was dominant in his two outings.
Series MVP: Cox allowed just two runs in 16 innings on the mound, claiming the bookend games Nos. 1 and 5. At the plate, Tommy Herr batted .429 with five RBIs.
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:08 PM   #22
rink23
Hall Of Famer

1967 Cardinals defeat 1935 Cardinals 4-3

(22) 1935 Cardinals (second place in NL) vs. (6) 1967 Cardinals (World Series champions)
Overview: Well, the 1967 team is the last of the World Series championship teams standing, as the other seven teams which received byes are all gone and the other three failed to get out of the opening round. Three potential matchups between Bob Gibson and Dizzy Dean in Games 1, 4 and 7 should be interesting. Paul Dean in the No. 2 spot for the 1935 could help swing things to its advantage. Prediction: With how things have played out, gotta go with 1935 in six games.
Game 1 (at 1967): 1935 7, 1967 3
Key moment: Tied at 3-3, the 1935 team grabbed the lead for good in the top of the fifth against 1967 starter Bob Gibson. Ripper Collins and Bill DeLancey got things rolling with one out singles. Terry Moore followed with a third straight single, scoring Collins and leaving runners at second and third. Pitcher Dizzy Dean followed with a one-out sacrifice fly, scoring Collins to make it 5-3.
Player of the game: Joe “Ducky” Medwick was 3 for 4 with two homers, three runs scored and two RBIs. His home runs were solo shots off Gibson in the first and sixth innings. Dean pitched seven innings allowing five runs on five hits. He struck out six and walked two. Gibson also lasted seven innings, allowing six runs on 14 hits. He struck out four and walked one.
Game 2 (at 1967): 1935 5, 1967 3
Key moment: Down 3-0, the 1935 rallied for the win and take a 2-0 series advantage. It got its first run in the sixth against 1967 starter Dick Hughes. Jack Rothrock connected for a two-out double and scored on a Frankie Frisch single. The 1935 team then exploded for four runs in the eighth to take control of the game. Leo Durocher led off the inning with a single, ending Hughes day as he was replaced by Joe Horner. Pinch-hitter Charlie Gelbert followed with a single. After an out, pinch-hitter Spud David loaded the bases with Frisch stepping to the plate. The 1935s team manager singled, scoring one. Another single, from Joe Medwick, plated the inning’s second run. The final two came home on a Ripper Collins single.
Player of the game: Paul Dean pitched seven innings, allowing three runs on six hits. He struck out four and walked two.
Injury note: 1967 catcher Tim McCarver had to leave the game with an injury.
Game 3 (at 1935): 1935 1, 1967 0
Key moment: 1935 starter Bill Hallahan held the 1967 team scoreless before leaving the game with one out in the ninth. His counterpart, Steve Carlton, lasted an inning longer before leaving with one out in the 10th. The 1935 finally got the game’s only run in the bottom of the 13th against reliever Ron Willis. Terry Moore scored the run, after reaching on a one-out error by third baseman Mike Shannon. A Spud Davis single moved him to third and Leo Durocher sent him across the plate with another single.
Player of the game: Carlton got the nod from the computer, but I will split it between him and Hallahan. Carlton allowed just two hits in his 9.1 innings, striking out seven and walking one. Hallahan scattered five hits while striking out eight and walking one.
Game 4 (at 1935): 1967 9, 1935 2
Key moment: Down 1-0, the 1967 team took the lead with two runs in the top of the third and broke the game open with four more in the fifth. An RBI fielder’s choice from Orlando Cepeda and a sacrifice fly from Mike Shannon scored their two third inning runs. In the fourth, A bases-loaded double from Dave Ricketts scored all three of their runs.
Player of the game: Bob Gibson got all but the final out, allowing two runs on nine hits. He struck out seven and walked two. Ron Willis came on to get the final out for the save. Ricketts, starting at catcher for the injured Tim McCarver, was 2 for 5 with four RBIs.
Injury note: 1935 left fielder Joe “Ducky” Medwick was injured during the game and his return to the series is uncertain.
Game 5 (at 1935): 1967 5, 1935 4
Key moment: Down 2-0, the 1967 team tied with two runs in the fifth inning and took the lead with three in the sixth. In the fifth, Lou Brock provided the key hit with a one-out triple off Dizzy Dean, which scored Dal Maxvill. Brock then scored on a Curt Flood ground out. An inning later, Dave Ricketts continued to step up in a big way with a three-run home run off Dean.
Player of the game: Dick Hughes pitched 6.1 innings, allowing three runs on seven hits. He struck out five and walked three. Ron Willis finished the seventh inning and allowed a run while recording the first out in the eighth, before giving way to Jack Lamabe. Lamabe gave up another run while finishing the game. The 1935 team had runners on first and second when Lamabe got Bill DeLancey to fly out to end the game.
Injury note: Mike Shannon was injured and his status is uncertain for the remainder of the series. Medwick is out at least three weeks with a knee injury and may be finished for the tournament.
Game 6 (at 1967): 1967 3, 1935 2
Key moment: Down 2-0, the 1967 team scored single runs in the seventh and eighth innings to win the game and send the series to a Game 7. In the seventh, Dal Maxvill coaxed a lead-off walk from 1935 starter Bill Walker. A sacrifice bunt from pitcher Steve Carlton moved him to second. Lou Brock then drew a walk, before a wild pitch moved the base runners to second and third. Curt Flood then flew out, but a walk to Roger Maris loaded the bases. A balk called on Walker scored Maxvill, tying the game but Walker did get Orlando Cepeda to fly out, ending the inning with it still tied. In the eighth, Dave Ricketts connected for a two-out double off Walker. After an intentional walk to Bobby Tolan, Maxvill followed with another double, allowing Ricketts to score the game-winning run.
Player of the game: Carlton pitched seven innings, allowing two runs on four hits. He struck out 10 and walked three. Joe Horner pitched around a pair of hits and a walk over the final two innings to earn the save.
Game 7 (at 1967): 1967 2, 1935 1
Key moment: Pepper Martin drew a walk from Bob Gibson to open the game for the 1935 team and came around to score on a one-out single from Frankie Frisch, after advancing to second on a grounder. But in the bottom half of the first, Curt Flood connected for a one-out single off 1935 starter Paul Dean. He moved to second on a wild pitch and third on a Roger Maris single. A ground out moved runners to second and third, with two outs. And Julian Javier scored them both with a double, which was enough to give the 1967 team the win and an improbable comeback from a 3-0 series deficit.
Player of the game: After a rough outing in a Game 1 loss, Gibson turned in his second strong performance allowing just one run on two hits over seven innings. He struck out six and walked a pair. Joe Horner struck out four of the six batters he faced in a perfect two innings to earn the save.
Series summary: Probably the best series so far, with a nice comeback by the 1967 club. Gibson pitched like Gibson in his Game 4 and 7 victories. The key series, and it may have been my fault as I set the lineup and rotations for both teams, was my decision to not have Dizzy Dean pitch Game 4. But with a 3-0 series lead, I figured to give him an extra day of rest for Game 5. I also knew I still had Paul Dean left to pitch a potential Game 7, if necessary, which he did and pitched well but didn’t get any run support. The key loss was Dizzy Dean’s in Game 5. That is a game I was expecting the 1935 team to win.
Series MVP: Curt Flood batted .355 with three runs scored and an RBI for the 1967 team. I would have gone with Dave Ricketts, who batted .300 with a team-high seven RBIs after replacing Tim McCarver behind the plate during Game 3. Gibson was 2-0 in the series with a 3.18 ERA.
Injury note: Shannon and McCarver should both be available for the next round of the tournament after missing games in this series due to injuries.
Attached Images

Last edited by rink23; 04-26-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:25 PM   #23
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Quarterfinal bracket

The 1967 team is the only one of the top-eight seeds left in the tournament and only World Series champion.
The 1930, 1968, 1987 and 2004 teams lost in the World Series.
The 2005 team lost in the National League championship series.
The 2015 team lost in the National League division series.
The 1949 team finished second in the National League.
But the 1967, 2004, 2005 and 2015 teams all won at least 100 games.
The 2004 team was 105-67. The 1967 team was 101-60 and the 2005 and 2015 teams both were 100-62.
The 1968 team was 97-65.
The 1949 team went 96-58 and its .623 winning percentage ranks third overall of the remaining team.
The 1987 went 95-67.
The 1930 team went 92-62.
So they were all very good teams and legitimately better than some of the teams that won championships.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Attached Images

Last edited by rink23; 04-26-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:19 AM   #24
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Glitch issue slowing tournament

Due to a computer glitch with the lineups, I am having trouble completing thequarterfinal series between the 1969 and 2015 teams.
I set the lineups manually before playing/siming the game, but I have run into issue where I click out of the screen where you can set lineups, an different lineup appears in the game.
The first time I attempted it, it was a Game 3, I got a lineup where the 1968 team had cleanup hitter Orlando Cepeda batting leadoff.
So I started over.
The second time, it was a Game 7, and the 2015 lineup had Matt Holliday batting lead off and a few other issues from what I wanted.
So again, I decided to start the series over.
Seriously, when would Matt Holliday ever bat leadoff.
I thought about making it a one-game series -- but that would not be fair for the 2015 team, as it would take away the fatigue factor for Bob Gibson, who would be starting Game 7 on three days rest.
So, I decided I will try it again Saturday, maybe, when I am in a better mood.
Sorry, just venting.

Last edited by rink23; 04-30-2016 at 03:20 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:17 AM   #25
rink23
Hall Of Famer

1968 Cardinals sweep 2015 Cardinals 4-0

Quarterfinal No. 1
(17) 1968 Cardinals (97-65, World Series runner-up) vs. (25) 2015 Cardinals (100-62, NL Central champs lost in NLDS)
Outlook: The key to the series may be a player who is not there, as Lou Brock will be unavailable for the 1968 team after suffering a tournament-ending injury in a second-round sweep of top-seeded 1942 Cardinals. Bobby Tolan will get first shot at his filling his spot in left field, center fielder Curt Flood will hit atop their batting order. The 2015 will be without second baseman Kolten Wong, also because of injury Pete Kozma and Greg Garcia will fill the second base role in his absence. Otherwise, both teams were impressive in the second round, the 1968 club with its sweep and the 2015 team with a 4-1 win over the 1964 World Series championship team. Bob Gibson on the mound will give the 1968 team something the 2015 team cannot counter. But the tournament has not been kind to teams that attempt to start its No. 1 starter three times, even if it is a Gibson or Dizzy Dean. The 2015 team will always be underrated because of its first-round exit against the Cubs and I would not see surprised to see it pull off the upset. Prediction: 1968 team in seven games.
As you can see in the above post, I had issues getting this series in. I tried it for a third time and this time it came out as a sweep for the 1968 team, which is too bad because the seven game series I had too abort had been so competitive. I am just glad to be able to move on.
Game 1 (at Busch Stadium II): 1968 7, 2015 1
Key moment: Tied 1-1, the 1968 team took the lead for good with two runs in the bottom of the fifth inning off 2015 starter John Lackey. Bobby Tolan reached first on a fielder’s choice that led to the first out. He stole second and after a walk to Dal Maxvill a sacrifice bunt from pitcher Bob Gibson put runners at second and third. Curt Flood followed with a single, scoring both runners. The 1968 team broke the game open with four runs in the seventh inning, Orlando Cepeda had a two-run single and Curt Flood and Roger Maris both had run-scoring hits.
Player of the game: Gibson pitched seven innings, allowing one run on one hit. He struck out 10 and walked two. Joe Horner completed the one-hitter with two perfect innings. A Jason Heyward RBI single in the fourth inning scored the 2015 team’s lone run.
Game 2 (at Busch Stadium II): 1968 4, 2015 3
Key moment: Down 2-1, the 1968 took the lead for good in the bottom of the fourth inning against 2015 starter Michael Wacha. It all came with two outs, Bobby Tolan drawing a walk, followed by a Dal Maxvill single. Pitcher Steve Carlton then doubled, scoring both runs. The 1968 team added an insurance run in the sixth when Mike Shannon hit a solo homer off Wacha.
Player of the game: In addition to a two for three effort at the plate, which included three RBIs, Carlton pitched seven innings, allowing three runs on nine hits. He struck out 13 and walked three. Horner allowed just one base runner in the eighth and ninth, to pick up his second two-inning save of the series.
Game 3 (at Busch Stadium III): 1968 4, 2015 2
Key moment: The 1968 team scored single runs in the opening three innings to build a 3-1 lead. Curt Flood got it started in the first, with a lead-off double off 2015 starter Jaime Garcia and scoring on a two-out double by Orlando Cepeda. In the second, Dick Simpson connected for a one-out solo homer, making it 2-0. After the 2015 team scored in the bottom of the second, the 1968 team answered in the top of the third, Julian Javier leading off the inning with a double. He took third on a Roger Maris ground out and scored when Cepeda followed with another ground out. After the 2015 team had pulled to within 3-2, the 1968ers got an insurance run in the seventh, Mike Shannon hitting a lead off homer off Garcia.
Player of the game: Ray Washburn pitched eight innings, allowing two runs on seven hits. He struck out 10 and walked one. Joe Horner tossed a 1-2-3 ninth for his second save of the series.
Game 4 (at Busch Stadium III): 1968 4, 2014 0
Key moment: The 1968 team broke loose for three runs in the top of the second inning against 2015 starter John Lackey and were never threatened as Gibson tossed a complete game. Tim McCarver started the second with a single and scored when Mike Shannon followed with a double. Another double, this one from Bobby Tolan, made it 2-0. Tolan would score on a one-out ground out by Gibson.
Player of the game: Gibson allowed just three hits in his complete game outing. He struck out six and walked two.
Series summary: Unfortunately, this series was not as competitive as the seven-game aborted version seemed to be. The 1968 team’s pitching dominated, with Gibson helping to limit them to one and zero runs in its Games 1 and 4 wins. In Games 2 and 3, the 2015 team combined for just five runs. The 2015 team’s leadoff hitter, Matt Carpenter, hit .063 for the series. Stephen Piscotty (.176) Jhonny Peralta (.154) and Matt Holliday (.143) were not much better.
Series MVP: Gibson pitched 16 innings, allowing just one run on four hits. He struck out 16 and walked four. At the plate, Orlando Cepeda had five RBIs, while Dal Maxvill batted .417.
Attached Images

Last edited by rink23; 05-03-2016 at 03:47 AM. Reason: add stat box
Old 05-03-2016, 03:44 AM   #26
rink23
Hall Of Famer

2004 Cardinals defeat 1949 Cardinals 4-3

Quarterfinal No. 2 – (21) 1949 Cardinals (96-58 second place NL) vs. (13) 2004 Cardinals (105-57, World Series runner-up)
Outlook: The 2004 team has been impressive dropping just three games in its first two rounds, including a 4-1 win over the 1946 World Series champions. With that, they will have ace Chris Carpenter available for Game 1 and he could make up to three starts in the series. The 1949 team comes in off a 4-3 upset of fifth-seeded 1934 team in the second round. With that, they’ll have to go with No. 3 starter Al Brazle in Game 1.The 1949 team does feature Stan Musial, Red Schoendienst in its everyday lineup, which makes them dangerous. It, however, will be without two part-time starters, catcher Joe Garagiola and third baseman Tommy Glaviano, because of injuries. The 2004 club has Albert Pujols, Scott Rolen and Jim Edmonds. Prediction: The 2004 team wins in six games and is at full strength.
Game 1 (at Busch Stadium II): 2004 5, 1949 4
Key moments: Down 4-1, the 2004 team rallied late to take the series opener. Two-out walks to Albert Pujols and Jim Edmonds, followed by a Scott Rolen single off 1949 reliever Bill Reeder loaded the bases, and pinch-hitter John Mabry delivered, hitting a single to score the first two runs. Edgar Renteria followed with a double, this one off Max Lanier, to score Rolen and make it 4-4. An inning later, Yadier Molina followed with a solo homer off Ted Wilks to win it.
Player of the game: Mabry, for his pinch-hit, two-run single in the eighth inning, and Molina, for his solo homer in the ninth inning to win it.

Game 2 (at Busch Stadium II): 1949 3, 2004 1
Key moment: The 1949 scored all of its runs in the top of the first inning off 2004 starter Matt Morris. Chuck Diering got it going with a lead-off double. (Diering was injured on the play and replaced by Ed Sauer). Red Schoendienst then reached on an error by second baseman Tony Womack. An Enos Slaughter one-out single scored Sauer with the inning’s first run. A Nippy Jones single then loaded the bases. A two-out bases loaded walk to Del Jones scored, Schoendienst, making it 2-0. A single from Eddie Kazak then scored Slaughter, making it 3-0.
Player of the game: Howie Pollet pitched eight innings, allowing one run on five hits. He struck out eight and walked one. Ted Wilks pitched around a hit in the ninth to earn a save.
Injury note: Diering left the game in the first inning with a hamstring injury. He will miss the remainder of the tournament.
Game 3 (at Sportsman’s Park: 2004 3, 1949 2, 15 innings
Key moment: Yadier Molina came through with another key hit, this time a one-out double off reliever Max Lanier in the top of the 15th inning, to open the door to the game-winning run. Pitcher Kiko Calero followed with a single, moving Molina to third. Lanier struck out Tony Womack for the second out, but Hector Luna’s ground ball was booted by second baseman Red Schoendienst, allowing Molina to score. In the bottom of the 15th, Calero struck out Marty Marion before allowing a double to Del Rice. But he got Eddie Kazak to strike out and Lanier to fly out to end it. A two-run home run from Jim Edmonds off 1949 starter Harry “Big Cat” Breechen in the top of the second had staked the 2004 team to a 2-0 lead that would last until the bottom of the ninth when closer Jason Isringhausen walked Eddie Kazak with the bases loaded to score a run. Lou Klein then tied it with a sacrifice fly.
Player of the game: Williams pitched 8 innings, allowing two runs on seven hits. He struck out three and walked nine. Isringhausen got the first two outs of the ninth, before giving way to Julian Taveras got Scheondienst to hit into a fielder’s choice to force extra innings. He was followed to the mound by Steve Kline (2.1 innings), Ray King (2 innings) and Calero (1.2), who earned the win. Breechen matched Williams’ eight innings, also allowing his two runs on three hits. He struck out 11 and walked two.
Game 4 (at Sportsman’s Park): 2004 7, 1949 4
Key moments: Tied 2-2, the 2004 team took the lead for good with single runs in the third and fourth innings and two more in the sixth, after the 1949 squad had made it 4-3. Tony Womack led off the top of the third with a single off 1949 starter Red Munger. He scored on a Larry Walker double. In the fourth, Mike Matheny led off with a single and took second on an error by left fielder Stan Musial. A Chris Carpenter sac bunt moved him to third and Matheny scored on a Tony Womack fly ball. In the sixth, Matheny drew a lead off walk from reliever Bill Reeder. Womack then reached on a one-out error by shortstop Marty Marion. A Larry Walker single loaded the bases for Albert Pujols, who chased home Matheny and Womack with a double.
Player of the game: Womack was 3 for 4 with three singles, three runs scored and an RBI.
Injury note: Larry Walker and Albert Pujols of the 2004 team were both injured during the game. Walker is out for two weeks with a back injury. The status of Pujols is uncertain.
Game 5 (at Sportsman’s Park): 1949 4, 2004 0
Key moments: The 1949 team scored the only run it would need in the bottom of the fourth, when Stan Musial belted a lead-off home run off 2004 starter Jeff Suppan. The 1949 team added two-more runs in the sixth, Nippy Jones hitting a two-run homer off reliever Ray King. An RBI single from Red Schoendienst off Cal Eldred in the eighth made it 4-0.
Player of the game: Howie Pollet went eight scoreless innings, allowing just six hits. He struck out eight and walked one. Al Brazle sealed it with a scoreless ninth,
Game 6 (at Busch Stadium II): 1949 9, 2004 7
Key moments: Tied 4-4, the 1949 team scored three runs in the sixth inning and two more in the seventh to go up 9-4 and held on for the win to send the series to a Game 7. With Ray King having replaced starter Matt Morris on the mound, Eddie Kazak and pinch-hitter Lou Klein greeted him with back-to-back doubles, Kazak scoring, to open the top of the sixth. After a Red Schoendienst ground out moved Klein to third. He scored on a Enos Slaughter double. After King intentionally walked Stan Musial, and was replaced by Cal Eldred, Nippy Jones hit a sacrifice fly, putting runners at the corners. Marty Marion followed with a single, scoring Slaughter, making it 7-4. In the seventh, Red Schoendienst had an RBI double and Rocky Nelson a pinch-hit run-scoring single, also off Eldred.
Player of the game: Slaughter was 3 for 3 with a double, a homer, three runs scored and three RBIs.
Game 7 (at Busch Stadium II): 2004 9, 1949 5
Key moments: A three-run first and another run in the second inning off 2004 starter Chris Carpenter helped the 1949 team race to a 4-0 lead. But the 2004 squad rallied, beginning in the bottom of the third when an Edgar Renteria single scored Mike Matheny, who had reached with a lead-off single off Al Brazle. The 2004 team then took the lead with four runs in the bottom of the fourth, when Jim Edmonds led off with a single off reliever Ken W. Johnson. A walk to Scott Rolen put runners at first and second. Reggie Sanders scored the inning’s first run with a double. Edmonds then scored on a So Taguchi ground out. Womack drove in the inning’s third run with a bases-loaded single. Matheny scored the fourth and final run, coming home when Renteria hit into a fielder’s choice, making it 5-4. The 1949 team tied it in the top of the fifth, when Ron Northey had a one-out double and scored on a Eddie Kazak single. But the 2004 team took the lead for good in the seventh against reliever Bill Reeder. Albert Pujols drew a walk to being the inning and moved to third on a Jim Edmonds double. Scott Rolen reached, and Pujols scored, when center fielder Ron Northey misplayed a ground ball, breaking the tie at 6-5. So Taguchi then banged a one-run single, scoring Edmonds to make it 7-5. Another Northey error, on a ball hit by Edmonds, led to another run in the eighth. Rolen also had an RBI single, again off Reeder, top make it 9-5.
Player of the game: Edmonds was 2 for 4 with two runs scored and an RBI. Renteria and Taguchi also drove in two runs apiece,
Series summary; A pretty poorly played series with lots of runs and errors and not much quality pitching. 2004 ace Carpenter was 1-0 in three starts but had an ERA of 6.88. Howie Pollet was 2-0 with a 0.56 ERA for the 1949 team, but was limited to two starts. The 2004 team will miss Larry Walker for the next round, but he could be back if they make it to the finals. Marty Marion batted .517 for the 1949 team, while Enos Slaughter batted .400 with six RBIs and Stan Musial .419 with five RBIs.
Series MVP: Jim Edmonds hit .400 with five RBIs. John Mabry, at .308, was the only other member of the 2004 team to hit over .300. Albert Pujols missed a game with an injury and only batted .174, but did have four RBIs.
Attached Images

Last edited by rink23; 05-03-2016 at 03:46 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:33 AM   #27
rink23
Hall Of Famer

1930 Cardinals defeat 2005 Cardinals 4-2

Quarterfinal No. 3 (23) 2005 Cardinals (100-62, NL Central champions, lost in NLCS) vs. (18) 1930 Cardinals (92-62, NL champions)
Overview: The absence of 2005 ace Chris Carpenter because of an injury may be enough to swing this series in favor of the 1930 team. Minus Carpenter, the 2005 squad just doesn’t seem to have the starting pitching – Matt Morris and Mark Mulder will go Games No. 1 and 2 – to match up against Syl Johnson and Bill Hallahan, who have both gone 3-0 in the tournament with ERAs well under 2.00. The one thing the 2005 team has on its side is an impressive offense, led by Albert Pujols,, who was MVP of both of his team’s first two series. But the 1930 squad can counter with Hall of Famers Frankie Frisch, “Sunny” Jim Bottomley and unheralded right fielder George Watkins, who has hit five home runs in 10 tournament games. Prediction: 1930 team takes it in six games.
Game 1 (at Sportsman’s Park): 1930 4, 2005 3
Key moments: Down 3-2, the 1930 team tied it with a run in the bottom of the eighth inning and won it an inning later. Facing 2005 starter Matt Morris, Taylor Douhit reached on an error by Scott Rolen with one out in the eighth. He then scored all the way from first when Sparky Adams followed with a single. In the ninth, with Morris still on the mound, Jimmie Wilson reached on a two-out error by second baseman Mark Grudzielanek. A passed ball moved him to second and he scored on a single by pinch-hitter Gus Mancuso.
Player of the game: Syl Johnson went the distance allowing three runs on six hits. He struck out eight and walked a pair.
Game 2 (at Sportsman’s Park): 1930 3, 2005 2
Key moments: Trailing 2-1, Jimmie Wilson connected for a two-out, two-run home run off Mark Mulder in the seventh inning to give his team the lead for good. George Watkins preceded Wilson across the plate, reaching on a two-out double.
Player of the game: “Wild” Bill Hallahan improved to 4-0 in the postseason with a complete-game effort. He allowed two runs on six hits. He struck out 10 and walked six.
Game 3 (at Busch Stadium II): 2005 8, 1930 2
Key moments: The 2005 team scored single runs in the first, second, third and fifth innings to build a 4-0 lead. It then turned it into a rout with four runs in the seventh. David Eckstein scored the first-inning run, when he led off with a single off 1930 starter Burleigh Grimes. A ground ball moved him to second and he took third on an Albert Pujols ground out. Eckstein then scored on a wild pitch. In the second, Reggie Sanders singled, stole second and scored on an Eckstein single. The third saw Jim Edmonds lead off with a double and scored on a Mark Grudzielanek ground out. In the fifth, Grudzielanek and Sanders opened the inning with singles and scored on an Eckstein single. The big seventh inning was opened by a lead-off homer by Sanders. It also featured another Eckstein single, an RBI double from Pujols and Pujols scoring on a single that led to an error by left fielder Chick Hafey.
Player of the game: Sanders was 4 for 4 with a homer and two runs scored. Eckstein was 4 for 5 with two runs scored and three RBIs. 2004 starter Jeff Suppan pitched a complete game, allowing two runs on eight hits. He struck out two and walked three.
Injury note: Scott Rolen is out for a week with an injury issue. He will miss the remainder of the series.

Game 4 (at Busch Stadium II): 1930 12, 2005 9
Key moment: The 1930 team exploded for eight runs in the top of the second and held off a late comeback. Taylor Douhit had two hits in the inning, an RBI single that scored the first run and a two-run single which capped the scoring. Frankie Frisch had a two-run double. Chick Hafey had a two-run single and George Watkins drove in a run with a double. The 1930 team’s lead would grow to 12-1 before the 2005 squad really started its comeback with a three-run sixth innings
Player of the game: Frisch was 3 for 5 with a double, three runs scored and four RBIs.
Injury note: 1930 center fielder Taylor Douhit was injured while running the bases. He will miss six days, meaning he is out for the series, but will be available should his team advance to the next round. Burleigh Grimes is also injured and will miss the remainder of this series. But would be able to pitch as early as Game 2 in the next round, if necessary.
Game 5 (at Busch Stadium II): 2005 9, 1930 1
Key moment: The 2005 Cards scored twice in the second inning off 1930 start Syl Johnson and added four more in the fourth to send the series back to Sportsman’s Park. Abraham Nunez and Matt Morris had RBI singles in the second inning, while in the fourth Morris had a two-run single and Jim Edmonds cranked a two-run homer.
Player of the game: Morris went the distance on the mound, allowing the one run on seven hits. He struck out four and walked one. Meanwhile, at the plate he was 2 for 3 with three RBIs.
Game 6 (at Sportsman’s Park): 1930 12, 2005 8
Key moments: Down 4-3, the 1930 team grabbed control of the game with three runs in the bottom of the fifth and two more sixth. It later put the game away with a four-run eighth, meaning it could withstand a four-run outburst by the 2005 team in the top of the ninth inning. A two-out double by Jim Bottomley off 2005 starter Mark Mulder got things rolling in the fifth for the 1930 team. A George Watkins single scored Bottomley. Jimmie Wilson followed with a double, sending Watkins to third. He then scored when Showboat Fisher followed with a single. In the sixth, Frankie Frisch had an RBI single and Watkins collected another RBI, this one with a sacrifice fly. Its four-run eighth inning was highlighted by a two-run double by Charlie Gelbert. Jimmie Wilson also drove in a run with a single. Watkins collected his third RBI of the game on a fielder’s choice.
Player of the game: Frisch was 3 for 5 with a solo homer off Mulder in the third inning and four RBIs. Bill Hallahan pitched 8.2 innings, allowing eight runs on 17 hits. He struck out five and walked two. Reliever Hi Bell retired David Eckstein, the only batter he faced, on a fly out to end the game and series.
Series summary: The 1930 team won the first two games behind the pitching of Syl Johnson and Bill Hallahan then won slugfests in Games 4 (12-9) and 6 (12-8). Hallahan won both his starts, although he did allow eight runs in Game 6. Mark Mulder was 0-2 with a 7.24 ERA for the 2005 team. Matt Morris (1-1, 1.53 ERA) and Jeff Suppan (1-0, 2.00) both pitched well.
Series MVP: The 2005 team’s Reggie Sanders hit a mind-boggling .591 with 13 hits, three home runs and six RBIs in the series. Frankie Frisch paced the offense for the 1930 team, hitting .304 with a homer and nine RBIs. George Watkins also remained on a tear for the tournament, hitting .333 with a homer and six RBIs.
Attached Images

Last edited by rink23; 05-04-2016 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:53 AM   #28
rink23
Hall Of Famer

1967 Cardinals defeat 1987 Cardinals 4-2

Quarterfinal No. 3 (19) 1987 Cardinals (95-67, NL champions) vs. (6) 1967 (101-60, World Series champions)
Overview: An interesting matchup featuring the lone remaining World Series champion and the hottest team in the tournament, so far. The 1987 Redbirds have burned through the tournament with an 8-1 record, with a four-game sweep of its mirror image 1985 team in the opening round and a 4-1 win over the third-seeded 1931 world champions in the second. Its key has been its pitching, having never allowed more than three runs in its of its eight victories. Danny Cox leads the way with a 3-0 mark. Offensively, Tommy Herr has led the offense with 10 RBIs in nine game. Vince Coleman has caused all kinds of trouble from his spot atop the batting order and Willie McGee has drove in six runs in the opening series win over the 1985 team. As for the 1967 team, after receiving a first-round bye, it needed to reel off four straight wins to overcome a 3-0 deficit and defeat the 1935 World Series champs in the second round. Because of this, Bob Gibson will not be able to pitch until Game 3 in this series, taking him out of his role as starter for Games 1 4 and 7. This could play a key role in this series, if the 1987 squad and can sweep the opening two games, it will be tough to beat. The key offensive players for the 1967 team struggled in the opening round/ Dave Ricketts led it with seven RBIs in a reserve role for an injury Tim McCarver. McCarver will be back behind the plate for this round. Mike Shannon also returns after missing some time, he also had a strong opening round with five RBIs. Curt Flood topped its offense hitting .355. Prediction: Despite having Gibson available for just two starts, if the 1967 team can get a split in the first two games, I like its chances. The 1967 team in seven games.
Game 1 (at Busch Stadium II): 1967 3, 1987 1
Key moment: An RBI single by Terry Pendleton off Dick Hughes in the top of the second staked the 1987 team to an early 1-0 lead. But the 1967 World Series champions put up three runs in the bottom of the sixth inning off Danny Cox to grab the series opener. Lou Brock opened the inning with a double and tied the game when Curt Flood followed with a single. A walk to Roger Maris moved Flood to second. Cox then retired Orlando Cepeda and Tim McCarver, but a Mike Shannon single scored Flood with the tie-breaking run. Maris then scored when Julian Javier connected for the fourth hit of the inning.
Player of the game: Dick Hughes went eight innings, allowing one run on six hits. He struck out five and walked none. Joe Horner pitched around a pair of singles in the ninth to earn the save.
Game 2 (at Busch Stadium II): 1987 5, 1967 3
Key moments: Down 3-0, the 1987 team rallied late to earn a split in the opening two games. It got its first run in the seventh inning, when Tommy Herr led off with a single off Steve Carlton. A one-out single to Willie McGee followed by a walk to Terry Pendleton then loaded the bases. Jim Lindeman struck out for the second out, but Tony Pena reached and Herr scored when Carlton dropped the ball while trying to cover first base on a ground ball. The 1987 team then won the game in the top of the ninth against 1967 closer Joe Horner. Tony Pena set things in motion with a one-out triple. He scored when pinch-hitter Jose Oquendo grounded out. Vince Coleman then reached on a bunt single. Ozzie Smith moved him to second with a single off new pitcher Ron Willis. A Tommy Herr single scored Coleman, tying the game. A Jack Clark single then plated Smith, putting the 1987 team in front 4-3. A Willie McGee then scored Herr with an insurance run.
Player of the game: Steve Carlton pitched eight innings, allowing seven innings, allowing one run on five hits. He struck out eight and walked one. Horner pitched a scoreless eighth inning, but was on the mound when the 1987 got things rolling in the ninth. Joe Magrane pitched eight innings for the 1987 team, allowing three runs on six hits. He struck out four and walked three. Todd Worrell needed just four pitched to close out the ninth for the save.
Game 3 (at Busch Stadium II): 1967 3, 1987 0
Key moments: The 1967 team scored single runs in the second, fourth and ninth innings, which was more than enough with Bob Gibson making his first start of the series. The 1967 got its first run in the second off Greg Matthews. Tim McCarver reached on a one-out single, took second on a wild pitch and scored on a Julian Javier single. The fourth inning saw Mike Shannon, Julian Javier and Dal Maxvill collecting consectutive one-out single, Maxvill’s scoring Shannon, to make it 2-0. In the ninth, McCarver had a lead-off double off reliever Ken Dayler. A single, this one from Shannon, moved him to third. McCarver then scored on a Javier double.
Player of the game: Gibson pitched 6.2 innings, allowing seven hits. He struck out 10 and walked one. Ron Willis finished off the seventh inning and Joe Horner held the 1987 team scoreless in the eighth and ninth to collect a save. Matthews pitched eight innings for the 1987 team, allowing two runs on 10 hits. He struck out four and walked none.
Injury note: Gibson was forced to leave the game because of an injury. His status for the remainder of the series is uncertain.
Game 4 (at Busch Stadium II): 1967 6, 1987 0
Key moments: Dick Hughes was not just the hero on the mound, he also scored the only run his team would need. He led off the sixth inning with a single off John Tudor. A one-out single from Curt Flood moved him to second and he scored on a two-out single from Orlando Cepeda. The 1967 team broke the game open in the seventh, getting two-run homers from Julian Javier and Lou Brock to go up 5-0.
Player of the game: Hughes earned his second win of the series, this time going 7.1 shutout innings. He struck out three and walked three while allowing four hits. Ron Willis recorded the final two outs of the eighth inning and Nelson Briles tossed a scoreless ninth.
Game 5 (at Busch Stadium II): 1987 3, 1967 2, 15 innings
Key moment: Down 2-0 and facing elimination, the 1987 team tied the game with two runs in the bottom of the sixth inning and eventually won in the 15th. In the 15th, Dan Driessen reached on a lead-off single off reliever Hal Woodeshick. A fielder’s choice moved him to second. Terry Pendleton then drew a walk. A Curt Ford ground out put runners at second and third. A walk to Tony Pena then loaded the bases. Reliever Larry Jaster then got pitcher Bill Dawley to hit a ground ball to Dal Maxvill at shortstop. However, Maxvill booted the ball allowing Driessen to score the winning run. Earlier, Steve Carlton issued a one-out walk to Tommy Herr in the sixth and Jack Clark followed with a double putting runners at second and third. A Willie McGee single then scored Herr. Clark scored when Terry Pendleton followed with a sacrifice fly.
Player of the game: Danny Cox pitched seven innings for the 1987 team, allowing two runs on just two hits. He struck out two and walked two. He was followed to the mound by Todd Worrell (2 IP), Ken Dayley (3 IP), Ricky Horton (3.2 IP) and Dawley (0.1 IP), who got the win. Carlton also pitched seven innings, allowing two runs on seven hits. He struck out two and walked two.
Injury note: Gibson has a hamstring injury and is out for the remainder of the series, but would be available to start Game 1 of the semifinal round, if his team advances.
Game 6 (at Busch Stadium II): 1967 4, 1987 3
Key moments: Down 3-1, scored once in the third inning and twice in the fourth to take the lead for good and grab the series win. In the bottom of the third, Lou Brock led off with a triple off Joe Magrane and scored when Curt Flood followed with a sacrifice fly. An inning later, Tim McCarver, Mike Shannon and Julian Javier opened the inning with consecutive singles. McCarver scored on Javier’s single tying the score. Shannon then scored what proved to be the game-winning run on a two-out single by Brock.
Player of the game: Larry Jaster, making a spot start for the injured Gibson, went seven innings allowing three runs on five hits. He struck out three and walked three. Joe Horner allowed one hit over the final two innings to record his third save of the series.
Injury note: Ron Willis is out with an elbow injury, he will be eligible to return for Game 4 for the semifinal round.
Series summary: Dick Hughes picked up the slack for an injured Gibson turning in a pair of strong mound outings in Game 1 and 4 victories. Gibson did win his only outing and Larry Jaster stepped up big time in his Game 6 spot start. The 1987 offense was effectively held in check, managing just 12 runs in six games and being shutout in Games 3 and 4. At the plate, Julian Javier batted .400 with six RBIs. Mike Shannon had four RBIs. Jack Clark with a .381 average and Terry Pendleton at .348 led the 1987 team, which did not hit a home run in the six games.
Series MVP: Hughes with his 2-0 effort. He pitched 15.1 innings, allowing just 10 hits while striking out eight and walking three. Steve Carlton did not get a win, but still posted an ERA of 1.29 in 14 innings. Joe Horner earned three saves and posted a 2.70 ERA in 6.2 innings of relief work.
Attached Images

Last edited by rink23; 05-05-2016 at 02:55 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:11 AM   #29
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Semfinal bracket

The Final Four is set, with four teams from three different eras.
Semifinal No. 1
(17) 1968 Cardinals (97-67, NL champions, 12-2)
vs.
(13) 2004 Cardinals (105-57, NL champions, 12-6)
Semifinal No. 2
(18) 1930 Cardinals (92-62, NL champions, 12-5)
vs.
(6) 1967 Cardinals (101-60, World Series champions, 8-5)

Injuries could be an issue, as the 1968 team has lost Lou Brock for the remainder of the tournament. The 2004 team will not have Larry Walker until Game 5 of the finals, if it gets that far. The 1930 team has lost Burleigh Grimes until Game 2 of the semfinals. The 1967 team is without Ron Willis until Game 4 of the semifinals.
Attached Images
Old 05-06-2016, 02:59 AM   #30
rink23
Hall Of Famer

2004 Cardinals defeat 1968 Cardinals 4-3

Semifinal No. 1 – (17) 1968 Cardinals (97-67, NL champions, 12-2) vs. (13) 2004 Cardinals (105-57, NL champions, 12-6)
Overview: Both teams will be without key position players because of injuries. The 1968 team is minus lead-off hitter and Hall of Famer Lou Brock while the 2004 squad is without right fielder Larry Walker. The 1968 team has posted the best record of the remaining teams, going 12-2 through the first three rounds, including a 4-0 sweep of the 2015 Redbirds in the quarterfinals. Its dominance will put their starting pitchers at full strength, meaning Bob Gibson will be available to pitch Games 1, 4 and 7. On the other hand, the 2004 team was forced to seven games in its quarterfinal win over the 1949 team. This means that No. 1 starter Chris Carpenter and No. 2 Matt Morris will not be available to open the series. That honor will fall to Woody Williams, with Morris going in Game 2 and Carp in Game 3. Not surprisingly, Gibson has been dominant through the first three rounds with a record of 5-0. 1968 No. 2 starter Steve Carlton is 4-1. Williams has gone 2-0 for the 2004 team, while Carpenter checks in at 3-2. At the plate, Orlando Cepeda paces the 1968 team with 13 RBIs, one more than Roger Maris. Tim McCarver has seven. For the 2004 club, Albert Pujols has 14 RBIs while Reggie Sanders has 10 while hitting five home runs. Prediction: The 1-2 punch of Gibson and Carlton will probably be too much, the 1968 team wins in six games.
Game 1 (at Busch Stadium II): 2004 7, 1968 3
Key moment: The 2004 Cardinals blasted Bob Gibson for six runs in the bottom of the first inning and cruised to a series-opening win. Gibson recorded two outs before getting into trouble, with a two-out single by Albert Pujols. Jim Edmonds followed with a double and both runners scored on a Scott Rolen single. A walk to Reggie Sanders kept things rolling and So Taguchi followed with a two-run double. Mike Matheny capped the outburst with a two-run home run.
Player of the game: Woody Williams pitched 8.1 innings, allowing three runs on four hits. He struck out four and walked one. Jason Isringhausen got the final two outs to end it. Gibson lasted just two innings, allowing six runs on five hits. He struck out two and walked the same.
Game 2 (at Busch Stadium II): 1968 6, 2004 4, 10 innings
Key moment: The 1968 team scored twice in the top of the 10th inning to win a game it once trailed 2-0. After a pinch-hit RBI single by 2004’s Ray Lankford had tied the game at 4-4 in the bottom of the ninth, the 1968ers won it in the next half inning on a two-run pinch-hit homer from Johnny Edwards off closer Jason Isringhausen. Dal Maxvill had opened the inning with a double. Down 2-0, the 1968 team took the lead with four runs in the top of the seventh off 2004 starter Matt Morris. Orlando Cepeda did most of the damage with a three-run homer. Bobby Tolan drove in the other run with a single.
Player of the game: Steve Carlton pitched eight innings for the 1968 squad, allowing three runs on eight hits. He struck out five and walked none. Joe Horner allowed the tying run in the ninth, but pitched a scoreless 10th to earn the win. Morris pitched seven innings, allowing four runs on 10 hits. He struck out two and walked none.
Game 3 (at Busch Stadium II): 1968 3, 2004 1
Key moment: Scott Rolen’s solo home run off 1968’s Ray Washburn in the top of the fifth gave the 2004 team a 1-0 lead. But Julian Javier erased it in the bottom of the sixth, connecting for a two-run home run off Chris Carpenter, giving his team the lead. The 1968 team added an insurance run in the eighth off Carpenter, Bobby Tolan leading off with a single and scoring, moving to second on a Dal Maxvill bunt and scoring on a pinch-hit single from Johnny Edwards.
Player of the game: Ray Washburn combined with four relievers to earn his third win of the tournament. He pitched seven innings of three-hit baseball, allowing one run while striking out six and walked a pair. Wayne Granger and Mel Nelson combined on a 1-2-3 eighth inning and Joe Horner hurled a scoreless ninth for his second save of the series. Carpenter went the distance for the 2004 team, allowing three runs on five hits. He struck out six and walked none.
Game 4 (at Busch Stadium II): 1968 3, 2004 1
Key moment: The 1968 team pushed across three runs in the bottom of the third inning against Woody Williams, and that was all Bob Gibson would need. Tim McCarver opened the top of the third with a double. Mike Shannon was then hit by a pitch and after a strike out of Bobby Tolan, Dal Maxvill singled to load the bases. Gibson then hit a ground ball to shortstop Edgar Renteria, which he bobbled for an error which allowed pinch-runner Johnny Edwards to score. Reliever Kiko Calero then hit Curt Flood to score the inning’s second run. A sacrifice fly by Julian Javier than capped the scoring.
Player of the game: Gibson pitched eight innings, allowing just one run on two hits. He struck out five and walked one. Joe Horner pitched around a two-out walk to Jim Edmonds, getting Scott Rolen to fly out to end it and record his third save of the series.
Injury notes: McCarver was injured while running out his double in the third inning and had to leave the game. Williams left in the same inning with an injury. Williams is out for five days and will miss the remainder of the series, but will be available for the next round should his team advance. McCarver will be available for Game 5.
Game 5 (at Busch Stadium II): 2004 3, 1968 2
Key moment: Down 2-1, the 2004 team tied it in the top of the eighth inning and won it in the ninth. Albert Pujols tied it in the eighth with a one-out solo home run off 1968 starter Steve Carlton. An inning later, pinch-hitter Marlon Anderson reached with a one-out walk from reliever Wayne Granger. He scored on a two-out double from Tony Womack.
Player of the game: Steve Carlton went eight innings, allowing two runs on eight hits. He struck out 11 and walked just one. For the 2004 team, Jeff Suppan pitched five innings, allowing just one run on two hits. He struck out two and walked none. Kiko Calero pitched a scoreless sixth inning. Steve Kline and Ray King combined to do the same in the seventh. Julian Tavarez pitched around a walk in the eighth and Jason Isringhausen tossed a 1-2-3 ninth for his first save of the series.
Note: Showing I sometimes know more than the CPU running the game. The CPU wanted to start Jason Marquis in Game 5 for the 2004 team. Anyone who followed the Cardinals in 2004 and 2005 knows that Jeff Suppan was a much better big game pitcher than Marquis, which I why I made the switch. It looked like it worked out.
Game 6: 2004 7, 1968 3
Key moment: Down 1-0, the 2004 team took the lead with a pair of runs in the bottom of the first off 1968 starter Ray Washburn. Edgar Renteria got things rolling with a one-out single. He scored on an Albert Pujols triple. Pujols then scored when Jim Edmonds grounded out. An RBI single from Pujols in the third inning made it 3-1. Four runs in the fifth – Tony Womack, Pujols, Edmonds and Scott Rolen all driving in runs – later made it 7-1.
Player of the game: Chris Carpenter went eight innings, allowing one run on five hits. He struck out eight and walked two. Steve Kline tried to close it out, but allowed a pair of runs in the ninth. Julian Tavarez got Curt Flood to ground out with two runners on to end it. Pujols was 3 for 4 with two runs scored and two RBIs.

Game 7 (at Busch Stadium II): 2004 10, 1968 9
Key moments: What a wild game. It featured a five-run fourth inning for the 2004 team, which gave it a 4-0 lead. A seven-run top of the fifth for 1968, which put it up 7-5. A two-run top of the eighth for 1968, which made it 9-6. And a four-run bottom of the eighth, which game the 2004 team the win. In that bottom of the eighth, Reggie Sanders drew a lead-off walk from reliever Wayne Granger. A So Taguchi sacrifice bunt moved him to second and a Mike Matheny single put runners at the corners
With reliever Hal Gilson now in for Granger, pinch-hitter Ray Langford doubled to score Sanders and putting Matheny at third. Tony Womack then reached on a dropped third strike by Tim McCarver, Mathney crossing the plate, making it 9-8. Edgar Renteria then tied it with a single off reliever Ron Willis. Albert Pujols followed with the fourth hit of the inning, scoring Womack with what would be the series-clinching run.
Earlier, the 2004 team’s five-run fourth had been highlighted by a three-run homer from Womack. The 1968’s seven-run fifth had featured a grand slam by McCarver. In the top of the eighth, a two-run homer by Curt Flood had made it 9-6.
Player of the game: Womack was 4 for 5 with a homer, two runs scored and four RBIs. Starting pitcher Matt Morris lasted just 4.1 innings, allowing seven runs on six hits. He struck out two and walked one. Kiko Calero finished the fifth inning and tossed a scoreless sixth. Steve, Kline, Ray King and Julian Tavarez then combined to pitched the seventh and eighth innings, the two runs allowed going to King. Jason Isringhausen pitched around a two-out single in the ninth by Bobby Tolan, getting Dal Maxvill to fly out to earn his second save of the series. Gibson struggled for the second time in the series, lasting just four innings. He allowed five runs on six hits. He struck out six and walked two.
Series summary: Down 3-1, the 2004 club reeled off three straight wins by dialing up the offense in Games 6 and 7, posting wins of 7-3 and 10-9, respectively, after winning Game 5 3-2 to get the series back to its home field (which also happened to be the 1968 team’s home field). The key to the series was Gibson’s losses in Games 1 and 7, no one expected that to happen. Gibson finished the series with a 1-1 record and a 7.71 ERA. The 2004 team’s ace, Chris Carpenter, was not much better, but earned a key win in Game 6 to force Game 7. Woody Williams turned in a strong start in the opener for 2004. Relief pitchers earned the victory in four of seven games as the starters on both sides struggled.
Series MVP: Albert Pujols batted .345 with two homers and five RBIs. But he had plenty of competition. Tony Womack had a huge Game 7 and batted .333 with six RBIs. Scott Rolen and Jim Edmonds had five and four RBIs, respectively. For the 1968 team, no starters batted better than Julian Javier’s .280. Orlando Cepeda and Tim McCarver both had five RBIs, but batted just .071 and .200, respectively.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by rink23; 05-06-2016 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:37 AM   #31
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Preview of 1930 Cardinals vs. 1967 Cardinals semfinal

Semifinal No. 2 - (18) 1930 Cardinals (92-62, NL champs, 12-5) vs. (6) 1967 Cardinals (101-60, World Series champs, 8-5)

Overview: The lone World Series champion remaining in the field will look to pull off what its 1968 mirror image could not, reach the final where it would face the 2004 Cardinals. A team that just dispatched the '68 club in a thrilling seven-game semifinal. The pitching lines up well for the 1968 club. Bob Gibson is back from an injury which kept him out of the final two games of the 4-2 semifinal win over the 1987 team and will be available to go games 1, 4 and 7. He has a tournament record of 3-0 as does fellow starter Dick Hughes, who will start Game 2. Steve Carlton does not have a decision, but sports an ERA in the low 1.00s. Offensively, the 1968 has struggled to score. It is led with the bat by Julian Javier and Mike Shannon, who both have nine RBIs apiece. The 1930 team has quietly gone 12-5 in tournament play and looked good both offensively and on the mound while doing it. "Wild" Bill Hallahan boasts a 5-0 record through three rounds of tournament play while Syl Johnson is 4-1. At the plate, George Watkins has been on a tear with six home runs and 19 RBIs. Frankie Frisch shook off a sluggish second round and has 11 RBIs in the tournament. Prediction: Even though the 1968 version of Gibson struggled in the other semifinal, I don't see it happening twice. The 1967 team -- led by Gibson, Carlton and Hughes -- takes it in seven games.
Note: I just read that the 1930 Cardinals were the only team in Major League Baseball history that had all eight of its primary position players bat over .300. Maybe that explains why this team is playing so well.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by rink23; 05-06-2016 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:21 AM   #32
rink23
Hall Of Famer

need a little help

I'd like to wrap this tournament up in the next day or two.
But i have an issue, the 1967 team has a reliever in Ron Willis, who was injured in the last round and should not be available until Game 4 of this series.
Since, I don't manually play out the game -- I set the lineups before each game and then sim -- how do I keep the computer from using him, without removing him from the roster, which would keep him out the entire series?
I know there is a player editor feature, where you can "injure" a player for a certain amount of time. But I cannot find it in Historical exhibition mode.
I am going to run into a similar issue in the finals, where Larry Walker of the 2004 Cardinals should be out until Game 5.
If I cannot figure it out, I will just not start Walker until Game 5 and just hope the simulator doesn't use him as a pinch hitter or defensive replacement.
Any help with this would be appreciated.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:57 AM   #33
rink23
Hall Of Famer

1967 Cardinals defeat 1930 Cardinals 4-3

Semifinal No. 2 - (18) 1930 Cardinals (92-62, NL champs, 12-5) vs. (6) 1967 Cardinals (101-60, World Series champs, 8-5)

Game 1 (at Busch Stadium II): 1968 3, 1930 1
Key moment; Tied 1-1 going into the bottom of the eighth inning, the 1968 team plated a pair of runs to make the difference in the series opener. Lou Brock drew a lead-off walk from Syl Johnson to open the inning. A single by Curt Flood and another walk, this one to Roger Maris, loaded the bases with no outs. Orlando Cepeda scored the first run with a sacrifice fly. Tim McCarver brought home the second with a ground out.
Player of the game: Bob Gibson pitched seven innings, allowing just one run on seven hits. He struck out four and walked one. Joe Horner scattered three hits over the eighth and ninth innings, but still earned a scoreless save.

Game 2 (at Busch Stadium II): 1930 12, 1968 3
Key moments: The 1930 scored three runs in the first, fourth and fifth innings to build a 9-1 lead. An error by second baseman Julian Javier on a ball hit by lead-off hitter Taylor Douhit to begin the game opened the floodgates. A Sparky Adams single off 1968 starter Steve Carlton moved Douhit to second and both runners scored when Frankie Frisch followed with a triple. Frisch later scored when George Watkins hit into a fielder's choice. In the fourth, pitcher "Wild" Bill Hallahan had an RBI double. Douhit drove in a run with a single and another run scored when Sparky Adams hit into a fielder's choice. The three-run fifth was highlighted by RBI singles from Chick Hafey and Watkins.
Player of the game: Watkins continued his impressive run through the tournament, going 3 for 4 with two RBIs and two runs scored. Douhit and Frisch also had two RBIs. On the mound, Hallahan pitched eight innings, allowing three runs on 10 hits. He struck out 10 and walked one. Jim Lindsey closed it with a scoreless ninth.

Game 3 (at Sportsman's Park): 1968 8, 1930 4
Key moments: The 1968 team jumped on 1930 starter Jesse Haines for three runs in the top of the first and two more in the second to take early control. Orlando Cepeda drove in all three first-inning runs with a home run. In the second, DIck Hughes reached on a dropped third strike with one out. He scored when right fielder George Watkins made a throwing error on a single by Lou Brock. A wild pitch moved Brock to third and he scored on a Curt Flood sacrifice fly. A two-run homer by Frankie Frisch was part of a three-run fifth inning for the 1930 club, cutting it to 5-3. But the 1968ers broke it open again with two runs in the seventh, Tim McCarver and Julian Javier both driving in runs with singles.
Player of the game: Dick Hughes went the distance, allowing four runs on nine hits. He struck out five and walked one.

Game 4 (at Sportsman's Park): 1967 4, 1930 1
Key moment: A three-run home run from Lou Brock off starter Syl Johnson broke a scoreless tie in the top of the seventh inning. Julian Javier and pinch-hitter Bobby Tolan got things going with one-out singles. After Bob Gibson struck out for the inning's second out, Brock launched a 344-foot blast.
Player of the game: Gibson turned in his second strong start of the series, taking a shutout into the ninth inning before finally giving up a run. Gibson would record the first two outs of the inning, before Joe Horner came on to strike out Ray Blades with two runners aboard to end it.

Game 5 (at Sportsman's Park): 1930 2, 1967 1
Key moment: The 1930 team got single runs off Steve Carlton -- both scored by Frankie Frisch -- in the bottom of the fourth and sixth innings to squeak out the win and keep the series going. Frisch scored the fourth inning, when he led off with a double, moved to third when Chick Hafey followed with a single and scored on a George Watkins sacrifice fly. Two innings later, Frisch drew a lead off walk and three singles later -- them coming from Jim Bottomley, Watkins and Jimmie Wilson - he scored to make it 2-0.
Player of the game: "Wild" Bill Hallahan was impressive again, pitching 8.1 innings, during which he allowed one run on four hits. He struck out 12 and walked one. The 1967 team got its lone run in the bottom of the ninth, when Curt Flood doubled off Hallahan and scored on a two-out double from Orlando Cepeda off closer Hi Bell. Bell, however got Tim McCarver to ground out to end it.

Game 6 (at Busch Stadium II): 1930 5, 1967 3
Key moments: A two-run home run from Orlando Cepeda in the first inning and an RBI single from Tim McCarver in the third, both off 1930 starter Burleigh Grimes, staked the 1967 team to a 3-0, but it didn't hold up. The 1930 club got a run back in the top of the fourth on an RBI single from Charlie Gelbert off 1967 starter Dick Hurges. It added another in the fifth, Chick Hafey driving home Taylor Douhit with a single. The 1930 team then grabbed the lead with a three-run sixth. Jim Bottomley and George Watkins led off the inning with singles, before Charlie Gelbert drove in Bottomley with a double. An intentional walk to Andy High then loaded the bases for pitcher Burleigh Grimes, who scored Watkins wth the go-ahead run with a sacrifice fly. Taylor Douhit then made it 5-3 with a single.
Player of the game: Orlando Cepeda went 3 for 4 with a home run and two RBIs, but it was not enough to keep his team from being forced to play a Game 7. Gelbert was 2 for 4 with a double and two RBIs. Grimes pitched seven innings, allowing three runs on 11 hits. He struck out dix and walked one. Hi Bell tossed scoreless eighth and ninth inning to earn his second save of the series.

Game 7 (at Busch Stadium II): 1967 3, 1930 2, 10 innings
Key moments: Tied 2-2 after nine innings, the 1967 world champions got the game and series winning run in the bottom of the 10th inning off 1930 closer Hi Bell. Tim McCarver scored the run after he reached on an error by shortstop Charlie Gelbert to begin the inning. A single from Mike Shannon moved McCarver to third. Julian Javier brought him home with a sacrifice fly. A two-run home run from Dal Maxvill off 1930 starter Syl Johnson staked the 1968 team to a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the third. The 1930 team tied it with single tallies in the fifth inning -- an RBI single from Taylor Douhit -- and seventh -- a solo homer by Andy High -- both runs being given up by Bob Gibson.
Player of the game: Syl Johnson went eight innings for the 1930 team, allowing two runs on three hits. He struck out four and walked none. Gibson pitched 7.2 innings for the 1967 team, allowing two runson six hits. He struck out five and walked one. Joe Horner finished the eighth inning and pitched a scoreless eighth. Ron Willis set the side down in order in the 10th, setting himself up to earn the win.

Series summary: Just like the other series, it went the distance only this team the team that fell at the end was not able to overcome a 3-1 deficit. Gibson was impressive with wins in Games 1 and 4 and turned in a strong outing in Game 7. Dick Hughes went the distance in his Game 3 victory. Steve Carlton was shelled in Game 2, but held his own against Bill Hallahan, who won both his starts and bows out the tournament with a 7-0 record. Syl Johnson pitched well in all three of his starts, but found himself unfortunately being paired against Gibson.
Series MVP: Curt Flood earned his second MVP of the tournament, batting .393 with and two RBIs. Orlando Cepeda hit .321 with two homers and seven RBIs. No other member of the 1967 team had more than three RBIs. Mike Shannon joined Cepeda in hitting two homers. For the 1930 team, Chick Hafey batted .357 with three RBIs. Taylor Douhit, Frankie Frisch, Charlie Gelbert and George Watkins all had four RBIs, but only Watkins, who hit .370, hit over .300. Hall of Famer Jim Bottomley batted just .140 with no homers and no RBIs.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by rink23; 05-07-2016 at 03:00 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:07 AM   #34
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Preview: 2004 Cardinals vs. 1967 Cardinals

The final is set:
(13) 2004 Cardinals (105-57, NL champions, 16-9)
vs.
(6) 1967 Cardinals (101-61, World Series champions, 12-8)

With both teams having to survive a seven-game semifinal, it means neither will have their ace for the opener or to make three starts in the series.
Chris Carpenter will make his first appearance for the 2004 team in Game 2, while Hall of Famer Bob Gibson will have to wait until Game 3 for 1968.
The only injury going into the tournament is 2004 right fielder Larry Walker, who will be sidelined until Game 5.
Overview: Both teams had their rough stretches,having had to play pair of seven-game series. The strength of the 1967 team seems to be its starting pitching, especially with Bob Gibson and Dick Hughes having gone a combined 8-0 in the tournament to this point. The 2004 team is led by its offense, with six of its eight position players boasting 10 RBIs or more, led by Albert Pujols, the one player the 1967 team just cannot match. Lou Brock has struggled throughout the tournament, batting just .223. A key will be, should Brock get on base, will he be able to steal against Mike Matheny, one of the best defensive catchers during his time. Prediction: Tough to call, but I think with Gibson, Carlton and Hughes, the latter's success has surprised me, probably starting all seven games I have to go with the 1967 team in seven.

The projected starting pitchers for the first three games are:
All games will be played at Busch Stadium II
Game 1: 2004 (Woody Williams 11-8 4.18 ERA) at 1967
(Dick Hughes 16-6, 2.67)
Game 2: 2004 (Chris Carpenter 15-5, 3.46) at 1967 (Steve Carlton 14-9, 2.98)
Game 3: 1967 (Bob Gibson 13-7, 2.98) at 2004 (Matt Morris 15-10, 4.72)
Starting pitchers behind that will be decided on where the series stands. Possible additional starters are 2004 (Jeff Suppan 16-9, 4.16) and 1967 (Larry Jaster 9-7, 3.01).

Probable starting lineups, reserves and starting pitchers for each team (tournament statistics)
2004 Cardinals AB H HR RBI AVG

2B Tony Womack 106 29 1 13 .273
SS Edgar Renteria 107 22 1 10 .205
1B Albert Pujols 96 33 4 19 .343
CF Jim Edmonds 89 21 4 13 .235
3B Scott Rolen 98 29 3 14 .295
LF Reggie Sanders 83 19 5 10 .229
RF So Taguchi 38 9 1 7 .237
C Mike Matheny 79 18 2 7 .228
Reserves
OF John Mabry 35 7 1 5 .200
UT Roger Cedeno 11 4 0 2 .363
IF Hector Luna 11 3 0 1 .272
UT Marlon Anderson 7 3 0 0 .428
C Yadier Molina 8 3 1 1 .375
OF Larry Walker 51 14 1 4 .274

Starting pitchers W-L IP HA BB K ERA
Chris Carpenter 4-1 53.1 63 4 27 3.39
Matt Morris 1-2 35.1 51 11 23 4.73
Woody Williams 3-1 49.0 40 6 19 1.82
Jeff Suppan 0-0 22.0 12 2 6 1.46

Relief pitchers

RHP - Jason Marquis
LHP - Steve Kline
LHP - Ray King
RHP - Julian Tavarez
RHP - Kiko Calero
RHP - Cal Eldred
RHP - Jason Isringhausen

1967 Cardinals AB H HR RBI AVG.

LF Lou Brock 94 21 3 9 .223
CF Curt Flood 83 27 0 5 .325
RF Roger Maris 77 21 2 5 .273
1B Orlando Cepeda 82 20 2 10 .244
C Tim McCarver 62 14 1 6 .226
3B Mike Shannon 64 16 4 11 .250
2B Julian Javier 77 25 2 12 .324
SS Dal Maxvill 62 14 1 6 .226

Reserves
C Dave Ricketts 21 6 1 7 .286
IF Ed Spiezio 9 0 0 0 .000
IF Phil Gagliano 10 0 0 0 .000
OF Bobby Tolan 9 2 0 0 .222
SS Eddie Bressoud 6 0 0 0 .000
OF Alex Johnson 6 1 0 0 .166

Starting pitchers W-L IP H K BB ERA

Bob Gibson 4-0 52.2 40 43 9 1.57
Dick Hughes 4-0 53.0 41 28 13 2.36
Steve Carlton 0-2 40.2 34 33 12 2.97
Larry Jaster 1-0 8.0 5 2 0 1.97

Relief pitchers

RHP- Ray Washburn
RHP - Jack Lamabe
LHP - Hal Woodeshick
RHP - Ron Willis
LHP - Al Jackson
RHP - Nelson Briles
LHP - Joe Horner
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by rink23; 05-07-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #35
daves
Hall Of Famer

I did not expect the 2004 Cardinals to goal the way to the Finals.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #36
rink23
Hall Of Famer

2004 Cardinals

Sorry, I have not played out the final yet, run into a few off the field complications.
It really doesn't surprise me the 2004 team made the final.
I've been following the Cardinals since the early 1970s, and in my opinion the 2004 and 05 teams, may have been the best in that 40-plus year span. I think they are easily better than the teams that won the World Series in 2006 and 2011.
You look at the 2004 team's record (105-57) and it had to be good.
If that team doesn't run into a Red Sox team in the series -- a team so hot, it probably could have beaten the 1927 Yankees -- it might have gone down as one of the best Cardinals teams of all time.
Also, you have to consider, that I was not playing the tournament with the World Series roster, so Chris Carpenter, the team's ace who missed the entire 2004 postseason, is available. He's gone 4-1 in the tournament with a 3.39 ERA.
This has been a fun tournament to run, although it's taken longer than I like. I did it to kind of get a feel for the game before starting a 2016 Cardinals dynasty season.
Looking back, there are a few things, I probably would have done differently, which would have led to a different outcome, but if you would have asked me who was going to make the finals?
A 1967 vs. 2004 showdown would not have been that big of a surprise.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:25 AM   #37
rink23
Hall Of Famer

1967 Cardinals defeat 2004 Cardinals 4-1, win tournament title

King of Cards Tournament finals: 2004 Cardinals vs. 1967 Cardinals
Game 1 (at Busch Stadium II): 1967 Cardinals 3, 2004 Cardinals 1
Key moments: Mike Shannon broke open a scoreless game with a two-run home run off 2004 starter Woody Williams in the bottom of the seventh inning. The 1967 club added a run in the eighth, when a Roger Maris single scored Lou Brock. The 2004 club got a run off Dick Hughes in the ninth, when a bases-loaded single from Jim Edmonds scored Tony Womack. But 1967 closer Joe Hoerner got Scott Rolen to hit into a double play to end it.42
Player of the game: Hughes pitched 8.1 innings, allowing one run on four hits. He struck out six and walked three. Hughes retired two while facing just one batter to earn a save.

Game 2 (at Busch Stadium II): 1967 Cardinals 4, 2004 Cardinals 2
Key moments: Tied at 2-2, the 1967 team got the runs it needed to win the game in the bottom of the seventh inning against 2004 starter Chris Carpenter. Tim McCarver led off the inning with a single and two batters later Julian Javier hit a 423-foot home run to make it 4-2.
Player of the game: Steve Carlton pitched seven innings, allowing two runs on three hits. He struck out five and walked two. Joe Hoerner allowed one hit over the final two innings to record his second save of the series.
Game 3 (at Busch Stadium II): 1967 Cardinals 7, 2004 Cardinals 4
Key moments: Tied 1-1, the 1967 Cardinals took the lead for good in the top of the fifth inning when Lou Brock hit a two-out, solo home run off Matt Morris. That lead grew to 6-1 in the seventh, when Roger Maris, Orlando Cepeda, Tim McCarver and Mike Shannon connected on consecutive two-out RBI singles. An RBI triple from Maris in the eighth pushed the lead to 7-1, which was more than enough to withstand a three-run bottom of the ninth by the 2004 team.
Player of the game: Gibson allowed just one run over eight innings before running into trouble in the ninth. Altogether, he went 8.1 innings, allowing four runs on five hits. He struck out 11 and walked two. Horner picked up his third save of the series, sandwiching strikeouts of John Mabry and Roger Cedeno around a RBI single by Mike Matheny to end it.

Game 4 (at Busch Stadium II): 2004 Cardinals 4, 1967 Cardinals 2
Down 1-0, the 2004 team scored three runs in the bottom of the fourth inning and went on for a win to keep the series going. Albert Pujols and Jim Edmonds drew a walks from Dick Hughes to open the inning. Scott Rolen hit into a fielder’s choice, putting runners at the corners. A passed ball then allowed Pujols to score. John Mabry followed with a two-run homer. The 1967 team pulled to within a run in the top of the seventh – Roger Maris scoring on a single by Orlando Cepeda that led to an error by Mabry in left field – but Pujols led off the bottom of the sixth with a solo homer.
Player of the game: Woody Williams pitched seven innings, allowing two runs on six hits. He struck out four and walked none. Kiko Calero tossed scoreless eighth and ninth innings for the save. Hughes went seven innings giving up four runs on four hits. He struck out seven but walked five.

Game 5 (at Busch Stadium II): 1967 Cardinals 4, 2004 Cardinals 3
Key moments: Julian Javier drove in Tim McCarver with an RBI single in the second inning off Chris Carpenter and in the fourth a three-run home run from Mike Shannon made it 4-0, and the 1967 Cardinals were well on their way to claiming the King of Cards Tournament title. The 2004 team would pull within 4-3, with two runs in the sixth and another in the eighth, but closer Joe Hoerner would retire the side in order in the ninth – getting Tony Womack to ground out for the final out – to seal the tournament title.
Player of the game: Steve Carlton went seven innings, allowing three runs on five hits. He struck out six and walked three. Hoerner didn’t allow a baserunner in the eighth or ninth to earn his fourth save of the tournament.
Series summary: The 1967 club’s pitching staff was not light’s out, but allowed just 10 runs in their four victories, including just seven in games 1 through 3 as it bolted to a 3-0 series lead. Joe Hoerner was impressive out of the bullpen, allowing no runs over 5.1 innings while posting four saves. Carlton finished the tournament 2-0 with a 1.93 ERA. At the plate, Lou Brock batted .364 with two homers and three RBIs. Julian Javier hit .368 with a homer and four RBIs. Mike Shannon hit .316 with two homers and six RBIs. For the 2004 team, the biggest disappointment had to be ace Chris Carpenter who was 0-2 with a 5.14 ERA. Woody Williams was 1-1 with a 2.45 ERA. At the plate, no one on the 2004 team had more than two RBIs. Albert Pujols batted .250 with two RBIs. Scott Rolen .188 with three RBIs and Jim Edmonds .133 with two RBIs.
Series MVP: Lou Brock, who hit .364 with two homers, three RBIs and four runs scored. I probably would have gone with Carlton, with two wins, including the clincher.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by rink23; 05-13-2016 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:09 PM   #38
rink23
Hall Of Famer

All-Tournament team

This is the King of Cards All-Tournament team.
OF - George Watkins (1939): .333 avg., 30 hits, 7 home runs, 23 RBIs
OF - Joe Medwick (1935): .400 avg., 16 hits, 4 home runs, 11 RBIs
OF - (tie) Stan Musial (1949): .312 avg., 25 hits, 2 home runs, 12 RBIs
and Jason Heyward (2015): .385 avg., 23 hits, 1 home run, 10 RBIs.
3B - Mike Shannon (1967): .265 avg., 22 hits, 6 home runs, 17 RBIs.
SS - Marty Marion (1949): .306 avg., 23 hits, 1 home run, 8 RBIs
2B - Julian Javier (1967): .333 avg., 32 hits, 3 home runs, 16 RBIs
1B - Albert Pujols (2004): .330 avg., 37 hits, 6 home runs, 21 RBIs
C - Tim McCarver (1968): .240 avg., 19 hits, 1 home run, 12 RBIs

SP - Bob Gibson (1967): 5-0, 61 IP, 45 hits, 54 Ks, 11 BB, 1.99 ERA
SP - Bill Hallahan (1930): 7-0, 65.1 IP, 57 hits, 50 Ks, 23 BB, 2.08 ERA
SP - Dick Hughes (1967): 5-1, 68.1 IP, 49 hits, 41 Ks, 21 BB, 2.56 ERA
SP - Howie Polllet (1949): 4-1. 43.1 IP, 40 hits, 36 Ks, 11 BB, 1.59 ERA
SP - Bob Gibson (1968): 6-1, 54.0 IP, 30 hits, 53 Ks, 10 BB, 2.49 ERA
CL - Joel Hoerner (1967): 2-1, 9 saves, 25.0 IP, 22 hits, 23 Ks, 5 BB, 1.39 ERA.
Tournament MVP position player: Albert Pujols (2004) and George Watkins (1939).
Watkins had better numbers, but played in one less series
Tournament MVP pitcher: Bob Gibson and Dick Hughes (1967).
Gibson had the better numbers, but Hughes seemed to win more big games.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:48 PM   #39
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rink23 View Post
This is the King of Cards All-Tournament team.
OF - George Watkins (1939): .333 avg., 30 hits, 7 home runs, 23 RBIs
OF - Joe Medwick (1935): .400 avg., 16 hits, 4 home runs, 11 RBIs
OF - (tie) Stan Musial (1949): .312 avg., 25 hits, 2 home runs, 12 RBIs
and Jason Heyward (2015): .385 avg., 23 hits, 1 home run, 10 RBIs.
3B - Mike Shannon (1967): .265 avg., 22 hits, 6 home runs, 17 RBIs.
SS - Marty Marion (1949): .306 avg., 23 hits, 1 home run, 8 RBIs
2B - Julian Javier (1967): .333 avg., 32 hits, 3 home runs, 16 RBIs
1B - Albert Pujols (2004): .330 avg., 37 hits, 6 home runs, 21 RBIs
C - Tim McCarver (1968): .240 avg., 19 hits, 1 home run, 12 RBIs

SP - Bob Gibson (1967): 5-0, 61 IP, 45 hits, 54 Ks, 11 BB, 1.99 ERA
SP - Bill Hallahan (1930): 7-0, 65.1 IP, 57 hits, 50 Ks, 23 BB, 2.08 ERA
SP - Dick Hughes (1967): 5-1, 68.1 IP, 49 hits, 41 Ks, 21 BB, 2.56 ERA
SP - Howie Polllet (1949): 4-1. 43.1 IP, 40 hits, 36 Ks, 11 BB, 1.59 ERA
SP - Bob Gibson (1968): 6-1, 54.0 IP, 30 hits, 53 Ks, 10 BB, 2.49 ERA
CL - Joel Hoerner (1967): 2-1, 9 saves, 25.0 IP, 22 hits, 23 Ks, 5 BB, 1.39 ERA.
Tournament MVP position player: Albert Pujols (2004) and George Watkins (1939).
Watkins had better numbers, but played in one less series
Tournament MVP pitcher: Bob Gibson and Dick Hughes (1967).
Gibson had the better numbers, but Hughes seemed to win more big games.
And that's all folks.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #40
rink23
Hall Of Famer

And as they say, "That's a wrap."
I hope you enjoyed it.