Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 03-29-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Question about spring training

I see I have a 40 man roster for spring training, but will I have to purchase the contracts of players who have minor league contracts if I want them to play in spring training games?, or does the game recognize they might only be on the active roster for those games?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
JMowery
Minors (Rookie Ball)

They will not give major league contracts... but actually moving them back and forth and memorizing who you don't want to have a major league contract is the part that drives me nuts about this game.

But the answer is you will not have to give them major league contracts, just move the players back to the 40 man roster before the end of spring training.
JMowery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Are you sure this is true? Everyone on my active roster now has a major league contract.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:55 AM   #4
disposableheros
Hall Of Famer

make a copy of the league, sim forward, check it out, report back

Baseball Maelstrom - New York Mets - 180-149 .547
Corporate League Baseball - Coke Buzz - 889-649 .578
Western Hemisphere Baseball League - Santiago Saints - 672-793 .459

Record - 2428-2271 .517
disposableheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:10 AM   #5
JMowery
Minors (Rookie Ball)

This is what I'm told, but in truth dealing with Spring training is so frustrating, and people I guess don't care to make it improved, so, if I was you I'd say sim it because trying to do it myself leads to so much frustration, and 2 days ago actually caused me to turn off the game for the night because I did have that happen to me because I left the computer and came back and hit continue and then all my players had major league contracts, lucky for me I saved before I left the computer otherwise I would have been so fed up with it, I'd be making some noise on these forums more than I do now.

So, be sure to let the devs know your frustration with it as mine is plentiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Are you sure this is true? Everyone on my active roster now has a major league contract.
JMowery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:52 AM   #6
ravinhood
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I've done spring training on my own now for several seasons and as long as you put the player back in the minors before spring training is over they don't get full major league contracts. If you wait till the season starts then yes you're going to have to pay them all minimum wages. You must move them before spring training is over. I move mine with 3 games to spare every season just to be sure. Then I just play my normal 25 man roster the last 3 games. Simple enough that a "caveman can do it" lol
ravinhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

So when I put them back their contract satatus will change back to minor league???
Old 03-30-2007, 10:45 AM   #8
Gastric ReFlux
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to see teams be given warm weather spring training locations.
Gastric ReFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
zukes
All Star Starter

Quote:
So when I put them back their contract satatus will change back to minor league???
I don't believe so, I think that they would have minor league contracts throughout.
zukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #10
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
I don't believe so, I think that they would have minor league contracts throughout.
well, they don't...therefore this feature is not working properly.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #11
jbmagic
Hall Of Famer

Please post it in the tech forum too
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #12
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Done
Old 03-30-2007, 10:16 PM   #13
ravinhood
Major Leagues

Read section 21.1 pages 397 and most especially 398.

I quote: During spring training the active roster limit is removed and ANY players on a teams SECONDARY ROSTER can be moved to the ACTIVE roster WITHOUT recording major league service time. :unquote

No time no contracts even though it says team X bought player Y's contract in the news they do not get a salary if you are following the rules of section 21. 1 page 398. If you are putting them up in the roster thru other methods then that is why you are probably paying a contract price. If you don't move them off before the seasons starts you will also pay a contract price.

All my players that had minor league contracts when I brought them up to the major league level FROM THE 40 Man Roster went back to the minors with their minor league contracts in tact after spring training was over. It never even shows them with major league contracts as I just ran another league and ran spring training again. I just put the players I wanted to play spring training on the 40 man roster and then moved them to the ML roster on the DAY SPRING TRAINGING BEGINS....this is a MUST also, you can't place them on the ML team until spring training begins or they get a ML contract also. Everything is working as designed here. Obviously PSUColonel is doing something wrong or not doing something right or not checking to see if these minor league players have contracts when he moves them up.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:18 PM   #14
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinhood View Post
I've done spring training on my own now for several seasons and as long as you put the player back in the minors before spring training is over they don't get full major league contracts. If you wait till the season starts then yes you're going to have to pay them all minimum wages. You must move them before spring training is over. I move mine with 3 games to spare every season just to be sure. Then I just play my normal 25 man roster the last 3 games. Simple enough that a "caveman can do it" lol
But are you saying somewhere in there that while IN Spring Training and moving these players onto the Active Roster they do show having major league contract? And moving them back to the minors before the end of ST allows them to continue 'as they were' with minor league contracts when the actual season begins?

If so, this is almost exactly how v2006 handled things and numbered among the reasons I'd hoped for the real overhaul of ST movement and transactions.

Edit: Geez, right while I was writing, ravin was posting. I may have to edit this whole thing!

Last edited by endgame; 03-30-2007 at 10:20 PM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:26 PM   #15
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Everything is working as designed here. Obviously PSUColonel is doing something wrong or not doing something right or not checking to see if these minor league players have contracts when he moves them up.
The first sentence, I'll give you. Beyond that, before we start a pissing match, let me say that PSU is probably following what, intuitively, it looks like he should do; perhaps he's not alone in that and it bears a closer look and analysis from the design end to make it easier. At least it appears to. Thankfully, someone like yourself - examining the area closely and trying it out for verification - is posting their findings and we all can hopefully learn from that understanding.

As I posted, ST was an area extremely troubling for me last year including waiver issues, contract issues, and transaction difficulties even when the service times were set at zero. I'm hopeful this won't pose a problem this year. I remain hopeful, as well, that we can follow your instructions and avoid any contract problems. Thanks for the input, ravinhood.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:33 PM   #16
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

To me, the obvious answer here is to make sure all contracts continue to read "minor league contract", so long as they were brought up and place back within the appropriate time period of ST.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:06 PM   #17
ravinhood
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
The first sentence, I'll give you. Beyond that, before we start a pissing match, let me say that PSU is probably following what, intuitively, it looks like he should do; perhaps he's not alone in that and it bears a closer look and analysis from the design end to make it easier. At least it appears to. Thankfully, someone like yourself - examining the area closely and trying it out for verification - is posting their findings and we all can hopefully learn from that understanding.

As I posted, ST was an area extremely troubling for me last year including waiver issues, contract issues, and transaction difficulties even when the service times were set at zero. I'm hopeful this won't pose a problem this year. I remain hopeful, as well, that we can follow your instructions and avoid any contract problems. Thanks for the input, ravinhood.
Ok I can agree with that. It does work as the manual says it does and I realize everyone is not going to read a 500 page manual like me. hehe I don't know what they could do to make it easier to understand other than a popup window that says before spring training starts that it will not effect players salaries or contracts that are on minor league teams when spring training begins and they bring them up.

I would just suggest one looks at contracts before placing a player into the spring training roster to be sure it's not something they "think" happened instead of something that actually happened in that the player already had a contract and being forgetful like some of us are some just forgot this at the end of spring training and then thought these minor leaguers were getting contracts cause they moved them up in spring training.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:54 AM   #18
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

I would like to point out that not accruing major league service time is NOT the same thing as not getting a major league contract. My system has plenty of players in the minors with major contracts and no service time.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:53 AM   #19
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Read section 21.1 pages 397 and most especially 398.

I quote: During spring training the active roster limit is removed and ANY players on a teams SECONDARY ROSTER can be moved to the ACTIVE roster WITHOUT recording major league service time. :unquote

No time no contracts even though it says team X bought player Y's contract in the news they do not get a salary if you are following the rules of section 21. 1 page 398. If you are putting them up in the roster thru other methods then that is why you are probably paying a contract price. If you don't move them off before the seasons starts you will also pay a contract price.

All my players that had minor league contracts when I brought them up to the major league level FROM THE 40 Man Roster went back to the minors with their minor league contracts in tact after spring training was over. It never even shows them with major league contracts as I just ran another league and ran spring training again. I just put the players I wanted to play spring training on the 40 man roster and then moved them to the ML roster on the DAY SPRING TRAINGING BEGINS....this is a MUST also, you can't place them on the ML team until spring training begins or they get a ML contract also. Everything is working as designed here. Obviously PSUColonel is doing something wrong or not doing something right or not checking to see if these minor league players have contracts when he moves them up.
Quote:
To me, the obvious answer here is to make sure all contracts continue to read "minor league contract", so long as they were brought up and place back within the appropriate time period of ST.
My experience has been the same as ravinhood's. Every player I brought up for ST that had a minor league contract (currently 12 players on my ST roster with minor league contracts) continues to have one, none have been upgraded to a major league deal.

I do have players that I brought up that do have major league contracts but they already had them before I brought them up.

I'm guessing there was a timing issue here and PSU's players were brought up too early?

FWIW I have the PC version.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #20
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastric ReFlux View Post
I'd like to see teams be given warm weather spring training locations.
That is marked "Consider for the next full release"
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote