Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > FHM 4 - Technical Support

FHM 4 - Technical Support Need help or want to report a bug? This is the right place.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
Aube
Minors (Single A)

Power play point posisions

I hate to be 'that guy' and re-post something similar to what I wrote elsewhere but since the suggestions forum seems a touch on the quiet side as far as replies go and I wasn't sure if what I originally discussed was more of a bug or issue than a suggestion to begin with, I wanted to confirm here if certain behaviors on the tactics screen are 'working as intended' or not.

The system that I'm concerned is potentially not working as intended is the Defender position on the powerplay section of the tactics screen. Placing a forward on the Point position works just fine. The player may be an LW, C, or RW but the game understands that Point is not the same thing as LD and that in reality it's common to have a forward play point and be fully effective offensively-speaking at least. Depending on what your PP tactic makes available you can assign this forward a goalscorer, playmaker, or even 2-way defenseman or offensive defenseman role and he will get full tactical credit for the role as befitting that player's attributes.

The part that I specifically see as having an issue is the Defender position. As examples both Umbrella and 1-3-1 formations have a single defender back at the blueline generally in the center of the ice, and I feel that the defender you place there should be given the same 'free position' card that a forward on Point position gets. As it stands if you wish to use a 4 forward 1 defenseman setup with the Umbrella tactic, it feels like you HAVE to make sure that the defenseman you want to use is a right defender to get your full tactical score even though, once again, this player is playing at the center of the ice rather than hanging out towards the right boards, and that really the primary consideration is how the player can operate offensively rather than defensively there. It seems that the Point position was given special modifiers to separate it from just being the LD position, while Defender is a carbon-copy of RD in the system. That sort of adjustment, or 'fix' if it IS what was intended, would make offensive LDs as valuable as RDs when it comes to the powerplay, rather than having them relegated to second PP unit duties any time you have a 4th forward you want on the first unit.

I would also suggest that the same defenseman 'free card' would likely be appropriate for the 'point' position too as it might be an RD that you want in closer to the net in an umbrella setup and an LD playing back at the point, but I feel the Defender slot issue is a more pressing/restrictive concern.
Aube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #2
#4BobbyOrr
Minors (Double A)

I agree completely. Many dmen play their off sides on their PP for one timer options and rove around fairly freely, it shouldn't matter what side of the ice they play.
#4BobbyOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:41 AM   #3
JeffR
FHM Producer

The defenceman slot in that case should actually be accepting LD or RD. I'll double-check that it's actually working that way, but that's how it was designed.

Edit: I checked, looks like it is lowering the score for LD. We'll get that fixed.

Last edited by JeffR; 10-19-2017 at 04:03 AM.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
Aube
Minors (Single A)

Just as a followup, while most of this was fixed, the 4v3 for 1-3-1 has one of the point positions listed as 'playmaker', and so I assume is expecting a forward on point, but forwards still end up with a 1/5 rating. I assume it's just a cosmetic thing like it was on the other lines, but regardless wanted to make you aware of it.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:54 AM   #5
JeffR
FHM Producer

Thanks, must have missed that one, we'll fix that.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #6
Aube
Minors (Single A)

Running into a bit of an odd one with regards to my powerplay strength on a historical league where it comes to point positions. Right now I have it setup where I'd assume in a 1-3-1 Perrault is playmaking from the boards and Tallon is manning the blueline with a rating of 5 and 4 respectively and it gives a rating of 37 vs. the Canadiens. If I swap them around, it goes to a rating of 39 even though the players are in less reasonable positions and have tactical ratings of 4 and 1.

I've also noticed that the pre-match position ratings don't always match the day to day position ratings, which is quite odd. I should have screen capped it, but the previous game, Tallon had a rating of 2/4 showing instead of 4/4 in the exact same spot as the first screenshot here. I didn't look too closely at the effect on the overall tactical rating, but either way in that case I don't know why some matchesi my pre-game screen has actual player tactical ratings change.

Just to verify I reloaded the save and started the match with both setups, just to see if the in-match tactical screen matched the pre-game reported effectiveness, which it does.

And the save in case you want it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr4yjryypw...erplay.7z?dl=0

This isn't limited to this one match, the next one against the Bruins shows the same behavior
Old 11-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #7
Aube
Minors (Single A)

Turns out it's against the Flyers that the 2/4 point man thing takes place

It's odd that it only shows LDs playing the Defender position at non-full ability against certain teams (presumably certain PK systems).

Either way, it also offered the extra 2 effectiveness points for flipping the point and defender guy.