Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #461
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Are you using random debut and minor leagues concurrently? Not a good idea according to Markus. You need to choose between full minors and random debut. Unless of course I'm misinterpreting this, and you're using a couple of minor leagues rather than reserve rosters. I find unlimited reserve rosters work best for me with random debut, even though they take out a lot of the "real" baseball rules. It is your baseball universe though, so if you can make minor leagues work for you, more power to ya!
Both the ML and MiL have 15 man reserve rosters. So I have 1040 players plus injured players. Would like to have less than 15 man reserve rosters but that is the least amount greater than 0. With this there are still over 250 free agents with too many RP to add another 6 team league. Everything else seems to be working as the ML buy players from AAA. No draft in AAA they just fill their rosters from the FA pool. I am intrigued with setup but want “fine tune” to involve more players and keep the FA pool to ~ 100 players. I may suspend the draft for a few years but this may further delay the expansion until I can get the proper pitcher/hitter balance in the FA pool.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #462
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Naw. Random debut is just that. Random. You could use the import tool if you want to to even things up to the way you like it.
Thought about importing more hitters manually but that would take the random out of Random Debut. I thought there might be a smoother way or setting I could use to bring in more hitters into the next draft pool.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #463
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Thought about importing more hitters manually but that would take the random out of Random Debut. I thought there might be a smoother way or setting I could use to bring in more hitters into the next draft pool.
One thing I didn't think of before I wrote that is that I think (but I don't know for certain) that the game would bring in randomly any player that you chose to import at a later date. At least I think this is so. So you'd have duplicate players. Probably not worth it.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #464
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I will wait until I get a better balance, may cull some FA’s with retire option for RP’s who are old or have almost 0 chance of being signed in ML or my AAA. Looking forward to starting a new random debut in 19 with all the work being done by pstrickert in beta testing!

Last edited by JaBurns; 02-10-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #465
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I will wait until I get a better balance, may cull some FA’s with retire option for RP’s who are old or have almost 0 chance of being signed in ML or my AAA. Looking forward to starting a new random debut in 19 with all the work being done by pstrickert in beta testing!
Absolutely. pstrickert for OOTP knighthood!
Old 02-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #466
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Never mind knighthood more like Emperor of the World. Maybe, read that as will, be asking for your’s and Mr. Watt’s input on my quest for “my perfect random debut league” in about 5 weeks. I have until then to find the shortcomings in my latest quest for perfection.

Last edited by JaBurns; 02-10-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #467
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Never mind knighthood more like Emperor of the World. Maybe, read that as will, be asking for your’s and Mr. Watt’s input on my quest for “my perfect random debut league” in about 5 weeks. I have until to find the shortcomings in my latest quest for perfection.
Every time a you have a league that doesn't live up to what you want in a league, you're that much closer to getting what you do want. You'll get there.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:27 PM   #468
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Every time a you have a league that doesn't live up to what you want in a league, you're that much closer to getting what you do want. You'll get there.
Yup, I am the king of stop and start, but when I hit paydirt, the feeling is so damn good. Topped only by the feeling of having the OOTP Gods induct my leagues first player to the Hall of Fame. My advice will always be to personalize your league and to stay simple.

Last edited by David Watts; 02-10-2018 at 09:36 PM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #469
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Yup, I am the king of stop and start, but when I hit paydirt, the feeling is so damn good. Topped only by the feeling of having the OOTP Gods induct my leagues first player to the Hall of Fame. My advice will always be to personalize your league and to stay simple.
I know the feeling of stop and start, I run x years then see something and say to myself "That is not quite right, wonder if I can fix that?". The usual answer is NO without messing something or everything else up; so to use your term "rinse and repeat" and back to the drawing board I go to setup another league starting in 1901. But as actionjackson says every new step is one step closer to where you want to end up with your league.Even if you do not know the eventually destination. I am really liking my modified Tiger Fan setup but that feeling may pass soon if I find what I consider to be a critical error.

With 19 I am seriously thinking of starting one league in 1882 which will probably be enough to put me in a room with rubber walls.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #470
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know the feeling of stop and start, I run x years then see something and say to myself "That is not quite right, wonder if I can fix that?". The usual answer is NO without messing something or everything else up; so to use your term "rinse and repeat" and back to the drawing board I go to setup another league starting in 1901. But as actionjackson says every new step is one step closer to where you want to end up with your league.Even if you do not know the eventually destination. I am really liking my modified Tiger Fan setup but that feeling may pass soon if I find what I consider to be a critical error.

With 19 I am seriously thinking of starting one league in 1882 which will probably be enough to put me in a room with rubber walls.
Do you sim, manage/gm a team etc? Me I just watch. I guess I'm the league commissioner. I watch one game a day. Sometimes I pick a series to watch or I pick the most intriguing pitching matchup of the day and travel to that park to watch the game/s. When I start a league, I usually get a feeling right away if it's going to be a league I will stick with. Then at some point, the league takes on a life of its own and I start to think of it as a real entity. Once this happens, its much easier to ignore the little things that might make you start over. In fact, sometime those things become things that actually endear me to my league even more. I can honestly say when I fall in love with a league and reach the period when players start getting inducted into the Hall of Fame, I probably like fake baseball as much if not more than the real deal. And guess what, as commish, I can control whether or not starting pitchers ever go 5 innings on a regular basis and whether relievers ever pitch in 1/3rds. Guess what, it will never happen.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #471
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I play in commissioner mode, simming one week at a time then read all the new articles, check the stats and standings. After that I look at the transactions for injuries, signings, trades, & releases. My thinking is I will probably change roles in later years once I get my league running past 25 or 30 years to have a nice history base. Haven’t been able to get that far yet but hopefully I will; one of the other things I do is use baseball reference and the player editor to change nicknames to proper given names.
Had an idea today to reduce the number of RP free agents, went to FA screen and changed any relief pitcher with stamina over 50 (20-80 scale) to a SP with the player editor. Thought “this could help, you are learning something” but no dice every time I sim even a day AI changes them all back to RP. I might be doing something wrong.

Last edited by JaBurns; 02-11-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #472
italyprof
All Star Reserve

JaBurns, I also, after playing the first few games of every season (I always manage a team, usually the Yankees), I also sim one week at a time, reading articles, and make roster and lineup changes as needed. I find one month is not the right time-span, too much happens, and you lose the feel for the season. One week makes you feel like you are managing your starting rotation and bullpen, and then occasionally you can play crucial game out. I also play in commissioner mode. I recently built a bunch of different leagues - one which I played out the first season of already consists of only 1935-6 real minor leaguers and Negro League players, as I erased all the major leaguers from the teams, eliminated the historical minors, making all their players into free agents, and then held a fantasy draft. So Josh Gibson etc. are playing in the majors. to be continued, family stuff to deal with first...
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #473
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I play in commissioner mode, simming one week at a time then read all the new articles, check the stats and standings. After that I look at the transactions for injuries, signings, trades, & releases. My thinking is I will probably change roles in later years once I get my league running past 25 or 30 years to have a nice history base. Haven’t been able to get that far yet but hopefully I will; one of the other things I do is use baseball reference and the player editor to change nicknames to proper given names.
Had an idea today to reduce the number of RP free agents, went to FA screen and changed any relief pitcher with stamina over 50 (20-80 scale) to a SP with the player editor. Thought “this could help, you are learning something” but no dice every time I sim even a day AI changes them all back to RP. I might be doing something wrong.

Ah, several versions ago, there was a cat on these forums known as VanillaGorilla. I remember being concerned that my random leagues didn't have enough starting pitchers. I can't remember his exact answer, but he told me in so many words to quit worrying. That the game would adapt to this. I found his words to be true.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:55 PM   #474
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ah, several versions ago, there was a cat on these forums known as VanillaGorilla. I remember being concerned that my random leagues didn't have enough starting pitchers. I can't remember his exact answer, but he told me in so many words to quit worrying. That the game would adapt to this. I found his words to be true.
I miss VanillaGorilla. What a contribution he made to this place.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #475
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

The Southern League has its second Hall of Fame inductee. Pedro Martinez. 190-142, 2443 strikeouts, 2.92ERA, 144 ERA+, 84.9 WAR. Pedro was a 4 time Cy Young winner 1953-55 and 1957, He won one Gold Glove. Martinez played his entire 14 year career with the Beaumont Crush. As a member of the Crush he won 2 championships, one in 1953 and another in 1960. This was the 2nd year of eligibility for Martinez. He received 84.3% of the votes.

King Felix just received 71.2% of the votes. This was his 3rd year of eligibility. Hopefully next year he will reach the required 80% to get in. He deserves it.

Dropped from the ballot in his second year on the ballot was Barry Larkin.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:10 PM   #476
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

The most notable player to retire following the 1967 season would be Duke Snider. Snider had a remarkable career, .294/.379/.541. Duke hit 444 home runs(currently most ever). He had 2066 career hits, scored 1228 runs and drove in 1218. Snider played 17 seasons for the Texarkana Grasshoppers, one season for the Shreveport Captains and then went back to Texarkana for one final season before calling it quits. Duke won 4 Most valuable player award, 1952,53, 56 and 58. His house is full of silver as he picked up 8 Silver Slugger trophies. He won 1 Gold Glove. Duke was the member of 3 championship teams as a member of the Grasshoppers, 1956,65 and 67. Of course, the only thing he contributed to the 65 and 67 teams was his veteran leadership. He was downright awful over his last 3 seasons. Hitting below .200 with negative WAR.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #477
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Hoping 68 brings me a 30 game winner. I really can't wait for 1968 to be over. I'm tired of the pitching years. Bring back some offense.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:14 PM   #478
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hoping 68 brings me a 30 game winner. I really can't wait for 1968 to be over. I'm tired of the pitching years. Bring back some offense.
You'll get plenty of offense in 1987 and the mid-'90's to the mid-'00's. Unless of course you tie the LTMs to the mid eighties.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #479
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Action, do you ever retire players or do you leave that 100% up to the game? I personally, always let the game do it, but sometimes I do find myself wanting to pull the trigger on guys that stick around too long. I'm using free agency and I feel that helps a great deal when it come to retirement, but it's far from perfect.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #480
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You'll get plenty of offense in 1987 and the mid-'90's to the mid-'00's. Unless of course you tie the LTMs to the mid eighties.
Yeah, if I make it to 84 or maybe even 86, I don't plan on going any further. From that point on my league will freeze. My plan right now is to use a random number generator to pick a season between 1978 and 86. If it gives me 1980, I will use 80 for the season and then 81 for the next season, 82,83,84,85 and finally 86 again. Then I will use the random number thingy again.