Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-21-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Biggest fluke year?

Sometimes, a guy will have a mediocre-at-best career, but for one memorable season, put up superstar stats. Happens in real life, happens in OOTP.

I was looking over some stats for past seasons, and happened to remember Lee Tunnell's 1986 season with Pittsburgh. 23 of his 39 career wins, and a 6.4 WAR, almost four full points above his career second-best! That's gotta be the all-timer that I've seen. And he only won two more games in his career after that.

Any memorable one-year wonders in your leagues?
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #2
brockholtsuperstar
Minors (Rookie Ball)

In one of my first games ever Steve Pearce put up a .290 average and hit 18 home runs so I traded him hoping to sell high, the next year he started off with 7 home runs and a .355 average in May so I thought I made a huge mistake and then he proceeded to hit under .250 for the rest of his career. Dodged a major bullet there by not extending him the 10 mil a year he wanted.
brockholtsuperstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
It was a contract year. He was actually trying that year

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
Izz
Hall Of Famer

23-win year, and then next season into the bullpen? That's gotta suck.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Just out of curiosity, why did Tunnell change teams at the end of his great season? Was he traded, or did he become a free agent?
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
The Game
Hall Of Famer

This is from my ABF league, so Cobb is a clone. Does his 1913 season count as a fluke?
Attached Images
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
Serious 6
Bat Boy

I saw a glove-first shortstop, career .672 OPS guy, hit .334 with extra-base power out of the blue in a contract year. His greed is listed as Very High.
Serious 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:00 PM   #8
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
This is from my ABF league, so Cobb is a clone. Does his 1913 season count as a fluke?
Great season, but I'd look at it more as a career year than a fluke. The numbers aren't that far above his norm.

I guess we should define "fluke" though. For me, someone who has a fluke season is someone who never really does much more than a RL player, or is just usually avg, but has that one standout season.

All of Cobb's seasons are great, so a "really" great 1 doesn't feel so much like a fluke to me.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #9
Kronos
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
23-win year, and then next season into the bullpen? That's gotta suck.
That's one of those AI things that is infuriating, a guy coming of a 23 win season would start in reality, at least until he shows he's awful, unless his arm has fallen off.
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:16 PM   #10
DustinthePOWERHOUSE
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Great season, but I'd look at it more as a career year than a fluke. The numbers aren't that far above his norm.

I guess we should define "fluke" though. For me, someone who has a fluke season is someone who never really does much more than a RL player, or is just usually avg, but has that one standout season.

All of Cobb's seasons are great, so a "really" great 1 doesn't feel so much like a fluke to me.
Agreed with Blue, his 1913 season was insane (best season I've ever seen) but he did it like 2-3 years later as well. Granted not with as gaudy stats but nonetheless incredible stats. He also was incredible throughout, not a fluke player just the best ever.

In terms of the actual OP person I find it interesting the AI traded him, but he was turning 33 and his innings AND games dropped considerably. I'm going with the notion that his arm "fell off" and he was no longer suitable for pitching anymore cause that year was such an anomaly in terms of the rest of his season, including the year before (ew)

"It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"- Ali

Wladimir Klitschko will DESTROY you.
DustinthePOWERHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #11
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVeal View Post
Just out of curiosity, why did Tunnell change teams at the end of his great season? Was he traded, or did he become a free agent?
I keep real life(ish) rosters in Commish mode, so since he went to the Cardinals in '87 in real life, I sent him there. What they decided to do with him after that was their business.

Actually, this was one of the reasons I'm now more anal-retentive about this sort of stuff, and set other teams' lineups. Started doing that around '88, if I remember correctly.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:43 PM   #12
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Any edits? I have a guy who once hit over .500 in a season, but I'd edited the hell out of him as an experiment in what a player could do edited to near-max levels. He also was baseball's first 60-60 man in 1990, and hit 83 homers with 243 RBI in 1995, the same season he broke the .500 mark.