Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 10-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
BradC
All Star Starter

Exclamation FHM 2015 The Road to Release!

The Road to Release for FHM 2015 will be published here and on our new blog. We realize that many of our fans come here to talk about our games, but our hope is the blog will reach out to others who want to stay up to date without having to wade through a ton of posts.

Here's the first edition in the Road to Release on the blog:

FHM 2015 The Road to Release: A Look at the New Interface
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
BradC
All Star Starter

FHM 2015: The Road to Release: A Look at the New Interface

Welcome to the Road to Release for FHM 2015. Please note the following before we get started:
  • We don’t have a release date for the game and won’t publish one until we are 100% certain we can meet that date. We want to release the game when it’s ready and not a day earlier.
  • The screenshots are a work in progress and could easily change, especially FaceGen and the font we’re currently using.

With that out of the way, let’s look at the GUI (graphic user interface) in FHM 2015, starting with this shot of the revamped History screen:

Over the past several months, we copied and pasted every forum post about FHM 2014’s GUI into a file and reviewed it. We took every comment to heart and reworked the new game’s GUI based on the “flat” look used by OOTP 15. Our goal was a shinier game with less crowded screens. We’re happy with the work done so far, but we will continue to improve some of the screens, particularly the lines and tactics screens.

We didn’t just want the GUI to look better — We wanted the game to be easier to navigate too. With that in mind, we rebuilt the navigation from the ground up, resulting in a larger upper area that doesn’t lose much space because we removed many of the rows of buttons, except the “Action” button and the buttons belonging to tables. The menus that you had to click to open have been replaced by a ribbon-style menu that always has the most important buttons, such as Team and League, available at all times.

A few more notes before we get to the screenshots:
  • We put Team and League in one menu that’s open most of the time, so you can reach nearly all the important screens with just one click. With the drop downs always available, it’s very easy to change teams and leagues. We also added small arrows that allow you to quickly go through all the teams or leagues in a specific country.
  • The leagues in the selected country are the only ones shown, so the League menu is less crowded. A new World menu lists all the available leagues, as shown in the screenshot below.
  • One News screen replaces the three previous ones, and it’s always available through the ribbon menu.
  • A new Bookmark menu that’s also always available in the ribbon menu lets you bookmark screens, like in OOTP. You can access the first 11 bookmarks with the F2-F12 keys.
  • When playing on a higher resolution, the white space in the tables, which was covered by the Name column in 2014, is now covered by all available columns. You’ll no longer have the Name column covering half your screen.
  • We tried to make as many items clickable as we could, so the navigation is even easier to use.
  • The History area was redesigned with an eye toward easy navigation. For example, you can now click on the draft information in a player page and go straight to that year’s draft list. A later Road to Release article will get into the History area in more detail.
  • A future Road to Release article will also get into more detail about FaceGen, which, as we said, is still a work in progress.

We’ll leave you now with some additional screenshots. Enjoy them, and we’ll see you soon with another installment of the FHM 2015 Road to Release.

The World Menu

The new roster screen

The new player screen
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
Rich Tiger Fan
Major Leagues

I'm going to say this right now. This looks great! I have been critical of the process over the last few weeks after weeks of frustration. It looks to me like there may be a payout at the end of this journey.

Hopefully everything under the hood works as good as it looks.

Also I like where the Facegen is going!!!!
Old 10-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

It all looks great, but the first thing that stood out to me was the new flags. Those look very sharp. Wasn't impressed with the FHM14 flags. It all looks great. Can't wait.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

It looks really good. Definite improvement. Two questions:

1. Are any fields going to be customizable? PPG/Game and SHG/Game are two for example that I've never really seen tracked or publicized. PP and PK %'s would be better suited if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

2. Are star ratings really coming back!? God I hope so. It's such an easy way to glance at your roster and see where your team's ability stands. I know the numbers do the same thing but the graphical representation makes it MUCH easier.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
Teloch
Minors (Single A)

Looks good, yes, but I'm more interested what's under the hood. Here's to hoping there will be some sort of beta of this, so I can try and rip the game apart in several ways. =P
Teloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
tictacktoe5
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm officially getting hyped for the game. I want to wait for more info on how the game simulation works before I pull the trigger, but I'm definitely impressed with these shots. Nice work.
tictacktoe5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Very nice - really liking the new "Player Screen".

Impressive work team.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:54 AM   #9
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

haha leon looks like somebody familiar
Attached Images
Old 10-24-2014, 05:40 AM   #10
dmytron

Nice world leagues screen.

There definitely more leagues. That's one point in which FHM is better that EHM. And I'm very glad that there's Ukrainian Hockey League.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:25 AM   #11
Puckhead
Minors (Double A)

The screens all look very delicious!

I'm very interested in seeing a shot of the line-up screen, because this was one of the game elements which bothered me the most in FHM 2014, it was just too small and difficult to switch players there. Also, as everyone els, I'm very pumped to see the match engine soon!
Puckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:20 AM   #12
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytron View Post

There definitely more leagues. That's one point in which FHM is better that EHM. And I'm very glad that there's Ukrainian Hockey League.
The CHL(7 teams) merged their teams into the ECHL starting the 2014-15 season.

Last edited by Orioles1966; 10-24-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #13
BobC
Bat Boy

Thank you for the update -- it is appreciated. I like the look of the screens. One nit-picky thing -- on the roster screen the "C" for center and "G" for goalie are hard to distinguish with this font. Not a big deal, but since you stated you might modify the font I thought I would mention it.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #14
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Thank you for the update -- it is appreciated. I like the look of the screens. One nit-picky thing -- on the roster screen the "C" for center and "G" for goalie are hard to distinguish with this font. Not a big deal, but since you stated you might modify the font I thought I would mention it.
Yeah, it's broken in this font and will of course be changed before release. Thanks for noting it!
Old 10-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #15
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytron View Post

Bear in mind that not all those leagues are playable. Only the ones in bold are. I would love to implement the Ukrainian league but 1) now it's frozen so we should create something fictional and 2) I don't have time anyway, unfortunately. I hope to get the VHL playable later this year, but at this point I can't promise it.
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #16
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
The CHL(7 teams) merged their teams into the ECHL starting the 2014-15 season.
We are aware of it of course and the game will have the right alignment once it will be released.
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #17
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
We are aware of it of course and the game will have the right alignment once it will be released.

I wonder if all of those new ECHL teams can make it an entire season without folding?
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #18
dmytron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
I would love to implement the Ukrainian league but 1) now it's frozen so we should create something fictional and 2) I don't have time anyway, unfortunately.
If you need help with Ukrainian names or something, I can help. After all, I can understand Russian and Ukrainian.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #19
Statsman1
Major Leagues

Awesome stuff!!

Two questions:

1. Would it be possible to center headings and values in each column when showing numbers?

Just looking at the first screenshot - world menu - the headings are centered, the values are right-justified.

Then the second screenshot - roster - some headings are left-justified, values are right-justified (Age, Fit, NR, CapHit). Other headings are left-justified, and values are left-justified (Length, CON, Waiv).

Then the third screen shot - player - all the stats and headings are right-justified.

Picking ONE (everything left, right or centered) would make reading up and down the lists on a screen so much easier on the eyes.

2. Why aren't there about 1,500 "thanks" for this update yet?

Last edited by Statsman1; 10-24-2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: clarification of question 1
Statsman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #20
beezer2434
Minors (Triple A)

Will there be a definition of how the attributes work and affect the sim in the manual?
beezer2434 is offline   Reply With Quote