Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 03-08-2014, 05:07 AM   #1
Penfold75
Major Leagues

The New Patch

From what I have read so far about the new patch I am pretty excited about the game again.

The new systems within the game sound great and will add a lot to the game play. Also with the new game engine coming in a patch to follow afterwards I think the game is making some brilliant progress.

Heck I might not be able to expand the NHL and have teams in Quebec and Seattle (they would my two choices) but I think we will have a good version of the game to play before FHM2015 where I hope expansion and more customisation might be included.

Hopefully people will give the new patch a chance before the moaning and griping begins
Penfold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #2
dmytron

But everyone should have in mind that it's not the final patch. The final will be after they release one with match engine. Before that there of course will be bugs (they can't get rid of completely all bugs, and no developer can), and FHM users should understand it.

And, if you will found bugs in new patch, they will be able to get rid of them in the match engine patch (I hope).

Just asking to be reasonable.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:12 AM   #3
pens66
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytron View Post
But everyone should have in mind that it's not the final patch. The final will be after they release one with match engine. Before that there of course will be bugs (they can't get rid of completely all bugs, and no developer can), and FHM users should understand it.

And, if you will found bugs in new patch, they will be able to get rid of them in the match engine patch (I hope).

Just asking to be reasonable.
Where was said that there will be another patch specifically for the match engine?
pens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
Crombeen
Minors (Triple A)

Believe me..

With the development speed OOTP works at THIS upcoming new patch will be the last major patch for version 1.0

After this patch is released there will probably a few more smaller patches get released who tent to improve the bugs and glitches found in the upcoming patch but nothing as huge as we can expect from this upcoming patch will be included.

There is simply no time left to keep working on version 1 of this game at the development speed they work at, also remember OOTP has a few games to take care of, one of the reasons we have to wait so much longer at our patch is that they also have to work at the new Baseball game and maybe a few other games so there is barely time left to come up with new code + give us a 'new' featured game feeling for version 2.0 which is a payable upgrade so you can't make version 2.0 just and update. It has to be an upgrade.

OOTP should start releasing patches more frequently, maybe only two or three major updates to the game each year but a lot more smaller updates in between who only fix some minor issues or graphic improvements. By doing so you show way more activity to your product and people who buy your games. Right now nobody knows what they're doing and you can write an Forum update each 3 days about what it is you're doing but when there is no patch or nothing to be seen of the work you're doing people lose interest.
Letting people wait for 3 mounts between updates (smaller or huge) is just not going to work for them in the long run, people lose interests and start playing other games when this game if not enjoyable. Especially when other game developers start to discount with their games at platforms like Steam, SiGames Football Manager 2014 - I'm waiting for the 70% off deal at Steam what will be coming in the next 2½ months. If I buy fm2014 with my discount I'll start playing it for real and no other game will ge my attention because that game is so addictive and deep you can play it for 20 season and it's still very good. Only saying getting attention from some gamer when he's playing a game he loves is very difficult.

Look at how OOTP have let those FHM forums die because of keeping the patch from us, at the start when they released this game there was a lot of traffic and activity around here, people talked about anything and right now nobody is playing the game, nobody is writing about the game and a few of us are just only checking in to see if the patch is released but what about all those other gamers who maybe already have given up on it because the game wasn't what they excepted and those who are playing COD or what ever other game they like.

Keeping your games focused and on your game is so importent.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
emren13
Bat Boy

I was wondering as well...is their endeavor truly profitable? If so, there should be a specific person that is in charge of update news. That should include posting screenies, near daily updates on developments. Especially, when they charge $40.

A-10 Warthog is quite possibly the best flight sim out there. Even when it first hit the market it was less than $40. Fifa Manager never even that expensive, those are games with years of a track record. So, unfortunately, it is not even about what the game looks like, but the lack of updates, clear structure and this leads to lack of consumers.

Hmm, I still haven't spent the money because I am waiting for this big patch, and a 2 week money back guarantee is simply not good enough. The whole marketing aspect should be re-configured.
emren13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
emren13
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crombeen View Post
ootp should start releasing patches more frequently, maybe only two or three major updates to the game each year but a lot more smaller updates in between who only fix some minor issues or graphic improvements. By doing so you show way more activity to your product and people who buy your games. Right now nobody knows what they're doing and you can write an forum update each 3 days about what it is you're doing but when there is no patch or nothing to be seen of the work you're doing people lose interest.
Letting people wait for 3 mounts between updates (smaller or huge) is just not going to work for them in the long run, people lose interests and start playing other games when this game if not enjoyable. Especially when other game developers start to discount with their games at platforms like steam, sigames football manager 2014 - i'm waiting for the 70% off deal at steam what will be coming in the next 2½ months. If i buy fm2014 with my discount i'll start playing it for real and no other game will ge my attention because that game is so addictive and deep you can play it for 20 season and it's still very good. Only saying getting attention from some gamer when he's playing a game he loves is very difficult.

Look at how ootp have let those fhm forums die because of keeping the patch from us, at the start when they released this game there was a lot of traffic and activity around here, people talked about anything and right now nobody is playing the game, nobody is writing about the game and a few of us are just only checking in to see if the patch is released but what about all those other gamers who maybe already have given up on it because the game wasn't what they excepted and those who are playing cod or what ever other game they like.

could not agree more!!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crombeen View Post
Believe me..

With the development speed OOTP works at THIS upcoming new patch will be the last major patch for version 1.0

After this patch is released there will probably a few more smaller patches get released who tent to improve the bugs and glitches found in the upcoming patch but nothing as huge as we can expect from this upcoming patch will be included.

There is simply no time left to keep working on version 1 of this game at the development speed they work at, also remember OOTP has a few games to take care of, one of the reasons we have to wait so much longer at our patch is that they also have to work at the new Baseball game and maybe a few other games so there is barely time left to come up with new code + give us a 'new' featured game feeling for version 2.0 which is a payable upgrade so you can't make version 2.0 just and update. It has to be an upgrade.

OOTP should start releasing patches more frequently, maybe only two or three major updates to the game each year but a lot more smaller updates in between who only fix some minor issues or graphic improvements. By doing so you show way more activity to your product and people who buy your games. Right now nobody knows what they're doing and you can write an Forum update each 3 days about what it is you're doing but when there is no patch or nothing to be seen of the work you're doing people lose interest.
Letting people wait for 3 mounts between updates (smaller or huge) is just not going to work for them in the long run, people lose interests and start playing other games when this game if not enjoyable. Especially when other game developers start to discount with their games at platforms like Steam, SiGames Football Manager 2014 - I'm waiting for the 70% off deal at Steam what will be coming in the next 2½ months. If I buy fm2014 with my discount I'll start playing it for real and no other game will ge my attention because that game is so addictive and deep you can play it for 20 season and it's still very good. Only saying getting attention from some gamer when he's playing a game he loves is very difficult.

Look at how OOTP have let those FHM forums die because of keeping the patch from us, at the start when they released this game there was a lot of traffic and activity around here, people talked about anything and right now nobody is playing the game, nobody is writing about the game and a few of us are just only checking in to see if the patch is released but what about all those other gamers who maybe already have given up on it because the game wasn't what they excepted and those who are playing COD or what ever other game they like.

In the last couple of weeks I got the WWE Network,Hulu Plus and Netflix(online streaming) so my time with FHM will be limited unless I see bigger changes that suits my game playing ability.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
emren13
Bat Boy

Having released such a buggy and overall bad version of the hockey manager also did not do anyone any favors. least of all the developers. Again, consumers need to know what is up. By now, there are tons of examples where games will be improved throughout, but they never arrive in this bad a shape. Rise of Flight, and many many other examples. These guys should learn from the development team over at MANAGAMES. Their tennis game is amazing! Simply, it is the most realistic tennis game ever. A new build version arrives at least once a month, further improving an already phenomenal game. Again, this game is also priced way below FHM...

Last edited by emren13; 03-08-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
dmytron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pens66 View Post
Where was said that there will be another patch specifically for the match engine?
Link
Quote:
Finally, the match engine: Sebastian continues to make progress, and I continue to write text for it (watching the Olympics is handy for that, I can watch the CBC feed and tab over to the text editor whenever I hear him use a description that'll work in the game.) However, it's going to be a while before it's ready, which leads me to something I hinted at last time: we've decided to do this big update in two patches, one with everything that's been done up to this point, and one that'll be mainly the match engine. It doesn't make sense, given all the changes and bug fixing that's been done in the last few months, to leave all of that on the shelf while we wait for one more thing to get done - even if it's a pretty huge addition. So we're going to combine the planned trading deadline data update with a patch containing all the new stuff except the match engine.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
pens66
Major Leagues

Ah, I see. Thanks.
pens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #11
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Believe me..

Not according to Sebastion and Jeff it won't be.

There will be the big patch, and then another release with the new engine.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #12
dmytron

Quote:
Believe me..
Don't forget that Markus don't code FHM. It's coded by Sebastian and Jeff who doesn't work on OOTP Baseball. Therefore, there isn't any problem of working on many projects simultaneously.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #13
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytron View Post
Don't forget that Markus don't code FHM. It's coded by Sebastian and Jeff who doesn't work on OOTP Baseball. Therefore, there isn't any problem of working on many projects simultaneously.
Malte and Sebastian code and I design, actually. You're right that Markus' availability doesn't enter into it at all, though - Andreas is the one we need to steal from OOTP briefly to spend a little time doing some of the nuts-and-bolts stuff of making the completed patch available for download from our servers. And what Crombeen's also missing is that Sebastian's already done plenty of work on the match engine, it's not like we'll be starting from nothing. It just wasn't going to be ready as soon as everything else was, so we split one planned big patch into two.

Preliminary patch notes posted in the update thread.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #14
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully League Structure is turned on,Random Draft Classes option for past this year,World Templates,League E. for all League including Minors.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #15
Jagorix
Bat Boy

Great patch notes! From the sounds of it once we get the next big patch that hits the game engine and UI we'll have a very solid and fun game to play. I can't wait.
Jagorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #16
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Since we are almost a year out from the release of the original BETA, it makes me wonder what this all means for FHM 2015. I mean, are they going to push out another $40 game in 6 months? And with the amount of work going into FHM 14 to even make it a worthwhile game for many, how much of a difference can we even expect??

Time will tell i guess.. I can personally say though that I question whether I will even buy FHM 15. and I can definitively say that it will take A LOT of convincing for me to buy their new football game.

And since everyone else is sharing, my sports game time has been taken up with Football Manager 14.. My god.. what an AMAZING game this is. Its the first version of FM that I have ever bought and played.. Love it.

Oh well, back to my Wolves season..

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #17
cdidman
Minors (Single A)

New Update, training

Okay, I like the explanation of the patch coming out, especially with training. I have some questions, or maybe I'm just bad at understanding the new training. To me it seems like players won't advance very fast. Unless I am totally off, it sounds like players will only increase 1 attribute a MONTH? And the the peak age is set for 25?? I'm not sure I understand, this seems like no player will ever have a chance to improve into some sort of super star. Do players just get created with good skills? And it seems like all this work will be for nothing since they will start to decrease skill at age 26.

Am I just dumb about this?

Thanks.
cdidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #18
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

After looking over the patch notes I am wondering about a few things I hope I am missing:

Statistical depth -

Are we finally going to have Powerplay and PK numbers calculated properly and tracked properly?

"Tie" or "Draw" - I noticed that in the coaching history, W-L-T records are cited. Are we finally changing it to the proper "Tie" terminology? Also in leagues that do not have OTL's and historical play, will that column be taken out of the interface?

UI

I'll keep this one simple: have there been any changes made to the god awful UI to make it more user friendly and dare I say, more like OOTPB?

Historical Development

Will players be able to develop in Historical Play and not retire with history?? If not, can we remove the unclickable check box?

Furthermore, will any/all check boxes that the user is not able to toggle be removed?

More to come from me I'm sure...

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #19
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully it comes with a saved Game that has stats/standings as of today.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #20
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Believe me..

Sigh. Wrong. There is one other major patch coming, confirmed by the devs in multiple posts.

Quote:
There is simply no time left to keep working on version 1 of this game at the development speed they work at
And what pace do they work at? Do you expect a major overhaul patch to come out within a month of a previous patch? Yes, releasing a game that needed such a dire patch doesn't deserve them any praise, but to 1) assume they will basically abandon version 1 and 2) assume they are slow at programming a game, are both asinine assumptions to make.

Quote:
also remember OOTP has a few games to take care of, one of the reasons we have to wait so much longer at our patch is that they also have to work at the new Baseball game and maybe a few other games so there is barely time left to come up with new code + give us a 'new' featured game feeling for version 2.0 which is a payable upgrade so you can't make version 2.0 just and update. It has to be an upgrade.
Wrong again. You are making a lot of incorrect assumptions to try to back up your points. FHM developers only work on FHM, not OOTP or the new football game. There is plenty of time to "come up with code" and add new game systems, which is what they've been doing the past 6 months or so.

Quote:
OOTP should start releasing patches more frequently, maybe only two or three major updates to the game each year but a lot more smaller updates in between who only fix some minor issues or graphic improvements. By doing so you show way more activity to your product and people who buy your games. Right now nobody knows what they're doing and you can write an Forum update each 3 days about what it is you're doing but when there is no patch or nothing to be seen of the work you're doing people lose interest. Letting people wait for 3 mounts between updates (smaller or huge) is just not going to work for them in the long run, people lose interests and start playing other games when this game if not enjoyable.
This is really just a matter of opinion isn't it? I don't know if by OOTP you mean the FHM or the baseball game or both, but if you've followed the OOTPB boards at all over the past few versions you know Markus is good about letting users know when to expect a patch, and you definitely don't see many people complaining there aren't enough patches. Over on these boards, yes, the developers could do a better job of communicating with us, but even then they have released quite a few patches so far (though the game is currently in a state where it needs more than a few bug fixes and small added features). Furthermore, not a lot of games release consistent patches at a quick rate while keeping users informed, especially sports games (Madden gets maybe 3 minor patches a year). With each patch you have a chance to break something that was already working.

Quote:
Especially when other game developers start to discount with their games at platforms like Steam, SiGames Football Manager 2014 - I'm waiting for the 70% off deal at Steam what will be coming in the next 2½ months.
Again, if you're familiar with the OOTP brand at all, you know they routinely put their baseball game on sale during the MLB All-Star Break (about 3 months after release) and after the season ends, both for 50% off. Plus now since OOTPB just got on Steam, perhaps we'll see it go on sale as well. Remains to be seen if FHM will ever make it onto Steam though.

Quote:
Well to be frank the game isn't that good right now so naturally people are turned away. Even if the developers were posting every day we'd still see decreasing forum activity as people stopped playing. And what are the developers going to do about it anyway? It's not like they can just get the patch out faster to stop people from leaving (and if you think they could, you are fooling yourself). It's the first version of the game, of course it's a little rocky now.
philliesphan26 is offline   Reply With Quote