Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #21
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
PLAYER NAME's Latest Rant Draws League Attention

Though an official League response has yet to come, sources indicated today that they will likely suspend PLAYER NAME for inflammatory comments and derogatory slurs made in his post-game interview with reporters.

Sources from inside the League office suggest PLAYER NAME could be out for as many as ten games as the commissioner seeks to make an example.

PLAYER NAME appeared to become increasingly agitated inside the dugout during the final innings of yesterday's game, at one point exchanging words with fans seated near the dugout, before boiling over in the post-game press conference.

"Look, it's tough to concentrate on baseball when your wife is getting harassed by a bunch of idiots up in the stands. A bunch of [racist slur] were dumping beer all over her all night, and the [homophobic slur] who work in this dump of a stadium never did anything to stop it."

The crowd of reporters sat stunned, waiting for more. PLAYER NAME glared out at the cameras, and continued.

"Stupid [derogatory slur for immigrants] dumping out beer that cost half their salary," PLAYER NAME laughed. "Typical of this crappy city."

Teammates were quick to condemn PLAYER NAME's derogatory language, but said he had every right to be angry.

"Can't say that [type of thing]. Just can't," said TEAMMATE. "But when fans go disrespecting family? And security could give a [care]? I'd be angry, too."

When reached for a response to his rumored suspension, PLAYER NAME offered a terse apology, tempered with defiance.

"I'm sorry I lost my cool, and sorry if anyone was offended by what I said," said PLAYER NAME at his suburban home outside of TEAM CITY. "We live in a world where grown men rely on umpteen flitting managers and stylists and representatives to scrub their image, clean up their language, and build an easy-sell, PC-friendly package."

I don't fit that package."

EFFECTS

Player suspended for seven to ten games
Player's national popularity decreases greatly
Player's local popularity decreases slightly
Player's teammates slight decrease in happiness
torpidbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #22
BaronA
Minors (Single A)

SP Jeff Davis Accessible To Fans During Cactus League Games.

Spring Training Storyline.

SP Jeff Davis of the San Diego Padres has utilized his free time at the ball park during spring training to meet fans and sign autographs.

"I make it a priority to sign as many autographs as I can during spring training.
The fans are the reason we're compensated handsomely to play this game. I take pride in doing my part in making it an entertaining atmosphere at these exhibition games.

Once our club breaks camp, it'll be more challenging to find the free time to interact with the fans, so I'm taking advantage of this opportunity."

Effect: Local and National popularity goes up.
BaronA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

If you see {PLAYER} with a big smile on his face it is because of his impending nuptials. His bride-to-be is instantly recognizable from her appearances in various fashion and pin-up magazines. She is a lot more than a pretty face, though, as her work with various charitable organizations is very well known.

Sorry fellas, she's off the market!

The happy couple will be married during the off-season at an undisclosed location.

Effect:

Local popularity +
National popularity +
Greed +

(note: if you are wondering why I said a bump in Greed, it is to indicate that the player would require the team to donate some money to his new wife's charities of choice)
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #24
Kaaosaste
Minors (Double A)

(This is meant to be a two parter. The first should happen sometime in the early offseason, and the effects should happen just before the start of the regular season)

Stud Pitcher Suffers Devastating Injury

"It's probably the worst thing that can happen to a young pitcher," said coach [coach] when he learned the news: A star prospect in his system had mangled his pitching hand.
Jim Smith, the [prospect ranking] on the latest Top Prospect list was clearing snow off his parent's driveway in his home town of [home town], when the blades jammed. Before turning the machine off, he reached in to removed the blockage when the tines resumed spinning, taking two of the young man's fingers with them.
"It's just horrible," Smith said. "Baseball is my life."
It gets worse. The fingers were so badly mangled that doctor's were unable to reattach them.
Smith's future remains uncertain. Doctors seriously doubt he'll be able to resume his pitching career

then, in March/April, comes the news...

Pitching Prospect Turns Tragedy into Success

Last Winter, Jim Smith lost two fingers on his pitching hand when trying to clear a blockage from a snowblower. His return to professional baseball was doubtful.
Fast forward to the Spring. The young man has made a full recovery, despite his mutilated hand. Not only that, he's actually been able to improve on his already highly touted potential.
"The ball just jumps out of my hand. I'm able to put spin on it that never would have been possible before," and excited Smith said.
Team doctor's agree, Smith's recovery has been miraculous. "It's not something I thought' I'd ever see, but the kid has actually improved with three fingers. It's unreal."

Requirements:
Age <= 21
Work Ethic = Very High
Top Prospect

Effect:
Significant increase to stuff rating.

or

Mangled Pitcher Set to Return to Full Time Duty

Last Winter, Jim Smith made headlines when he lost two fingers clearing the blockage from a running snowblower. His return to professional baseball was doubtful.
Well, Smith has again captured the nation's heart as he has refused to give up his dream of playing in the big leagues.
"The hand, I mean, it is what it is," said Smith. "I'm just trying to go forward and I still think I have what it takes to contribute at a high level."
When asked for a comment, Smith's coach had this to say: "You gotta love the kid's heart. Most guys would have called it quits, but he battled back, and you can tell he really wants to be here."
Scouts, however, have a bleaker outlook for the once Top Prospect. Most agree that while he still has the ability to pitch, the once "can't miss" phenom has nowhere near the potential he once used to.

Requirements:
same

Effects:
Significant decrease to control potential
Kaaosaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #25
English_Twin
Bat Boy

Random McName’s wife has shocked sports fans in City after telling the media she hopes they can move cities as soon as possible.
In an interview with the local media, Mrs. McName has criticised the local region, calling it a ‘One horse town with nothing to do and no good shops’. Mrs. McName went on to praise other Major League cities, saying she would love to see her husband plying his trade in the Big Apple or Los Angeles.
Must be in a small market team with less than .500 rating
Player must be hitting .290 or higher
Effects:
Players local popularity decreases
Players morale decreases
Greed increases to high
Increased interest from Mets/Dodgers/Yankees/Angels if possible?
English_Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #26
BaronA
Minors (Single A)

RF Jeff Scott Gets Hitched

Offseason Story

RF Brad Scott recently got married to his high school sweetheart, Amy James. Many of his teammates were able to fly into his hometown to attend this beautiful occasion.

" I was able to convince many of the fellas to come out because of a soiree of this magnitude, Scott stated. It was a beautiful day in Amy and I's life and I'm grateful to be able to share the memories with some of my teammates."

Effect: Scott's Greed increases. (women are expensive.)
Loyalty increases (commitment has made him a more loyal man.)
Maybe he's more likely to sign an extension with his current club if he's paid at near market value, avoiding free agency.

Last edited by BaronA; 02-07-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #27
Kaaosaste
Minors (Double A)

Slugger Set to Start on Alternative Workout Regimen

Jim Smith has been terrorizing pitchers for years now. One would argue that whatever workout routine the slugger has been adhering to has paid off in spades.
Well, Jim Smith would disagree.
The [height] [weight] [position] announced this week that he would be embarking on a brand new exercising routine. One that forbids almost any sort of physical exertion.
Said Smith, "Guru Habanjasang has come up with what I think will be an effective workout philosophy." When asked about the lack of actual exercise, Smith replied, "Yes, that's part of the program. Technically, I shouldn't even be running the bases any more, but we've agreed that an acceptable exception."
The Twitterverse exploded with opinions when Smith made the announcement. Smith has issued only one tweet in response: "Guru Habanjasang knows all."

Requirements:
Age >= 30
Work Ethic = Very Low
Power >= 8

Effects
Popularity decreases
Significant decrease to power and gap ratings
Old 02-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #28
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

PLAYER NAME Rankles Against "Gritty" Image

PLAYER NAME wants you to know he's not "plucky." His heart isn't any bigger or smaller than the average ball player. He's hasn't made it with spit and determination, hasn't made the "most out of the least," and has never tried to impress the manager by dirtying his uniform.

"What would impress me? As a manager? Is whether or not I got the damn out, not if I got a face full of dirt or whatever."

Spend a day watching baseball, and you're likely to hear about players who are "gritty" or "gutsy," who "leave it all out on the field" and "just battle up there at the plate."

But PLAYER NAME suggests you take a careful look at who the announcers tag with "tenacious" descriptions.

"99% of the time, it's a guy like me who doesn't fit the slugger mold. You know, not built like a linebacker."

Though beat reporters and broadcast announcers likely mean no harm in stereotyping smaller players, it's the implication that shorter players need super-human willpower to succeed in the league that irritates PLAYER NAME.

"Really, it's worse than a back-handed compliment," says PLAYER NAME. "You're saying the way I survived at this level is not through skill and ability, but through some magical Joe Morgan-esque force called 'Guts' or 'Grit.'"

I made this team the same way the other 24 guys did -- by being one of the best 500 or so ballplayers in the world."

According to PLAYER NAME, it goes beyond lazy broadcaster shorthand, too; there's an element of race involved, too.

"How many black guys have you ever heard described as being 'plucky?'" PLAYER NAME asks. "How many Dominicans have guts like those I supposedly pack? It's dumb, it's lazy, and it's insulting."

Requirements
White
Under 6'

Effect
Small decrease in national popularity
Small increase in local popularity
Old 02-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #29
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

Two-parter:

Sources: TEAM NAME Players Unhappy with Field Quality

According to a local beat reporter's unnamed source, multiple TEAM NAME players have approached management to voice concerns about the condition of TEAM STADIUM NAME's playing field.

According to this source, the players met together in a private meeting before team batting practice and appointed an unnamed player to meet with OWNER NAME and MANAGER NAME to air complaints about the field's upkeep.

REQUIREMENTS
Owner must be "Economizer" or worse

EFFECTS
Small decrease in player satisfaction

PLAYER NAME Injured in Grounds Crew Accident

PLAYER NAME suffered an unexpected injury yesterday morning during player warm-ups. As the players talked and stretched, the TEAM NAME's grounds crew practiced their 7th Inning Stretch "Rake and Dance" performance set to Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up."

"I saw PLAYER NAME stretching his quads," said TEAMMATE. "Next thing I knew, PLAYER NAME was laid out near the batting circle with a rake upside the head."

Part of the dance included a section where the groundskeepers swung their rakes around their heads as if the tools were a Jitterbugging partner. One crew member, said TEAM OWNER, lost his grip.

Team officials insist the incident was an accident, despite recent reports that numerous players had approached management to criticize the quality of the field and its day-to-day upkeep.

"Accident or not," said TEAMMATE. "From now on, I'll wait until they're done dancing before I start my warm-ups."

EFFECTS
Slight concussion to random player
Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #30
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Star Upset over Hollywood Flop

Jim Smith tested the waters of Hollywood this offseason, with a supporting role in the big budget action film Screamin' Eagles. He was all smiles at last month's premier, posing on the red carpet for tabloid photographers.
Unfortunately for Smith, Screamin' Eagles did not enjoy the kindest of reviews. Critics have universally panned the movie, calling it "The Modern Day Ishtar." Smith as well was not well received, with one critic calling his performance as Sergeant Dick Grimes "pathetically laughable," and saying, "...he should stick to baseball."
Smith has yet to comment on whether or not he'll reprise his role as Grimes in the sequel, Screamin' Eagles II: Screams of Justice, announced earlier this week.

Requirements:
Age => 25
Greed: Very High
National Popularity: Popular or above.

Effects:
Severe decrease in morale
Decrease in national popularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaosaste View Post
Star Upset over Hollywood Flop

Jim Smith tested the waters of Hollywood this offseason, with a supporting role in the big budget action film Screamin' Eagles. He was all smiles at last month's premier, posing on the red carpet for tabloid photographers.
Unfortunately for Smith, Screamin' Eagles did not enjoy the kindest of reviews. Critics have universally panned the movie, calling it "The Modern Day Ishtar." Smith as well was not well received, with one critic calling his performance as Sergeant Dick Grimes "pathetically laughable," and saying, "...he should stick to baseball."
Smith has yet to comment on whether or not he'll reprise his role as Grimes in the sequel, Screamin' Eagles II: Screams of Justice, announced earlier this week.

Requirements:
Age => 25
Greed: Very High
National Popularity: Popular or above.

Effects:
Severe decrease in morale
Decrease in national popularity
This one is a good candidate for the use of multiple movie titles, which is something the Storyline engine supports (and if it''s broken, needs to be addressed in beta). What other kinds of movie titles would you suggest?

This is written such that the sequel blurb could easily be a later follow up article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ootpFox07 View Post
This one is a good candidate for the use of multiple movie titles, which is something the Storyline engine supports (and if it''s broken, needs to be addressed in beta). What other kinds of movie titles would you suggest?
You can do the same with the Ishtar reference - sub in Howard the Duck, The Adventures of Pluto Nash, Heaven's Gate, etc.

edit - somehow this post has ended up under my name after some mod edits, and I hope it's clear that I only made the last comment about replacing the Ishtar reference. Kaaosaste wrote the story.

Last edited by injury log; 02-08-2013 at 11:38 AM.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:43 AM   #31
BaronA
Minors (Single A)

SP Juan Fernandez Furious With Current Team Transactions.

This can happen when a popular player/highly rated player is traded. Most likely a player with a high rating for a "desire to play for a winner."

Juan Fernandez, SP for the Chicago Cubs has been candid about how he feels about the front offices recent move.

"I guess we're throwing in the towel this season. Cutting bait with key pieces is going to spiral our club in the wrong direction moving forward. Is our team being dismantled for a total rebuild? I'm not on board for that. I play to win. We'll soon find out if the GM has anything else up his sleeve."

Effect: Morale for team transactions plummets. Team performance will be likely drop with any slumps the rest of the year.
This could be a two part scenario. If it turns into a fiasco similar to the Marlins fire sale, the player will demand a trade or it will effect his performance.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #32
mirrf
All Star Starter

Kangaroo Court is in session

The Braves had a restless night after their 3rd home loss in a row. After John Smith grumbled about lack of playing time to manager Casey Stengel in front of reporters, the Braves held a closed door meeting. From information leaked from the meeting, team captain Sam Jones tried John Smith for "high treason, conduct detrimental to the team, and some serious foot odor". The jury of teammates found John Smith guilty of all crimes and sentenced him to $100 and one day of charity work.

Effect:
team morale increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrf View Post
Time is like a crystal pool in front of a mirror, wrapped in a fortune cookie. It is to be eaten, but the glass shards will burn brightest when coming out the back end.
mirrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #33
NatsToTheEnd
Bat Boy

Catcher Indicted for White Collar Crime
Padres catcher Joe Smith was served a Federal Indictment last Monday for participating in a scheme to defraud investors. Federal Prosecutors report upwards of $9 Million may have been stolen from people across the country. Smith continues to plead his innocence. “I know absolutely nothing about this,” the 31-year-old ballplayer said. “All I did was invest in McIntyre and Koch Holdings and next thing I know I’m posting bail.” Smith will go to court on the 17th in a preliminary hearing. If convicted, Smith could face years behind bars. But that won’t be an issue according to Smith’s high-dollar lawyer. “My client was defrauded by people who sought him and his wealth out and used him to harm others. Mr. Smith was used and it is disgusting that he, the victim, is being labeled as an accomplice to this heinous crime.”

Possible Effects:
• Suspension
• Release
• Greed Increase (to pay for defense)
• Retirement (may un-retire later)
• Conviction and forced retirement

Player Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis
Indians 2nd baseman Joe Smith had been feeling under the weather for some time. His legs tingled, his arms ached, and at times his vision blurred and he had trouble seeing the ball. After encouragement from his wife, Smith went to see a doctor, who sent Smith to get an MRI done. The scan showed plaque located on Smith’s spine. The diagnosis: MS. “I had a feeling something was up, and I’m glad I saw a doctor when I did. I hope to play through this and stop when the doc tells me to.” Smith has seen his error percentage increase and his OBP fall over the last month, and the slump may be attributed to his disease. Indians General Manager held a press conference yesterday to confirm the team’s dedication to Smith. “We in the Indians Front Office will work to see Joe through this tough time and hope he can stick with us as long as possible.”

Possible Effects:
• Constant 5% Day-to-Day Injury
• Unforeseen time on DL
• Stat Drop
• Retirement

Star Outfielder’s Son Starts at Exclusive School
Today was a big day for Theodore Smith, son of Marlins third baseman Joe Smith. It was his first day of Kindergarten at the touted Miami private academy, Winthrop Acres. Theodore passed multiple aptitude exams in order to be accepted into the school, which has only 400 children over all 13 grades. “Today is such a special moment for Theo and I am just so proud,” said Smith. “When I got into being a parent I never imagined the love and joy that he could bring me and I’m just so delighted to see Theo go to a school that can cultivate his academic desires.” This experience, coupled with the Smith family’s recent purchase of a luxury penthouse, show just how committed a third baseman the Marlins have in Joe Smith.

Possible Effects
• Raises Loyalty
• Raises performance
• Raises Happiness

White Sox’s Smith attends Leadership Seminar
Some say it’s impossible to teach an old dog new tricks, but try saying that to 38-year-old White Sox first baseman Joe Smith. Smith, a 14 year veteran, attended a Chicago leadership conference last Sunday, hoping to hone his clubhouse skills. “I’m getting up there in age now and I want to make sure I can serve as a mentor to some of the young guys coming up,” said Smith, known league-wide for his fostering of young infielders. “I want to be able to more effectively pass down the knowledge I've obtained to the younger guys, so we all get to see some better ball.”

Possible Effects:
• Leadership Bonus
• Players under 21/recently promoted Performance bonus
• Higher Chance of Becoming Coach???
NatsToTheEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #34
Kaaosaste
Minors (Double A)

[Player] Accidentally Shoots Himself While Cleaning Handgun

[Player] will be spending some time on the disabled list after he was cleaning out a handgun when the weapon discharged. The bullet lodged itself in [player's] foot and he had to be rushed to the local emergency room.
[Player's coach] will be forced to find a replacement for the injured player for the next few weeks at least. Doctor's were able to remove the bullet, but [player] will be lain up for at least a month while the wound heals.
"Normally I'm very careful when I clean my gun," a disappointed [player] told reporters. "I guess it goes to show, you can never be sure with guns."
Team doctors are unsure whether or not this will have any long term effects on [players] ability.

Requirements:
Intelligence = Very Low

Possible effects:
Player is injured for 1-3 months
Decrease in speed rating (I'm not sure if this is possible)
or
Decrease in contact (if he shoots himself in the hand)
Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #35
Kaaosaste
Minors (Double A)

Junk Turns Out to Be Worth Millions

Jim Smith was cleaning out the attic of a house he recently purchased when he came across a box of baseball cards that could be worth quite a bit of money. According to sources, the cards contain, among others, a rare complete set of the [year] season. The set was produced by L.M. Graham Tobacco company, with cards being included with packs of cigarettes. If authentic, it will be the first time a complete set has been discovered in one place.
After examining the cards, eminent baseball memorabilia expert Francis Chuffington was beyond impressed. "I was completely nonplussed. I simply couldn't believe I was looking at a complete [year] set of L.M. Grahams."
The cards are expected to fetch anywhere from $50M to $200M at auction.
When asked what he thought of being in possession of such a rare piece of baseball history, Smith replied, "All I know is, I'm about to get paid."

Requirements:
Player age >= 28
Greed = Very High

Effects:
Player retires
Old 02-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #36
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Luke Scott Puts His Money Where His Mouth Is

After months of controversy over his statements regarding the September 11, 2011, attacks in the U.S., Tampa Bay Rays first baseman Luke Scott decided to finally go find the truth for himself. He declined an $8 million contract offer from Tampa Bay this week and enlisted in the Marines. "I felt this was the right decision," Scott said in a telephone interview. "It's easy to sit back and watch the news and judge from a distance. But to actually go into battle looking for the truth. . . well, that takes more dedication and determination than anyone sitting in a comfy chair yelling at the television." He is scheduled to be in boot camp at Parris Island in South Carolina by the time his Rays teammates open up spring training in March.

For his career, Scott hit .260 with 126 HRs and 396 RBI. He also stole 16 bases, including a career high 5 in 2012.

Possible effects: fan interest in Rays goes up, retirement, team morale drops a bit due to losing teammate

Last edited by OBSL Commish; 02-10-2013 at 06:14 PM.
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #37
mirrf
All Star Starter

Bobblehead promotion causes delay

"In all my years of baseball, I've never seen this." San Diego Padres announcer Chip Kellogg was quoted as saying. "I've seen games delayed because of rain, snow, power outages, even once a tornado, but never because of a give away."

The start of the San Diego Padres game had to be delayed 25 minutes to clean up debris thrown onto the field due to unhappy fans. The first ten thousand fans were promised to recieve a bobble head doll of local slugger John Smith, but a majority of those fans recieved a damaged goods.

San Diego fan Paco Juarez said, "I bought these tickets when the bobble head promotion was announced. Me and my boy got here an hour early to make sure we got one. As soon as we got to our seat, we opened them, and both of them were in pieces. When we went back to the gate, they were already out. I couldn't blame people for being upset. But I would have thought they had more common sense than to throw those heads onto the field."

John Smith tried to laugh it off. "It felt as if the stadium was filled with clones of my first wife. But in all seriousness, I'm just happy nobody got hurt."

Effect:
Fan loyalty drops

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrf View Post
Time is like a crystal pool in front of a mirror, wrapped in a fortune cookie. It is to be eaten, but the glass shards will burn brightest when coming out the back end.
mirrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #38
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Just a quick update. You guys are really on a role lately as all of the stories on the 2nd page are possible. 8 on the first page have already made it into OOTP 14 and a couple of more will also be added from that page alone. The complex conditions/triggers/etc take time to set up but really add a lot of character. Well done guys! Please keep it up!

Last edited by cody8200; 02-12-2013 at 11:05 PM.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #39
BaronA
Minors (Single A)

KC 1B James Smith Suspended For Conduct Detrimental To The Team.

Manager Jimmy Williams was peppered with questions from the media regarding Smith's suspension.

"We're keeping the matter in house, so I won't be going into any details regarding his suspension. I will state that he broke team rules, and that's why he'll be suspended for 3 games."

"What I can take from all this is that it may be time for me to start running a tighter ship around here. The chemistry in our clubhouse hasn't been a problem, but If I continue to sweep things under the rug, it could lead to players becoming complacent. We can't afford any distractions that stand in the way of our team goals. We must all continue to be on the same page moving forward to succeed."

Effect: James Smith's morale drops.
Maybe a slight spike in morale to a couple clubhouse leaders.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #40
ootpFox07
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200 View Post
Just a quick update. You guys are really on a role lately as all of the stories on the 2nd page are possible. 8 on the first page have already made it into OOTP 14 and a couple of more will also be added from that page alone. The complex conditions/triggers/etc take time to set up but really add a lot of character. Well done guys! Please keep it up!
Thank your for spearheading this effort Cody!