Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Logos, Graphics, and HTML

Old 07-03-2006, 12:11 AM   #81
glenn
Major Leagues

Wow, this looks awesome! I started playing around tonight with importing real photos, and was amazed what a difference it made for me.

Thanks for all your efforts and time. This looks like it will be incredible!
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:58 AM   #82
Layton is my Homeboy
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long_Long_Name
Although... hispanic is european, isn't it?
Pretty much. In reality, of course, subtle differences in appearance from region to region can be sud-devided into thousands of classes. It's just a question of how much realism is really practical in a little tool like this. I'm inclined to just leave Hispanic countries as European. I think the biggest ones lacking for me are Arabs, Persians, and Polynesians, as East Indian, East Indian, and Asian, respectively, don't really capture it. Then again, I don't think my league has a single player from islands, so it may be splitting hairs.
Layton is my Homeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:13 AM   #83
sfgiants88
All Star Reserve

Looks great! Keep up the good work.

Another vote here for adding 6.5 functionality.

Congrats on your LSAT score as well!
sfgiants88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:53 AM   #84
Deft
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layton is my Homeboy
Pretty much. In reality, of course, subtle differences in appearance from region to region can be sud-devided into thousands of classes. It's just a question of how much realism is really practical in a little tool like this. I'm inclined to just leave Hispanic countries as European. I think the biggest ones lacking for me are Arabs, Persians, and Polynesians, as East Indian, East Indian, and Asian, respectively, don't really capture it. Then again, I don't think my league has a single player from islands, so it may be splitting hairs.
I use East Indians for Latinos. They have similar skin tones and eye colors. Latinos with Aztec Indian heritage is difficult to produce, I use some SE Asian to replicate rounder faces of the Aztecs. Roman, and Aztec hooked noses are impossible to replicate with the Facegen tool.

Examples-

http://athl-online.com/stats/mohamed_bolivar.bmp
http://athl-online.com/stats/hector_aranda.bmp

Last edited by Deft; 07-05-2006 at 12:58 AM.
Deft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:10 AM   #85
Alphasim
Minors (Single A)

Have there been any updates since your last post? I'm really looking forward to someday using this on my league. It's gotta be tough, though, huh? Let us know if anything changes, 'k? We're all excited to see the finished product!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:15 AM   #86
Layton is my Homeboy
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphasim
Have there been any updates since your last post? I'm really looking forward to someday using this on my league. It's gotta be tough, though, huh? Let us know if anything changes, 'k? We're all excited to see the finished product!
Glad to hear you're still excited! There isn't much to report. I'm still hacking away, but the biggest issue right now is that I'm waiting for the next patch to come out because there may be some changes to what data is included in the dump, which will in turn mean that I will have to re-code some parts. So, for now I'm just doing what I can and waiting for that next patch.

This might mean that I'm a little behind on my original schedule... but I'll try to crank out at least a workable beta as soon as I can.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #87
Max Venerable
Minors (Double A)

Is this going to be functional for 6.5 or only 2006? Anxiously awaiting it...

-Max

The NEBA, an now defunkt solo league

- "It's Turtles all the way Down."
Max Venerable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:58 PM   #88
Layton is my Homeboy
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Venerable
Is this going to be functional for 6.5 or only 2006? Anxiously awaiting it...

-Max
For the time being, no. I want to focus on getting it to work for 2006 first.

The issue is that the two games have a completely different data structure, so a lot of the code won't recycle from one program to the other.

Once I'm done the 2006 version, I will evaluate whether it makes sense for me to make the other one.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:00 PM   #89
Layton is my Homeboy
Major Leagues

Progress Update: Getting Closer to first Beta

A couple of progress updates.

First of all, I'd like to congratulate MidKnight for creating a very good tool called FaceScript, which does something very similar to what I am trying to do. His script plugs in to Photoshop to create random player photos. If this tool had been around before I started this project... I wouldn't have. So if you have photoshop, try it out today. There are really only two differences between MidKnight's script and my project: 1) mine will be standalone; and 2) FaceTool images will be driven by in-game data such as nationality and team colours.

In addition, Comedian2004 has created AutoFace, which takes actual player photos and puts them in your game, based on nationality data. This is also a wonderful program, and I would like to congratulate Comedian2004 for it (as well as about 1000 other excellent utilities, way to go!)

Ok, on to buisness.

As with just about any programming project, I am no behind on my original timetable. I've been waiting for the patches, as this affects the data that I am able to glean from the saved game. However, I am now charging ahead full tilt and hope to have a first public beta available soon (no release date, since that will only make me look bad when I don't meet it... sorry... I'll get it done as soon as I can though.)

This is an updated roadmap for how I want to release it:
1) First Public Beta
Will only be able to do active players, not retired ones. Probably will only include generic uniforms and no custom ones. The purpose of this release is mainly to tweak photo generation module for quality control (eg to make sure that hair is placed in the appropriate place on the head, no one's face in invisible, etc.)

2) Second Public Beta
This one will include custom uniforms... so you'll be able to make MLB uniforms, for example.

3) Version 1.0
Will be able to create photos for retired players, using the uniform of the team that they had most AB/IP with over their career.

4) Version 1.1
Will include a separate module to create staff photos.

Last thing, a few people have requested that I make a version of the program for v6.5. Unfortunately, I don't think that I will be able to do this. I barely have enough time to get the main version done, and since I don't personally play 6.5 any more, I just doesn't make sense to spend that much extra time on it. I will, however, make the Delphi code publicly available for anyone who wants to take a crack at it.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:36 AM   #90
jwalkerdb
Minors (Single A)

Question Truly Stand Alone

LIMHB,

Is this program going to be truly stand alone? The reason I ask is because I am not a computer expert like you and some of the other great programmers in our community.

Most of these programs require you to do dumps, download other programs, renaming files, more then one complicated set of instructions, etc. I am just not up to the test. Will we just be able to download this utility and use it. Or will there be an elaborate set up process?

I think this utlity is going to be great and I am checking the website everyday awaiting its arrival, just like I did for the latest game version itself. On everyone's behalf, thanks in advance.

Warmest Regards,

John
jwalkerdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:30 PM   #91
Layton is my Homeboy
Major Leagues

The only thing that you will to do is a CSV dump from the game, which is very easy to do. Also, it probably won't work for Macs. There will be easy to follow instructions as soon as I release it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalkerdb
LIMHB,

Is this program going to be truly stand alone? The reason I ask is because I am not a computer expert like you and some of the other great programmers in our community.

Most of these programs require you to do dumps, download other programs, renaming files, more then one complicated set of instructions, etc. I am just not up to the test. Will we just be able to download this utility and use it. Or will there be an elaborate set up process?

I think this utlity is going to be great and I am checking the website everyday awaiting its arrival, just like I did for the latest game version itself. On everyone's behalf, thanks in advance.

Warmest Regards,

John
Old 07-24-2006, 08:39 PM   #92
Layton is my Homeboy
Major Leagues

New Screenshot

Here's a new screenshot, showing some of the data tables used internally

Last edited by Layton is my Homeboy; 07-24-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:47 PM   #93
Cork55
All Star Starter

Looking good. I can't wait to use this.

-Cork
Cork55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #94
Rockpsl76
Minors (Single A)

This looks like the MVP of all OOTP mods, I'm anxiously waiting arival of the beta

I've only read the first a last page of this topic, so pardon me if this has already been suggested, but I did something very similar for a game I was writing, and I found I could get twice as many faces simply by mirroring half of the portraits (assuming your sticking with the 3/4 profile). Its generally pretty easy to mirror and image, and gives a surprising amount of variability.
Rockpsl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:22 PM   #95
Rockpsl76
Minors (Single A)

I noticed a couple threads about what to do when a player switches teams... Do you place uniforms in the front most layer, or do you place faces over shirts? Because if uniforms are in the front layer, it probably wouldn't be a big leap to create an update tool that would just look through the league and repaste uniforms into the existing photos. This might mess up portraits that weren't made by your tools, but I don't think that'll be an issue for most people since most people will just use your tool for all of their portraits. This also would just make use of your existing code, so you wouldn't need to do much extra code. Just a bug in your ear. Its you time, so you can decide how best to play with it
Rockpsl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:18 PM   #96
Layton is my Homeboy
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpsl76
I noticed a couple threads about what to do when a player switches teams... Do you place uniforms in the front most layer, or do you place faces over shirts? Because if uniforms are in the front layer, it probably wouldn't be a big leap to create an update tool that would just look through the league and repaste uniforms into the existing photos. This might mess up portraits that weren't made by your tools, but I don't think that'll be an issue for most people since most people will just use your tool for all of their portraits. This also would just make use of your existing code, so you wouldn't need to do much extra code. Just a bug in your ear. Its you time, so you can decide how best to play with it
Basically, here's what I've been working on:
  • when the tool first makes a photo for a player, it stores which face, hair, facial hair, and accessory is used to make the photo
  • when a player changes teams, it regenerates the photo using the same face, etc., but with a different uniform
  • whenever the program discovers photos that it did not generate (ie actual player photos, or custom-made ones,) it flags that player and will not alter or replace that photo (so if you have a real photo, the team won't update at all)
  • what I might consider doing is having the program do is add a small logo to one of the bottom corners of non-generated photos to show the team, and just update that part
Quote:
I've only read the first a last page of this topic, so pardon me if this has already been suggested, but I did something very similar for a game I was writing, and I found I could get twice as many faces simply by mirroring half of the portraits (assuming your sticking with the 3/4 profile). Its generally pretty easy to mirror and image, and gives a surprising amount of variability.
What I'm currently thinking of doing is actually recycling the faces entirely, so that they can be used an unlimited number of times. The reason for this is that the hair and facial hair are added on separately, so even if you use exactly the same face 3 or 4 times, the chances are you still won't get 2 identical faces because of the hair variability. As well, given a large enough pool of faces, hairstyles, etc. the chances of getting identical photos reduces significantly. This also has the added advantage that you can in theory create an unlimited number of photos from a finite set of faces (which is handy for people like me who sim 45 years of a 30-team league, with full minors.)

Quote:
This looks like the MVP of all OOTP mods, I'm anxiously waiting arival of the beta
Why thank you... I still don't know 100% when I will be able to release it, but rest assured I am working diligently away at it. I've unfortunately run into yet another repetitive crash issue with my savegame, so I've got more time to work on the utility (Note to Marcus: I think that there may be an issue on Win 98 which limits the number of records you can have in the DB, causing an access violation when the savegame starts to get very big.)

One last thing... I'm working on a procedure for generic uniforms, and I want to know what everyone thinks of the following:
  • there will be a number of different "styles" of uniforms, and a particular team's uniform style will be determined by hashing the team name (so that a given team's uniforms are consistent across all players.)
  • the generic uniforms will be stored by the game in grayscale in two files: primary.bmp and secondary.bmp
  • When a photo is generated, the program will figure out which style to use, then access the primary.bmp file. It will replace the gray pixels with the team's background color, as stored in the game, using the grayscale to determine shading
  • Then it will access the secondary.bmp file and overlay that one onto the first, replacing the gray pixels with the team's text color
  • Finally, the team's logo, as stored in the game, is reduced in size and placed over the chest of the uniform
So, if there was a "pinstripes" style of uniform, the primary.bmp would be the just the shape and shading of a regular uniform, and the secondary.bmp file would have just the pinstripes.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #97
Carplos
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Will we be able to manipulate in any way the number of players which have certain characteristics (i.e. long/short hair or facial hair)?
Carplos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:49 PM   #98
Markmeister
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layton is my Homeboy
  • Finally, the team's logo, as stored in the game, is reduced in size and placed over the chest of the uniform
Can this part be made optional? Currently, I am using a lot of jersey logos which I think look good in the game. Would look sort of strange if the logo on the jersey is another jersey.

Alternatively, could you leave the logo off of the jersey and just place a reduced copy of the logo in one of the corners?

Jersey style logos
Vintage letter logos
Vintage uniforms

Last edited by Markmeister; 07-30-2006 at 04:53 PM.
Markmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:13 PM   #99
Layton is my Homeboy
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmeister
Can this part be made optional? Currently, I am using a lot of jersey logos which I think look good in the game. Would look sort of strange if the logo on the jersey is another jersey.

Alternatively, could you leave the logo off of the jersey and just place a reduced copy of the logo in one of the corners?
I think for the Beta it'll have to be mandatory, but the first full release is going to be much more flexible, and will definitely have options that allow you to disable the logo, not recycle faces, etc.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:15 PM   #100
Layton is my Homeboy
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carplos
Will we be able to manipulate in any way the number of players which have certain characteristics (i.e. long/short hair or facial hair)?
I think that what will happen is I will package a csv file that has the frequencies of hair colours, hair styles, and facial hair styles, each broken down by ethnicity, which could be easily edited with notepad.