Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 12-14-2016, 11:28 PM   #1
Sharpie
Minors (Single A)

Tons of Questions

I over expansion Penguins {'67} so I have a few questions...

Will player develop more on the Reserve list or as not dressed?

Will player develop more unsigned or on the Reserve list?

In strategy: if a player is a Shadow 4; is it better to keep him at the higher role or if there is a Major/Minor Counter Role where he is a 3 go to it?

Is there a place to learn the best attributes for the 5v5 tactics? (Triangle Flexible vs Stretching D) PP? or PK?

Is it better to look at the Skater Ratings or the Individual Attributes... i.e
Skater Rating DEF: 15
Attribures: CHE 17 DRD 17 POS 17 & AGI 15

With dressing only 10 forwards when you play the game do you move 2 forward down to the 4th line or leave only 1 player on the 4th line?
Sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:29 PM   #2
Sharpie
Minors (Single A)

How much of a factor is Game Fatigue during game? Most games every forward is OUT of game fatigue with about 5 minutes to go in the 3rd period.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:34 PM   #3
Sharpie
Minors (Single A)

Do you look at overall Stars or individual attributes when figuring out your lines and roles?

1* Playmaker with is a Playmaker 4 seems to make sense on 1st line between Sniper 4 & Power Forward 4
Old 12-15-2016, 05:17 AM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
I over expansion Penguins {'67} so I have a few questions...

Will player develop more on the Reserve list or as not dressed?
Depends on the player. A good one (based on current ability, not potential) will probably be better off on the main roster.

Quote:
Will player develop more unsigned or on the Reserve list?
On the reserve list.

Quote:
In strategy: if a player is a Shadow 4; is it better to keep him at the higher role or if there is a Major/Minor Counter Role where he is a 3 go to it?
Minor probably no, major possibly yes. We're working on a way to make the effects of that decision a little clearer.

Quote:
Is it better to look at the Skater Ratings or the Individual Attributes... i.e
Skater Rating DEF: 15
Attribures: CHE 17 DRD 17 POS 17 & AGI 15
The ratings are derived from the attributes to give you a general idea of his strengths and weaknesses, so it's really the same data, just less specific.

Quote:
With dressing only 10 forwards when you play the game do you move 2 forward down to the 4th line or leave only 1 player on the 4th line?
Unless I specifically want the single player to play regularly, I usually leave him alone and with icetime set to 0 and let the AI coach use him to fill in when somebody's penalized/too fatigued to play on his regular line.

Quote:
How much of a factor is Game Fatigue during game? Most games every forward is OUT of game fatigue with about 5 minutes to go in the 3rd period.
It has a fairly significant effect on some of their ratings. You may want to lower the ice time for your top lines slightly to see if that helps.

Quote:
Do you look at overall Stars or individual attributes when figuring out your lines and roles?

1* Playmaker with is a Playmaker 4 seems to make sense on 1st line between Sniper 4 & Power Forward 4
Both, really. A one-star guy probably isn't a good choice for the first line unless you have nobody else who's at least two stars.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #5
Sharpie
Minors (Single A)

So being a child of the excel area.... I have my spreadsheet with the attributes and just trying to figure out which attributes equal which roles?

For example: Captaincy = Leadership + Determination for FHM3 stream but FHM3 manual says that Professionalism is used for Leader secondary role.

PKers = CHE + DRD + POS + AGI which can be very different from DEF? Or is it best Two-way Forward or Backchecking forward in the role drop down?

Skater Ratings doesn't have one for Screeners but there is a SCR attribute + BRA mentions screening and BAL does too. So are your standard Net guys heavy in those attributes?

PWF = Shooting Rating + Physical Rating?

See Tons of Questions!!!

Thank you for your assistance with the YouTube/Twitch and the answers to questions!
Old 12-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #6
Sharpie
Minors (Single A)

How optimized is the Assistant Created Lines?

My Top Forward (by stars) is playing 3rd line minutes and Top Defensemen on 2nd Pair?
Old 12-16-2016, 10:57 PM   #7
Sharpie
Minors (Single A)

Best Defensive Forward on Best Defensive Line has a GR of 46.2 and DGR of 39.8???? Is this because of his role? He is Backchecking Forward (4) so does that role not agree with him?
Old 12-17-2016, 05:52 AM   #8
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
So being a child of the excel area.... I have my spreadsheet with the attributes and just trying to figure out which attributes equal which roles?

For example: Captaincy = Leadership + Determination for FHM3 stream but FHM3 manual says that Professionalism is used for Leader secondary role.
It is. But leadership is the most important rating for captains, then determination.

Quote:
PKers = CHE + DRD + POS + AGI which can be very different from DEF? Or is it best Two-way Forward or Backchecking forward in the role drop down?
Really depends on the exact tactic. The best penalty killers for a given PK tactic will generally get the highest number of dots for one of the required tactical roles.

Quote:
Skater Ratings doesn't have one for Screeners but there is a SCR attribute + BRA mentions screening and BAL does too. So are your standard Net guys heavy in those attributes?

PWF = Shooting Rating + Physical Rating?
Strength is important for both as well, and, assuming you want him them to make individual offensive contributions, the various offensive ratings.

Quote:
How optimized is the Assistant Created Lines?

My Top Forward (by stars) is playing 3rd line minutes and Top Defensemen on 2nd Pair?
It primarily considers the individual ratings when setting the lines (within reason, they won't override two or three stars' worth of difference between players.)

Quote:
Best Defensive Forward on Best Defensive Line has a GR of 46.2 and DGR of 39.8???? Is this because of his role? He is Backchecking Forward (4) so does that role not agree with him?
In an individual game, might be just an unlucky night or really good opponent. If the ratings are that low over multiple games, something's definitely going wrong with him. The (4) is pretty high, so I'd be more inclined to look for things like him playing out of position, poor linemates (or teammates in general), or potentially the tactic being wrong in general for the team.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:58 PM   #9
Sharpie
Minors (Single A)

Thank you for the knowledge!

What tactics are the current Penguins speed tactics?
Old 12-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #10
Sharpie
Minors (Single A)

I am thankful for the bountiful gift of FHM3 of this fine Xmas day. Jeff thanks for all the hard work, videos & answers!
Old 12-26-2016, 01:19 PM   #11
Sharpie
Minors (Single A)

I took England as secondary nationality...

How do you scout for the U20 English hockey players???? Since entire empire is .5/.5... I need as much info as possible not to get beat by 10!

I took over Coyotes in GM only. Tippett rhymes with tucks....

Owner won't let me fire but when his contract runs out hiring new coach so do you look at Motivation, Tactics & In-game tactics for traits?

I put a coaching staff together based on each being good at one thing...
Goalie Coach 19 in Goalie
Def Coach 18 in Defense
Off Coach 19 in Offense
Skill Coach 19 in Physical Training
Trainer 19 in Training
Assistant Coach 19 in Discipline & 20 in in-game tactics
Assistant Coach 19 in Prospects
Assistant Coach 20 in Forwards

Does this work to maximize coaching?

Also OOTP & FHM3 really should change trainer to athletic trainer. Having been a member of PBATS (Professional Baseball Athletic Trainers Society) for 20+ years; I would like to see the name change to the correct one. I would also bet the PHATS would like to see you change the name to Athletic Trainer as well.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:22 AM   #12
JeffR
FHM Producer

Ah, it's that low because your primary job is in the NHL, so you see players from that perspective - they all look equally terrible to you. I think we're going to have to add an option to view the players from the national team perspective; hopefully that's not too difficult. Now that I think about it, changing your perspective to another league/level would be a useful thing in general.

Yeah, it would probably make more sense to use "Athletic Trainer", that'd also clear up a little confusion on European teams where the coaching positions are described locally with words with the train- root.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #13
Sharpie
Minors (Single A)

Jeff,

Thank you for the livecast tonight!!

In 5th season as GM only of Coyotes. Got my butt kicked for two season, made playoffs as 8 seed in season 3 and was the #1 seed in West only to get swept in 4th season. Owner goal for season was playoffs, I started the season 20-1-1 and decided to look at his confidence... under 50%???? Since then I have gone 17-5-2 and his confidence is falling. What?!?!?!?!?!

I hired Mike Babcock for season 4 and he seems to be having more success with the talent I have amassed. As GM only is there a way to know what tactical roles he is looking for on each line (or is my Mike ADD with the ever changing roles)? As GM only is there a way to see how each player ranks in all of those different roles so I can figure out who or what I need to acquire?

My #1 Blue Line prospect is not ready for prime time... so I sent him to Tucson... where the coach has not played him in a single game... so I sent him to Rapid City where he can play... but has been a healthy scratch all season.... How do you get the AI to play your prospects so that they can develop?

Draft question: There is the Consensus Ability and my Scouts reported Ability. My scouts consistently rate my players .5 to 1.0 below the Consensus Ability. So do I have poor scouts who are wrong or do I have amazing scouts who are getting it right?

Thank you for any assistance you can give!
Old 01-04-2017, 06:00 PM   #14
Sharpie
Minors (Single A)

Also I fixed the international dilemma but turning down the job every year.

I drafted a player who was in the SHL from England who at 17 should have played for Under 18... Under 20 and National Team but was never selected. My two years of trying he was not even listed as an option for me to take and I know he is a 4.5 star potential player who had an 18 faceoff as a 17 y/o
Old 01-05-2017, 02:33 PM   #15
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Also I fixed the international dilemma but turning down the job every year.

I drafted a player who was in the SHL from England who at 17 should have played for Under 18... Under 20 and National Team but was never selected. My two years of trying he was not even listed as an option for me to take and I know he is a 4.5 star potential player who had an 18 faceoff as a 17 y/o
English nationality only or dual English/Swedish (or dual English/something else)? He may have wanted to play for the other team, particularly if it was a higher-ranked country.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #16
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
I hired Mike Babcock for season 4 and he seems to be having more success with the talent I have amassed. As GM only is there a way to know what tactical roles he is looking for on each line (or is my Mike ADD with the ever changing roles)? As GM only is there a way to see how each player ranks in all of those different roles so I can figure out who or what I need to acquire?
Right now, since you can't change the roles as GM-only, there's not a good way to determine what tactical roles are needed. I think we needed to add a better indicator of that somewhere, probably on the roster screen.

Quote:
My #1 Blue Line prospect is not ready for prime time... so I sent him to Tucson... where the coach has not played him in a single game... so I sent him to Rapid City where he can play... but has been a healthy scratch all season.... How do you get the AI to play your prospects so that they can develop?
That's a little unusual that he's not playing at all. Is his ability rating really low right now? Assuming you don't want to control the farm team directly, the easiest way to force them to play him is to move other defencemen off the team (by sending them to Rapid City) until they only have 6 to choose from and have to take him.

Quote:
Draft question: There is the Consensus Ability and my Scouts reported Ability. My scouts consistently rate my players .5 to 1.0 below the Consensus Ability. So do I have poor scouts who are wrong or do I have amazing scouts who are getting it right?
Could be either, there's a possibility that they could be more wrong than the general consensus. But with NHL-level scouts, it's a lot more likely they're correct.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #17
Sharpie
Minors (Single A)

Straight England... Reading, England