Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Stupid question/s time

This year for Christmas my nephew gave me 2 $20 Steam gift cards. Just wondering what I can expect if I use them to purchase OOTP16? I've seen Steam discussed on here time and again, but I still have no clue what it truly is. Will it be harder to use mods if I purchase on Steam? I've read the game automatically updates on Steam, does this mean I no longer have to sit through the tedious process of downloading the entire game to get a patch? Ugh, I have no clue.

Advice, if you were me(not something I would wish on anyone) would you use the cards to purchase OOTP or maybe use them to try out another game? Sorry for my ignorance.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
This year for Christmas my nephew gave me 2 $20 Steam gift cards. Just wondering what I can expect if I use them to purchase OOTP16? I've seen Steam discussed on here time and again, but I still have no clue what it truly is. Will it be harder to use mods if I purchase on Steam? I've read the game automatically updates on Steam, does this mean I no longer have to sit through the tedious process of downloading the entire game to get a patch? Ugh, I have no clue.

Advice, if you were me(not something I would wish on anyone) would you use the cards to purchase OOTP or maybe use them to try out another game? Sorry for my ignorance.
Do you have other stuff you might want to buy on Steam? I ask this because if you pre-order v16 you get a steam key. Then you get a chance to see how you like the Steam experience. If you play FM save the Steam cards for it.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Do you have other stuff you might want to buy on Steam? I ask this because if you pre-order v16 you get a steam key. Then you get a chance to see how you like the Steam experience. If you play FM save the Steam cards for it.
FM really intrigues me, but I know nothing about soccer. I mean nothing.

Last year when they offered the steam key, I didn't do anything, because I didn't really understand what it was. What does it do? Thanks for helping.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
ignacio66
Bat Boy

Hi David,
can't help you with your gift cards but I'm using Steam for years now. If you use Steam you will have a steam client and you will use your client to install the game on your PC. If there's a patch for the game available, the client will automatically update your installed version to the latest one.
Regarding the mods, it's working the same way like without steam.

Hope it helps
ignacio66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
FM really intrigues me, but I know nothing about soccer. I mean nothing.

Last year when they offered the steam key, I didn't do anything, because I didn't really understand what it was. What does it do? Thanks for helping.
It's analogous to a licence key as you'd get for OOTP though download. The steps are.

Create a steam account.
Download the Steam Client and install it.
Use the steam key to obtain, download and activate OOTP.

Edit:

If you have v15's Steam key you could try now.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 01-23-2015 at 11:18 AM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #6
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Was the Steam Key the same as our OOTP license/serial number? How do you get the game on Steam? I signed up for Steam, but the only option I see available for 15 is to purchase the game.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #7
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I have been using Steam for a long time, but I have no idea what a "Steam key" is. What is it? I checked Steam's help feature, and could find no mention of a Steam key.

** Ah, never mind. Through some Googling, I discovered that you mean "CD-key".

Last edited by Orcin; 01-24-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #8
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Well you can't get 16 on Steam yet as it isn't on there(was just announced after all). If you're looking for a non-sports game though may I recommend Crusader Kings II from Paradox Interactive. One of the best strategy games I've ever played.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #9
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Steam is a platform where you download games. The major advantage is steam auto updates all your games assuming you are on line. So no more downloading patches.

The folder structure where mods goes jerseys, DBs, caps, etc. is the same for both versions but the game files go in a different place.

You also do not have to have steam running to run your game. However, if the game has steam trophies you won't get them if Steam is not running and you are not connected to the internet.

Almost every game I play now is through steam. I have played both 14 and 15 steam versions. The big difference for me was after having to reinstall windows after an upgrade I was able to reinstall steam and once I logged into my account I could download all my games with no need to activate. Once activated on your account you can download the games and play them on a new computer or an old one with a new windows installation after an upgrade.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:07 AM   #10
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Not knowing your game tastes or what you own but another recommendation is Civ V. Another great strategy game. Just saw you can get it and all its DLC for 49.99. You would still have to pay $10 and most the DLC are map packs which are kinda lame, but there are the two expansions that are $29.99 each so it's still cheaper to get it all and a couple DLC pieces have new civs too.

Anyway enough about non-OOTP stuff.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #11
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I second the recommendation for Civilization V. Great strategy game, but there is a learning curve to overcome if you haven't played the previous games in the series. The tutorial does a good job of this, and the in-game advisors will tell you what to do next if you ask.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #12
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

I agree with those that say buy ootp from the ootp store and use the 40 bucks for something else. Civ V is a great suggestion. FM is also great but it takes just as long or longer as ootp to figure out.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is online now   Reply With Quote