Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

A long time ago in a stadium far, far away...

https://www.facebook.com/Tigers/videos/405180770399397/

...we said goodbye to the best of places

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Thankful that I got to three games that summer (no small task living in CT). My brother went in September on a night they let people walk the base paths after the game. He picked up dirt from the infield and gave me this framed set of infield dirt and pictures taken from the field for Christmas in 99.
Attached Images
Old 09-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

I took my oldest to see the ballpark before they left (https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...99909020.shtml) and we saw a darn fine game. My first game there (https://www.baseballreference.com/bo...97307140.shtml) came the day before a Ryan no hitter...

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:35 PM   #4
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I miss that place. I know why they make parks like they do now. But I miss being able to switch to a game and know immediately where the game is based on looking at the stands. I'm sure a trained eye can pick up the diffs now. But there is little distinctive differences in the modern ballparks.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Way back in the day my dad and I were at a game in which Jason Thompson cleared the roof...….thing is, our seats were close to last row of the lower deck between 3B and home plate. We had no idea Thompson cleared the roof until we were driving home and heard about it on the radio. I remember seeing Eddie Murray hit two on the roof during batting practice.

I still love the fact that for the longest time, we never ever purchased tickets in advance when we went to a game. We would make the trek from Saginaw to Detroit(a trip of 100 or so miles that as a kid I swore was 400 miles or more...I wasn't the brightest kid at the state fair) and sit in whatever seats were available. Over the years, I think we sat all over that great park. Always had to have at least two hot dogs. One from the vendor in the stands, a sweaty steam dog and one from the concession stand with the burn marks.

Can't think of a better place on earth to fall in love with baseball.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post

That is awesome! (I did not remember that.) And that he was wearing Norm Cash's number makes it even better.

(The very definition of crushing it...)
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:17 PM   #7
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Some info on Fick... https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...dium/16250243/
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #8
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post

A bit of research reveals that yesterday was the 20th anniversary of the final home game at Tigers Stadium, hence the timing of your post. Said research also shows that the site has been preserved as a ballfield named Corner Ballpark. If it had to come down, at least it hasn't been turned into condos or a shopping center:

Name:  cornerballpark.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  150.8 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
That was one impressive poke by a guy who was essentially a bit player for most of his career. Accomplished with a normal, regulation baseball, too! Today, such a feat is rather commonplace.

Name:  Image0203.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  386.9 KB

Man, baseball is full of such stories. That's one of the reasons why I love this game.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
. . . the site has been preserved as a ballfield named Corner Ballpark. If it had to come down, at least it hasn't been turned into condos or a shopping center.
Well, to clarify, moneyed interests have been served. It's just the field itself that has been preserved. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
On December 16, 2014, a $33 million project by Larson Realty Group to redevelop the old Tiger Stadium site was approved by Detroit's Economic Development Corporation. Development plans included a four-story building along Michigan Avenue with about 30,000 square-feet of retail space and 102 residential property rental units, each averaging 800 square feet. Along Trumbull Avenue, 24 town homes were planned for sale. Detroit's Police Athletic League (PAL) headquarters would relocate to the site and maintain the field. PAL would build its new headquarters and related facilities on the western and northern edges of the site while preserving the historic playing field for youth sports, including high school and college baseball. Construction of the project began in June 2016.

In 2018, the Corner Ballpark opened at the site.
Still, that's not a bad solution, I would say. Subject to whether the PAL allows public access to the field, you can still stand in the spot where Robert Fick and Norm Cash stood.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 09-28-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:08 PM   #10
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, to clarify, moneyed interests have been served. It's just the field itself that has been preserved. From Wikipedia:

Still, that's not a bad solution, I would say. Subject to whether the PAL allows public access to the field, you can still stand in the spot where Robert Fick and Norm Cash stood.
Last time I was home in 2015, there was nothing official there but when we went to the site there was a guy mowing the grass on a riding lawnmower. The infield was there and the Flagpole that was in deepest center still stood. The flagpole had been painted to Yankee Stadium colors for the Billy Crystal movie 61. It was peeling though, so you could see it's history like the rings of a tree. There was a guy there selling hats and t-shirts emblazoned Navin Field Grounds Crew. That's what the guys and girls that took it upon themselves to maintain the site called themselves. Pretty cool. Haven't seen the PAL deal, but hope to some day.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #11
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

The Hamtramck Stadium Grounds Crew is a voluteer group that fought to keep that site alive until 2016 (when they were known as the Navin Field Grounds Crew). Now they have moved on to the former site where the Detroit Stars of the Negro Leagues played.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/HamtownG...=page_internal
Old 09-28-2019, 12:14 PM   #12
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Oops, Mr Watts beat me to the punch mentioning them.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #13
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS View Post
Oops, Mr Watts beat me to the punch mentioning them.
Did you see where Jack White of White Stripes fame is joining the campaign to try to get the Hamtramck Stadium restored? Pretty cool.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:30 PM   #14
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Did you see where Jack White of White Stripes fame is joining the campaign to try to get the Hamtramck Stadium restored? Pretty cool.

Yes! I think he played in a game there too - might have been a vintage baseball game.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #15
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

I love vintage baseball. This is me with the Woodstock Hilltoppers about 5 years back.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by CONN CHRIS; 09-28-2019 at 08:48 PM.
CONN CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:07 AM   #16
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
A bit of research reveals that yesterday was the 20th anniversary of the final home game at Tigers Stadium, hence the timing of your post. Said research also shows that the site has been preserved as a ballfield named Corner Ballpark. If it had to come down, at least it hasn't been turned into condos or a shopping center:

Attachment 649730

That was one impressive poke by a guy who was essentially a bit player for most of his career. Accomplished with a normal, regulation baseball, too! Today, such a feat is rather commonplace.

Attachment 649731

Man, baseball is full of such stories. That's one of the reasons why I love this game.
We live right outside of the city limits. I am really glad that they created a ballpark on the grounds. For as many great memories I had of the place it was really hard to see the dilapidated shell it had become. During the HS season a lot of the local Detroit schools have access to it for games. I pretty sure they have had a few HS football games there as well. I do not know what the field usage cost is but it must be pretty reasonable since they seem to have a lot of games there. For a lot of inner-city kids, playing there will be the nicest and easily most historic place they will ever get to play at....ever. Pretty cool.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote