Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:51 PM   #1
dbl4868
Minors (Single A)

Position Player Fatigue

In MLB Settings for Players there is a setting for Position Player Fatigue. Just want to get clarification on something. If I would choose VERY HIGH for Position Player Fatigue what does that mean exactly? Does it mean that position players easily fatigue and need more days off?
dbl4868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:01 AM   #2
Mat
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbl4868 View Post
Does it mean that position players easily fatigue and need more days off?
Yes.

Personally, I prefer 'high' for modern mlb.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

each step up reduces # of games they can play per increase in fatigue.

made up #s: say at setting "normal" it takes 20games for a CF to reach 'slightly tired', but at "high" fatigue it takes 15games to reach that same point.

not all positions are the same, as you likely know. i also believe catching ability affects # of games before they get fatigued? unlike other positions which will just be about # of games. obviously, pitchers are # of pitches thrown relative to stamina.

you can know all of this stuff down to the %, if you take some notes or have a good memory and pay attention to it over time. if i played with real competition (aka humans, online league) i'd have a little cheat sheet... i do know pitcher stamina well and set my pitch counts to guarantted minimum 96% recovery by next start per stamina -- must be adjusted a bit as players evovle, of course.

i still think it's hilarious that mlb players get 'fatigued' at any position outside of catcher and pitcher, LoL. running for 1-2 balls in the OF is hardly stress for anyone in shape. standing around for the majority of a 3.5hour game is not difficult, lol. they do so little work during an actual game.

if they are getting tired, they need to shag fewer balls during BP or whatever. stretching more would eliminate numerous injuries of simply running to a base, lol... it's just a bunch of out-of-shape people with coordination 1/2 the time, LoL! the ones in good shape don't get tired. the ones that stretch properly don't pull a hamstring just by running out of the batter box. (at least not at such an elevated %)

it's absolutely dumbfounding the rate of injuries in the MLB -- outside of pitching and catchers that have to squat half their life and ruin their knees, hips and ankles.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-16-2019 at 01:05 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:59 PM   #4
jlech1805
Minors (Single A)

Is there a way to edit what level of fatigue is acceptable to be in the lineup?

Ideally, different managers would have different levels.

I've never tried high for fatigue setting, but guessing this might serve my need as I tend to think sans injury starting position players get too many at bats.
jlech1805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:27 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

just through the depth chart and the subs.. or 7-day lineups etc. but, that's not based on %fatigue, nor does it consider included days off, which is frustratingly silly.

the "every 6 days" et al, should be counting up from last day off -- but it does not. so much micro-management if you wnat to be 100% efficient with it.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:22 PM   #6
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I thought every X days was counting the number of games where the opposing starter was of the relevant handedness.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #7
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
I thought every X days was counting the number of games where the opposing starter was of the relevant handedness.
Not sure what it is counting but I've made roster moves, moving a player up from AAA and inserting him as a sub at a position for maybe "every ten days" and often see the AI insert him the first game as a sub. So maybe it simply looks back at the last so many games before making the lineup to see if the sub has played within the selected parameter and if not, inserts him in instead of looking to see if the starter has had a day off within the selected parameter. That simple difference in AI "logic" could make a big difference in the application of using the bench. Not really sure of the "checklist" so to speak that the AI goes through when making the lineup every day and trying to stay true to the "per day" subs that you may have set up in the lineup depth chart screens.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #8
DaBears
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
each step up reduces # of games they can play per increase in fatigue.

made up #s: say at setting "normal" it takes 20games for a CF to reach 'slightly tired', but at "high" fatigue it takes 15games to reach that same point.
Curious if you know this. Do off days reset the clock? It seems obvious they would, but then virtually every non-catcher and pitcher should be able to play almost 160 games each season.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:07 AM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
Curious if you know this. Do off days reset the clock? It seems obvious they would, but then virtually every non-catcher and pitcher should be able to play almost 160 games each season.
they haven't in recent releases. easy to tell by testing it. i haven't loaded ootp in close to month at this point.

and, i'm pretty sure it's not about handedness except for the day of.

i.e. if it's a lefty, it goes by the left depth chart rules. this way you can bat a righty that would normally take a day off and take advantage of the left handed pitcher.

if it's every 6th for both, it'll take the day off every 6th day as you expect.

if it's every 6th for righties and "if tired" for lefties: 6th day vs lefty - plays if not tired, then 7th day vs righty it is >6, so it's a day off.

but, imo it should be counting up from last day off -- whether depth chart related or day off in schedule, and i doubt it has changed, but could be wrong. limited experience on last two releases. i will play XX more, eventually. i pretty much skipped 19 except for 5-10 seasons dinking around.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:54 AM   #10
slugga27
All Star Starter

Position Player Fatigue

Quote:

If by “reset the clock”, you mean reset the player’s energy to 100%, yes and no. It depends on how tired they were to begin with. If you let them play until they hit zero percent, it may take two or maybe even three days to get back to 100 percent.

With all due respect, I don’t see how that equates to virtually all non-catchers and pitchers playing close to 160 games. Depends on your fatigue setting, of course, but that won’t happen on default or higher settings.

Also of note, if you bring in a tired player for a couple innings on defense (or they pinch hit and then play couple innings), that will not count as a day off. Pinch-hitting-only appearances will still count as a day off.

EDIT: re-reading your post, it looks like you are talking about depth charts. If that’s the case, most of what I said won’t apply. But then again...you still won’t have a bunch of guys playing close to 160 games, again depending on fatigue settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by slugga27; 04-20-2019 at 05:56 AM.
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:47 AM   #11
Reed
All Star Starter

I play with normal fatigue. 146 game schedule,p. Teams play 6 to 15 days between off days. Starting catchers start 112-116 games. First basemen 142 to 144 games. Other positions 130 to 136 games.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #12
DaBears
Major Leagues

Sorry, I probably was not clear enough earlier.

I play MGR-only and play out all games. I am typically very cautious about fatigue due to a belief that tired players seem much more injury-prone. Thus, I often sit my catcher as soon as he shows tired at all, certainly under 80-90%, and position players at 75-80% or so. I also tend to take the approach that if my catcher has played 5-6 games in a row I should give him a night off.

Some of the earlier comments in this thread made me wonder if I am being too cautious. Specifically, if you have two days off in a 30-day span (which every team does, usually), is it true that there is simply no reason to sit a position player (excluding catcher)?
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #13
Reed
All Star Starter

The manual says at a certain amount of fatigued, the player will be tired. A tired players performance is decreased and is more likely to be injured.
Hope that helps.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #14
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sorry, I probably was not clear enough earlier.

I play MGR-only and play out all games. I am typically very cautious about fatigue due to a belief that tired players seem much more injury-prone. Thus, I often sit my catcher as soon as he shows tired at all, certainly under 80-90%, and position players at 75-80% or so. I also tend to take the approach that if my catcher has played 5-6 games in a row I should give him a night off.

Some of the earlier comments in this thread made me wonder if I am being too cautious. Specifically, if you have two days off in a 30-day span (which every team does, usually), is it true that there is simply no reason to sit a position player (excluding catcher)?

i wouldn't worry about 'slightly tired.'

however, sometimes resting a catcher a day early will help you get an extra day out of him and take advantage of a scheduled day off. watch and take note of how it recovers and how long before they show fatigue again. for the most part position players recover enough to get through a long stretch after a day off and the next scheduled day off is 'enough'.

sometimes that pre-emptive day off for a ctacher a day before it matters will help you stretch him through the rest of the consecutive days played in near future.

other positions i'd just rest when they show the level of fatigue you want to avoid. unless it's 25-30games in a row and they get tired less than half way through that stretch, i doubt they get meaningfully tired again. since a day off is guaranteed, pick a day that limits fatigue the most. i.e. likely before 'exhaustion' so you don't play tired. a day wil be taken, so do it so it limits how many games played while too tired -- before and after that day off up until next scheduled day off.

the other tidbit to learn is at what point do they recover to 100% and when do they only recover to 90-some or less. key bits of info. with a catcher i'd go even futher -- know when it recovers to 100, 90-ish and if he's completely exhausted, how high he gets to after that. know exactly ho many days that equates to. with this info you can maximize games played at any chosen threshold you like to rest them.

that will help you make decisions with catchers to maximize their use throughout season without killing them. or, maximize killing them, lol. it's a spectrum of your choosing.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-20-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:22 PM   #15
dbl4868
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlech1805 View Post
Is there a way to edit what level of fatigue is acceptable to be in the lineup?

Ideally, different managers would have different levels.

I've never tried high for fatigue setting, but guessing this might serve my need as I tend to think sans injury starting position players get too many at bats.
I believe a high fatigue setting would mean that the position player fatigues quicker, right?
dbl4868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #16
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbl4868 View Post
I believe a high fatigue setting would mean that the position player fatigues quicker, right?

Correct. I have it on high and especially later in the season, regulars will be in need of days off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote