Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #161
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoWar View Post
Chapman needs knee surgery...
Again? I thought that was old news. Perhaps I missed new news.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:49 AM   #162
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
The return address of Colorado on that demeans that achievement significantly.

And shortstops don't bat, right-handed hitters do. Saying a player hit HRs while playing a position is inherently ignorant.
While I appreciate being called ignorant, I was simply pointing out that the numbers don't show a 'flash in the pan' or someone with a short career. I didn't mean to imply anything close to Tulo being the sixth greatest power-hitting shortstop ever if that's how it came off.

Also, not to burst your bubble or anything, but position is taken into account when determining player value. I can understand discounting it if a player only nominally plays a position and is actually awful at it, but Tulo played a good shortstop.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:53 AM   #163
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I think we can agree that Tulowitzki was a very good shortstop, both in the field and at the plate, whose potential was cut short by injury proneness. He could have been great, but he was not for this reason. At least he had the good grace to recognize when it was time to leave the game, unlike another fellow on our roster.

- Bru

Old 08-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #164
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

It is about money -- I try to point this out about Dustin Pedoria of Red Sox he has 3 years to get 12 million plus per season .... Bobby B with Mets gets paid for retirement for many years into future ...... Detroit has their's ......

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:37 PM   #165
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to vent a while. Please avert your eyes if you don't want to share in my venom.

Go to http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/injuries/ and scroll down through all the teams. The Yankees have had the longest list by far, all season long.

I'm getting sick and tired of it.

Part of it are the heifers who are out-of-shape and injure themselves accordingly just by unusual exertion (Sabathia, Stanton, Sanchez, and Voit). Swing too hard? Run a bit too fast trying to beat a throw? Injury!

Part of it are the malingerers (Bird and Ellsbury). Recovering from my most recent injury? Time for another, by golly!

But a few are from pitched balls, like Encarnacion just suffered. I swear to God, if I were Aaron Boone, I'd be ordering retaliation for EVERY time a Yankee batter was hit for the rest of the season. Maybe by next season I would have calmed down.

Still, that list was not up-to-date when I looked at it. Gardner and LeMahieu were back today (and Encarnacion had not been added yet) and there are a few listed as "Possibly August."

Maybe if those guys come back - AND GUYS STOP GETTING INJURED - I will not feel like beaning opposing players in order to even the playing field a bit.

End of rant.

- Bru

Old 08-03-2019, 11:27 PM   #166
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Wow, Chapman looked like his old self tonight, striking out the last guy on a 102 MPH fastball (after walking a guy, though, which brought the tying run to the plate - I wanted to smack him - virtually, of course )

Yankees sweep Red Sox in a doubleheader. Makes me feel better about things. This team is quite remarkable. It keeps winning despite all the injuries. Guys go down, other guys step up. Positively uncanny.

You know what the fallacy of this opener/follower fad is? You have to have a great bullpen from one end of it to the other. You cannot have guys pitch for only an inning or two all game because you are bound to run into the bums who will throw away the game.

Like these two:

Name:  Image0007.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  57.4 KB

And that's without even touching Holder or Tarpley! Imagine how the game would have turned out if one or both of those guys were called on!

For crying out loud, as I'm typing this, they're talking on the postgame show about Aaron Hicks maybe going down with an injury. Threw too hard from CF to 3B, poor fellow.

Jeez, I'm going back to my OOTPB where I can (and have) set the Injuries to "Low." This is just garbage and frankly, I don't remember this prevalence of injuries in baseball years ago. Now it's like a goddamned revolving door around here.

- Bru

Old 08-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #167
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I could start a separate thread about this but I don't want to debate. Last night:

The Yankees . . . hit five home runs to enter the record books. Mike Tauchman had two and Mike Ford, Austin Romine and Brett Gardner each hit one, giving the Yankees 32 in eight games at Camden Yards. That’s the most homers hit in a single season by a visiting team in any stadium, breaking the mark of 29 set by the Milwaukee Braves at Cincinnati’s Crosley Field in 1957.

There's too much of this nonsense going on. Some idiot or bunch of idiots in MLB decided to "juice up the game" by tinkering with the baseballs. Not only are there too many home runs, embarassingly so, but too many by guys named Tauchman, Ford, Romine, and Gardner.

It sounds silly, I know, but in this thread, I occasionally mention my OOTPB league as consolation for the stupidity I see in modern professional baseball. I am thinking of it now.

- Bru

Old 08-06-2019, 08:53 AM   #168
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

to be fair, Ford has always had power. The other 3, I completely agree with. I enjoy home runs, but 3 true outcomes baseball isn't very exciting.
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:16 PM   #169
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I was wondering about Joe Girardi, what he was doing these days, and I ran across this article:

Girardi excited for 2nd shot at Olympic dreams - World Series-winning skipper will lead Team USA at qualifying tournament

This is a qualifying tournament for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo. If all goes well, he could be the manager of the U.S. team in those games and perhaps the 2021 World Baseball Classic.

He is working; he's with the MLB Network, which I don't get, hence my wondering.

Here's to Joe - I'm happy for him.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 08-07-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:12 AM   #170
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

As much as it seems players are dropping like flies on the Yankees they still manage to hold it together and impress. It seems when someone goes down another steps up. I think if I filled in even I could look good for a couple of games.

That said the starting rotation is in poor shape. It is not that the talent isn't because it is, just not performing well. If the hitting coach gets an mvp then the pitching coach gets the boot in this one. Happ and Paxton should all be pitching better. I think Tanaka is about where I expect him to be. German is the staff ace at this point and could be twenty game winner and still not get a start in the playoffs. The idea of using Severino a=out of the bullpen doesn't sound good to me. I rather have Severino starting. I wish we did pick up a starter at the deadline but I did not want to overpay for one either.

The thing is now the Yankees need to get healthy and I have no idea what a mostly healthy team would look like. I feel like there would be some drop off because some players would be in the lineup by reputation more than current output. What makes the lineup so dangerous is the different looks you get with some contact, on-base, power hitters all mixed together. If you load up with Stanton, Sanchez, Judge, Voit, that could potentially leave some nights of the offense getting shut down.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #171
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Interesting tabulation of what the Yankees have done to Baltimore pitching this season:

https://deadspin.com/john-sterling-m...ped-1837059635

This is 1920's level of domination, similar to Babe Ruth hitting more HRs than than half the teams. I find the fact 17 different Yankees have homered against Baltimore while 14 MLB teams haven't even had 17 different payers homer at all, to be fascinating.

Side note to the old record against the 1956 KC A;s. That was the only team Fat Boy Tommy Lasorda ever pitched for.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:56 PM   #172
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
As much as it seems players are dropping like flies on the Yankees they still manage to hold it together and impress. It seems when someone goes down another steps up. I think if I filled in even I could look good for a couple of games.

That said the starting rotation is in poor shape. It is not that the talent isn't because it is, just not performing well. If the hitting coach gets an mvp then the pitching coach gets the boot in this one. Happ and Paxton should all be pitching better. I think Tanaka is about where I expect him to be. German is the staff ace at this point and could be twenty game winner and still not get a start in the playoffs. The idea of using Severino a=out of the bullpen doesn't sound good to me. I rather have Severino starting. I wish we did pick up a starter at the deadline but I did not want to overpay for one either.

The thing is now the Yankees need to get healthy and I have no idea what a mostly healthy team would look like. I feel like there would be some drop off because some players would be in the lineup by reputation more than current output. What makes the lineup so dangerous is the different looks you get with some contact, on-base, power hitters all mixed together. If you load up with Stanton, Sanchez, Judge, Voit, that could potentially leave some nights of the offense getting shut down.
What will gum up the works when Severino returns is this opener/follower idea. They are in love with it and you will see them using it more often (what are they now, 11-0 when using an opener?). I bet Severino gets worked into that module somehow so that we don't have to depend as much on Happ, Paxton, and Tanaka going 5+ innings.

What may gum up the works, too, is having a bunch of guys come off the IL and not be up to par due to rust. If they tank, it will be at the worst time, going into the playoffs.

One thing is for sure, though: Aaron Boone for Manager of the Year.

Quote:
Interesting tabulation of what the Yankees have done to Baltimore pitching this season:

https://deadspin.com/john-sterling-m...ped-1837059635

This is 1920's level of domination, similar to Babe Ruth hitting more HRs than than half the teams. I find the fact 17 different Yankees have homered against Baltimore while 14 MLB teams haven't even had 17 different payers homer at all, to be fascinating.

Side note to the old record against the 1956 KC A;s. That was the only team Fat Boy Tommy Lasorda ever pitched for.
I'd revel in this if it were not for the fact that much of it is due to the juiced-up baseball that I mentioned earlier. That sort of thing upsets me, just like the Steroid Era did. I cannot appreciate records set under such circumstances.

But yes, it is almost embarrassing and it would have happened anyway versus a bad team like the Orioles, juiced-up ball or not. Poor Baltimore; they sure are taking it on the chin these days. I almost feel sorry for the city, but then I remember Super Bowl XXXV.

"Fat Boy" Tommy Lasorda? Well, given your forum name, you must have your own baggage of ancient animosities.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 08-08-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #173
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

I think the home run numbers are down to more than just the baseball. One stat that stood out to me was...

'The Yankees’ 43 homers at Camden Yards this season is more than the Giants or Tigers have in their home ballparks.'

This article seems to suggest the ball may be one factor, but analytics in batting techniques is (potentially) the bigger reason https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/06/12/ho...tats-fly-balls

Either way, wouldn't want to be the Orioles this season
Old 08-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #174
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketsAintFull View Post
Yes, because this is what happens:

Frustrations boil over in dugout as O's swept

I don't know how Hyde is as a manager but I would tend to advise Davis to hunker down and lay low, considering how he's done the last couple of years and how much money he makes. He is the poster boy of Oriole futility.

- Bru

Old 08-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #175
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Yes, because this is what happens:

Frustrations boil over in dugout as O's swept

I don't know how Hyde is as a manager but I would tend to advise Davis to hunker down and lay low, considering how he's done the last couple of years and how much money he makes. He is the poster boy of Oriole futility.
Wow, yeah. Maybe that’s what the coach said to him
Old 08-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #176
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketsAintFull View Post
I think the home run numbers are down to more than just the baseball. One stat that stood out to me was...

'The Yankees’ 43 homers at Camden Yards this season is more than the Giants or Tigers have in their home ballparks.'

This article seems to suggest the ball may be one factor, but analytics in batting techniques is (potentially) the bigger reason https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/06/12/ho...tats-fly-balls

Actually, I thought that was more the math of the schedule. If those games had happened in September, the Giants and Tigers would be above those numbers and no point would have been made.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:15 PM   #177
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Quote:
Actually, I thought that was more the math of the schedule. If those games had happened in September, the Giants and Tigers would be above those numbers and no point would have been made.
Possibly yeah. It's still quite a stat for the Yankees to be that close against one team.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:28 PM   #178
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Gio Urshela hit a 461-foot home run today. Gio is a good ballplayer but to look at him, you would not think that he could hit a ball that far. Better to look at the baseball. I'm happy for him but my gosh, what foolishness.

- Bru

Old 08-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #179
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

I want to thank all Cubs fans for giving the Yanks Gleyber Torres in return for 15 minutes of Aroldis Chapman.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:43 AM   #180
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I want to thank all Cubs fans for giving the Yanks Gleyber Torres in return for 15 minutes of Aroldis Chapman.
People used to dump on the Yankees for buying their pennants but this has not been true in recent years. Instead, it's been about deals like this and growing their own talent more than acquiring free agents.

- Bru