Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:40 PM   #141
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
EDIT 5: I believe I heard on the radio just now that Frazier has indeed been sent down and that he is very upset, again. On one hand, I don't blame him; it must be tough considering what has happened to him and that he was doing well at the plate. But, he's upset . . . again. Each time that he does get upset, it makes it easier to send him down in my book. Also, his sulking and ducking the media after a butcher job in the field the other day didn't help. I think the Yankees should be looking to trade him now.
This is what I was talking about, the attitude, which is not helping Frazier. This is what happens to a guy with attitude and unproven skills:

Name:  Image0102.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  408.0 KB

The guy has a decent bat but a brick for a glove. Trade him for a pitcher.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 06-26-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:45 AM   #142
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmenSmith View Post
Yeah I couldn't believe when I got the notice. Dead salary on the team that could be used better elsewhere. Future DH
If you have a chance, and it's still available, go to this page:

Yanks 'really looking forward to' London Series

and look for the video "Boone's update on Stanton." Take a look at what caused this injury.

In case the page or the video are no longer available, I took some screenshots of it:

Name:  a.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  86.6 KB
Name:  b.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  88.3 KB
Name:  c.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  85.1 KB
Name:  e.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  91.0 KB
Name:  f.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  142.6 KB

Pitcher Richard, covering 3B, came down on Stanton's head at the end of the play but that was not an issue. Where this happened, "a PCL sprain of his right knee," is shown in the second screenshot where Stanton landed on that knee, beginning his head-long slide.

[RANT FOLLOWS]

First of all, little leaguers are told to slide on their rumps because diving head-first is likely to lead to injury and doesn't get them there any faster.

Second of all, you mean to tell me that this overpaid, ill-trained guy is so out of shape that a maneuver like this, a simple impact of knee on earth in a sliding motion, is going to blow out his PCL? Where is the conditioning coach? I'd like a word with him.

It's sad, really. Lately I've been reduced to following games on radio and MLB gameday because I have cut cable TV and I don't want to pay MLB.tv for only half of Yankee games (the other half being blacked out). Money is the reason.

Following baseball costs a lot of money these days and I hate to see it wasted on coddled rich bozos like this guy. Yes, I said I wouldn't dump on him yet but that was before I saw this video. Right now, I'm looking at him with the same jaundiced eye as Mets fans view Cespedes.

[END OF RANT]

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 06-27-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:15 PM   #143
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Just for perspective, that was 50 runs scored in two games! Somebody needs to check the ballpark factors of London Stadium.

- Bru

Old 07-06-2019, 12:08 PM   #144
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I was just thinking; I liked Joe Girardi and I was skeptical about how he was dumped and the managerial greenness of Aaron Boone, but I have come to fully accept Boone. I think he has done and continues to do a great job. That's not just about the W-L record. It's about holding the team together through that mess of injuries early in the season, the decisions that he has made on- and off-field, the low key, relaxed approach that he has to doing his job. Boone will do.

- Bru

Old 07-15-2019, 12:39 AM   #145
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

It's funny how things work out sometimes. Well, "funny" may not be the right word. "Karma" perhaps?

In that, if this headline were not true, then the Yankees would not be in first place today. That is, if the Yankees were meant to be in first place, this would have had to happen:

Unheralded to indispensable: Gio's Yank journey

Miguel Andujar is going to have a hell of a time getting back his starting 3B job from Gio Urshela.

- Bru

Old 07-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #146
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

I watch ...Clint Frazier - Greg Bird - both should be viewed as trading blocks . Small market teams could use their controllability . Cleveland , Seattle, Arizona, Miami, etc. would be good destinations. The Mets or Detroit may even be an option . But I am not aware of what pitchers are available and you want to get talent for the talent offered .

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #147
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoWar View Post
I watch ...Clint Frazier - Greg Bird - both should be viewed as trading blocks . Small market teams could use their controllability . Cleveland , Seattle, Arizona, Miami, etc. would be good destinations. The Mets or Detroit may even be an option . But I am not aware of what pitchers are available and you want to get talent for the talent offered .
I wouldn't mind seeing those guys sent packing in return for a quality pitcher but I don't think they'd be enough by themselves to get one. Frazier is unproven, ham-handed in the field, and has an attitude. Bird is like an emu in that he cannot get off the ground but unlike an emu in that the bird can run while Bird is likely to hurt himself again if he tried.

That means somebody or somebodies else would have to be thrown into the deal. I was just thinking that Severino and Betances are due back in August but who knows how effective they will be upon returning. Meanwhile, somebody else goes down, and we're sunk.

No, you cannot have too much quality pitching. Throw the red-head and the flightless one in there, sure, but who else? Who else? (Don't get excited - it's just a thought - but Miguel Andujar might be very valuable bait.)

- Bru

Old 07-24-2019, 01:18 AM   #148
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

If you can catch this game on YES in a replay tomorrow morning, go for it. What a game. Talk about ups and downs, talk about resilience. The Yankees pulled this one out against a very tough Twins team. If nothing else, look for a replay of the catch that Hicks made to end the game.
Attached Images

- Bru

Old 07-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #149
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
If nothing else, look for a replay of the catch that Hicks made to end the game.
I mean, this:

https://www.mlb.com/video/max-kepler...er-aaron-hicks

Watch the arc on the ball, or should I say veer? In other words, it was a tough catch in the first place but the ball was also sheering away from Hicks. What a clutch catch. The Twins were about to win the game 15-14 on a bases clearing double but defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory.

That was one of the most memorable Yankee games that I have ever watched, and that's saying something if only in terms of how many I have watched over the years.

- Bru

Old 07-25-2019, 09:31 PM   #150
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I guess if I were a Rockies fan, I would feel sad about Troy Tulowitzki retiring today. As it is, I can feel only respect for him for taking the initiative and resolving the situation rather than dragging things out.

- Bru

Old 07-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #151
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

I never understood why they signed him in the first place. He was a pure "flash in the pan" player who was over and done with before most fans noticed him. Always difficult to get a bead on a west coast player, particularly when they don't have a long career and don't amount to much when they come East (Toronto).
Old 07-26-2019, 04:18 PM   #152
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

One of the most realistic aspects of OOTPB is the prevalence of injuries and the tag on some players as being "injury prone," thus preventing those players from ever achieving their potential. Tulowitzki wore this tag in real life.

- Bru

Old 07-26-2019, 10:39 PM   #153
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Yep, this picture sums it up about the Yankees' starting pitching these days. Like deer in headlights.
Attached Images

- Bru

Old 07-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #154
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
I never understood why they signed him in the first place. He was a pure "flash in the pan" player who was over and done with before most fans noticed him. Always difficult to get a bead on a west coast player, particularly when they don't have a long career and don't amount to much when they come East (Toronto).
6th all time in home runs as a shortstop says hello.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:56 AM   #155
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Headline: "Yankees GM Brian Cashman: Prices are still too high for starter or reliever"

Example: When the Yankees inquired about Tigers lefthander Matthew Boyd a couple of weeks ago, Detroit asked for Gleyber Torres.

Boyd, career: 28-43, 4.85.

Sure, the W/L record is largely from pitching for some bad Tigers teams in recent years but the ERA is his alone.

It's tough for GM's to decide and as an OOTPB GM, I sympathize. I should call Brian to commiserate. When I do, I will advise him to stay the course; i.e., don't give up a major talent like Torres for a run-of-the mill pitcher like Boyd who will probably end up like another Happ or Paxton (at least the current versions of those two pitchers).

- Bru

Old 07-31-2019, 04:15 PM   #156
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Sure enough, no significant deals by today's deadline. A Single-A pitcher for another minor leaguer, that's it.

I can't say that I disagree, however. I'm not using the "C" word (collusion) but it seems that the front running Yankees were up against prices that other teams were not asked. Maybe it's a result of the amount of talent that the Yankees have on their roster right now.

So, we go ahead with what we have and hope for the best. Having Severino and Betances back and effective would be a good start. According to the MLB IL, Loaisiga and Montgomery are also due back in August.

This may not be as bad as you think.

- Bru

Old 07-31-2019, 04:35 PM   #157
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
6th all time in home runs as a shortstop says hello.
The return address of Colorado on that demeans that achievement significantly.

And shortstops don't bat, right-handed hitters do. Saying a player hit HRs while playing a position is inherently ignorant.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:16 PM   #158
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Once Bauer was gone I figured there wasn't much left for them to do. He was the only one that I believe would have helped the yanks. I would have thought the indians would rather have Clint over Puig. Not sure what happened there.

I don't feel as though Minor/Ray would have done well in the pressure in New York. As for Greinke, yeah we already know he can't handle the pressure, hence his no trade list.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:36 PM   #159
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmenSmith View Post
Once Bauer was gone I figured there wasn't much left for them to do. He was the only one that I believe would have helped the yanks. I would have thought the indians would rather have Clint over Puig. Not sure what happened there.

I don't feel as though Minor/Ray would have done well in the pressure in New York. As for Greinke, yeah we already know he can't handle the pressure, hence his no trade list.
Yes, all in all, it wasn't in the cards. I don't want to give up guys like Torres and the ones I would give up, well, there are reasons which everybody can see for themselves. For example, Frazier's trade value went into the dumpster with his crappy glove and attitude.

On another topic, it is painful watching Chapman struggle these days. He is definitely not dominant and the problem is that he is having problems throwing hard strikes. So I think he's letting up and getting hammered in between the walks he's giving up. Got to get him untracked, or else!

- Bru

Old 08-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #160
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

Chapman needs knee surgery .... you can't pitch thinking about your landing

Same problem for C.C. .... Happ is the player I worry about stepping up .

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote