Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:11 AM   #1
lukestephens2293
Minors (Triple A)

Minor League Prospects

when is the best time to promote a high potential player onto the major league roster
lukestephens2293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukestephens2293 View Post
when is the best time to promote a high potential player onto the major league roster
That's one of the great mysteries of baseball and no one has the answer.

You promote the guy when you feel he's ready to contribute. That can be any time. There are no hard and fast rules. Don't be surprised if he struggles and you have to send him down more than once. That's normal. It's actually rare that a guy up from AAA never gets sent back down at least once.

Use your best judgement. That's the only answer.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i expect them to be competent at their jobs... sometimes they are a bit more seasoned, sometimes they aren't.

alot of that will be opinion and preference.. as far as the exact moment for any particular player to join your club. what you can be fairly certain of is their expected performance (*normal scouting accuracy and higher, possibly lower?).

with 100% accurate ratings, you can be extremely confident about an expected range of results, and if they are improving throghout the season, they are only going to improve their probability to perform better. in a video game, we can be certain of things that we are not certain of in real life - namely current talent. since we can know the probability of success, we can nearly ignore results... (various combinations or ratings may create more or less synergy than others are possible i would guess, but few anomalies)

any time you believe the scout ratings to be accurate, stick with them regardless of results. only when you believe them to be false should you adjust what you are doing. just because "5" has shown up 7 of 15 times at a particular roulette table does not mean "5" is more likely to show up than at any other time in the history of roulette as it is in its current form - ever.

i play with normal scouting and i can attest that at this level of accuracy, ratings are still supreme in predicting results. they can be wrong, but not often in a significant way. only a large enough sample can prove them to be wrong with confidence. don't let the first few months of a career force a decision unless it's incredibly obvious something is wrong.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:43 PM   #4
battists
Hall Of Famer

I think a lot of this depends on your team as well. If you think that the player you want to bring up is going to be better than the player you currently have on the roster, then you can move sooner rather than later. But if you have someone in the majors who is blocking him, that factors into it as well.

Rushing a player to the majors not only risks being too soon, but it also starts the clock towards his free agency and the loss of your control over him. So generally speaking, most teams err on the side of caution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
I think a lot of this depends on your team as well.
It also depends on whether or not you're a contender. Teams out of the race can afford let a young player struggle and develop, a contending team needs someone who can help them win right now. A guy who was called up can do either, but if you're a contending team you don't have the luxury of giving a kid time to find his way in the majors if he's struggling.