Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:12 PM   #1
BrendenSox12
Bat Boy

President of Baseball Operations not on correct teams

I know that OOTP only supports the GM and scouting director front office positions, but in some organizations the president is the main decision maker, not the GM. In OOTP Theo Epstein, Andrew Friedman, John Hart, Billy Beane, Dave Dombrowski, Mark Shapiro, Chris Antonetti, etc. all are not on their correct teams. Because these executives don't have the GM title they aren't even empolyed by the team in the game, even if they are the main cog in the day-to-day operations.
What do you think is the best solution to this dilemma?
BrendenSox12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:51 PM   #2
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendenSox12 View Post
I know that OOTP only supports the GM and scouting director front office positions, but in some organizations the president is the main decision maker, not the GM. In OOTP Theo Epstein, Andrew Friedman, John Hart, Billy Beane, Dave Dombrowski, Mark Shapiro, Chris Antonetti, etc. all are not on their correct teams. Because these executives don't have the GM title they aren't even empolyed by the team in the game, even if they are the main cog in the day-to-day operations.
What do you think is the best solution to this dilemma?
Last year we added these guys as GM's and the GM's as scouting director. Not sure why that changed. Maybe haveband will comment here and let you know.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:13 PM   #3
kq76
Global Moderator

It *might* be time to add another position in the game above GM because it is true that more and more in real life we're seeing a guy above the GM, but below the owner. Yes, there might not be any job to really assign them in the game, but they're so well-known in MLB that it looks odd when they're not there. Besides, a lot of them transition between executive positions. Or better yet, don't give them a title, but somehow say they're employed by the teams because, like with the Dodgers, some teams have a number of guys who could be GMs for other teams in the future.

Somewhat related, when I looked at the owners I had to question the choice of Alan Horn as the "owner" of the Jays. He might be the chairman of the parent company, but Edward Rogers sure seems like the owner to me. He's not only the chairman of the Jays, but I believe he's also the majority shareholder of Rogers and I think major shareholder is closer to owner than chairman. I wonder if more teams have owners like this.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:14 PM   #4
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
It *might* be time to add another position in the game above GM because it is true that more and more in real life we're seeing a guy above the GM, but below the owner. Yes, there might not be any job to really assign them in the game, but they're so well-known in MLB that it looks odd when they're not there. Besides, a lot of them transition between executive positions. Or better yet, don't give them a title, but somehow say they're employed by the teams because, like with the Dodgers, some teams have a number of guys who could be GMs for other teams in the future.
Totally agree. We just need to convince Markus somehow!
Old 03-18-2016, 11:44 PM   #5
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Yea they need to have a function. Football Manager does a good job with adding these types and giving them a job with its delegating. Everyone outside of owner and chairman has a role (well technically those guys have a role in the game as they are the board)
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:16 AM   #6
Elf Marine
Minors (Single A)

I have never used it but couldn't you go into commissioner mode and rename the GMs or create GMs with the right name to replace the GMs in there. Makes more sense to do that for the relatively few that have a problem with it. Makes a lot more sense than changing programming for everyone.
Elf Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:28 AM   #7
BrendenSox12
Bat Boy

Bur how would you program the game to know who the real decision maker is? While many organizations do have their "main man" above the GM. Many other teams still use just the GM format to make their decisions. How would you program the game if their was a president of baseball ops. and a GM for every team, even if that structure isn't true for every organization?
Old 03-19-2016, 08:32 AM   #8
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Last year we added these guys as GM's and the GM's as scouting director. Not sure why that changed. Maybe haveband will comment here and let you know.
We should do this agai. Please let Howard know.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:33 AM   #9
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
We should do this agai. Please let Howard know.
No problem!
Old 03-19-2016, 08:47 AM   #10
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

We'll likely get those team presidents in the game at some point (maybe OOTP18). Most likely, their purpose will be more like what the "meddling" owners do now - they essentially will have more and more controls over the team, and if you were GM for a team with one, the team president would be the one you report to, not the owner.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #11
BrendenSox12
Bat Boy

Ootp18

I know it is a year later, but the same dilemma has appeared again in this edition of the game. Theo Epstein, Billy Beane, Chris Antonetti, Andrew Friedman, etc. all out of a job.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #12
vigilante225
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendenSox12 View Post
I know it is a year later, but the same dilemma has appeared again in this edition of the game. Theo Epstein, Billy Beane, Chris Antonetti, Andrew Friedman, etc. all out of a job.
Came here to post the same thing - maybe you should post a new thread in OOTP 18 to make it more likely to be seen?
vigilante225 is offline   Reply With Quote