Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #101
jeffself
Bat Boy

Longtime Diamond Mind Baseball user

I started playing computer baseball games back in 1985 when I was a senior in high school. I played Major League Manager for a couple of years before finding Earl Weaver Baseball 1.5. I absolutely loved it! Then they released Earl Weaver Baseball 2.0 and I discovered how awful Electronic Arts could be. The game was terrible. So I spent the next couple of years looking for a new game. I tried the Strat-O-Matic computer game but didn't like it. I then tried Pursue the Pennant and it became my favorite game. Very accurate!

Sometime around 1993 I gave APBA Baseball for Windows a chance. Wow! The graphics were amazing! And listening to Ernie Harwell call games was incredible. But the game play itself wasn't that good. So I stuck with Pursue the Pennant and its name change to Diamond Mind Baseball.

Anyway, I started to hear about OOTP and finally decided to give OOTP 15 a try. I was blown away by the design of the game. But I just didn't have time to stick with it. So then I tried OOTP 16 and gave it a real chance. Very cool! But in the end, I don't care about the GM aspects. I just want to play replay a real season or create my own leagues with major league players. Or have two superstars switch teams and have a 'What If?' scenario.

So, while OOTP is an incredible game, it's not the type of computer baseball game that I'm interested in. I would love to see OOTP's game design to be put on top of Diamond Mind's engine. That would be the perfect game for me. I would love OOTP to have a stripped down version of their game.
jeffself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #102
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

I used to play tons of Strat-O-Matic, and I'd glue the player baseball cards on the back of the Strat cards.

Obviously I am not a collector.
Hammercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:24 AM   #103
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffself View Post
I just want to play replay a real season or create my own leagues with major league players. Or have two superstars switch teams and have a 'What If?' scenario.
For what it's worth, you can do these things in OOTP if you so desire

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #104
vulcan4
Major Leagues

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
Funny thing is in baseball Mogul I don't know how they get their numbers but on their website it says that is the number one selling PC baseball game. Can't imagine why or how.
With Absolute Respect to All of the other baseball sim developers, I have to
COMPLETELY and TOTALLY Agree.

In MY Opinion - OOTP Baseball is Bar-None THEE BEST Sports Sim of ANY Platform (I haven't played any other OOTP games except TBCB, which is also awesome, but no longer with OOTP). I CAN NOT WAIT for their 'American Football' sim (Beyond the Sideline Football) to be released. OOTP has no idea the 'goldmine' they are sitting on with that game.
Well, then again....maybe they do...
vulcan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #105
USF
All Star Starter

One thing strat has over the others is the ability to follow through a play on why it happens for the most part without the "hidden engine" factor.

OOTP offers the best value for your money and by far the most enjoyment of any baseball sim game out there. And imho is under priced for the value you get as a consumer of such product. It easily should be 2x the price.

USF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #106
pablo666
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Lance Haffner ftw!!!

Takes me back to my Apple IIc days
pablo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #107
daves
Hall Of Famer

Baseball Mogul - Quick and easy. Does not have all the features as OOTP but is very quick to setup and play. You can start the 1977 with the expansion draft for the Blue or Mariners. The Baseball Mogul online game that died in 2009 was very popular.

Action PC Baseball - Best game for draft leagues, online playoff leagues and individual game text play. But not a multi season game.

OOTP has everything to run a baseball team in real life. The addition of exhibition mode was great for historical tournaments. You can almost create any game you want. FaceGen is amazing! Definitely the cream of the crop especially after comparing the price. The downside, it is not made for the casual player with little free time. Common users have thousands of hours of time to play according to a recent poll. Features can be too demanding. More of a stand alone game rather than head to head. Expansion draft not easy like mogul, internet games not as easy as Action PC.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #108
Dr. Strangelove
Minors (Double A)

I wonder, is there any reason whatsoever, or in other words, any thing that Baseball Mogul does better than OOTP? Looked at it on Steam a couple of times and it looks hideous.

EDIT: Sorry for digging up an old thread.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 08-30-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:15 PM   #109
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
I wonder, is there any reason whatsoever, or in other words, any thing that Baseball Mogul does better than OOTP? Looked at it on Steam a couple of times and it looks hideous.

EDIT: Sorry for digging up an old thread.
OOTP is the cream of the crop with so much more to offer, but mogul is quick and easy for those with less free time. To answer your question, the one thing better, expansion draft. 2nd - Defense ratings for every position and player defense position aging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by daves; 08-30-2017 at 09:29 PM.
daves is offline   Reply With Quote