Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Schedules

OOTP Mods - Schedules Create your very own game schedules, or share historical schedules

Old 06-25-2023, 04:53 PM   #1
Dutch Alexander
All Star Reserve

Schedules and Spring Training/Postseason

I stumbled upon this entry in the OOTP manual:

Quote:
OOTP schedules generally only have the regular season specifically defined. Even if that is the case, OOTP will automatically handle spring training and postseason scheduling. However, if you wish, you can also build spring training and a postseason schedule into your custom schedule file.
I did not know this was possible. Unfortunately the manual does not explain how to do this (unless I missed it). Does anyone know how to include spring training and playoff games in the schedule file?
Dutch Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 10:29 PM   #2
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alexander View Post
I stumbled upon this entry in the OOTP manual:

I did not know this was possible. Unfortunately the manual does not explain how to do this (unless I missed it). Does anyone know how to include spring training and playoff games in the schedule file?
I don't think it is actually possible. I suspect it was something planned but not actually implemented.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 12:15 AM   #3
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

First, a caveat: I haven't tried any of the things that I'm going to suggest. Theoretically, what follows should work, but I make no guarantees.

OK, according to the manual, you can add a "type" attribute to games in your schedule file that will distinguish between pre-season, regular season, all-star, and exhibition games. Per the manual:
type - The type of game. (0=Regular Season, 1=Exhibition, 2=Spring Training, 3=Playoffs, 4=All-Star Game) For example, type="0" would mean a regular season game. The type attribute is optional, and if it is not included, the game is assumed to be a regular season game.
I've seen a few schedule files that have the all-star game identified, but it's rare, and most schedules don't include game type at all.

So, in the schedule file, you will usually see something like this:
<GAME day="1" time="1905" away="5" home="1" />
To make that a spring-training game, then, you would change it to this:
<GAME day="1" time="1905" away="5" home="1" type="2" />
Of course, if you're making a schedule from scratch, then just add the "type" element to the lines that aren't regular-season games.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 02:17 AM   #4
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

From what I recall, the 'type' function is not used even if it is present in the schedule file.
Old 06-29-2023, 04:24 AM   #5
Dutch Alexander
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
From what I recall, the 'type' function is not used even if it is present in the schedule file.
I believe so to. When you export a schedule at the end of the season the ST and playoff games are included and have the "type" designation. But when you try to upload a schedule file with ST and playoff games included it doesn't work. Tried this in the past and if I recall correctly I got an error message when trying to load the file.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:45 AM   #6
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I believe so to. When you export a schedule at the end of the season the ST and playoff games are included and have the "type" designation. But when you try to upload a schedule file with ST and playoff games included it doesn't work. Tried this in the past and if I recall correctly I got an error message when trying to load the file.
Nope, schedules import and work as designed. I tried this out adding some spring training games to an existing schedule using the type="2" element and it worked just fine.

<GAME day="1" time="1005" away="9" home="10" type="2" />
<GAME day="1" time="1405" away="7" home="4" type="2" />
<GAME day="1" time="1405" away="3" home="1" type="2" />
<GAME day="1" time="1005" away="11" home="12" type="2" />

Et voila!

Name:  spring training 1880 3.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  58.3 KB

HOWEVER...

That only works for spring-training and exhibition games, where you know which teams are playing. I don't know how to format all-star and playoff games in the schedule file. There needs to be a home and away team identified for each game, but the teams in the all-star game aren't among the numbered teams in the league - they're just the all stars. And you don't know which teams are going to be in the playoffs when you devise a schedule, so you can't really plug team numbers into the playoff games*

So, without some guidance from the development team, I can't really help you with scheduling all-star and playoff games. Spring-training and exhibition games, however, are working as designed and shouldn't be any trouble at all.

* Well, you can. Then you could change the team designations in the in-game schedule editor when you get to the post-season, but that's a hassle and it would be disastrous if you forgot to do that once the post-season starts.

EDIT: I don't know what happened when you exported and then tried to re-import a schedule file. It's possible that schedules that include spring-training games aren't compatible with leagues that set spring training automatically. There are so many reasons for getting a "wrong format" error message that I'd need to see the file to get a better idea of what went wrong.

Last edited by joefromchicago; 06-29-2023 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-29-2023, 12:15 PM   #7
Dutch Alexander
All Star Reserve

When I tried it I used day="1" for opening day and day="-xx" for ST. So all ST game days have negative numbers since they appear before opening day. These negative numbers also appear when you export an existing schedule file with ST games. Either these negative numbers were the issue or maybe or it was the fact that ST was selected in the league options.

I see you used day="1" fot the first ST game. I guess to make this work you also have to set opening day on the day ST starts? I wonder if changing the opening day date leads to other issues.
Old 06-29-2023, 01:42 PM   #8
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When I tried it I used day="1" for opening day and day="-xx" for ST. So all ST game days have negative numbers since they appear before opening day. These negative numbers also appear when you export an existing schedule file with ST games. Either these negative numbers were the issue or maybe or it was the fact that ST was selected in the league options.

I see you used day="1" fot the first ST game. I guess to make this work you also have to set opening day on the day ST starts? I wonder if changing the opening day date leads to other issues.
Strange. I never knew that an exported schedule would show negative game-day numbers for spring-training games. Yeah, I think that would confuse OOTP if you tried to import a schedule with "negative days."

I modified a "historical" schedule for 1880 that is in the OOTP schedule folder. It starts on day 18 (I have no idea why), so it was easy to insert some spring-training games on day 1. It's clear, then, that you don't even have to start the season on day 1 - you can start it on any day that you choose. It's just that, if you start a season on day 18, the first game will be 18 days after the start date that's indicated in the schedule-file header.

And so I also wouldn't expect any problem with a schedule that has the regular season open on, say, day 25, with the first 24 days devoted to spring training.
Old 06-29-2023, 01:45 PM   #9
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
I don't know how to format all-star and playoff games in the schedule file.
Some years ago I was working on the creation of an XML-based system similar to that of the current schedule files that would allow complete customization of the playoff format along with setting the accompanying post-season schedules.for that format. Historical leagues could also have the historically accurate post-season schedules for each year.

I got pretty far into the process, and it very comprehensive. There were a few things left to figure out, mostly related to split-seasons formats.

I may dust that system off and take a look at it again to see if I can get it fully completed. It definitely would be an advanced user feature, but on the other hand, users could trade playoff format/post-season schedule customization files
Old 06-29-2023, 01:49 PM   #10
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
And so I also wouldn't expect any problem with a schedule that has the regular season open on, say, day 25, with the first 24 days devoted to spring training.
Did you check on how OOTP actually handles that though? Does OOTP see those games as spring training games? Are the player transactions and stats credited to spring training or are these seen as regular season items? What happened when you hit the regular season opening data — did the standings update to regular season? Or were they counted on top of the spring training standings?
Old 06-29-2023, 02:39 PM   #11
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Did you check on how OOTP actually handles that though? Does OOTP see those games as spring training games? Are the player transactions and stats credited to spring training or are these seen as regular season items? What happened when you hit the regular season opening data — did the standings update to regular season? Or were they counted on top of the spring training standings?
You don't actually expect me to try the things that I'm talking about, do you?

OK, so I gave it a spin, and I ran into problems. The spring-training games show up on the schedule, but when I advance to the first day of the season (which should have four spring-training games), nothing appears. I can only guess that OOTP thinks that the regular season has started and so there shouldn't be any spring-training games during the regular season. This merits some further investigation, but maybe OOTP only recognizes spring-training games if they appear on "negative days," but won't load any schedule that has those "negative days." I'll need to run some more tests to figure out what's happening.

BTW, it's good to see you back on the forum, LGO.