Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #1
xgeoff
Minors (Single A)

The Dreaded Development Update

Does anyone else dread the periodic development updates from their Scout? The first couple of times I looked forward to it, until I realized that the vast majority of changes were negative. I am constantly seeing 4 and 5 star players downgraded to 2 and 3 star levels

There was one time where one of my minor league guys jumped drastically in Contact and Eye ratings. He was amazing for one year, then the ratings dropped back down and he was average again. Almost every other player update is crushing, the values dropping without ever having gone up in the first place.

I think the worst was when I traded Robinson Cano for Kevin Kiermaier. It made so much sense. Kiermaier had a 14 contact rating, ran like a Gazelle and had a 20 Defense rating for both CF and RF. And he was much cheaper

It was perfect, and the first year with the team he roamed the outfield chasing down fly balls at an amazing rate, generating an awesome zr and batted over .300. I was so happy with the move.

The next year his contact and eye ratings dropped, as did his defense. He was 27 and never played the same again. His average was .250 to .260, he struck out A LOT, and his defense ratings fell precipitously

Anyone else get very sad when they see the Development Update email from their Scout?
xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

That hasn't been my experience. I see a nice balance of increases and decreases. Sure, some of the decreases are disappointing, but that's baseball.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:08 PM   #3
xgeoff
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
That hasn't been my experience. I see a nice balance of increases and decreases. Sure, some of the decreases are disappointing, but that's baseball.
I completely agree that increases and decreases are part of baseball, not knocking that at all. Just wondering if anyone else dreads this as much as I do. My experience is that I rarely get increases, and almost always see one or more of my good players degrade.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
Assos
All Star Starter

I have had some 2 and 3 star players develop real nice into 4 and 4.5 and had some 5 stars pot fall apart, just like in real life. See Brian Taylor 1991.
Assos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #5
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

The Dreaded Development Update

Might be that the player is on the decline. 27 seem like the age where players start falling of the cliff.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 10-02-2015 at 07:06 PM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:33 PM   #6
DBR
Minors (Double A)

If every 5 star guy was a sure thing in the game then the game wouldn't be realistic. If you really think about it a majority of top prospects don't become superstars.
DBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #7
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

I love this report. It shows me that some of my used car salesmen might yet make the majors.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
xgeoff
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBR View Post
If every 5 star guy was a sure thing in the game then the game wouldn't be realistic. If you really think about it a majority of top prospects don't become superstars.
Not knocking the realism aspect. Just asking if anyone else cringes like I do when the report comes out.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:44 PM   #9
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgeoff View Post
Not knocking the realism aspect. Just asking if anyone else cringes like I do when the report comes out.
I get what you're saying and yeah, I don't always look forward to it. Sometimes it seems everyone is getting worse. But among all of that bad news, if you look carefully, you'll see that a low round draft pick from whom nothing was expected is now a two star prospect. That doesn't sound like much at first, but it means he's got a lot better and someone to keep eye on because in another year he may very well be a four star prospect.

So try not to get too depressed over bad news. Among all of the declines and downgrades, there might be a diamond in the rough that is starting to shine.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #10
Kent814
All Star Reserve

I love looking for the guys that just break out. Adam conley started at 55/50/55 and then went to a 55/55/60 then popped up to a 65/60/70 and currently is a 80/65/75 and won the past twi cy youngs
Kent814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #11
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I don't really dread it, mainly because every time it comes out I update the ratings for every player in the org by hand in a spreadsheet, so I see ALL the ups and downs. They really do balance out.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgeoff View Post
Does anyone else dread the periodic development updates from their Scout? The first couple of times I looked forward to it, until I realized that the vast majority of changes were negative. I am constantly seeing 4 and 5 star players downgraded to 2 and 3 star levels

There was one time where one of my minor league guys jumped drastically in Contact and Eye ratings. He was amazing for one year, then the ratings dropped back down and he was average again. Almost every other player update is crushing, the values dropping without ever having gone up in the first place.

I think the worst was when I traded Robinson Cano for Kevin Kiermaier. It made so much sense. Kiermaier had a 14 contact rating, ran like a Gazelle and had a 20 Defense rating for both CF and RF. And he was much cheaper

It was perfect, and the first year with the team he roamed the outfield chasing down fly balls at an amazing rate, generating an awesome zr and batted over .300. I was so happy with the move.

The next year his contact and eye ratings dropped, as did his defense. He was 27 and never played the same again. His average was .250 to .260, he struck out A LOT, and his defense ratings fell precipitously

Anyone else get very sad when they see the Development Update email from their Scout?
I don't read that report much anymore. not neccessarily because i dreaded it, but because it's just one month of info and i am not a computer so i cannot remember multiple large reports for all the prospects i care about.

i prefer the scouting reports in the individual player profile pages, because i can see multiple values over time all lined up and easy to read.

that way you may see it drop a tick, but you can see a trend over a greater amount of time to delineate if it is a blip or a trend. you might experience less dread this way.

one other note: if it's like ootp15, a rating change can occur on a specifc day each week. it was wednesday in my league last year. it's still better just to essentially ignore this except in cases of promotion/demotion. otherwise you start fretting over every prospect. you have to find a way to keep an eye on it without micromanaging and worrying about things you cannot control.

Last edited by NoOne; 10-04-2015 at 02:57 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #13
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
I dread it. I never seen a Player drop them go up again. Maybe it does happen but I never seen it but that should happen players might suck but them get themselves right in get better in real life

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #14
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
I dread it. I never seen a Player drop them go up again. Maybe it does happen but I never seen it but that should happen players might suck but them get themselves right in get better in real life
i had a very high potential drop and make a come back. it doesn't happen often.

A SP was consistently losing potential but still slowly moving up the minor leagues - very slowly. then all of a sudden they gained velocity a couple times and potential even recovered nearly all that it lost. his work ethic was nothing special. the turn around only took 1 year. he shot up from A to MLB.

they can recover up until 27 or 28 - refer to manual for exact figure. as long as they fall under the development cutoff something drastic can happen outside of TCR.

Last edited by NoOne; 10-04-2015 at 03:33 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #15
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

The only time the development report is sad for me is when I see my old guys...well, getting old, and starting to play that way. I always kinda go the Yankees route and use my prospects as trade fodder unless the oldsters get a little too old a little too fast.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:39 AM   #16
ttaka808
Minors (Triple A)

Invest some money into player development. You should see more increases than decreases.
ttaka808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:36 AM   #17
SodoMojo
Minors (Double A)

I dread it as well.

I see a balance in both positive and negative developments but in my experience the good developments are usually recoveries from development drop offs. (see a LOT of tick up, tick down, rinse, repeat) Rarely do I see guys improve let alone totally come out of left field.

Needless to say that goes tenfold for young IAFA's or prospects.

Add injuries, CEI's, and it's a gritty world! But it adds to the challenge and makes you appreciate the times guys do develop or improve.

There are of course ways to battle it through settings, scout types, development costs, etc...

Regardless...

I dread it...whether it's realistic or not...I dread it.

Last edited by SodoMojo; 10-07-2015 at 03:39 AM.
SodoMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #18
waltwa
All Star Reserve

the solution is to fire the scout and hire yourself at no salary to be the scout and spend the savings on player development. here is the big news. ask your scout if he actually sees the players he is scouting. oh wait u can't ask him a question because he does not exist therefore how can he possibly scout players?

ootp is the best game ever developed but not every aspect of the game makes sense and scouting is at the top of the list.

Last edited by waltwa; 10-07-2015 at 03:47 PM.
waltwa is offline   Reply With Quote