Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 05-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #81
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

First letter from Maxx Kinsella, pitching coach for Ramblewood

This letter found its way to Buck Kinsella during the All-Star break in Bayouville. Grampa Buck had just been named to the All-Star game in his first full season as a big leaguer. His father (my great grandfather), Maxx, was just joining the Ramblewood Black Pirates, Irontown's rookie league in the Jim Lintz League. His arrival was delayed because of health concerns for his father, the former Commissioner Ted Kinsella. I know... lots of names to keep straight. What can I say? We're a baseball family.

July 11, 1950

Hi Son,

I'm glad to hear you are doing so great. Your Mom and I always look forward to reading your letters. I have just arrived in Ramblewood. Your Gramps has taken a turn for the worse and I stayed back in Irontown to get him settled into our house. He's one stubborn son of a gun and refused to move in. But he just hasn't been the same lately... we're hoping he'll be back to his old self now that he has his family to watch over him all the time.

Enough about that. The Black Pirates were kind enough to let me join the team midseason, and I start tomorrow. I met the other fellas on the coaching staff yesterday when I got into town. From what I can tell, the pitching has been a mess. Our starters have a 5.37 ERA, second to last in the Jim Lintz League, which would explain our 8-13 start. Our most promising pitcher is a 19 year old by the name of Mike Savage. He was the Black Sox first round pick last year. If I can get him to buy in, the entire staff is sure to follow. Lucky for me, I have an All-Star protege pitching in the big leagues right now.

Speaking of which, I listened to the All-Star game today... I'm sorry you didn't get to pitch. You'll get your shot. I just know it. It's a young man's game, and if you stick to what I told you, you're going to make one fine Sim Leaguer. Us old guys, we have to leave the game in your hands. Just look at Sam Crowley. One day he's hitting 3 homeruns in a game, the next he's going 0-for in the All-Star game. This game passes us by real quick. We have to make our mark while we can.

This is your time, Son. Do great things in Appaloosa, and I'll talk to you soon.

Love,
Dad
Attached Images
Image Image 

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
SimNation Fictional Universe (est. 1889)
This is Oakland A's Baseball
Beane Counting: The Oakland A's
Hendu Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #82
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Buck's shutout streak, and a letter from Maxx

Like father, like son? The son of a pitching coach, Buck Kinsella was mesmerizing Pioneer League opponents with his deceiving changeup to the tune of an impressive shutout streak that had reached 38 innings after a complete game 1-hit shutout of the Granite Falls Timberjacks. The streak would reach 39.2 innings before Buck got shelled for 5 runs on 7 hits in a 9-3 loss to Westwood.

Meanwhile, things we pretty far from an impressive for Buck's father. His team was struggling in rookie league play, and the pitching was not coming around.

Dear Buck,

It sounds like you're doing great in Appaloosa. I couldn't be more proud of you and what you've accomplished so far in your career. You always knew the odds would be against you. My genes didn't bless you with a rocket arm or a 6'5 frame, but you're making the best of your abilities with an iron will and a head for the game. Keep it up.

That Kinsella iron will is being tested right now here in the Lintz League. I thought I had found a quick fix for our pitching staff when we won 4 straight - including 2 shutouts - as soon as I arrived. We lost two straight despite giving up just 4 runs, and then things have gotten out of hand over the last couple of games, losing 2 more road games by a combined score of 20-9. To make matters worse, our staff ace is out for the season with a torn rotator cuff. I was looking forward to working with Mike Savage, but I got to see a grand total of one inning before he blew out his arm. Tough break.

Everything is a lesson, and I believe Savage's injury is a lesson for you and me both. Cherish every moment you have on the mound, and pitch every inning as if it's your last. You've worked very hard to get to the SBL, and you'll have to work just as hard to stay there. I hope to see you soon. Keep up the good work.

Love,
Dad
Attached Images

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #83
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

1950: Crowley and Storms hit it out, Thomas retires

While father and son Maxx and Buck Kinsella were exchanging letters in the summer of 1950, the SBL all-time hits record was going back and forth between Sam Crowley and Marty Storms.

Storms never received the acclaim that Crowley had, winning the league MVP award once to Crowley's twelve, but he was a model of consistency. As Crowley was relegated to pinch-hitter status because of his eroding defense in the outfield, Storms was still an everyday player at first base. By early August, Maxis City's 14-time All-Star had overtaken Crowley for the all-time record with 3,198 hits to Crowley's 3,197.

While Crowley and Storms battled for the hits record, another 3000-hit member, Sim City's Cal Thomas, decided to call it a career. The 4-time Colonial League MVP and 14-time All-Star catcher retired with 3,175 hits (3rd all-time when he retired), 468 homeruns (second only to Crowley), and 1584 RBI (third behind Crowley and Storms). He truly was one of the game's all-time greats, and right up there among the best catchers ever to play the sport.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #84
Tyke
All Star Starter

What a great career for Cal Thomas - obviously the Hall of Fame is waiting.
Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #85
zroberts1991
Minors (Triple A)

Love seeing dynasty reports like this, I did something similar to this a couple years back importing all the cities I made from Sim City into OOTP

Crowley sure was special
zroberts1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #86
Andriko
Minors (Single A)

Is there any chance we can see Cal Thomas's career stats (or did I miss them somewhere already?)?

Also, how long have you had minor leagues running? There didn't appear to be any earlier on.
Andriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #87
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zroberts1991 View Post
Love seeing dynasty reports like this, I did something similar to this a couple years back importing all the cities I made from Sim City into OOTP

Crowley sure was special
If you have any Sim Cities you'd like to see featured in my dynasty, let me know. It's probably too late for the next round of expansion (coming soon), but maybe in the future. Glad to see I wasn't the first to have that idea!

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #88
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andriko View Post
Is there any chance we can see Cal Thomas's career stats (or did I miss them somewhere already?)?

Also, how long have you had minor leagues running? There didn't appear to be any earlier on.
I don't think I'm letting the cat out of the bag in saying Cal will be in the Hall. I'll have all his stats up when he gets inducted.

Minors have been going since the start. I only featured the minors now that we have a storyline involving the farm system.

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-23-2013, 04:10 AM   #89
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

1951: Changes coming for the SBL

Things hadn't quite worked out as planned for the Kinsella's in 1950. One had exceeded expectations by becoming an All-Star pitcher, the other had a disappointing rookie season as a pitching coach.

Buck Kinsella went an impressive 16-8 with a 2.76 ERA in his first full season in the big leagues. The Appaloosa Arrows righthander jumped from fringe reliever to the ace of the staff, finishing second in the Pioneer League Rookie of the Year vote to Seaside Pirates third baseman Slim Curry (.294, 32 HR, 96 RBI in 1950).

Meanwhile, Irontown's rookie league affiliate, the Ramblewood Black Pirates, struggled to a 27-41 mark with Maxx Kinsella as their pitching coach. Their pitching was some of the worst in the Lintz League, with their starting pitchers posting a 4.56 ERA, and the bullpen responsible for a 5.63 ERA... the worst of any team in the minors. Maxx's delayed arrival with the club and a season-ending injury to staff ace Mike Savage was partially to blame, but I'm sure my great grandpa wasn't about to make any excuses.

While father and son Kinsella reunited in Irontown for the offseason, change was afoot in baseball. The SimNation Baseball League had decided to expand to four additional markets for the 1952 season. For the first time since 1905, the Colonial League would add two teams to its fold, while two more teams would join the Pioneer League. Those cities were announced in 1951, but would have to wait another year to join the SBL.

Also a part of this change would be the creation of the Designated Hitter. Commissioner Randall Klein was a big proponent of the DH and seized the opportunity when the ever-popular Sam Crowley wasn't getting at-bats thanks to his diminished skills in left field. Crowley would be the perfect case study for the DH, but only in the Pioneer League. Fans wanted to see Crowley retire as baseball's all-time hits king, and he was hanging on by a thread over Marty Storms (3,203 to 3,200 entering the '51 season). The Colonial League would still have its pitchers hit, just as it had since its inception in 1871.

In an effort to counter balance this perceived advantage for the hitters, the powers that be decided to raise the mound across baseball, tipping the balance in favor of pitchers.

For the first time in 46 years, baseball was changing the game. And new teams were about to join the fray.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #90
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

The DH is born

Opening Day 1951 was upon us, and the designated hitter was a hit. Literally. Sam Crowley DH'ed for Northgate in a season-opening 13-1 win over rival Rocklyn, going 3-for-5 at the plate with a pair of doubles and 2 RBI. Crowley couldn't play defense worth a lick, but boy could the 38 year old still hit.

Meanwhile, Buck Kinsella had earned the opening day start for the Appaloosa Arrows, but was a tough luck loser against Westwood. He wrote this letter to Maxx, who was back home in Irontown getting ready for the Rookie League season:

Dear Dad,

Tough loss for us today. I didn't allow any earned runs (2 unearned) in six innings in a 2-1 loss to the Stars. I feel like I pretty much did all I could out there, though I didn't help myself out with an error. I'm remembering what you told me this offseason: I've got a bullseye on my back this year. I had the second lowest ERA in the league last season. I'm our #1 starter. I'm not going to catch anyone by surprise.

I will say it's a little weird not hitting anymore. I've done it all my life. I've never been very good at it (I have you to thank for that). Still, I feel like I'm slacking a little bit by sitting on the bench when my spot in the order comes up to bat. I suppose I'm not the only pitcher dealing with that, and I'll need to adjust.

I promise to send some postcards your way once we go on the road. I know Mom loves collecting those things. I'll send a postcard to grampa, too, from Santo Cielo for his 80th birthday. I really wish you guys could come see me play more often, but I understand.

Take care,
Buck
Attached Images

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-23-2013, 04:49 AM   #91
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Ted Kinsella's 80th Birthday

My great, great grandfather Ted Kinsella turned 80 on April 22, 1951, and I'm pleased to report that his grandson Buck had the presence of mind to send him a postcard wishing him well during his road trip in Santo Cielo...

Happy Birthday Gramps!

Hope you had a great 80th today. I'm writing to you from my hotel room in Santo Cielo, overlooking the Bay. You should see it.

I wish I could've won a game for you on your birthday, but we lost another close one today, 3-1. I gave up a couple of homeruns in 8 innings. It's kind of tough losing these low-scoring games... in my 3 losses so far, my team has given me a total of 3 runs. In my 2 wins, we've scored 5 runs. I guess the moral of the story is, I need more than 1 run to win. I thought we had the DH! So much for run support.

Still a lot of season to go. Hope to see you soon.

Love,
Buck
Attached Images

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #92
zroberts1991
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu Style View Post
If you have any Sim Cities you'd like to see featured in my dynasty, let me know. It's probably too late for the next round of expansion (coming soon), but maybe in the future. Glad to see I wasn't the first to have that idea!
I made a city in Simcity named Eden that got over 1,000,000 population and a perfect mayor score. So when I ran my sim ootp leagues Eden was always a force to be reckoned with because their market size was so big.

Definitely wouldn't mind seeing them turn up in this Report. I named them the Vipers in my old league.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #93
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zroberts1991 View Post
I made a city in Simcity named Eden that got over 1,000,000 population and a perfect mayor score. So when I ran my sim ootp leagues Eden was always a force to be reckoned with because their market size was so big.

Definitely wouldn't mind seeing them turn up in this Report. I named them the Vipers in my old league.
What kind of geography did Eden have?

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #94
zroberts1991
Minors (Triple A)

It was the biggest map size you could have, and most of the terrain was flat with a small land of water at the edge of the map for a seaport.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:07 AM   #95
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Buck Kinsella's sophomore slump

July 8, 1951

Hey Dad,

Sorry for not writing back sooner. Things aren't going too well right now and I'm just trying to get my head in the right place. The All-Star announcements really hit home today and reminded me just how much things have changed in the last year.

Not surprisingly, my 4-13 mark and 4.76 ERA just ain't getting it done right now. I feel like I'm one of the big reasons why we're struggling so bad right now... 6-game losing skid, worst record in baseball at 28-60.

You were right about everyone kind of figuring me out and having to adjust my strategy. Everywhere I go, teams are just teeing off on me. I haven't had a good outting in almost a month. That includes my worst performance ever against Fort Dodge. I gave up 7 runs and didn't even make it out of the second inning against the Federals. To think that my ERA was sitting in the low 2.00's at the end of April... I really have to get back in my rhythm. My changeup is my go-to pitch, but now that everyone is expecting it, I'm having trouble getting command of my other pitches.

I'm hoping the All-Star break will help me clear my head. I'll send you guys some postcards real soon. Hope things are going well in Ramblewood.

Love,

Buck

1951 Stats at All-Star Break:
Attached Images

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-27-2013, 02:12 AM   #96
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Crowley finds his second wind

While Buck Kinsella's star was fading in Appaloosa, Sam Crowley was proving he still had a little coal left in the hopper. Baseball's all-time homerun and hit king was motoring right along at the age of 38, notching his third career 5-hit game. The Knights designated hitter may have lost his range and the pop in his bat, but he still knew how to make solid contact on the ball.
Attached Images

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #97
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Pep talk from Pops

More correspondence between Maxx and Buck Kinsella. You can really see how Maxx knew when to push his son, and when to encourage him. It also shows how he toed the line between father and coach.

August 9, 1951

Dear Son,

It sounds like you've turned things around a bit since the last time we spoke. I saw you just threw another shutout... what is that, two shutouts in your last four starts now? Don't get discouraged... just keep doing what I taught you, and things will work out just fine.

I won't bore you with what's going on here in Ramblewood. The last thing you need is your old man talking minor league baseball. I will tell you, though, that you better keep an eye on Dennis Henderson. He's my latest pet project here in the rookie league, and he could be a good one. He's struck out 74 hitters so far in 52 innings. He may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but the kid's got a rocket for an arm.

Speaking of rockets, how about the news in Arcopolis? They're really going to try to send a rocket into space? How about that! That would be quite the thing, beating the ruskies in the space race.

Well, back to work. If our team doesn't get its you-know-what together, this might be the last letter I write to you from Ramblewood.

Love,
Dad
Attached Images
Image Image 

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #98
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

1951: A bad year to be a Kinsella

1951 was not a banner season in the Kinsella household. Buck narrowly avoided a 20-loss season by going 3-1 with a 1.99 ERA in the month of September, finishing his second season in the SBL 11-19 with a 4.19 ERA in 240.2 innings pitched. The Appaloosa Arrows went 62-100 that season.

Maxx's Ramblewood Black Pirates (rookie league affiliate of the Irontown Black Sox) went an abysmal 26-42, while his starting pitchers had the second-worst ERA (4.94) in the entire Lintz League.

However, baseball was doing quite well. Every team in the SimNation Baseball League was turning a profit, including emerging power Santo Cielo, which made well over $2.5 million in profits that season. The Seals would go on to lose a thrilling 7-game Sim Series to Atlantis, but still had reached the championship series six times in a span of seven series.

The Seals, though, along with the rest of the SBL, would have new teams to contend with, as expansion was right around the corner.
Attached Images

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #99
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Lincoln Inducted into HOF

Ten years after playing his last big league game, Colt Lincoln was inducted into the SBL's Hall of Fame. One of the greatest power hitters of his generation, Lincoln was baseball's all-time homerun leader until Sam Crowley and Cal Thomas overtook him in the 1940's after his retirement. He never hit .300 in a full season, but Lincoln regularly hit in the high .280's to .290's throughout his career and was a 2-time MVP and 12-time All-Star. He was also a 5-time Tiberium Glove winner at first base. It's surprising it took him so long to get into the Hall, but he finally took his rightful place among the all-time greats in 1951.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-27-2013, 03:21 AM   #100
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Here today, gone tomorrow: Crowley traded; retires

Proving that even the game's all-time greats aren't irreplaceable, the Northgate Knights shipped Sam Crowley to the Freeport Patriots on November 11, 1951. The deal raised eyebrows around the league. How could the Knights possibly trade the player they drafted #1 overall in 1931, especially after he hit a respectable .303 with 14 homeruns in his first season as a DH?

Not wanting to play for any team other than the Knights, Crowley retired unceremoniously two weeks later. There would be no retirement ceremony or tearful farewell. Baseball's all-time leader in hits, homeruns, RBI, runs scored, slugging percentage, OPS, and total bases (among others) was done with baseball.

An unfitting ending to a legendary career. Northgate may have botched Crowley's retirement, but the SBL wouldn't drop the ball in honoring it's all-time greatest player.
Attached Images

Previous OOTP Dynasties: