Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 02:57 PM   #81
steamboat brand, palooka
Minors (Double A)

Cap, after finally finding that fantastic www.boxrec. com, which has Jeff Madden's career record, even, I've decided to replay the 1912 White Hope Era year. I believe 1912 combines the best of the "Big Four" black heavyweights, and most of the significant "White Hopes", at their peaks.
This decision makes Tom Mc Carty's photo less crucial, but it makes guys like Jeff Madden and Harry Wuest more important. So far, I'd need to add these:
JEFF MADDEN
"Jumbo" WELLS
HARRY WUEST
Old 01-17-2006, 08:39 PM   #82
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Harry Wuest is there somewhere in the Missing Photos thread. The other two will prove difficult to locate.

Cap
Old 01-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #83
steamboat brand, palooka
Minors (Double A)

I'm looking for photos of these fighters, now:

FRED BRADLEY
PAT DORAN
JEFF MADDEN
DAVE MILLS
JUMBO WELLS
JOHN WILLE
BOB"The Masked Marvel"WILLIAMS
HARRY WUEST(somewhere in missing fighter photos)

I checked all the way up to page 179 in missing photos, and no Harry Wuest. Is there an index of where in the missing fighter photos a particular fighter is located? Does anyone out there have P.O. Nutty Curran's correct fighting weight, around 1912?(It can be in stones)

Last edited by steamboat brand, palooka; 01-18-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:18 PM   #84
steamboat brand, palooka
Minors (Double A)

Cap, I went through 284 pages of missing photos, and my eyes are bugging out. No Harry Wuest. I did find a couple I had missed, like a nice side shot you put up of Sailor White. The next guy, one you thought MIGHT be Jack McFarland lost a lot of hair in a hurry, if the other poster is correct about the photo he had of Jack McFarland. In that one, he's almost bald. By the way, the other McFarland photo was in a thread I started which was specifically on the White Hope Era heavyweights, and I can't find this thread now. Thanks. Steamboat.

Last edited by steamboat brand, palooka; 01-18-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:48 PM   #85
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Here's Harry Wuest again. Were you aware that Jumbo Wells' real name was Jack Hubbard? Pretty sure someone here has posted Fred Bradley....By the way, if memory serves (and it rarely does) that other pic of the balding McFarland was a small grainy newspaper photo taken late in his career. So the one with Sailor White might still be him. I did make a plausible historical connection that my friends in the IBRO (I'm not a member) might be able to prove or disprove.

Cap
Attached Images

Last edited by Cap; 01-18-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #86
steamboat brand, palooka
Minors (Double A)

Thanks for the Harry Wuest, Cap. I wish I could have stayed with that "White Hope Era" thread, because it would have been a great chance to show ALL of the Heavyweights from that time, all together, rather than all spread out. I've said this before, but that period is so precise a time frame(July,1910 to April,1915, though one could argue for 1908), and so old and creepy, with the old dinosaurs, black and white. As a big bonus, you have an exact definition of who's in, and who's not, by those years.
Hey Cap, I'm going to have a real "tomato can" be the first challenger for Jack Johnson's title. I figure they'll never get another shot, after that. Who should I choose? It's your call. Whoever you say, that's who it will be. I was thinking Sailor White, but there are even worse guys than him, in my group.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:26 PM   #87
Tosti
Hall Of Famer

Steamboat, is this thread you were searching for?

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...p/t-96093.html
Old 01-19-2006, 08:05 PM   #88
steamboat brand, palooka
Minors (Double A)

No Tosti, those were my own ratings for the old board game, which I had put up. The thread I was looking for was one I had started a while back, which contained photos specifically of White Hope Era heavyweights. Jack McFarland's photo was there, as well as Soldier Delaney and a couple other guys. I thought it would be a neat idea to have all White Hope Era heavyweights pictured on one thread. From Jack Johnson to Jess Willard. From Soldier Kearns to Battling Jim Johnson. Perhaps even with boxer ratings and weight/hometown. Most all of them are in the missing photo thread. Now that I'm writing, would there any way, without upsetting the apple cart, to divide all those photos into eras and weight classes?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:09 PM   #89
Tosti
Hall Of Famer

Is this it?

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ad.php?t=94798
Old 01-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #90
steamboat brand, palooka
Minors (Double A)

Yes, that's the thread, Tosti. I was yacking too much on it, but I wish something like that could be the start of A White Hope Era Heavyweight photo thread. I don't know how feasible something like that would be.
Cap, I looked at the other Jack McFarland photo again, and I think you might be right. Though McFarland's hair did recede, there is still a big shock of hair on top, in his older age picture. The face looks like it could be the same guy. Now I know another thing about the White Hope Era- Jack McFarland was all about hair. He should have paid a little more attention to his boxing defense, perhaps.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #91
steamboat brand, palooka
Minors (Double A)

Cap, I just changed my mind on the particular phase of the White Hope Era I am going to run. I was definately leaning toward 1912, by itself, but now I think it will be 1910-1915, covering the entire period. I prefered 1912, because it was less guesswork, on how good someone was, and who did and did not belong. Luther McCarty's 1912 ability was known; you can't be sure how good he had become by May of 1913.
But it will be more difficult to find a photo of Jeff Madden, John Wille, and if they are included, Fred Bradley, Jumbo Wells, and Bob Williams than it will be to find a photo of just Tom McCarty. It comes down to simply that.
I don't want any of my fighters unseen. I've replayed baseball seasons before, and believe it or not, I wouldn't play if I didn't know what even one player looked like! It wasn't so easy, for the 1941 season, but I finally did it. The 1950's baseball were easier.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #92
Cap
Hall Of Famer

HW John Willie(sic).
Attached Images
Old 01-21-2006, 06:57 PM   #93
Cap
Hall Of Famer

HW Joe Willis
Attached Images
Old 01-21-2006, 07:01 PM   #94
Cap
Hall Of Famer

HW Al Norton
Attached Images
Old 01-21-2006, 07:02 PM   #95
Cap
Hall Of Famer

HW Al Reich
Attached Images
Old 01-21-2006, 07:04 PM   #96
Cap
Hall Of Famer

HW Tony Ross
Attached Images
Old 01-23-2006, 01:06 PM   #97
steamboat brand, palooka
Minors (Double A)

Thanks, Cap. I wonder if a Boston paper on microfilm will have a photo of Jeff Madden, in the day before one of his bouts. The New London Day had a huge picture of Al Palzer on the front page of their January 1st, 1913 edition! It was the day of his fight with Luther McCarty.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:08 PM   #98
steamboat brand, palooka
Minors (Double A)

Back to 1912! I need photos of these 1912 Heavyweights:
1.JEFF MADDEN(koed by Gene Tunney, in 1920! Was he Bartley's brother?)
2.PAT DORAN
3.FRED BRADLEY(beat 4+5, in his only 1912 bouts; they can't play without him)
4.JUMBO WELLS/JACK HUBBARD (the same guy, and the same results- losses)
5.BOB "The Masked Marvel" WILLIAMS(Bob began his boxing career wearing a mask, then took the mask off, for the rest of his career. From the looks of his record, it should have been the other way around)

If I change my mind AGAIN, I need
TOM McCARTY
Old 01-26-2006, 02:20 AM   #99
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Here is what I need:
Ray Ray Gray LHW
Derrick Bryant HW
Art Card HW
Biagio Chianese HW
Stacy Frazier HW
Timo Hoffman HW