Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:15 PM   #1
Travg11
Bat Boy

Unrealistic things?

I am 45 games in, but here are some things that seem very very off.

1. Wild pitches and passed balls. There seem to be 1-2 of these every game, and they happen often with guys on third. You just don’t see these that often in major league games.

2. Many many times after stopping a baserunner at third with less than 2 outs the next guy strikes out. You’re almost better sending the guy no matter what b/c more times than not a strike out is going to happen next. Just played a game where on two different occasions I held a guy at third with no outs and watched the next two guys K.

Other random thought.....Can we not get a green light button? Too many times I try to steal my guy and he doesn’t get a good jump. And when you attempt to steal the batter always takes, so it’s wasting an at bat

Enjoying the game but those things are frustrating
Travg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:21 PM   #2
andyhdz
All Star Starter

Honestly 45 games is a drop in the bucket. Multiply it by 10 and then let us know.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:24 PM   #3
Travg11
Bat Boy

Thanks for the post. Always nice to get nice answers
Old 05-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #4
DanKreider
Minors (Double A)

He’s not wrong though, this is baseball baby!! Let it play out for a season. There are issues with the game, obviously, but there’s a tendency for new players to (occasionally) make grandstanding assumptions and pronouncements about the game after tiny sample sizes.
DanKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:55 PM   #5
Travg11
Bat Boy

I’m not new to the game, I’ve played it for years. This yeAr it seems off. Even 45 games in.

But again many thanks for the constructive answers.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Can you give the counts for your team's total wild pitches and passed balls (along with games played in the event that has changed since the original post)?
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:09 PM   #7
WIUPIKE
All Star Starter

Please provide what your modifiers are and that should help determine if it's in your league settings
WIUPIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:20 PM   #8
seven
All Star Reserve

And do consult the helpful thread called "Wild pitches / Passed balls" posted by Bobfather.
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:01 AM   #9
Mat
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travg11 View Post
I’m not new to the game, I’ve played it for years. This yeAr it seems off. Even 45 games in.

But again many thanks for the constructive answers.
"It seems off"

The exact numbers can be checked on the stats page. I would suggest you check it out.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #10
Harry Hibbs
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I am 45 games in, but here are some things that seem very very off.

1. Wild pitches and passed balls. There seem to be 1-2 of these every game, and they happen often with guys on third. You just don’t see these that often in major league games.
"seem to be" or "are" ? I just checked current RL MLB stats and the leading team in that stat has 38 WPs in ~50 games played. Close to 1 per game. That's a small sample size like yours. Check your modifiers just in case, but they are probably defaults / reasonable. However, tweak it down a little if it's really bugging you.
Harry Hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:18 PM   #11
fredbeene
All Star Starter

I believe there are modifiers applied to team that x amount of whatever stat should occur.
I have an all defensive team with 90 or much higher at each position.
Apricio at 110 at SS has 20 errors in 140 games
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #12
Harry Hibbs
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbeene View Post
I believe there are modifiers applied to team that x amount of whatever stat should occur.
Yes I think the SS position yields too many errors with the default modifiers. I turned mine down.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:22 PM   #13
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbeene View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hibbs View Post
Yes I think the SS position yields too many errors with the default modifiers. I turned mine down.
What is too many? And if you haven't run autocalc (which does adjust LTM's by position) then it could well be true that yours are too high, but...
if you think 20 errors by a gold glove SS is too many then that is simply not true.

Luis Aparicio averaged 20.333 errors per season over 18 MLB seasons. Over those 18 years he averaged 143.388 games started. The only position he played in the field was SS where he won 9 gold gloves.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...parilu01.shtml

Add too that Ozzie Smith averaged almost 15 errors per season. 13 gold gloves for the wizard.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #14
oldcatcher
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Location: Virginia, USA under a bridge in a van down by the river
Quote:

Other random thought.....Can we not get a green light button? Too many times I try to steal my guy and he doesn’t get a good jump. And when you attempt to steal the batter always takes, so it’s wasting an at bat

I find this the single most annoying thing about the game (not that i find much annoying). I think it is totally ridiculous. Even with pitcher with awful hold runner ratings and catchers that couldn't throw runners with peg leg out, it still happens much more often than the steal actually playing out. Totally breaks the baseball manager buzz for me.

My suggestion is simply to have an option to disable this.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #15
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

my leagues have ~72% success rate in stealing. you can make it this way too with modifiers. the ratings do matter regardless of what the league average is. it'll just mean something slightly different than if the #s were lower or higher on average.

stealing is very volatile from year to year.

passed balls and wild pitches are less so. from ~1 year you'll easily be able to see if those 2 are far off. they won't be more than +/- ~30 or so. if you see at end of year you have 100+ extra wild pitches than a typical MLB year, then you have to adjust the modifier or click "autocalculate" before season starts to re-do all of them.

Last edited by NoOne; 06-03-2019 at 09:35 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:32 PM   #16
Harry Hibbs
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
What is too many? And if you haven't run autocalc (which does adjust LTM's by position) then it could well be true that yours are too high, but...
if you think 20 errors by a gold glove SS is too many then that is simply not true.

Luis Aparicio averaged 20.333 errors per season over 18 MLB seasons. Over those 18 years he averaged 143.388 games started. The only position he played in the field was SS where he won 9 gold gloves.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...parilu01.shtml

Add too that Ozzie Smith averaged almost 15 errors per season. 13 gold gloves for the wizard.
Crawford had 20 errors inside the first 2 months!! That's too many, I think you'd agree, no?. I had not run autocalc after last season since I'm unsure what it actually does....
Old 06-03-2019, 10:39 PM   #17
Harry Hibbs
Minors (Double A)

Actually that's an exaggeration, but he did start out with a lot of errors in the first month or so. At that point I turned it down. He ended the year with 22. This year we're at the half way mark and he's committed 11. So it feels about right to me. However, I'd like to better understand autocalc and why I might want to use it for next season.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:17 AM   #18
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hibbs View Post
Actually that's an exaggeration, but he did start out with a lot of errors in the first month or so. At that point I turned it down. He ended the year with 22. This year we're at the half way mark and he's committed 11. So it feels about right to me. However, I'd like to better understand autocalc and why I might want to use it for next season.
Autocalc is one of the best things Markus added to the game and is a powerful tool.

In short autocalc simulates 3 seasons in a matter or seconds and sets your League Total Modifiers (LTM) so your league generates stats very close to your League Totals (LT). Here is a quote from a post I made awhile ago that should help you with autocalc

Quote:
The numbers are the goal and the modifiers help to reach those numbers. You need to use the "autocalc" button that is on that screen and the game will set the modifiers for you to generate the target numbers.

1.000 is just a starting point for LTM (league total modifiers). Any increase or decrease is a percentage adjustment so 1.150 is a 15% bump while .950 is a 5% decrease. They can run quite a bit over or under 1.000 to produce the "correct" stats. I've seem some as high as 1.750 and as low as .318. The results are dependent on how the players are rated in your league and your LTMs could be totally different than mine and yet still produce the same stats. So if your league is hitting 10% fewer HR over a season the LTM would be increased to 1.100. 10% to many HR and it would be set to .900.

So yes, it is the LTMs that are, more than likely, causing your issue. You could manually test and set these yourself but luckily autocalc will do that for you. It runs three seasons in a matter of seconds in the background and tweaks the LTMs to get your statistical output in line with your "goal numbers".

Keep in mind that autocalc is only available before the season starts. You can run it on opening day, so rosters are at 25 men, as long as you do it before any games are played. Once a game is played the autocalc button disappears until next spring.
Autocalc is found on the "stats and AI" tab in setup. If you look down that page you will see all of the categories that autocalc adjusts modifiers for that includes, for your issue, errors not just for the whole league but breaks them down by position.

You can run AC every year or you can let your stats drift a bit and do it every 2 or 3 years, really however you want.

You can also make big changes from season to season is you wish. Want to increase or decrease HR to start a new era in your league? Just change the LT and let autocalc adjust the modifier for you before your next season and your new HR era will begin.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #19
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Quote:

Is this referring to the "Steal 2nd" command within a game? You can always do "Send Forced" and the runner will go no matter what, but I have noticed that they seem to get thrown out more with that command.

I do agree, I hate that you can force your batter into an 0-2 hole because your runner cant seem to decide when to go
wallewalls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #20
Harry Hibbs
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Autocalc is one of the best things Markus added to the game and is a powerful tool.

In short autocalc simulates 3 seasons in a matter or seconds and sets your League Total Modifiers (LTM) so your league generates stats very close to your League Totals (LT). Here is a quote from a post I made awhile ago that should help you with autocalc

Autocalc is found on the "stats and AI" tab in setup. If you look down that page you will see all of the categories that autocalc adjusts modifiers for that includes, for your issue, errors not just for the whole league but breaks them down by position.

You can run AC every year or you can let your stats drift a bit and do it every 2 or 3 years, really however you want.

You can also make big changes from season to season is you wish. Want to increase or decrease HR to start a new era in your league? Just change the LT and let autocalc adjust the modifier for you before your next season and your new HR era will begin.
Excellent, Sweed. Thank you for the tutorial!