Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:03 AM   #1
saintofthesinners
Bat Boy

Is it to hard to get PP?

First I want say I’ve been loving Perfect Team. It’s a great idea and I can’t wait to see it expanded.

The major problem I’ve been having is the lack of opportunity to earn PP through gameplay. It’s too often that I go 4 or even 10 games without earning PP. I think that’s too long. At this rate it will take me two weeks to earn one gold pack.

What does everybody else think of this? Should PP be more easily earned?
saintofthesinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:04 AM   #2
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintofthesinners View Post
First I want say I’ve been loving Perfect Team. It’s a great idea and I can’t wait to see it expanded.

The major problem I’ve been having is the lack of opportunity to earn PP through gameplay. It’s too often that I go 4 or even 10 games without earning PP. I think that’s too long. At this rate it will take me two weeks to earn one gold pack.

No way will it take you two weeks to earn a pack.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:16 AM   #3
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintofthesinners View Post

Well, the goal of the mode is to generate money for the company, so making PP distribution even more generous is kind of counter productive.

I personally think the PP earned is pretty good. I can get a couple packs a week (I don't go for gold packs - odds are in your favor to pull better cards with 5 bronze packs instead) at least, sometimes more when I get really lucky (I had my team do a triple play and 7 double plays in one game 3 days apart for 3 000 PP right there).

But going 4 games without PP ? That's nothing. Normal even.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:20 AM   #4
Arobbins
Minors (Double A)

I think it's fair the way it is. It's a lot of RNG, and most of the chunk PP rewards are at the end of the season/playoffs. I think some of the achievements could use a little better balanced as far as payouts. A Grand Slam is surely worth more than 20 points.

Arobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:20 AM   #5
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post

A gold pack ? Absolutely possible.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:25 AM   #6
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post

saintofthesinners did say Gold Pack rather than Standard Pack.

I feel like two bad seasons would only get you 5000 PP in two weeks.

My worst season was 4980 PP but I was still 80-82 and got 1000 PP for a Save Streak achievement which likely wouldn't happen if you dipped down to ~60 wins so 2500 PP for a season isn't that absurd of an concept to me. I've attached a graph of the timing for my PP that season.

Take away the Save Streak achievement and add some more gaps and you'll be there.

Personally, I feel like the PP distribution is about right but I've only had one losing season so maybe try me after a few more of those. I feel like an average team should be able to earn 1k/day.
Attached Images

Last edited by mrbucket; 05-16-2019 at 01:26 AM.
mrbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:27 AM   #7
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

the real points are in working the market
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:30 AM   #8
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldur00 View Post
A gold pack ? Absolutely possible.
You're right. I thought he was talking about regular packs. Yup. for a gold pack, yes, you could very easily not be able to earn one in a week.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:04 AM   #9
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

The OP's folly is buying gold packs, purely and simply.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:12 AM   #10
Goliathus
Major Leagues

To be fair, gold packs are good for building the foundation of a pack-only team. Get 5-10 gold packs and go from there. That aside, well, it's better to just buy the gold players you want from the auction house.

I don't think the earning potential of a low tier team is that bad. In my experience, one can earn at least 3K for the week by being the bottom feeder.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #11
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Gold packs are horrendous in any scenario. You want as many chances of a big pull as possible and with gold packs you get 5x fewer. It is way better to have 25-50 regular packs to build a packs only team

Last edited by dkgo; 05-16-2019 at 09:29 AM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #12
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

I have seen some 5+ game stretches where I don't get any points, but those tend to balance out with games where you get them in bunches as well. I keep a tracking sheet for daily/weekly point accumulation... so far in v20, my worst day (not including Sundays where my team wasn't in the post season and didn't play) I only earned 190 points.... best day (not including points from card sales) was 3515 points (Sunday with post season points)

for a week total points, worst so far in 6 seasons was oddly enough, my first year in iron (6760)... best was season 4 (first year in silver league) with 10895 (includes a playoff appearance in the LDS)

overall averaging 1690 points per day, so more than enough for a gold pack a week if that's what I was after....
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #13
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Generally, yeah, it's easy sometimes, though. People have been creative. There are PPs awarded for team accomplishments, individual accomplishments and you can buy them. There are different ways to earn them and different ways to spend them for sure, if you consider ... Basically as you play the game some PP come rolling in for playing, and I guess they aren't too easy to get but maybe? for some people they come easier.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:26 PM   #14
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Gold packs are horrendous in any scenario. You want as many chances of a big pull as possible and with gold packs you get 5x fewer. It is way better to have 25-50 regular packs to build a packs only team

In a vacuum, you are right but I think there are scenarios where gold packs are useful, sort of like how sac bunt can be useful in some situations or for a example from another sport, midrange jumper is not always a bad shot. Essentially, gold packs provide consistency over a short term or a lower amount of PP over normal pack.

If I am a P2P pack only team who can afford 100 normal packs right away. Then yeah, go for that.

For F2P, I think we have to look at things differently. I have 3 F2P pack-only teams in PT19 and I have done both gold-for-foundation and all-normal. My worst is a .450-.480 caliber team at bronze right now, I still do all-normal though cuz I don't care but I am quite positive I can get further with gold pack in this instance.

Here's how I look at it, 1 gold pack vs 5 normal pack, I am essentially trading 24/50(48% for a gold), 25/150(16.67% for a diamond), 25/1000(2.5% for a perfect) for a guaranteed gold. The % certainly sounds tempting and solid, but it can certainly whiff at times. My team only gets about 3-4K per season in most case. Now I have to factor if I want a guaranteed upgrade per season or if I don't mind to play the long game. If I want a guaranteed upgrade per season with almost no chance of whiffing, gold pack doesn't sound too bad. My team can benefit from almost all Gold as a low tier bronze team and be a better team next season or I could have a chance to all whiff on those packs and get a lot of low silver or bronze and be the same mediocre team next season. Of course, I could hit the jackpot and rise even further, but one keyword is consistency. If I am all for consistency in this scenario, gold pack doesn't sound so bad. 1 gold player per season doesn't seem that bad of a deal for a F2P pack-only team lacking any gold+ cards.

Considering the team above, gold pack and guaranteed upgrade also means that my income should theoretically increase with the gold player. I could be slowly raising to 4-5k, then maybe 4-6k and so on. My other teams who did well in bronze can get like 7K+ to 10K if lucky in a season. If I bank on pack and I whiff them, I have to factor in that my gambling on normal pack actually affect my future PP income rate as a F2P pack-only team. Gold pack not only provide me with consistency on roster upgrade, it also provide me with consistency on income, which gambling on normal pack will not. Never underestimate the snowball effect.

Also considering the team above, let's say I have average luck on the pack. Over 25 packs I get 2.4 gold, 0.8 diamond and 0.125 perfect. Let's say I get 2 gold and 1 diamond out of them VS 5 gold from gold pack. I am not so sure if the 2 gold + 1 diamond can provide more WAR to me than 5 golds in that period. If I have slightly bad luck and only get 2 gold, then that's 2 gold vs 5 gold producing for me over 5 seasons.

With all the consideration above, I don't think gold packs are are horrendous in any scenario, they have their value in a certain circumstance.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:03 PM   #15
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Gold packs will actually push you to be too good too fast and push to to that silver/gold/diamond level where your team will stagnate and not actually earn all that much PP.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #16
atabakin
All Star Reserve

There are perfectly good historical golds available for 2-3K. If you're not going packs only, it would be better to grab one of those and a couple regular packs for your 5K.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #17
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

The one problem Goliathus missed regarding gold packs is that not all golds are created equal, nor are we guaranteed an even dispersal of positions.

One of the most frustrating things about the all-gold-pack team I still run in 19 was duplicate cards and positional clustering. After 26 packs, I still find myself running 2 bronze and 2 silver outfielders (one of whom also backs up my IF as well, admittedly) because I'm just not pulling anything at that position. Additionally, I was not happy when my 3rd or 4th pack's gold was a duplicate live Max Muncy.

Volume solves theses types of variance issues, but Gold cards cost too much for that to come into play quickly.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team

Last edited by Dogberry99; 05-16-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #18
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

I don't think it should be easier. I also don't feel entitled so....
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #19
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I don't think it should be easier. I also don't feel entitled so....
It doesn't have to be an entitlement issue. Questioning game balance is still allowable. There is no need to read this much into it.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #20
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
The one problem Goliathus missed regarding gold packs is that not all golds are created equal, nor are we guaranteed an even dispersal of positions.

One of the most frustrating things about the all-gold-pack team I still run in 19 was duplicate cards and positional clustering. After 26 packs, I still find myself running 2 bronze and 2 silver outfielders (one of whom also backs up my IF as well, admittedly) because I'm just not pulling anything at that position. Additionally, I was not happy when my 3rd or 4th pack's gold was a duplicate live Max Muncy.

Volume solves theses types of variance issues, but Gold cards cost too much for that to come into play quickly.

To be fair, not all cards are created equal. Even going with the normal pack, you will still get crappy cards of various tiers. 66 Luis Aparicio is arguably better than many Silver SS I am sure. And my 92 Aaron Nola is still disappointing me everyday. Also, I did say mention I only use it for foundation purpose. After 5-10 golds, I switch. I think they are useful in the very early stage of team building, hence "foundation" is the word I used multiple time. The gold pack value will diminish HARD after you have a solid team of gold/silver/few bronze.

----------------------------------------------------

I don't think gold packs will push you very fast to gold and higher. I can't even reach gold in PT19. I guess I could be a fringe gold team cuz that team is a playoff regular in Silver, just can't reach the final.

As for non-pack only, market is so much better. Depending on the gold cards demand, I might get 2-3 useful golds for 5K, much more superior than pack obviously.

Last edited by Goliathus; 05-16-2019 at 04:50 PM.