Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 05-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #1
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)

Speed attribute

Hi all,

Not asked a lot of questions here as I play in an MP league with lots of GMs with very good knowledge of the game and baseball in general, but seems that there is a bit of confusion in regards of the Speed attribute and how it works in game.

Speed = Base Stealing attempts when the bater on the base path. We know this one.

* Does it have any relevance in Tagging from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to Home?

* Does it have any relevance in making a single into a double or a double into a triple? Or is it most "arm" related from the defensive team?

* How Speed correlates to Range in the IF / OF? I have a CF with 40 Speed and 80 Outfield Range (20 - 80 scale) with a healthy +9.9 ZR and 1.031 Efficiency in over 1100 IPs last year, who just dropped to 35 / 75, do I have to expect a severe drop in defense? How he would compare to an 80 / 80 CF for example?

Thanks in advance guys

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkn20 View Post
Hi all,

Not asked a lot of questions here as I play in an MP league with lots of GMs with very good knowledge of the game and baseball in general, but seems that there is a bit of confusion in regards of the Speed attribute and how it works in game.

Speed = Base Stealing attempts when the bater on the base path. We know this one.

* Does it have any relevance in Tagging from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to Home?

* Does it have any relevance in making a single into a double or a double into a triple? Or is it most "arm" related from the defensive team?

* How Speed correlates to Range in the IF / OF? I have a CF with 40 Speed and 80 Outfield Range (20 - 80 scale) with a healthy +9.9 ZR and 1.031 Efficiency in over 1100 IPs last year, who just dropped to 35 / 75, do I have to expect a severe drop in defense? How he would compare to an 80 / 80 CF for example?

Thanks in advance guys

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
What I know for sure is that speed does not impact defense at all. That's why they have range. Range = defensive speed basically.

My guess on basepaths is that is why they have a baserunning attribute. If you play a game, whenever someone tags it will say the "OF yyy has a great arm, but xxxx is an outstanding baserunner. " To me this implies it uses baserunning for any non-steal baserunning calculations.

I also believe speed has nothing to do with doubles and triples, as those both have their own modifiers.

Last edited by Findest2001; 05-18-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:46 AM   #3
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

I have found the SPEED rating to have a lot to do with the tendency to ground into double plays.

SPEED also effects the chance that a player will go for an extra base, with BASE RUNNING more a determinant of success. So high SPEED with low base running is bad, while low SPEED with low base running is a guy who will never try for an extra base.

Last edited by Leo_The_Lip; 05-28-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Leo_The_Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

For the record, I just now called up the Comparison Screen and noticed that this is called 'Baserunning Instincts'.

So that should answer that!