Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 09-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #61
Anton
Minors (Double A)

I know you have said the NHL needs to ok info and what not but......

Any updates? Possibly even and update on the date of future updates?
Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:40 PM   #62
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton View Post
I know you have said the NHL needs to ok info and what not but......

Any updates? Possibly even and update on the date of future updates?
It's coming, REALLY soon. But we can't put a firm date on it quite yet. When we do, don't worry, you'll see it on here, our Facebook, Twitter, Twitch, and they'll be a Newsletter. Make sure you're following us everywhere!
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #63
Anton
Minors (Double A)

I'll take it!

Also, I'm already following everywhere, so someone give this man a raise!
Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #64
Hank1974
Minors (Double A)

Hopefully we see Online Leagues return.
Hank1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #65
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank1974 View Post
Hopefully we see Online Leagues return.
Sorry.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...8&postcount=53
Old 09-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #66
mjerome
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I was excited for FHM2 when you could expand, but was dismayed that the expansion team could not participate in an entry draft before their first season, since that's ridiculous. It made the first season pointless. I used to sim the first season and pretend it didn't happen. And to me, building a winner from the ultimate underdog was the only reason to play, and the first season's the most challenging and fun.

In FHM4 will an expansion team be able to participate in an entry draft before their first season?
mjerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:49 PM   #67
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjerome View Post
I was excited for FHM2 when you could expand, but was dismayed that the expansion team could not participate in an entry draft before their first season, since that's ridiculous. It made the first season pointless. I used to sim the first season and pretend it didn't happen. And to me, building a winner from the ultimate underdog was the only reason to play, and the first season's the most challenging and fun.

In FHM4 will an expansion team be able to participate in an entry draft before their first season?
Unfortunately that is not possible because due to the league year starting July 1st. It's just the way it has to be right now but it is something we'd like to address in the future.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #68
mjerome
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Unfortunately that is not possible because due to the league year starting July 1st. It's just the way it has to be right now but it is something we'd like to address in the future.
I was told that two years ago. How many more years is this going to take?
Old 09-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #69
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
We have only limited work resources, so we work through new features by priority. At some point we will reach the point where we have the time to do something like this.

But with Las Vegas this year you should be able to do what you want to do (at least pretty close to it).
Old 09-07-2017, 06:37 PM   #70
slugger922cubs
Major Leagues

Quote:
Chill out. OOTP in going into version 19 and they still are far from having many things figured out. FHM is going into v 4 and has had considerably fewer resources invested into it.
slugger922cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:19 AM   #71
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger922cubs View Post
Chill out. OOTP in going into version 19 and they still are far from having many things figured out. FHM is going into v 4 and has had considerably fewer resources invested into it.
I understand it, everyone wants his favorite feature to be implemented as soon as possible (I´m not different ) but a long time ago we learned that doing everything at the same time just does not work, so we do a list, sort it by priority and work through it.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #72
mjerome
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger922cubs View Post
I'm sorry if I upset you. My comments were meant for the people who determine the amount of resources that are invested in the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
I understand it, everyone wants his favorite feature to be implemented as soon as possible (I´m not different ) but a long time ago we learned that doing everything at the same time just does not work, so we do a list, sort it by priority and work through it.
I don't want to be misunderstood. This isn't a feature I'm asking for, but a fix for a current mistake. Since 1967, The NHL Expansion rules and structure have always allowed the expansion team to participate in the Entry Draft prior to their first season. IMO a league should at least be close to realistic regarding structure and rules, otherwise it is just a fictional league with e.g. the name of the National Hockey League. I think this a glaring design problem and wanted to make sure my voice was heard. I've purchased every FHM game to date to support the development. I have no interest in online play, additional European leagues or other additions I've seen suggested (not that they are bad). I would just rather development fix current problems before adding anything else.Thank you.

Last edited by mjerome; 09-10-2017 at 02:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #73
Mancandy
Minors (Double A)

Infractions: 0/1 (3)
Quote:
I don't want to be misunderstood. This isn't a feature I'm asking for, but a fix for a current mistake. Since 1967, The NHL Expansion rules and structure have always allowed the expansion team to participate in the Entry Draft prior to their first season. IMO a league should at least be close to realistic regarding structure and rules, otherwise it is just a fictional league with e.g. the name of the National Hockey League. I think this a glaring design problem and wanted to make sure my voice was heard. I've purchased every FHM game to day to support the development. I have no interest in online play, additional European leagues or other additions I've seen suggested (not that they are bad). I would just rather development fix current problems before adding anything else.Thank you.
This. It'd be one thing if there was no option to expand at all, but they already put in the resources to make expansion an option. I wish they would have done it right...I can deal with only being able to add two teams, but not participating in the first entry draft? That makes no sense and, for me, makes it completely unplayable. Especially with the real world NHL expanding, which probably makes more people want to play as an expansion team in the game. I know it made me want to, until I realized it was offensively unrealistic.
Mancandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:18 AM   #74
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancandy View Post
This. It'd be one thing if there was no option to expand at all, but they already put in the resources to make expansion an option. I wish they would have done it right...I can deal with only being able to add two teams, but not participating in the first entry draft? That makes no sense and, for me, makes it completely unplayable. Especially with the real world NHL expanding, which probably makes more people want to play as an expansion team in the game. I know it made me want to, until I realized it was offensively unrealistic.
The problem is that the switch between two seasons is on July 1st, thats the date we can add a new team. The draft is already in June. So we would either need to move the draft to July or move the season switch somehow. Both is not a simple task. We will tackle it someday (as I agree that it counts as a core part of the game) but other, more important stuff, is ahead of it at the moment on our todo list.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:06 PM   #75
Empach
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
The problem is that the switch between two seasons is on July 1st, thats the date we can add a new team. The draft is already in June. So we would either need to move the draft to July or move the season switch somehow. Both is not a simple task. We will tackle it someday (as I agree that it counts as a core part of the game) but other, more important stuff, is ahead of it at the moment on our todo list.
Rather than moving the season switch, could an alternate solution be to add functionality to allow a user to tell the game "next season we'll be adding this expansion team". Then have the draft add an extra team to selections and do the expansion draft on July 1st?
I'm a coder myself so I know there'd be a lot of work involved to make that work, but maybe it's easier than moving the season switch? Just a suggestion for the future.
Empach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #76
scootermojo
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I would suggest just moving the end of the league year from the last day of June to the day after the Stanley Cup Final is over. Maybe it's just me but on a personal level I basically consider the end of the season in any sport to be as soon as the championship game or final playoff series is over and consider everything that happens afterward to be part of the new league year.

Using this past 2016-17 season as an example: the 2017 Stanley Cup Final ended on June 11th.....the season (and league year, in my opinion) are over. On future versions of FHM we could expand the day or two after the Final is over then that way we can have an expansion draft a few days prior to the NHL Entry Draft in which a new expansion team can also take part in. And that's what happened....Final was over on June 11th, expansion draft took place on June 18-20 (obviously only one day needed for FHM) and then the NHL Entry Draft took place on June 23-24 (again, only one day needed for FHM) before rolling onto free agency on July 1st.

Just my two cents....admittedly I'm not a programmer so I don't know how easily this would be to implement...but that would be my solution.
scootermojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:32 AM   #77
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermojo View Post
I would suggest just moving the end of the league year from the last day of June to the day after the Stanley Cup Final is over. Maybe it's just me but on a personal level I basically consider the end of the season in any sport to be as soon as the championship game or final playoff series is over and consider everything that happens afterward to be part of the new league year.
The season ends when contracts end. And that's June 30th.
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #78
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
The season ends when contracts end. And that's June 30th.
That is the main reason, yes.

I think the most promising way is to add the expansion team before the switch, have it participate in the draft and then switch it to active on July 1st. From a coding standpoint it is easy but testing it is a lot of work because the system as of now does only understand active and inactive teams and we need to make sure that the semi-active state does not break anything.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:03 AM   #79
jh95
All Star Starter

Quote:
That is the main reason, yes.

I think the most promising way is to add the expansion team before the switch, have it participate in the draft and then switch it to active on July 1st. From a coding standpoint it is easy but testing it is a lot of work because the system as of now does only understand active and inactive teams and we need to make sure that the semi-active state does not break anything.
I like this idea and already proposed a similar solution in an earlier thread...
And please do not forget historic Expansion Drafts when this solution might be implemented! Thanks!

Last edited by jh95; 09-11-2017 at 11:05 AM.
jh95 is offline   Reply With Quote