Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-04-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

New League Rules

I started a new MLB season, starting in 2010. As always, I took on the role of a small market GM (Pittsburgh Pirates). After the 2011 season wrapped up, the league decided to expand. I had two thoughts about it.

1) That's definitely more interesting than in previous versions. But, also...

2) I really wished that I had known this was going to happen. (perhaps being given an opportunity to vote on this: I definitely wouldn't have chose Memphis and Columbus.)

Two years later, they extended the season by 4 games. Somewhere along the line, interleague play disappeared, and this just happened prior to starting the 2019 season, eliminating minor league option years.

So to phrase point number two into a question: Is there a way to see these rule changes coming in advance, and affect them, without playing in commisioner mode.
Tram2Whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:01 AM   #2
Killing Time
All Star Starter

Change Memphis and Columbus to whatever cities you want. No one will mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
In my best imitation of KT, "I don't know. Would? May? This could have been better. I'm a bit disappointed."
Please don't beat the dead graphics horse.
Killing Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

There's no real way to see them coming in advance, but when setting up your league, there are a lot of options for dynamic leagues that you can check/uncheck. This would prevent certain things from happening.

You will find this on the "Options" tab in your league setup.

Take a look when you get a chance, there are 17 different options you can enable/disable under the evolving league.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

2022- Breaking news! The AL ditches the DH rule. About time.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
numbuh48
Minors (Single A)

2037- Breaking news! The NL adopts the DH rule. WTF?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
mikestack
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram2Whitaker View Post
Two years later, they extended the season by 4 games. Somewhere along the line, interleague play disappeared, and this just happened prior to starting the 2019 season, eliminating minor league option years.
Can you check your league rules page to see if interleague play actually went away? When my league expanded to 166 games, it seemed like interleague stopped being scheduled. I was looking to get this documented when I had a severe computer crash wreck everything....
mikestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestack View Post
Can you check your league rules page to see if interleague play actually went away? When my league expanded to 166 games, it seemed like interleague stopped being scheduled. I was looking to get this documented when I had a severe computer crash wreck everything....
There was still interleague play at first, all the way into September. After 3 or 4 years, they just didn't appear on the schedule anymore. In 2022, they still aren't on the schedule.

BTW, I've jumped ship on the Pirates (and they immediately sunk), and I've taken a job with the expansion Yellow Jackets (originally awarded to Columbus, but I forced the relocation when they had 5 consecutive seasons averaging 12,000 fans per game, to San Antonio)
Old 06-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
Who Killed Kenny?
Major Leagues

This makes me wonder: Has anybody ever been a manager of a team that gets moved to another city? Did you feel sad that'd you have to pack up and move your family and leave all the great things about the city behind? Did you feel sad when you realised that you were sad about an imaginary family and house?
Who Killed Kenny? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
KBLover
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram2Whitaker View Post
So to phrase point number two into a question: Is there a way to see these rule changes coming in advance, and affect them, without playing in commisioner mode.
You don't see them coming even if you are in commish mode - which I find...interesting I just got hit with expansion in one of my leagues and I'm in commish mode in that league. Funny how the expansion teams picked on my team too...I smell a rat.

The league is changing stuff behind my back and signing "the commissioner's" name on it. Who is this other commissioner?!
KBLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
SamuraiProgrammer
Minors (Single A)

Wouldn't it be interesting if the expansion were somehow tied to the profitability of the teams?

Clearly if the teams are barely making out, the league should not expand. The converse of this implies that if the teams are making too many profits, it should fuel expansion.

Carrying the thought further, wouldn't it be interesting if a team were in the red for too long that the league might contract?
If I am answering your question, I MAY BE WRONG, but I will give you the best answer I can. If I am wrong, please someone correct me. If you find out I was wrong, please post here to tell me and for the next person who reads this thread.
SamuraiProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:46 AM   #11
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiProgrammer View Post
Clearly if the teams are barely making out, the league should not expand. The converse of this implies that if the teams are making too many profits, it should fuel expansion.
Well, there have been some suggestions that the real reason for the NL's expansion in 1993, and the $190 million in expansion fees it brought in, was to help pay off the $280 million in collusion damages MLB had to pay to the players' union.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
SamuraiProgrammer
Minors (Single A)

Interesting...
If I am answering your question, I MAY BE WRONG, but I will give you the best answer I can. If I am wrong, please someone correct me. If you find out I was wrong, please post here to tell me and for the next person who reads this thread.
SamuraiProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote