Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
mars001
All Star Reserve

I'd love to see a big animation focused patch

I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining... I'm just asking.

The animations keep getting better but, I feel there is a lot of lingering issues that should be fixed.

There are many boundary issues where the ball and/or players go through the wall. So many reports of this in the bugs forum.

Fielders will often hold on to the ball for way too long before throwing

The ball during bunts and short grounders "glitches", disappearing and reappearing further away, often way past the fielder.

The prompt to advance the runner is broken again. This seemed fixed for a little while, but I haven't seen it work in a very long time.

We've heard about hundreds of new animations that didn't make it into the initial build. Will these be added?
mars001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

As much as I like the animations, I feel like they should be at the bottom of any priority lists for fixes since they don't affect the outcome of the game.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:20 PM   #3
Reed
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
As much as I like the animations, I feel like they should be at the bottom of any priority lists for fixes since they don't affect the outcome of the game.
They do a whole lot of fixes that do not affect the outcome of a game so I do not know if this belongs at the bottom of a priority list. Agree though that in general, items that affect the outcome should be at or near the top of the priority list.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
Harry Hibbs
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Respectfully disagree

The 3D makes the game way more compelling for me and I'm fine with the game engine / outcome of the plays. Very true to real life, at least, that's my experience.

Note to the devs: don't listen to Dyzalot!!
Harry Hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:58 PM   #5
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Although I agree that anything that impacts the game's simulation value should be top priority, I also agree with the original post: overall, the 3D is better, but I am still seeing a lot of the same issues he noted.

And as Harry stated, the 3D is a major part of the game for some folks at this point and even when you do a search for the game, I notice that pictures of the in-game 3D are often front and center. I also agree that the game as a sim is outstanding; really, OOTP 20 is the best version of the game to date.

With that, there are a number of issues with the existing 3D that seem to have been present in 19. In addition, I think the game has reached the stage where the 3D game experience, including the stadiums and actual player models, needs to take another step forward.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #6
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Markus needs to bring it all to the highest level with "The Show" animation/graphic style.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

There is a forum especially for 3D in the beta section and trust me, these get reported and fixed.

I expect another leap next patch as Matt has been steadily fixing them.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #8
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

That's easy enough to change

" I notice that pictures of the in-game 3D are often front and center. "

You have the ability (in game) to create your own camera perspectives. For example, Silvam's Tiger Stadium has a camera down the left field line...about where I could afford tickets! . If you're tired of front and center, make your own cameras and enjoy. I'm thinking that a dugout perspective camera would truly be immersive. The only drawback: I don't think camera views are exchangeable between models...yet. Don't worry, as soon as I finish this post, I'm suggesting it!

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #9
zappa1
All Star Starter

For me, the biggest thing in 3D animation would be for the camera to "follow the ball". Also auto zoom on the fielder while following the ball. Take the DP. Zoom in on the 2nd base bag as the shortstop takes the throw from the second baseman, then switch from there to a shot of the first baseman stretching for the throw while the runner is reaching the bag. Things like that are what I'm waiting for. So, follow the ball and camera switching are tops in 3D for me.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #10
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hibbs View Post
Respectfully disagree

The 3D makes the game way more compelling for me and I'm fine with the game engine / outcome of the plays. Very true to real life, at least, that's my experience.

Note to the devs: don't listen to Dyzalot!!
"Very true" isn't good enough. I want "true". I want to be able to look at 100 boxscores and game logs from 50 random MLB games and 50 random OOTP games that are simming MLB and not be able to discern the difference. I guess I'm basically asking for OOTP to be able to pass a "baseball turing" test. To me that seems like that should be the ultimate goal of a game that bills itself as a realistic simulation of MLB.

Just my "two cents".
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:47 PM   #11
itshim99
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
"Very true" isn't good enough. I want "true". I want to be able to look at 100 boxscores and game logs from 50 random MLB games and 50 random OOTP games that are simming MLB and not be able to discern the difference. I guess I'm basically asking for OOTP to be able to pass a "baseball turing" test. To me that seems like that should be the ultimate goal of a game that bills itself as a realistic simulation of MLB.

Just my "two cents".
100% agree. The 3D is nice and cool to have, but indistinguishability in terms of statistical output should be the main objective.

itshim99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #12
canadian content
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim99 View Post
100% agree. The 3D is nice and cool to have, but indistinguishability in terms of statistical output should be the main objective.

Forgive me if I am mistaken but I thought the work put into 3D animation would have no bearing on the resources or time spent on improving the other facets of the game?
canadian content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #13
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian content View Post
Forgive me if I am mistaken but I thought the work put into 3D animation would have no bearing on the resources or time spent on improving the other facets of the game?
Depends which parts of the animation. Some of it (the stuff like improved crowd effects, or updated stadiums, or some stuff with camera movements) don't interact with the rest of the work. But most of the items (player movements, timing, ball flights, etc...) it does happen that the time I spend there is time I'm not working on game logic. But sometimes they are related, too - If there are plays that the fielder gets to too easily and can't make the play, that potentially is something to investigate from the game logic side too. The in-game engine has definitely improved because of the 3D, although always more that we can do to improve on it. And I would agree with the above that would be awesome to pass a "baseball turing test" someday
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote