Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-05-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
Steve509
Minors (Double A)

Lightbulb Scouting Suggestion

Scouting is such a significant aspect of every major sport, and I would love for scouting to become a very important aspect of this game.

For the most part my suggestions come across as an overhaul(and I don't know if something like this can be done for OOTP16, at least in full).

First suggestion is having a scouting staff, headed by a scouting director. I'd like the ability to have a minimum of 8 scouts and up to a maximum of 14, this does not include the scouting director.

I'd like to see more complex scouting assignments. I would to send my scouts continents, countries, regions (such as Northeastern U.S. West Coast U.S. etc...) , sub-regions(such as states, provinces, districts etc), and individual teams.

From the individual team, your scout will watch both teams to generate an over assessment, unless your focused on one specific team(and player(s) ) where the assessment will be more accurate.

I would like to scouts have specialties. That being some scouts are better for major league assignments, minor league assignments, developmental leagues. Other scouts will be better at amateur side with scouting of colleges, universities, junior colleges and high school.

The scouts that have those suited roles will produce more accurate player assessments obviously, and if you want to scout individual players, you will be able to get a dynamic assessment of their personality instead of just a "general" assessment as we see now.

I don't think this is allowed in real life (regarding Houston Astros and Brady Aiken) but if it is allowed, perhaps allow teams to work out individual players for fitness assessment.

I would like to see the scouting budget account for travel costs, and when would send scouts on assignments they can be for periods of a week, 2 weeks, a month, 3 months, 6 months, a year and indefinitely. Those all factor in on how accurate player assessments will be for the areas they scout.

The scouting director basically organizes all your scouts work and will offer his overall assessment of players as well, as well as sending your messages throughout the season to shortlist potential prospects to draft.

Please feel free to comment, critique, and add to any ideas within my post.

Last edited by Steve509; 10-06-2014 at 01:56 AM.
Steve509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Do you play FM? Because that sounds a lot like the FM system, which IMO involves too much micromanagement.

In my FM save I happen to have about 14 scouts and I do a lot of "Wait, do I already have a guy covering Romania? Is there a more suitable person I can have watching League 2? F**k... that guy has been idle for 4 months and I didn't realize it."

Maybe a lot of people really enjoy that, but it just creates drag on the game for me.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
Do you play FM? Because that sounds a lot like the FM system, which IMO involves too much micromanagement.

In my FM save I happen to have about 14 scouts and I do a lot of "Wait, do I already have a guy covering Romania? Is there a more suitable person I can have watching League 2? F**k... that guy has been idle for 4 months and I didn't realize it."

Maybe a lot of people really enjoy that, but it just creates drag on the game for me.
As long as it becomes an option to have that huge of a scouting department, I would be all for it. I like playing different types of worlds and I even have one called "Micromanager" where I play every game out and handle every transaction from Rookie ball up through the majors. I haven't gotten very far in it -- halfway through my second season -- but it gets me more immersed in the game and I have started to understand a lot of things I wasn't familiar with in the previous versions of OOTP.
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
Steve509
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post

I've played FM briefly, but generated most of my idea off of Eastside Hockey Manager 07(which was created by the same developers as FM, iirc).

I think it would be fair to have an option to expand scouting, or to leave it as is, or at least have the game's AI take control, much like you'd leave your minor league managers to promote/demote, create lineups etc. I definitely see the problem of micromanagement that could take place for players who wouldn't want a complex scouting system that needs to be watched carefully. I would hope to find a compromise between the two in a perfect world. I do appreciate the critique.

Last edited by Steve509; 10-08-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
Steve509
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSL Commish View Post
As long as it becomes an option to have that huge of a scouting department, I would be all for it. I like playing different types of worlds and I even have one called "Micromanager" where I play every game out and handle every transaction from Rookie ball up through the majors. I haven't gotten very far in it -- halfway through my second season -- but it gets me more immersed in the game and I have started to understand a lot of things I wasn't familiar with in the previous versions of OOTP.
I agree about the idea of having an option to the expanded scouting(This would be the best compromise if this idea was adopted). I forgot how much micromanagement is involved in these type of systems, which One Post Wonder mentioned could make for a less enjoyable experience for some players.

I think after playing Eastside Hockey Manager 07 for so many years(in which I still play), I just grew used to having a scouting system that had to be managed. I have a custom game from OOTP 13 saved much like you have with every little detailed touched over. When I created the initial post, I was just thinking how great it would be to have an advanced scouting system intertwined with the feeder leagues of that games universe. Funny enough, when I play with a MLB roster set, I let my minor league managers make some of the decisions for me.