Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

FHM 6 Available Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #41
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer
 
jaysdailydose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,301
Thanks: 1,495
Thanked 861x in 549 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanmatt View Post
I try to keep it so any combination of two years of scouting will be valued more than any one year alone, if that makes sense.

That said I have no real problem using ratings a bit as well, and have gone as high as 10% with them. I justify it because players are not totally scouted by statistics in reality. There are plenty of visual things scouts notice as well, such as how well a player physically swings the bat. Larger, more muscular guys are more likely to have more power. Stuff like that. Since we can't "watch" our players I consider ratings to be more of an evaluation on those terms. Still hardly ever have the AI eval on them though.
See this is where I might differ a bit.

I love the first idea and totally get the thought behind it.

But I differ in that unless you turn ratings off you see the power, gap, etc ratings. (I've always called them "tool ratings" but that may be simplifying a bit.)

I definitely have no issues with that eval scale...we all want our info presented and utilized differently!

Everyone's mileage may vary. I play nearly every game out, so I am probably much more likely to notice a genie scout...and then I notice the talent drop half a season before it starts manifesting statistically and I hate the league going forward.
jaysdailydose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #42
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer
 
megamanmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lakeville, Minnesota
Posts: 2,416
Thanks: 202
Thanked 708x in 435 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
See this is where I might differ a bit.

I love the first idea and totally get the thought behind it.

But I differ in that unless you turn ratings off you see the power, gap, etc ratings. (I've always called them "tool ratings" but that may be simplifying a bit.)

I definitely have no issues with that eval scale...we all want our info presented and utilized differently!

Everyone's mileage may vary. I play nearly every game out, so I am probably much more likely to notice a genie scout...and then I notice the talent drop half a season before it starts manifesting statistically and I hate the league going forward.

I use 1-5 rating scale too, so from a me stand point, it makes it harder to determine the "meaning" of a player's ratings without the accompanying stats. I try and keep ratings as vague for me as possible.
__________________
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #43
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer
 
jaysdailydose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,301
Thanks: 1,495
Thanked 861x in 549 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanmatt View Post
I use 1-5 rating scale too, so from a me stand point, it makes it harder to determine the "meaning" of a player's ratings without the accompanying stats. I try and keep ratings as vague for me as possible.
The way I rationalize it is that any scout working for me would be damn good at paperwork and since they are solely evaluating off stats they are just giving me a round number for the players expected contribution...
jaysdailydose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #44
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer
 
stealofhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,026
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 109
Thanked 453x in 341 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
after your draft, you can delete and go from there.
Could you expound on this or link to a thread that talks about deleting league history? Does this just delete stats or all player contract and service time as well?
stealofhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #45
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer
 
jaysdailydose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,301
Thanks: 1,495
Thanked 861x in 549 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealofhome View Post
Could you expound on this or link to a thread that talks about deleting league history? Does this just delete stats or all player contract and service time as well?
Hrmm. If you have a league that has played I am *pretty* sure it keeps service time and contract, it just removes all the notations from the history that would show them signing the deals and the like.

There is the separate option for clearing contracts and service time, of course.

Example: I just started my MLB Forever (16 team fictional MLB, 1901) and I simmed 1871-1901 and then whacked the history. The guys still had their correct service time, but I inaugural drafted, so I'm sure their new contracts were by their demand. Don't QUOTE me, but I'm pretty sure if you were to not do an inaugural draft, keeping the teams as they were at the end of the sim, and JUST nuke the entire history, their contracts and service time hold as they were.

I'd have to setup a test to confirm, but I'm fairly sure in all of my tests that is what I've seen. I do an inaugural draft in almost every league to set markets, though...
jaysdailydose is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
stealofhome (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #46
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer
 
The Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: All alone
Posts: 12,612
Thanks: 1,790
Thanked 5,052x in 2,606 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
M Dei.
I talked to him and he admitted that he "might have been" the original guy. He said it was a long time ago and he's not real sure and it's not that important.
__________________
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #47
lere2001
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 46
Thanks: 12
Thanked 9x in 8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
And I fully agree with the idea of no roster limits for minor league teams.
May I ask why?

I just set the minor league roster limits to the rl limits:

AAA-A: 25 players
SA: 30 players
RL: 35 players

I was just wondering what effects that may have on my game?
lere2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #48
mgoetze
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 205
Thanks: 18
Thanked 63x in 35 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lere2001 View Post
May I ask why?

I just set the minor league roster limits to the rl limits:

AAA-A: 25 players
SA: 30 players
RL: 35 players

I was just wondering what effects that may have on my game?
The effect is that the AI will screw up and release players it shouldn't release.
mgoetze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #49
SirMichaelJordan
All Star Starter
 
SirMichaelJordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,906
Thanks: 1,911
Thanked 910x in 552 posts
Yea I'll just set the age limits. The AI does a great job at keeping a reasonable roster size without a limit. Its up to the human player to not go bonkers.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 05-23-2014 at 05:59 PM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #50
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer
 
The Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: All alone
Posts: 12,612
Thanks: 1,790
Thanked 5,052x in 2,606 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lere2001 View Post
May I ask why?

I just set the minor league roster limits to the rl limits:

AAA-A: 25 players
SA: 30 players
RL: 35 players

I was just wondering what effects that may have on my game?
The AI can't deal with minor league roster limits in a rational manner yet. It starts shedding quality prospects.
__________________
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #51
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,124
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,365
Thanked 2,136x in 1,218 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
I'm of the opinion that the rating scale doesn't matter as long as you are having the AI evaluate solely on production.

When I add even 5% of the evaluation towards ratings, I see the issue with the AI seeing a decline before it actually manifests statistically (the crystal ball.)

I use the 20-80 but I have 0/67/22/11 as my evaluation settings, and evaluate across the entire league instead of by positions. Everyone seems to have even information, and you don't have the mystical genie scouts.

Just my two cents...

(Also is a way to bridge that initial stats-only "shock" to the system that The Wolf spoke of...)
I have always wondered...why is it 0/67/22/11? Why not just 0/70/20/10?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #52
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,124
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,365
Thanked 2,136x in 1,218 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanmatt View Post
I try to keep it so any combination of two years of scouting will be valued more than any one year alone, if that makes sense.

That said I have no real problem using ratings a bit as well, and have gone as high as 10% with them. I justify it because players are not totally scouted by statistics in reality. There are plenty of visual things scouts notice as well, such as how well a player physically swings the bat. Larger, more muscular guys are more likely to have more power. Stuff like that. Since we can't "watch" our players I consider ratings to be more of an evaluation on those terms. Still hardly ever have the AI eval on them though.
The truth is, I think the AI uses ratings to some degree no matter what...is this true? If so, does it make things qual between the human and AI? I am OK with the ratings evaluation being at zero...but I will not turn off my scouted ratings.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #53
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer
 
The Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: All alone
Posts: 12,612
Thanks: 1,790
Thanked 5,052x in 2,606 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
I'm of the opinion that the rating scale doesn't matter as long as you are having the AI evaluate solely on production.

When I add even 5% of the evaluation towards ratings, I see the issue with the AI seeing a decline before it actually manifests statistically (the crystal ball.)

I use the 20-80 but I have 0/67/22/11 as my evaluation settings, and evaluate across the entire league instead of by positions. Everyone seems to have even information, and you don't have the mystical genie scouts.

Just my two cents...

(Also is a way to bridge that initial stats-only "shock" to the system that The Wolf spoke of...)
This is an excellent point that bears repeating.
__________________
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #54
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer
 
The Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: All alone
Posts: 12,612
Thanks: 1,790
Thanked 5,052x in 2,606 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
The truth is, I think the AI uses ratings to some degree no matter what...is this true? If so, does it make things qual between the human and AI? I am OK with the ratings evaluation being at zero...but I will not turn off my scouted ratings.
No. There is a switch to force it to use whatever criteria you tell it to use.
__________________
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #55
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer
 
The Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: All alone
Posts: 12,612
Thanks: 1,790
Thanked 5,052x in 2,606 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I have always wondered...why is it 0/67/22/11? Why not just 0/70/20/10?
It's a matter of weighting choice. I use 0/50/33/17 myself. Try a few stats-only leagues and see which weighting you like. As long as the first number is 0, and the following numbers each decline in value, you're somewhere in the ballpark.
__________________
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:23 PM   #56
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,124
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,365
Thanked 2,136x in 1,218 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
No. There is a switch to force it to use whatever criteria you tell it to use.
I was under the impression that when the aren't enough stats...such as at the start of a season....the AI will rely on ratings somewhat no matter
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #57
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer
 
The Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: All alone
Posts: 12,612
Thanks: 1,790
Thanked 5,052x in 2,606 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I was under the impression that when the aren't enough stats...such as at the start of a season....the AI will rely on ratings somewhat no matter
Since the basic instructions for a stats only league specify simming it for four or five seasons before you actually start playing it so that every player from the MLB to the feeder leagues all have stats, that can't possibly be an issue.
__________________
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #58
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,124
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,365
Thanked 2,136x in 1,218 posts
I mean in say the month of april or may....for the current year weight
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #59
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,124
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,365
Thanked 2,136x in 1,218 posts
what about speed and defense? How is this taken into account by the AI?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #60
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer
 
The Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: All alone
Posts: 12,612
Thanks: 1,790
Thanked 5,052x in 2,606 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Those are questions for Markus.
__________________
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:28 PM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments