Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #1
frangipard
OOTP Roster Team

The end of international amateur free agents

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I wanted to start a thread to get any ideas people may have.

It's widely expected that in the next year or two, an international amateur draft will be put in place, and the free market in Dominican 16 year olds will come to an end. The Yankees and Red Sox both exceeded the spending limit this past year, and the Dodgers and Phillies are expected to this year, reportedly because they all expect the two-year ban on signings over $300,000 will be irrelevant soon.

Since OOTP doesn't have the ability to create a second draft, what, if anything would you do to try and recreate this? My initial thought is to create a feeder league that produces 16 year olds ... but where do they go? If I feed them into the regular draft, will that affect the talent pool of that draft?

Any other workarounds?
frangipard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

You can 1) eliminate international free agents in your league and 2) allow your league to create foreign players.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangipard View Post
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I wanted to start a thread to get any ideas people may have.

It's widely expected that in the next year or two, an international amateur draft will be put in place, and the free market in Dominican 16 year olds will come to an end. The Yankees and Red Sox both exceeded the spending limit this past year, and the Dodgers and Phillies are expected to this year, reportedly because they all expect the two-year ban on signings over $300,000 will be irrelevant soon.

Since OOTP doesn't have the ability to create a second draft, what, if anything would you do to try and recreate this? My initial thought is to create a feeder league that produces 16 year olds ... but where do they go? If I feed them into the regular draft, will that affect the talent pool of that draft?

Any other workarounds?
if you are using generated amateurs, you could have the game generate more rounds. That way it will create the same amount of amateurs to go along with your feeder league

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
You can 1) eliminate international free agents in your league and 2) allow your league to create foreign players.
oh you mean change the countries for the amateur draft in the settings?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:47 PM   #4
frangipard
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
You can 1) eliminate international free agents in your league
Yes, obviously; the question is what do I replace them with.

Quote:
and 2) allow your league to create foreign players.
Not sure what you mean by this. If you're saying to just change the settings to make more the June 6 draftees come from foreign countries, my assumption is that all that will do is reduce the overall talent level.

IOW, the current setup creates X number of players with a ML-level projected grade of 50, and Y number of players with that grade coming in as international amateurs. X+Y=Z, which is the total number of prospects entering the system.

If you just delete the international amateur FA system, you get rid of Y number of prospects. Changing the flags on them doesn't mean you haven't reduced the talent pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
if you are using generated amateurs, you could have the game generate more rounds. That way it will create the same amount of amateurs to go along with your feeder league.
Does adding more rounds generate more actual prospects, or just more players?

i.e. the real life MLB could make the draft 200 rounds, but it doesn't mean that the high schools and colleges in America will be producing more good players.
frangipard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangipard View Post
Yes, obviously; the question is what do I replace them with.

Not sure what you mean by this. If you're saying to just change the settings to make more the June 6 draftees come from foreign countries, my assumption is that all that will do is reduce the overall talent level.

IOW, the current setup creates X number of players with a ML-level projected grade of 50, and Y number of players with that grade coming in as international amateurs. X+Y=Z, which is the total number of prospects entering the system.

If you just delete the international amateur FA system, you get rid of Y number of prospects. Changing the flags on them doesn't mean you haven't reduced the talent pool.

Does adding more rounds generate more actual prospects, or just more players?

i.e. the real life MLB could make the draft 200 rounds, but it doesn't mean that the high schools and colleges in America will be producing more good players.
OOTP maintains balance - the game keeps a good level of talent in your league. If you have a lot of very good players in your league, your draft pools will be weaker because the league is becoming top heavy with talent. Same thing the other way.

Changing the amount of players, or where they come from will not reduce the overall talent of your league.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:38 AM   #6
Mancandy
Minors (Double A)

Infractions: 0/1 (3)
Even though you can't schedule two drafts at once, you can have two drafts in one year. I just tried it in 16, I assume it works in 15 too.

Run the traditional amateur draft in June, and then simply go into your settings and schedule another draft for July. Obviously, you'll have to alter the player creation options to give you 16 year old international players instead of 18-22 Americans and Canadians, just transfer over the percentages from the international player origin. And you'll probably want to shorten the draft, to the expected 4 rounds in real life or whatever you prefer. You also might want to turn off advance signing, just because I don't know how the game would handle having unsigned players and the accompanying compensation picks from two different drafts...come to think of it, you might want to have the international draft before the domestic draft's signing deadline so you don't get compensation picks in the latter. Just make sure you change all of the settings back before the next draft!

The only drawback is that, unfortunately, the players go right into your minor league system instead of the international complex. It's not as big an issue for franchise that have teams in the DSL and/or VSL, but it's obviously not ideal. At least it's only four players.

I have no idea if this has any unwanted long term side effects, so you might want to run a few test games yourself, but it appears it's possible to have both drafts.
Mancandy is offline   Reply With Quote