Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - New to the Game?

OOTP 15 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 12-03-2014, 10:57 PM   #21
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehibb View Post
Thanks TGH.

I'd just about figured the force start thing out by the time you replied but thanks for the other info too!

With the 7 day lineups, do you have to set them every 7 days? And why do they offer more control in terms of making sure the guys you want to start actually start?

I think we have a communication break down.
Depth Chart= Who starts
Lineup= Where they hit in the batting order
This is based on what these things are called in OOTP.
7-day lineups allow you to choose both and exactly who and when. Using the Lineup screen for RHB, LHB and DH you set how often players are replaced for a start but the AI puts them in the lineup.

Also, back to player dev. Theoretically then, any young 20 rated guy could be signed blind and there's a chance he could become a stud? Are there any tells at all as to which guys might become top players in the future?

Correct. If you have ratings in the 1-100 range there is a LOT of difference between 20/20 players. In the 1-10 and 1-20 range they are still different but it is not as obvious. I look for players that need 1-3 POT bumps to become ML players.
So a LF/RF with a 4CON/3POW/5EYE
If he gets 2 CON bumps and an EYE bump he could be a ML player. Some players will keep receiving increases to their POT and then grow into it. The example above can turn into
9CON/7POW/9EYE
You will need a LOT of luck but it does happen.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #22
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
TGH i never knew you could set player strategy by right-clicking. Thanx. Would have saved me sometime for doing guys in the minors on my 40 man. i always went to the level/team - strategy - player strategy.
Awesome, so many nifty shortcuts in the game.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:13 AM   #23
davehibb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks again TGH.

That clears things up for me.

Having signed a few upgrades in the pitching department and force starting certain guys I headed into season 3 with the Cubs and simmed a month at a time.

We put up 92 wins and were a wild card team in the playoffs losing a heartbreaker at the bottom of the 10th against Washington when our closer couldn't seal the deal.

The Cubs' 2nd year over .500 in the 3 seasons i've been in charge after going 5 seasons under .500 including my 1st year in charge.

I need to try and upgrade our offense, though I just threw $22m a year at Strasbourg in FA >_>

Anyway, I think I'm getting a feel for things now and I'm thankful for all the help guys.

I think the next bit I need to read up on is the service/salaries/arbitration/rule 5/FA and all the financial side of things.

I know after some of the FA signings I made I was $2m in the red for budgets but I cut an overpaid backup catcher to break even again. Is there like a soft limit in terms over going over the payroll projection as long as you get back under it?

I'm playing in commish mode at the moment whilst I get used to things, so I wasn't sure if it let me go over briefly as I am the commish?
davehibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #24
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Playing in commissioner mode lets you get away with most anything. Plus you can edit the players' stats, or remove injuries (not as straight forward a process as one might think, I learned).

So a lot of the restrictions are being over-ridden. That said, commissioner mode is good way to learn the game.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #25
davehibb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
Playing in commissioner mode lets you get away with most anything. Plus you can edit the players' stats, or remove injuries (not as straight forward a process as one might think, I learned).

So a lot of the restrictions are being over-ridden. That said, commissioner mode is good way to learn the game.
I've not done anything intentionally and when I noticed my budget had gone into the red I checked the league finance report and noticed that another 2 teams were also, so I wondered if there was a 'soft cap' as such where you can go slightly over and then get back under by cutting someone... Which brings me onto something that confuses me... Reading the manual it says all contracts are guaranteed money, yet when I cur someone it puts the money back into the budget???
Old 12-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #26
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
I've not done anything intentionally and when I noticed my budget had gone into the red I checked the league finance report and noticed that another 2 teams were also, so I wondered if there was a 'soft cap' as such where you can go slightly over and then get back under by cutting someone... Which brings me onto something that confuses me... Reading the manual it says all contracts are guaranteed money, yet when I cur someone it puts the money back into the budget???
MLB is softcap, so you can over until your owner complains.

How the money is allocated to signing current players and renewals is not from the same pot. This can be confusing even after playing the game for 10+ years like me. Essentially, the money is spent and shows up as an expense in the Profit and Loss statement. However, the budgets gets increased by the amount of the cut current salary. It is tricky and does not operate the way real life budgets and expenses work, so you'll simply have to accept what the game generates as the financial answer.

So the money is guaranteed and reduces your current year's profits, but it is also put back into the salary budgets.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #27
davehibb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks Leo.

That makes sense now.

One thing that I am finding annoying, unless I'm missing something, is a lack of notification when player and personnel contracts are about to expire...

I may have turned something off in that regard as I've messed with the news filters but yeah, is there a way to get notifications to extend staff/players before their contracts actually expire?
Old 12-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #28
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

For players I either check Front Office->Salaries. On that screen it shows how long they are contracted for.
You can also use Front Office->Upcoming Free Agents?? Something like that. This will tell you what players are set to be Free Agents.

I do not know a simple way to check the coaches. I do not play with them. Someone should know one though.

Be careful of (arb) players, because you can demote them, the game cannot project their service time. If you see (arb) next to a player go into their profile and check their service time. These rules are funky and can take a while to get used to.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #29
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Thanks Leo.

That makes sense now.

One thing that I am finding annoying, unless I'm missing something, is a lack of notification when player and personnel contracts are about to expire...

I may have turned something off in that regard as I've messed with the news filters but yeah, is there a way to get notifications to extend staff/players before their contracts actually expire?
Don't worry about coaches and scouts and such. If one leaves, you will likely be able to hire a better one. I always sign these guys to 90% of what they ask for, and for 5 years. This keeps me from having to do it all the time.

The arbitration issue and player option years can make for annoyances. Try never to offer player option years.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:06 AM   #30
davehibb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I guess coming from Football Manager, I'm used to getting a memo about contracts expiring at the start of the year, then with 6 months to go, then a month and then a week automatically.

It's probably a good idea to address all contracts at the start of each season and look into using manager notes too.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #31
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

The good news is player contracts always expire at the same time - at the end of the season, I believe when you see Free Agents Listing on the schedule. Coaches are a bit different and I'm not as sure. I highly recommend the team screen - Front Office- Salaries tab to keep an eye on whose contract will be expiring this season and who's good for a few years.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote