Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - New to the Game?

OOTP 15 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 11-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #1
bd001217
Minors (Single A)

League of all star teams

Hello - I am new to OOTP, bought v 15 the other day, and I'm messing around with historical sims and having fun...but I had a question

I would like to create an 8 team league (to start), two divisions...no problem there.

But here is my question..

I would like to be able to have each team be composed of "all time all star" players. I'd like to stock each team with players from their best seasons.

For example, I'd like to have Babe Ruth (1921 or 27) on a team, along with Tom Seaver (69), Willie Mays, Johnny Bench (each using THEIR best years) etc.

Another team might have Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb, Hank Aaron, etc, each from THEIR best years.

How would I go about doing this? Basically, taking players from different seasons and putting them together to form one all star team, and have each team in my league be put together in that way?

Any help toward this is greatly appreciated. I tried to search the forums for this type of question but couldn't find anything. If someone knows of this question being answered and could provide a link, that would be great as well.

Thank you!
bd001217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd001217 View Post
Hello - I am new to OOTP, bought v 15 the other day, and I'm messing around with historical sims and having fun...but I had a question

I would like to create an 8 team league (to start), two divisions...no problem there.

But here is my question..

I would like to be able to have each team be composed of "all time all star" players. I'd like to stock each team with players from their best seasons.

For example, I'd like to have Babe Ruth (1921 or 27) on a team, along with Tom Seaver (69), Willie Mays, Johnny Bench (each using THEIR best years) etc.

Another team might have Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb, Hank Aaron, etc, each from THEIR best years.

How would I go about doing this? Basically, taking players from different seasons and putting them together to form one all star team, and have each team in my league be put together in that way?

Any help toward this is greatly appreciated. I tried to search the forums for this type of question but couldn't find anything. If someone knows of this question being answered and could provide a link, that would be great as well.

Thank you!
Create a fictional league with the amount of teams you want. Set up everything else you want and start the league. Make sure you are in Commish mode. Go to list all players and mass delete them all. The little bubble then right click.
Next create a text file with each players baseball ref id. The year ultimately wont matter but nothing will hurt choosing their best overall season.
When you import from teh text file you will see other options one of which is players based on peak seasons. you probably want that option. i can provide screenshots tomorrow.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
bd001217
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Create a fictional league with the amount of teams you want. Set up everything else you want and start the league. Make sure you are in Commish mode. Go to list all players and mass delete them all. The little bubble then right click.
Next create a text file with each players baseball ref id. The year ultimately wont matter but nothing will hurt choosing their best overall season.
When you import from teh text file you will see other options one of which is players based on peak seasons. you probably want that option. i can provide screenshots tomorrow.
That would be AWESOME, thank you!

I think I could use the screen shots, I tried following the steps as you have them, but I can not find the List All Players function. I'll keep looking. I see the search feature, but can't bring up any players

Thanks again, looking forward to the screen shots, thank you for taking the time

Last edited by bd001217; 11-05-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

I thought there was an All Time Team mod around here somewhere.
I looked in the mods forums, on OOTPmods.com and Jazzracks site, I found one but I do not know what version it is from. I would check the mods forum, there may be a quick start that does 90+% of what you want.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
bd001217
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
I thought there was an All Time Team mod around here somewhere.
I looked in the mods forums, on OOTPmods.com and Jazzracks site, I found one but I do not know what version it is from. I would check the mods forum, there may be a quick start that does 90+% of what you want.
I have seen (and played) a quick start game in which the best players in the history of each franchise are on the roster of said franchise, and the league itself is organized the way the majors are now. That's not quite what I meant in my question.

The quick start game i'm referring to above has the best players in the history of (say) the Mets all on the Mets roster. Same with every other team.

What I would like to do is put together a league of (say) four teams, each of which will be composed of all time greats at each position, but without regard for which teams these players actually played for in real life. Also, each player would be taken using his best individual season.

For example, one team might have Tom Seaver from 1969, Johnny Bench from 1970, Lou Gehrig from 1927, Joe Morgan from 1975, Honus Wagner 1908, Mike Schmidt from 1980...the outfield might have Hank Aaron from 1957, Joe Dimaggio in CF from his best year and Babe Ruth in RF from 1921.

I'd also like to know how the info on these players should be formatted in the text file so that OOTP15 can import the data successfully

Last edited by bd001217; 11-07-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
The Game
Hall Of Famer

1. create fictional league
2. name your teams
3. Go to Advanced Options and change what you want
4. start game
5. go to MLB (league name) player info list Al MLB players (while in Commish Mode) select the bubble to the left of bubble right click delete all
6. After creating your text file of all the players you want ( see attached) Go to MLB Player Info Free Agents.
From the drop down menu select import historical players select the historical database.odb (it is in the ootp stats folder if it does not come up with that folder automatically)
7. select the texct file you made and other options.
8. import
9. manually assign all players to the teams you want or let AI sign them.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Attached Files
File Type: txt White Sox 25.txt (397 Bytes, 134 views)

"Stay Strong"

Old 11-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #7
bd001217
Minors (Single A)

Well, I think I've got most of this figured out... thanks to the above posts!

I've been able to import individual players from their best seasons into a draft pool, and I found out how to format the info in a text file which can then be imported... you use the baseball-reference short name for the player, followed by a comma and the year you'd like to apply... for example, to import Babe Ruth from 1921, you would use: ruthba01,1921

You can list as many players as you want in that format in a text file, and then import the text file.

Last edited by bd001217; 11-07-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:58 AM   #8
bd001217
Minors (Single A)

One thing I'm not sure about though, I've imported a couple of players who don't show up in the player list. I think it may have something to do with when the player was active, because the retired players show up but some of the recently active (although retired) players I've successfully imported don't show up on the master list, even though they do show up when I do a search for their name.

For example, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Brooks Robinson show up on my list, but Frank "Big Hurt" Thomas does not. Neither do Wade Boggs or Mike Piazza.

I'll get a screen shot in the next day or so and show you what I'm looking at. Maybe it's something simple I'm missing.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:55 AM   #9
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For example, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Brooks Robinson show up on my list, but Frank "Big Hurt" Thomas does not. Neither do Wade Boggs or Mike Piazza.
well i know Thomas is thomafr04 not 01 as far as boggs and piazza what year are you choosing
Boggs should be boggswa01 then the year & Piazza piazzmi01

"Stay Strong"

Old 11-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
bd001217
Minors (Single A)

Screen 1

here's a screen cap showing a partial list of players I've imported so far. I have to check "include retired players" for this list to appear, otherwise, it's blank.

Ooops, file too large, I'll chop it down a bit
Attached Images

Last edited by bd001217; 11-07-2014 at 09:24 PM. Reason: need to attach jpg
Old 11-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #11
bd001217
Minors (Single A)

Screen 2

Now, when I do a "search" for "Mattingly", for example, he shows up. The system told me that I imported him OK, but he doesn't show up on the master list of players from the first screen cap.
Attached Images
Old 11-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #12
bd001217
Minors (Single A)

Frank Thomas, Mike Piazza and Wade Boggs are three examples of players who I supposedly imported successfully (according to the OOTPB prompts), but who fail to show up on the list. I double checked their bbref short names and I had them all correct (I actually went to bbref and copied and pasted their player ID name into my text files, then added the year).

If it means anything, the "date" I have for the formation of my league is January 1, 1975.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:42 AM   #13
The Game
Hall Of Famer

I have never had an issue, to my knowledge, of imported players not showing up in the Free Agents pool. You might be doing something different that I can not figure out. I have done leagues like yours in the 1950's and 19070's but I tend to always start with 2000.

What happens when you use the search feature for the players that are not showing up in the FA pool?

I'll pm Bigrod & Lukasberger to see if they can help.

"Stay Strong"

Old 11-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #14
bd001217
Minors (Single A)

Lightbulb

Quote:
I have never had an issue, to my knowledge, of imported players not showing up in the Free Agents pool. You might be doing something different that I can not figure out. I have done leagues like yours in the 1950's and 19070's but I tend to always start with 2000.

What happens when you use the search feature for the players that are not showing up in the FA pool?

I'll pm Bigrod & Lukasberger to see if they can help.
I appreciate that, thank you so much!

When I use the search feature, the player will show up the way my Screen Shot #2 shows above with Mattingly. Does the same thing with a few other players like Frank Thomas, Boggs, Piazza and a handful of others

So far, I've successfully (according to the prompts I'm getting) imported 52 players, and 13 of them do not show up when I ask for a list of all players, although they do appear (as Mattingly does above) when I perform a search for them.

At first, I was manually importing each individual player, inputting the bbreference short name (I'd go to bbref and copy & paste the short name from the URL) and then the year (using the import historical player wizard).

Once I saw a thread about how to format the (player,year) info, I then started creating text files with the players short name followed by a comma and then the year. I'm doing this a few players at a time to see if all are being imported as they should.

Right now, here's what happens when I try to get a list of all the players I've imported:

When I go to the league menu and select "Player Info" ; "List All Players", the list is blank.

Then, when I check "include retired players", 39 of the 52 players show up.
Thirteen do not.

Then, when I click on "Free Agents", there are 13 players there...Of those 13 players, four of them are players that did not show up under "List All Players". The other nine do show up when I list all players. And, there are nine players who only show up when I do a search.

When I first noticed that Piazza did not show up on my list, I imported him again..and then tried it a third time. He never showed up on the list all players list or on the free agent list, but he does show up 3x when I do a search for him (see picture).

I think what I'll try to do later today is delete the players I have in there now, make one text file with all of them in there and re-import, and see if the same guys show up "missing".
Attached Images

Last edited by bd001217; 11-08-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: need to attach pic
Old 11-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #15
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

just a thought, rather than do the bbref, do a search in the master.csv and use the lahman id in there for your text file import
Old 11-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #16
bd001217
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInCincy View Post
just a thought, rather than do the bbref, do a search in the master.csv and use the lahman id in there for your text file import
I think that's an excellent idea. I will try it. That way, there's no chance of anything being lost in "translation" (hopefully!)

Thank you!
Old 11-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #17
bd001217
Minors (Single A)

One other thing I tried was, when the player shows up in a search (as Piazza did above), I right-clicked and "retired" the player.

But they STILL did not show up on my list of retired players.

Just when you think you've got it figured out...
Old 11-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #18
bd001217
Minors (Single A)

Well, it looks like it works as intended now.

I created a new fictional league and put the 52 players into one text file, imported them, and now they all show up (as retired) in the master listing.

None of them show up as free agents, just all retired.

I used each player in their best individual year.

I'll create a text file for the rest of the players I want and go from there.

This game is fantastic, it really is...it is exactly what I've been looking for... and just looking around these boards, it's GREAT to see so many fans helping others to get started. I hope I'm able to do the same for others going forward.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #19
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, it looks like it works as intended now.

I created a new fictional league and put the 52 players into one text file, imported them, and now they all show up (as retired) in the master listing.

None of them show up as free agents, just all retired.

I used each player in their best individual year.

I'll create a text file for the rest of the players I want and go from there.

This game is fantastic, it really is...it is exactly what I've been looking for... and just looking around these boards, it's GREAT to see so many fans helping others to get started. I hope I'm able to do the same for others going forward.
post your text file when you get a chance. I have never had the issue you speak of, so i am lost as to what we are doing differently.

"Stay Strong"

Old 11-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #20
bd001217
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
post your text file when you get a chance. I have never had the issue you speak of, so i am lost as to what we are doing differently.

I actually did get it to work the way i wanted, I'm not sure myself exactly what I was doing wrong, but I made one text file with all the players that I had tried to import, and it successfully imported all 53 of them (I think there were 53, anyway, they all worked)

That text file is attached

My "goal" is to create a file with Bill James' top 100 players at each position (from the Historical Abstract) and maybe add a few 21st Century players to the list as well, and then create a league with those guys.

And, if anyone else out there is new to the game, hopefully this file will help illustrate the import process.
Attached Files
File Type: txt master fictional all time league w best years - first 53.txt (858 Bytes, 541 views)

Last edited by bd001217; 11-11-2014 at 01:06 PM.