Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - New to the Game?

OOTP 15 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 04-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

Manager vs Bench

I am working on my expansion team... I know the Manage ratings are for a manager... what ratings do u look at when hiring a bench coach...
Sabres2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

Same ratings, "coaches fielding" and how well he handles players, making him a complimentary coach to your manager, meaning if the manager handles veterans "excellent", make your bench coach handle players "excellent" so if there's a difference, the players will stay properly motivated.
goalieump413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
slic1149
Major Leagues

I am sure this philosophy can be nit picked, but I always treat hiring a bench coach the same as I do a manager. I will over spend for a bench coach and sometimes even pay more for one than a manager. It is important to make sure his skills compliment the managers. By the way, I always offer more than a coach is asking for if I want to hire him fast. There have been too many times I end up paying more for a coach I want because I get into a bidding war.

One replay I had 48 year old Walter Alston as my manager, and I was paying him around $48,000. I had 62 year old Charlie Grimm as my bench coach and was paying him around $54,000. They were both maxed out with Legendary and Excellent ratings. I won around 110 games. If I have to charge an extra dime for tickets to have the best coaching staff I will do so.
slic1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

There ya go Slic! Get the good ones I say

But what I think makes a good bench coach (even though I hate the designation in OOTP) is he IS a Manager but a flawed one

I look at Teach fielding and if he handles rookies better than the manager, or vice versa he is a great compliment. Hitting,pitching,strategy does not matter to me, just fielding
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
What I want to know about a potential Bench Coach is how good is he at sitting and if he is a spitter.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
Arquebus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

What effects do a bench coach's (or manager's) stats have on things? Is it more for player development, or does it affect individual game performances? Is the AI manager/bench auto-lineup option significantly affected by an excellent or poor manager/bench coach?
Arquebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquebus View Post
What effects do a bench coach's (or manager's) stats have on things? Is it more for player development, or does it affect individual game performances? Is the AI manager/bench auto-lineup option significantly affected by an excellent or poor manager/bench coach?
Better coaches do have an impact on player development and production during games. I typically scour the marketplace for better coaches right away, even letting guys go that have more than a year left on their contract. It's only money...

Here's a link to last year's manual describing the personnel model for your review. It's always worth trying to get the best coaches into your organization.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
Arquebus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413 View Post
Better coaches do have an impact on player development and production during games. I typically scour the marketplace for better coaches right away, even letting guys go that have more than a year left on their contract. It's only money...

Here's a link to last year's manual describing the personnel model for your review. It's always worth trying to get the best coaches into your organization.
Good to know, thanks. I've generally avoided the manual because it always seem to lag behind by at least a year, but I guess there's information in there that I should assume is accurate (apart from interface stuff)!
Arquebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

Yes, the manual will need updating, but the basic concepts are accurate.