Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:46 AM   #1
dtizzle
Minors (Triple A)

Spring training?

On or off. For years I've been playing it with off because I found it annoying. But I guess if I am trying to go "realistic" I should keep it on. Curious if anyone has take about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dtizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:05 AM   #2
Mets52
Minors (Double A)

I have it on, I usually sim. I like it, it's an oppurtunity for reps for your star players at different positions. Have a big bat outfielder who is aging? Have him play spring training at first base. Maybe he can transition later in his career. I've also discovered a lot of extra talent I never would have, considering the expanded rosters. And that's all by simming the games. Not a bad time to try managing a game yourself (if you haven't/don't) or anything else you'd like to try with no penalty as far as results.

Last edited by Mets52; 05-12-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Mets52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #3
gbwitheyes
Minors (Triple A)

I love spring training. It enables me to see young players that are coming up through my farm system. I can try different pitchers that I'm considering as a fifth starter. Or look at that aging vet at the end of his career that I signed for a song. If only I could be sitting in the dugout on a warm spring afternoon.
gbwitheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
andyhdz
All Star Starter

We just need better stats and tracking. yes I know you can look at spring training stats but it's not that easy. Why can't you look at your spring training stats easily from the team page? I don't care what other players are doing around the league in spring training only mine so the spring training leaderboard is useless. I have mine on but for 4 weeks. It's a good way to get to know your younger players before sending them back to the farm.

Last edited by andyhdz; 05-12-2017 at 12:02 PM.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

On. And play out every inning of every spring training game... just like I play out every inning of every regular and post season game. I like to get my regulars a few AB and then get a good luck at my young guys to see who's ready and who isn't. Plus, I didn't like the way the pitchers were handled when I used to sim ST. I like to get some "borderline" starters some starts in ST... always looking for that added bit of starting pitcher depth.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
DaBears
Major Leagues

Also, the only great way I have found to get a player a rating at another position. Important if you want to move a LF to RF, as an example, or a 3B to 1B. Also, I have used it a lot to make a utility IF more versatile. Maybe he is a good 2B/SS, but I want him to also be available at 1B/3B/LF. Great way to make your own Ben Zobrist.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #7
StratMan
Minors (Single A)

I play with it on and play out every excruciating inning. Why? Same reason as most everyone else: defensive positions

Unfortunately, the way defensive experience is added is an exploit which could be easily fixed. You can switch a player to a new position over and over and they would have a chance at a defensive bump each time. This should be capped so you only gain experience the first time in a game when you are switched to a position with less than 200 experience.

In Spring Training, you get up to 3 experience points per switch (just 1 in regular season).

I've set a house rule to only allow 2 switches to non-200 experience defensive positions per game (and yes, you have to be commish and look at the editor to enforce). But with 60 players on the roster, that is still a lot of managing to get players experience but is extremely useful during the season to handle injuries and have prospects in the minors be able to fill multiple holes.

Last edited by StratMan; 05-12-2017 at 12:40 PM.
StratMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #8
old fat bald guy
Minors (Triple A)

There's one other reason to play it out, besides defensive position-building.

I don't trust the AI to give my players the appropriate amount of playing time. I want to make out the lineup card, and it will never include anybody who started the day before. You want to blow off the rust with the minimum necessary amount of playing time, to reduce injury risk.
old fat bald guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #9
dtizzle
Minors (Triple A)

All valid points. Thinking about as this game has gotten so good spring training should be a part of it. I think I still have deep scars from an earlier version when I had Tim Lincecum blow out his arm during spring training and kill my season.
dtizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #10
dannibalcorpse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
We just need better stats and tracking. yes I know you can look at spring training stats but it's not that easy. Why can't you look at your spring training stats easily from the team page? I don't care what other players are doing around the league in spring training only mine so the spring training leaderboard is useless. I have mine on but for 4 weeks. It's a good way to get to know your younger players before sending them back to the farm.
When you're looking at your lineup or rotation screens, pull up the Splits menu. There's an option for Spring Training, so you can at least look at your teams ST stats in one spot there.
dannibalcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:45 PM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

stats only - definitely more utility.... but only so much you can do with inadequate sample sizes... not to mention competition is not hte same... it's like comparing apples to oranges. (ST vs reg season)

even with ratings visible, it's useful.... more time on active roster, more development etc... double edged sword -- more time for negative effects too... but if you are a competent organization that funds development and goes after good coaches, etc... it should be a net positive.

...adding positions to players

... gives an extra scouting report (i guess that depends on settings), right? you get to see if that 21y.o. or that 36y.o. changed since the first scouting report, and more importantly before you enter the regular season. time to react if there is a major change -- 4-5weeks, as opposed to a day.

i think it's more hassle than real value for how i do things, but i also think it's useful to the AI... so i leave it on even if i half ass most of what's invovled in ST.

Last edited by NoOne; 05-13-2017 at 01:46 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #12
gbwitheyes
Minors (Triple A)

My son and I would go to spring training every year. During those bitter cold and dark winter days we would sit down, look at all the games and pick teams and ballparks we wanted to see. Some parks we returned to because of our love for the park as much for the team it hosted. We would try to have 10 - 12 different teams we would watch. Other events were scheduled around the games. Most days there would be some surfing. Others we would visit an amusement park.

The drive from Michigan took two days. The first day we would stop just below Atlanta. Dad and son would jump out wearing shorts to enjoy the warm weather while the locals would give us a crazy look as they were bundled up in their coats.

What memories.

Last edited by gbwitheyes; 05-13-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #13
gbwitheyes
Minors (Triple A)

Is there a spring training schedule somewhere that can be edited? If so could we create split squad games to enable more playing time and to look harder at more players?

I would love to see comments in the game from some veteran bitching about having to make a long bus ride.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:23 PM   #14
gbwitheyes
Minors (Triple A)

I would love to see additional parks we could configure for spring training.

Last edited by gbwitheyes; 05-13-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #15
HydroSqueegee
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'd like a quick at a glance option in the team transaction menu to know who to demote to the minors after spring training. Trying to figure out which 1 star to keep is tricky.
HydroSqueegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:56 PM   #16
gbwitheyes
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbwitheyes View Post
Is there a spring training schedule somewhere that can be edited? If so could we create split squad games to enable more playing time and to look harder at more players?

I would love to see comments in the game from some veteran bitching about having to make a long bus ride.
To answer my own question, you can view and modify the spring training schedule through the scheduling portion of OOTP. Split squad games there will be!
Old 05-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #17
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Does the 7-day line-ups work for Spring Training? That would be good if you were playing split squad games and have different line-ups for each game.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #18
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Does the 7-day line-ups work for Spring Training? That would be good if you were playing split squad games and have different line-ups for each game.
Yes! It does, and is IMO the way to go.
MrWideFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #19
koohead
Hall Of Famer

Spring Training AI

Couple tweaks to the AI would make Spring Training better for me (I sim, so may won't really help/impact you if you play your games out).

- On the 7 day lineup screen, would be great if you can designate the pitchers you want to throw that day. so you can list 4-5 pitchers that you want the AI to throw that particular day. This to me would simulate real life.

- Not sure what to suggest here but Batters in your starting lineup seem to play more than they do in real life. There are a good number of subs, but the starters seem to start every game, where as in real life they may start every other game, especially during the early part of ST. This would probably require some sort of custom lineup setup screen just for ST, so probably not the easiest to implement. Maybe the AI can be tweaked to start bench players more frequently or something.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:06 PM   #20
keeks
Minors (Single A)

IIRC theres a hidden "Rust" rating and spring training helps get that up to normal after the offseason, idk if turning off Spring Training would disable this rating or not. Do you have slow starts to the season usually?
keeks is offline   Reply With Quote