Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
D_Hitter
Bat Boy

Beginner: ehm... what do I do now?

Hi, I am not a die-hard baseball fan but I learned about OotP while searching for the prefect sports management sim and I like its potential. Over the past few days I dug into baseball basics and terminology etc.

I have now set up my own league (I am Dutch, so it's the DBL) with 8 teams to keep it simple - thought that was a good idea. I am running the team "Breda Bastards" (love the customization here )

We're now a few weeks in and this is the situation:

So it's not looking too good here.

What do I do now? We're apparently pretty weak in a lot of areas. Do I start trading to get better guys in a certain position? And what positions need to be filled first?
Or do I fiddle with the strategy etc.?
D_Hitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Hitter View Post
Hi, I am not a die-hard baseball fan but I learned about OotP while searching for the prefect sports management sim and I like its potential. Over the past few days I dug into baseball basics and terminology etc.

I have now set up my own league (I am Dutch, so it's the DBL) with 8 teams to keep it simple - thought that was a good idea. I am running the team "Breda Bastards" (love the customization here )

We're now a few weeks in and this is the situation:

What do I do now? We're apparently pretty weak in a lot of areas. Do I start trading to get better guys in a certain position? And what positions need to be filled first?
Sorry but I had to laugh when you like it's potential. OOTP is probably the best text sim out there. Only real competition is Football manager. With that being said, you need to be patient. If I were you I would play out at least half the season and look to dump some high contracts and under performers. Or just play out the season, improve through the draft and free agency. Part of the fun of a game like this is improving a poor team to a contender.
GiantYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Garethw87

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3312607

Check that link out too, Might be of interest to you
Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
dawg_gone
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

We're now a few weeks in and this is the situation: [snipped]

A baseball game is short but the baseball season is a grueling marathon. What I've discovered after going deeply immersed into an OOTP dynasty is that the first season is for learning. The second season is for moves. The third season is to start trying to win in an informed way.
dawg_gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #5
D_Hitter
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg_gone View Post
A baseball game is short but the baseball season is a grueling marathon. What I've discovered after going deeply immersed into an OOTP dynasty is that the first season is for learning. The second season is for moves. The third season is to start trying to win in an informed way.
Indeed I have completed the first season and it was in fact really informative. Though I am now thinking I didn't make it easy for myself - with a league of only 8 teams (and no minor leagues) it seems really difficult to pry away some good pitchers - the market is not that big. There are plenty of free agents but there's no telling what they will do for you.
D_Hitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
BabyLemonade
Minors (Double A)

There are several ways to improve your team..The fastest way is through trades.. Find the areas your team is weak, set up a short-term strategy (not to be fired)-find players you like(ratings-stats-potential-high work rate etc) and start trading(under-performers, over aged players with high contracts blah blah..)
From my experience if you have not trade much into the 1st season the AI will award you with favorable trades for your team..
With an 8team league a minor league would be nice..It will give you more players..You can add it in off season..
My first fictional league was 16teams--two divisions of 8teams plus an AAA minor league and as i recall there were enough good players around to build a contender quite fast..
Also i think(though i never tried) that with such a small league set up the AI will generate in the first drafts players ready to play in your league level.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
KMcBride
Bat Boy

Quote:
Though I am now thinking I didn't make it easy for myself - with a league of only 8 teams (and no minor leagues) it seems really difficult to pry away some good pitchers - the market is not that big. There are plenty of free agents but there's no telling what they will do for you.
I think you'll find that minor leagues are a huge advantage as you're learning the game. Watching players come up through the system, you get a feel for their level of performance that is just as (if not more) meaningful than your scout's opinion, or the game's ratings of that player's skills. Plus, I think MLB history shows that its a better strategy to try to develop your own talent than to rely solely on the free agent market.

You might want to consider setting up a league that meets American MLB rules exactly, so that way if you want to look up the Rule V draft (for example) on wikipedia, you know that what you're seeing is exactly how it works in your game, too. That way, you have more resources to turn to if you get confused.

Keep at it!! And welcome!
KMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote