Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #21
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

The Patriots have won the Evil League of Evil for the regular season.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #22
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
Doubtful, defenders have been separating receiver from the ball for years. They would rule he did not make a "football move" and establish himself as a runner.
Then a person can't call that a catch.
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:54 PM   #23
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorseMoose View Post
What if, in that conscious effort of extending the ball forward, a defensive player had swatted the ball out? Would that have then been a fumble?
I would've called it that. But according to Bizzaro World, he never got a chance to complete the catch by "surviving the ground".
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:58 PM   #24
old fat bald guy
Minors (Triple A)

A "football move" is not a thing. It is not in the NFL rulebook. You have to demonstrate that you are a runner. If you're falling, you're not running.

The "plane of the goal line" is also irrelevant in this case. If you don't catch the ball, that's an incomplete pass. It doesn't matter where you are.

The merits of the rule are debatable, but the call isn't. It was clearly an incomplete pass.
old fat bald guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #25
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

For anyone complaining about this being incomplete, I challenge you to type out the Rule how it should read in order to call that a catch.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #26
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I would've called it that. But according to Bizzaro World, he never got a chance to complete the catch by "surviving the ground".
Then you'd be wrong.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #27
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

@Cobra Mgr, would James' play have been a complete pass had he not been attempting to cross the goal line?
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:26 AM   #28
old fat bald guy
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
@Cobra Mgr, would James' play have been a complete pass had he not been attempting to cross the goal line?
If it plays out the same way, no. If he keeps the ball from hitting the ground because he isn't trying to cross the goal line, and he hangs on to it, yes.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:46 AM   #29
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat bald guy View Post
If it plays out the same way, no. If he keeps the ball from hitting the ground because he isn't trying to cross the goal line, and he hangs on to it, yes.
Which is why it wasn't a touchdown: consistency in rule following.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
Old 12-19-2017, 07:21 AM   #30
kq76
Global Moderator

Was the call correct according to the rules? Sure, okay, but count me as one of those who believe as soon as you cross the endzone it should be a touchdown. The endzone is clearly a special area of the field and should have special rules.

If he wasn't lunging for the endzone he likely would have caught it just fine, but since he was lunging for it he put himself in danger of losing control of the ball. One might say, "well, that's the risk you take trying to stretch it into a touchdown", but I don't think it's right to take the yardage away completely. At the very least I think you should get the yardage up until the point where you lunged for the endzone.

This "runner" distinction is nonsense to me. What if a receiver stops, turns around, doesn't move his feet, catches the ball, then before he can move he gets whacked to the ground without losing control of the ball? Is he a runner? I wouldn't say so, but should it a completed pass? I would say so.

EDIT: Here's another thing, "he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground". From what I saw his knee clearly touches the ground and he still has control of the ball. It's only once he's flat on the ground with all fours that he loses control. How much "until after initial contact" do you need? 5 seconds, 10 seconds? Once initial contact is made, just call it.

Last edited by kq76; 12-19-2017 at 07:32 AM.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:35 AM   #31
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
If he wasn't lunging for the endzone he likely would have caught it just fine,
If a player catches a ball in the air and is then pushed out of bounds, it's not a catch. If he wasn't pushed out of bounds, he likely would have caught it just fine...

See...that thinking doesn't work.

Quote:
What if a receiver stops, turns around, doesn't move his feet, catches the ball, then before he can move he gets whacked to the ground without losing control of the ball? Is he a runner? I wouldn't say so, but should it a completed pass? I would say so.
Doesn't lose control? So the ball doesn't hit the ground? Then yeah...completed pass. But for the Steelers player, the ball DOES hit the ground. If that same situation you have had had the ball hit the ground, depending on the bang-bang of this...yeah, incomplete.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:55 AM   #32
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If he wasn't lunging for the endzone he likely would have caught it just fine, but since he was lunging for it he put himself in danger of losing control of the ball. One might say, "well, that's the risk you take trying to stretch it into a touchdown", but I don't think it's right to take the yardage away completely. At the very least I think you should get the yardage up until the point where you lunged for the endzone.
The pass to James was incomplete, but yet, based on the bold, you want to award him yardage? So, you feel like a receiver should be given yardage even on incomplete passes as long as he at least momentarily held onto the ball? So, technically, a team could get a first down on an incomplete pass as long as the receiver momentarily held the ball while past the first down marker?

Quote:
EDIT: Here's another thing, "he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground". From what I saw his knee clearly touches the ground and he still has control of the ball. It's only once he's flat on the ground with all fours that he loses control. How much "until after initial contact" do you need? 5 seconds, 10 seconds? Once initial contact is made, just call it.
Enough time to determine if the catch is complete or not. Which it wasn't. Because he lost control of the ball.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:04 AM   #33
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

This is really pretty simple: it was an incomplete pass because he lost control of the ball. He didn't complete the play. He should not be rewarded for a completed play when he didn't complete it.

It's akin to a runner bobbling the ball as he crosses the goal line: until he gains control of the ball and completes the play it doesn't matter that the ball has crossed the plane. If he does not regain control of the ball and complete the play he is not rewarded with a touchdown.

Last edited by cephasjames; 12-19-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:32 AM   #34
old fat bald guy
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Which is why it wasn't a touchdown: consistency in rule following.
It's also why James made a bad play. Here's something you see good receivers do ... they roll over onto their backs to put their bodies between the ball and the ground. If it doesn't hit the ground, you can lose possession when you hit the ground, regain it, and it's a catch. As long as you're inbounds, a pass isn't incomplete until it hits the ground.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #35
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
If a player catches a ball in the air and is then pushed out of bounds, it's not a catch. If he wasn't pushed out of bounds, he likely would have caught it just fine...

See...that thinking doesn't work.
I don't really like that either though. Part of me feels like that's a good play by the defense, but that doesn't necessarily mean the offensive player didn't also make a good play. Good play should be rewarded IMO. This touchdown play is worse though. The defense had very little impact if any on the play.

Quote:
Doesn't lose control? So the ball doesn't hit the ground? Then yeah...completed pass. But for the Steelers player, the ball DOES hit the ground. If that same situation you have had had the ball hit the ground, depending on the bang-bang of this...yeah, incomplete.
But by the sound of the rule, it doesn't sound to me like he's a runner (in the scenario I gave) and therefore it shouldn't be a completed pass either. This "runner" term is a key part of the rule as far as I can tell. Otherwise I think the James play should have been a completed pass. What I'm saying is at the point where this video is paused at 22 seconds, I think it should be considered a completed pass. I understand it's not according to the rule, but I don't like it.

And FWIW, I probably dislike the Steelers more than any other team (I'm still smarting from that Seahawks-Steelers Superbowl) and I usually find myself rooting for the Patriots. Not here though.

Last edited by kq76; 12-19-2017 at 09:26 AM.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:50 AM   #36
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Then you'd be wrong.
According to the NFL. Common sense isn't part of the rule book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain King View Post
For anyone complaining about this being incomplete, I challenge you to type out the Rule how it should read in order to call that a catch.
A pass is caught when a player exhibits control w/2 feet w/in the field of play......

1. before going out of bounds or......
2. before falling to the ground or.....
3. makes a move to advance the ball.

Quote:
Yes. The ball didn't wiggle once until his elbow hit the ground after his dive across the end zone. So if he just went down it would have never gotten loose. Because he made the split second decision to get it across and it was jarred loose. But he had control of it the entire way up until then.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #37
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Then a person can't call that a catch.
I agree. I do not think the rule is the problem. I think the quality of slow motion replay has made real time decisions almost impossible. I think they have to decide which set of unintended consequences they are willing to accept.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #38
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat bald guy View Post
A "football move" is not a thing. It is not in the NFL rulebook. You have to demonstrate that you are a runner. If you're falling, you're not running.

The "plane of the goal line" is also irrelevant in this case. If you don't catch the ball, that's an incomplete pass. It doesn't matter where you are.

The merits of the rule are debatable, but the call isn't. It was clearly an incomplete pass.
Thanks, that makes sense about establishing as a runner.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #39
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
I agree. I do not think the rule is the problem. I think the quality of slow motion replay has made real time decisions almost impossible. I think they have to decide which set of unintended consequences they are willing to accept.
Agree.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #40
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Yes. The ball didn't wiggle once until his elbow hit the ground after his dive across the end zone. So if he just went down it would have never gotten loose. Because he made the split second decision to get it across and it was jarred loose. But he had control of it the entire way up until then.
I agree that the ball didn't wiggle until he stretched out and it hit the ground. But he did and he lost the ball.

You're saying that if a player did the exact same thing James did but instead stretched for only a first down, it'd still be a completion? Even though he lost control of the ball?