Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
tfong
Minors (Single A)

Advertise on Steam

Either as a greenlight game or otherwise. FM series does great on steam and its a good way to get traction if you get listed on a summer sale or whatnot.
tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Stinson
Minors (Triple A)

Unfortunately, it's not quite that easy. From what I've heard, they've tried a number of times to get OOTP Baseball onto Steam, and Valve rejected all their attempts. They recently gave Greenlight a try, and failed there too.

I'd hate to say it, but I don't think we'll be seeing FHM on Steam. Not that OOTP Developments hasn't tried, and won't continue to try, but the interest from Valve and Steam users just doesn't seem to be there.

A glimmer of hope, though, is that between Greenlight and Early Access, Valve seems to have recently lightened up a bit on what they allow onto Steam (in my opinion, at least). Greenlight will likely fail, but they may be able to get in through the new Early Access program (edit: Assuming, of course, they try to get it on before release. Otherwise, it's back to the standard methods, which haven't been kind to OOTP so far).

Last edited by Stinson; 07-15-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Stinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Considering the amount of crap allowed on steam it seems like a weird way to have to do it.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
dejaqwho
Minors (Single A)

I thought anyone can put a project on steams greenlight? Getting voted into the store is another matter.
dejaqwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:23 AM   #5
tfong
Minors (Single A)

I didn't know there were restrictions, cuz I've seen some really dumb or joke games on there that I thought people just were bored one day and coded stuff. Whats the problem with steam accepting the game? Plenty of games are currently in alpha stages advertised there right now, is there a specific category not allowed?

Having this on steam would also enable an online based protection for the game as well and is significantly easier to manage than DRM activation software which I'm not a huge fan of.

Last edited by tfong; 07-16-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I didn't know there were restrictions, cuz I've seen some really dumb or joke games on there that I thought people just were bored one day and coded stuff. Whats the problem with steam accepting the game? Plenty of games are currently in alpha stages advertised there right now, is there a specific category not allowed?

Having this on steam would also enable an online based protection for the game as well and is significantly easier to manage than DRM activation software which I'm not a huge fan of.
I wasn't aware that OOTP's current setup was DRM activation software but confess that I don't know the ins and outs.

I've never found OOTP to be difficult to manage, ever, so obviously there is a disconnect here.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
Stinson
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I didn't know there were restrictions, cuz I've seen some really dumb or joke games on there that I thought people just were bored one day and coded stuff.
Are you referring to Greenlight, or Steam itself?

In terms of Steam itself, you need to talk to Valve about getting your game onto the platform. I don't know what their "evaluation" involves, but apparently OOTP Baseball wasn't good enough for them in the two or three years it was submitted. Although, OOTP 9 is on Steam, so I'm wondering if sales simply weren't good enough, so they rejected subsequent releases...?

If you're referring to Greenlight, you're right, there are no restrictions in getting your game up for vote, other than the $100 entry fee. In fact, this fee was added as a response to all the garbage and fake submissions that were flooding Greenlight in the beginning.
Stinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
dejaqwho
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinson View Post

In terms of Steam itself, you need to talk to Valve about getting your game onto the platform. I don't know what their "evaluation" involves, but apparently OOTP Baseball wasn't good enough for them in the two or three years it was submitted. Although, OOTP 9 is on Steam, so I'm wondering if sales simply weren't good enough, so they rejected subsequent releases...?

If you're referring to Greenlight, you're right, there are no restrictions in getting your game up for vote, other than the $100 entry fee. In fact, this fee was added as a response to all the garbage and fake submissions that were flooding Greenlight in the beginning.
Thats the best 100 bucks you can spend on advertising.
dejaqwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
tfong
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I wasn't aware that OOTP's current setup was DRM activation software but confess that I don't know the ins and outs.

I've never found OOTP to be difficult to manage, ever, so obviously there is a disconnect here.
Well the way you set it up right now you license a computer and play on that computer. In order to get it to another computer you unlicense this one then install it on another. Its a common DRM technique but its quite annoying for someone like me, who has multiple computers/laptops or w/e that I can play from. Also it really sucks if your computer wipes or something and you can't unlicense it without a lot of headache. Digital libraries like steam allow me to recover my games.

This is where steam comes in, you only need the steam account and anywhere you go you can play your games. I can travel to my grandparents house and play etc...Also its not like you would ever lend out your steam account to anyone so its fairly safe as far as preventing "sharing".

This may not apply to you if you dont play many games, but I have quite a few and with steam or something similiar I can uninstall and install games from my library without worrying about forgetting where the disc is or unlicensing or forgetting where my license key is etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinson View Post

Both, I don't know myself what the "evaluations" steam puts on games, but greenlight projects itself I think are a real worthy usage of advertising. You get marketing plus you get to see howmany people would be interested in the game itself, its a win/win situation for an insignificant fee.

I actually own three greenlight games I've voted up right now so I know the system does work to produce decent games and more than a few gems from indies.

Last edited by tfong; 07-16-2013 at 10:03 PM.