Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Antmf
Minors (Single A)

Can anyone explain how online leagues work?

I understand you don't play head to head but how do the leagues work? Do you just play as GM/manager or just GM? Can you watch your games that your team plays? Someone please explain to this very new guy to OOTP baseball and trying desperately hard to understand the so many functions this excellent game has to offer. Thanks all...
Antmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

You download the file from the leagues server into your game. This allows you to view the results of the league and your team. You make changes, or not and upload the file back to the server. The commissioner imports all the files runs the sim. Repeat.
You can play as GM or GM/Manager. Even if you are in a GM/Manager league you can set the AI to handle whatever duties you want. I recommend against it but it is an option.
If the league has it as an option you can watch your games. I have no clue how many leagues do this. I think it would be prohibitive because of bloated file sizes.
Leagues simulate different lengths with each sim. Usually from one week per sim, 3 sims per week to an entire season on a week. There are some really fast paced leagues out there. The ones I have been in do 7-14 days per sim.
It is the only way I play. The solo side of things does not hold my interest for some reason.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

There's an entire section of the online manual about how online leagues work, starting here: Out of the Park Baseball Manual

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

The problem with online leagues are the other people ruining the fun.

They are sooooo worried about winning they miss the point of the game.

Also most leagues sim 4-5 times a week. If you have a job that is waaaay too fast. Sims should only be on the weekend and that's when most leagues don't sim at all.

Online leagues feel like work not fun, IMHO.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.

Last edited by Honorable_Pawn; 11-04-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:22 AM   #5
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post

Also most leagues sim 4-5 times a week. If you have a job that is waaaay too fast. Sims should only be on the weekend and that's when most leagues don't sim at all.

All my league sim three-four times a week, with Sunday-Monday back-to-back. Works well.

I like online leagues.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Fatbot
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
You download the file from the leagues server into your game. This allows you to view the results of the league and your team. You make changes, or not and upload the file back to the server. The commissioner imports all the files runs the sim. Repeat.
Have any online leagues come up with a way for owners to make their weekly changes that don't want to do the download/upload method? Wondering if any leagues have come up with a web interface for owners to submit changes, or perhaps even an excel spreadsheet?

I don't have the game yet so have no clue how it works, but thinking of switching. Kind of a showstopper though is in our league there's some owners that never use the game but just submit changes to the commissioner.
Fatbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Recte44
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post

Your opinion.