Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support > Earlier versions of OOTP: Logged Issues

Earlier versions of OOTP: Logged Issues All issues that have been logged and given a TT # are stored here until fixed

Old 07-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
sfnate
Minors (Triple A)

BZ 1798: Sequence problem in year-by-year listing

(Apologies for the duplicate posting; I put this in General first, then figured it was better off here)

Much of the pleasure I get from playing this game is browsing the stats. Like just about everyone else. So it's a bit surprising to me that I've not seen any comments on my favorite pet peeve, the out-of-sequence formatting of the year-by-year stats. Here's what I mean:

Say a player on Team A is released or traded or whatever in year 1900. He joins up with another team that same year. In his stats, it would look like this:

1900 Athletics
1900 Giants

Looking at this, you know that he started the year with the Athletics, then moved to the Giants. I can see this at a glance. The ordering gives me that information.

Now let's say he leaves the Giants mid-season in 1901, and re-joins the Athletics, maybe because he's homesick. You'd expect to see this:

1900 Athletics
1900 Giants
Total 1900
1901 Giants
1901 Athletics
Total 1901

Again, I can see the sequence at a glance. I don't need to figure the sequence out by reviewing other data in his profile.

So here's my pet peeve: too often in the game I see something like this:

1900 Athletics
1900 Giants
Total 1900
1901 Athletics
1901 Giants
Total 1901

So I'm looking at this, I'm not intimately familiar with the player's history, and I'm thinking, "Did he start the year with the Athletics, then move back to the Giants; or did he start with the Giants and go to the Athletics?"

This is a nitpick, I know, but it drives me crazy. If you look at Baseballreference.com, you can see that they do this right: you know at a glance what the sequence is. I like that. I don't like having to look around in the player file to find out what the sequence is. It's another unnecessary step to have to take.

Is there a way to force the game to do this correctly, so that this gem of a game can be that much better, especially for people like me who tend to spend HOURS reviewing stats?

Am I the only person who has noticed this?

Thanks for your time guys, I got it off my chest now.
sfnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

This is something that has bugged me forever also...
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

BZ # 1798

Sorry, forgot to add that
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
sfnate
Minors (Triple A)

Since this is still an open issue, and hasn't made the cut for the last couple of updates, I assume no fix will be forthcoming. Pity. Fixing this would make reading the stat pages so much easier/enjoyable--and stats stats stats is what this game is (in large part) about.

If anyone can speak to why this fix can't be made, it would help me to let go of any lingering hope I have that something might eventually be done.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

This was marked as something to be addressed at a later time (for a later version of the game), so there's still hope, but not for OOTP 9.
Nutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
sfnate
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks, Nutlaw, for the update. When and if the fix ever comes, I will be the first to loudly proclaim its arrival.