Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:23 AM   #21
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Mantle's .368 and two homers led to his being the MVP of the 1914 World Series. The Blues defeat the Phillies 4 games to 1. Carl Hubbell pitched one shutout.

Is this the start of a Cleveland dynasty? No team has repeated as World Champions since the 1907-8 Athletics, and no team has ever won three World Series in a row.

On to 1915 !
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #22
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Fine seasons by the M&M brother Mize and Mantle, and an 80-74 season were not enough to lead the Blues to repeat as AL champions. The Philadelphia Athletics walked away with the AL pennant, going 98-56. Frank Robinson led the Athletics with 48 homers, in the process becoming the first player ever to reach 400 home runs, a mark reached by season's end also by Ted Williams.

The all-time home run list now reads Frank Robinson 408, Ted Williams 402.

Ty Cobb won yet another batting title, hitting .374. Clayton Kershaw won 25 games for the Phillies, but the Chicago Orphans, led by Hippo Vaughn's 21 wins and 2.81 ERA, won the NL pennant. Lefty Gomez of the Brewers, and Tom Seaver of the Orphans, led each league in Ks, with 294 and 270 respectively. Davey Lopes stole 96 bases for the Phillies, and Cobb stole 72

The Athletics swept the Orphans in 4 games. Glenn Davis was Series MVP.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #23
italyprof
All Star Reserve

1916 - EXPANSION

The League decided that, due to over-population on rosters, there was a need to expand the league to 24 teams. Teams added were: Charlotte Wolves, Oklahoma City Cowboys, Indianapolis Black Sox, and San Francisco Seals in the American League, and Los Angeles Dodgers, Houston Colts, Denver Broncos and San Diego Padres in the National League.

But the decision was made that, for interests of fairness and competitiveness, that a new draft would be held with all players available to all teams. This meant a complete reshuffling of rosters.

Ty Cobb, winner of countless batting titles, went to the Boston Americans, Ted Williams to the Houston Colts, Mickey Mantle to the Los Angeles Dodgers, and the unequaled Clayton Kershaw likewise to Houston.

Each 12 team league was divided into two divisions, East and West, and a best of 7 League Championship Series added. The season was extended to 162 games.

Expansion led to records falling:

The Cleveland Blues, despite losing Carl Hubbell and Mickey Mantle in the draft, won 105 games, second only to the 1910 Philadelphia Athletics who won 110, and won the AL East division title.

Johnny Mize, re-drafted by the Blues, hit 56 home runs, to break the old single season record of 52 by Andy Pafko in 1902. Ken Griffey Jr. hit 52 for the New York Giants who won the NL East title. Russ Ford won 29 games for the White Sox, and Erik Hanson won 29 for the Giants, each, breaking the record of 26 wins by Larry Jaster in 1906.

Davey Lopes of the Beaneaters stole 126 bases, a new record unlikely to be broken anytime soon.

The White Sox and expansion Dodger (the Brooklyn team is called the Superbas), won the West divisions in each league.

The playoffs begin.

At the end of the 1916 regular season, Clayton Kershaw, the "Walter Johnson" (in another parallel universe) of this League, has won 325 games and lost 144, with a career ERA of 2.49. No pitcher comes close to him in career statistics: Bert Blyleven became only the second pitcher to pass 200 wins in 1916, with 203 against 171 losses, and an ERA of 3.24. Of pitchers with at least 100 games started, Kershaw's ERA is the best,with Carl Hubbell, lifetime record of 87-62 second at 2.82, and Pedro Martinez, now retired, with a lifetime record of 195-128 and a career ERA of 3.05 in third place all time.

Frank Robinson, now with the expansion Indianapolis Black Sox, continues to lead the all time Home Run list with 457, with Ted Williams in second at 440 homers. At 31 and 32 respectively, each has a chance to be the first to reach the plateau of 500 home runs in a career.

Ty Cobb passed 1000 Stolen Bases lifetime at 1,057, compared to Tim Raines' 918. Each is still active. Sherry Magee's 567 is a distant third.

In 1916, Happy Felsch of the Colts led the majors with a .357 average, one point , better than Ty Cobb's AL leading .356. Ken Griffey Jr. hit 52 home runs for the Giants, which ties the old, now surpassed record of Pafko, and Larry Walker of the Brewers also reached 50 homers.Lefty Gomez struck out 349 batters for the Black Sox, and the Blues were led by Tom Seaver's 23 wins and 321 Ks.

Doc Ayers of Oklahoma City at 2.29, and Carl Hubbell at 2.54 for the Boston Beaneaters of the NL led each league in ERA.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #24
italyprof
All Star Reserve

The Blues won the World Series in 1916, barely sqeezing out 7 game wins over the White Sox and then the Giants.

1917:

The Blues find themselves again in the playoffs at the end of 1917 with a record of 98-64. The defending NL champion Giants won a record 111 games and lost only 52 to win the NL East. Oklahoma City and the Los Angeles Dodgers won the West Divisions.

The Giants' Glenn Davis tied the season home run record set the year before by Johnny Mize, with 56 homers, and the Orioles' Ron Santo his .370 to lead the AL and hit 55 home runs himself. Mize had 149 RBI for the Blues and Gus Zernial 148 for the Beaneaters to lead each league. Bob Dernier stole 106 bases for San Francisco, and Armando Marsans stole 104 for Brooklyn. Oklahoma City's Curt Simmons won 22 games to lead the AL and Johnny Antonelli won 23 to lead the NL for the Giants. Boston's Carl Hubbell struck out 252 and Cleveland's Tom Seaver 279 to lead each league. Hubbell won the ERA crown at 2.37, with Chris Short at 2.49 for Detroit in the AL. Kris Bryant of Brooklyn led the NL with a .358 batting average.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #25
italyprof
All Star Reserve

In 1917, Frank Robinson became the first player to reach 500 career home runs ! He stands at exactly 500 at the end of the regular season. Ted Williams has 487. No one else has hit 400. Ty Cobb's .359 is highest lifetime average, with Ted Williams in second place among those with 1,000 games played, at .335.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:37 PM   #26
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
The 1914 regular season is over. The Cleveland Blues have returned to the World Series after an 8-year hiatus, finishing 89-65, two games ahead of Ty Cobb's Tigers (traded by the Chicago Orphans for Hanley Ramirez and two minor players), and 5 ahead of the Athletics. The Philadelphia Phillies, winners of 96 games, ran away with the NL pennant behind Clayton Kershaw, the greatest pitcher in major league history up to 1914, finishing 15 games ahead of the Reds and Ted Williams. Williams hit 44 homers and batted .330 to lead the NL. Cobb won his first AL batting title, hitting .360, and stole 92 bases.

The Blues were led by Carl Hubbell who won 21 and led the AL in ERA at 2.47. Kershaw won 23 and his ERA was 2.32. Glenn Davis led the AL with 36 homers, one more than Blues' first baseman Johnny Mize, a rookie obtained in the draft. Mize combined with outfielder Mickey Mantle, in his third year and finally productive, hitting 34 homers.

Now comes the World Series.The Philllies return to the Series for the first time since 1904, the Blues for the first time since 1906.
That is a yuuuge trade (Cobb for Hanley+). There was a time (2008-2009ish) when Hanley was one of the best players in the game when he was with the Marlins. Had a great 2013 with the Dodgers as well which unfortunately was interrupted by injuries. As good as he was, he always left me with the feeling that he could've been even better if he wasn't dogging it so often. Oh well.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:48 PM   #27
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1916 - EXPANSION

The League decided that, due to over-population on rosters, there was a need to expand the league to 24 teams. Teams added were: Charlotte Wolves, Oklahoma City Cowboys, Indianapolis Black Sox, and San Francisco Seals in the American League, and Los Angeles Dodgers, Houston Colts, Denver Broncos and San Diego Padres in the National League.

But the decision was made that, for interests of fairness and competitiveness, that a new draft would be held with all players available to all teams. This meant a complete reshuffling of rosters.

Ty Cobb, winner of countless batting titles, went to the Boston Americans, Ted Williams to the Houston Colts, Mickey Mantle to the Los Angeles Dodgers, and the unequaled Clayton Kershaw likewise to Houston.

Each 12 team league was divided into two divisions, East and West, and a best of 7 League Championship Series added. The season was extended to 162 games.

Expansion led to records falling:

The Cleveland Blues, despite losing Carl Hubbell and Mickey Mantle in the draft, won 105 games, second only to the 1910 Philadelphia Athletics who won 110, and won the AL East division title.

Johnny Mize, re-drafted by the Blues, hit 56 home runs, to break the old single season record of 52 by Andy Pafko in 1902. Ken Griffey Jr. hit 52 for the New York Giants who won the NL East title. Russ Ford won 29 games for the White Sox, and Erik Hanson won 29 for the Giants, each, breaking the record of 26 wins by Larry Jaster in 1906.

Davey Lopes of the Beaneaters stole 126 bases, a new record unlikely to be broken anytime soon.

The White Sox and expansion Dodger (the Brooklyn team is called the Superbas), won the West divisions in each league.

The playoffs begin.

At the end of the 1916 regular season, Clayton Kershaw, the "Walter Johnson" (in another parallel universe) of this League, has won 325 games and lost 144, with a career ERA of 2.49. No pitcher comes close to him in career statistics: Bert Blyleven became only the second pitcher to pass 200 wins in 1916, with 203 against 171 losses, and an ERA of 3.24. Of pitchers with at least 100 games started, Kershaw's ERA is the best,with Carl Hubbell, lifetime record of 87-62 second at 2.82, and Pedro Martinez, now retired, with a lifetime record of 195-128 and a career ERA of 3.05 in third place all time.

Frank Robinson, now with the expansion Indianapolis Black Sox, continues to lead the all time Home Run list with 457, with Ted Williams in second at 440 homers. At 31 and 32 respectively, each has a chance to be the first to reach the plateau of 500 home runs in a career.

Ty Cobb passed 1000 Stolen Bases lifetime at 1,057, compared to Tim Raines' 918. Each is still active. Sherry Magee's 567 is a distant third.

In 1916, Happy Felsch of the Colts led the majors with a .357 average, one point , better than Ty Cobb's AL leading .356. Ken Griffey Jr. hit 52 home runs for the Giants, which ties the old, now surpassed record of Pafko, and Larry Walker of the Brewers also reached 50 homers.Lefty Gomez struck out 349 batters for the Black Sox, and the Blues were led by Tom Seaver's 23 wins and 321 Ks.

Doc Ayers of Oklahoma City at 2.29, and Carl Hubbell at 2.54 for the Boston Beaneaters of the NL led each league in ERA.
Whoa! That is one hell of an expansion. 50%. Wow! Keep it up. Sounds like it was crazy for a while (great teams, great players, great seasons) after expansion. Probably due to watered down talent. I've had a lot of the players you're talking about from your league in my league. Still have yet to see some of these guys - Blyleven, Cobb, Hubbell, Felsch, Walker, maybe Pafko, and Magee (I think - could be wrong - don't have the game open right now) and probably more. Kershaw and Griffey Jr. were busts in my league. In fact Jr. was outplayed by Sr. if you can believe it.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:22 AM   #28
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Whoa! That is one hell of an expansion. 50%. Wow! Keep it up. Sounds like it was crazy for a while (great teams, great players, great seasons) after expansion. Probably due to watered down talent. I've had a lot of the players you're talking about from your league in my league. Still have yet to see some of these guys - Blyleven, Cobb, Hubbell, Felsch, Walker, maybe Pafko, and Magee (I think - could be wrong - don't have the game open right now) and probably more. Kershaw and Griffey Jr. were busts in my league. In fact Jr. was outplayed by Sr. if you can believe it.
I was getting bewildered by how many players were on the rosters plus the three minor league levels (AAA, AA and A), and how many of those were basically useless, players who had not had an at bat in the majors in 7 or 8 years, or who were never going to be brought up by the main team.

I also noted that there were at the same time, too many good players being stuck in the minors.

So first, I culled the useless players - anyone over 30 who had not played for a long time and who had no real life stats anywhere near their age in the league.

Then I expanded and ran the fantasy draft, and that created a little better distribution of talent, I think, a lot of good players who can now finally get on the major league rosters.

Then I finally realized, after a failed experiment with 40-man roster rules and Rule 5 draft (I don't like, too complicated and does not solve my problem, so after one season I ended that), that there are the age limit and number of pro-season controls available for leagues !!

These solved the problem.

I have set it at A: ages 17-25, max. 8 years pro service; AA: 18-29, max 10 years of pro service; AAA: 21-35, no limit on years of service.

This means that if you haven't been promoted to AA after up to 8 years and by age 25, you will be released or made a free agent - and I will see later depending on how things go, whether I should run an occasional and limited set of rounds of a free agent draft or just delete all free agents every few years - I am playing without the financial system, so no signings should happen. If you haven't been promoted to AAA by the time you are 29, you are done as well, and if you are 35 you should be in the majors, otherwise you are retired. I saw that the minors risk with random debut becoming permanent dumping grounds for ex-players as they age, which I don't want.

So, problem solved. I think. I am still learning this game. But the age and maximums for leagues is a great tool for those of us who don't love dealing with the 40 man roster rules.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:40 AM   #29
italyprof
All Star Reserve

So, update:

We have completed the 1918 season. The Blues won the World Series in both 1916 and 1917 somehow, despite the loss of Mickey Mantle in the expansion fantasy draft.

Johnny Mize stepped up as a superstar, and Bobby Thomson filled in for Mantle quite well. The pitching of Tom Seaver and Three-Finger Brown was responsible for the rest. The rest of the team seems ordinary enough: Art Shamsky in right field, Chase Headley at third base, Horace Clark at second base (one of the banes of my early years as a Yankees fan). Hardly world beaters, but we won narrowly in 1916, in two 7 game series, and then swept the powerful Giants in 1917 in four games.

But we came in third in 1918, as the Athletics took over the division and the Oklahoma City Cowboys won the AL pennant and defeated the Pittsburgh Pirates in the Series. League batting averages were .263 in each league overall - it has varied from .245-.265 over the 18 seasons played, and league ERAs were 4.20 in the AL, 4.11 in the NL. The extremes have been 3.51 and 4.36 over the years.

THE FIRST PLAYERS HAVE BEEN ELECTED TO THE HALL OF FAME:

(a very cool thing that rewards years of patient world-building no?):

Mike Donlin, Pedro Martinez, Tex Hughson and Pat Malone are the first four to enter the Hall.

The great Clayton Kershaw retired finally. He is a sure Hall of Famer. His final career stats: W 333 - L 149. ERA 2.59 3,917 Strikeouts in 4,385 innings. 618 games pitched.

These numbers seem likely to stand for a long time. But a rookie named Walter Johnson just entered the league for the coming 1919 season. hmm...

Ron Santo of the Orioles led the AL in batting in 1917, hitting .370, and Santo also hit 55 home runs, though Mize's 149 RBI prevented him from winning a Triple Crown. Detroit's Derek Jeter led the league in triples with 16. Bob Dernier of the San Francisco Seals stole 106 bases and Eddie Collins of the Cowboys stole 97. Detroit's Chris Short won the ERA crown for the AL with 2.49, and Curt Simmons of Oklahoma City (OC) won 22 games.

In the NL, Kris Bryant of Brooklyn hit .358, and Mickey Mantle hit .353 for the Los Angeles Dodgers. There was a big home run race in the NL: Glenn Davis and Ken Griffey Jr. of the Giants hit 56 and 53 respectively, Gus Zernial hit 53 for the Superbas (have to change the LA and Brooklyn names around - Dodgers for Brooklyn, Angels and Hollywood Stars after the old PCL team, for LA, dodgers comes from dodging trolley cars which LA people don't do.) Mickey Mantle hit 50 for LA, and Ted Williams hit 47 for the Houston Colts. Carl Hubbell won 23 games and posted a 2.37 ERA for the Beaneaters (maybe time to think up a better NL team name for Boston too). Hubbell struck out 252 to win the pitching triple crown.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:49 AM   #30
italyprof
All Star Reserve

in 1918, Eddie Collins hit .364 for OC with 119 stolen bases, and Baltimore's Ron Santo .352 with a league-leading 38 homers to establish each as the new stars of the American League.

Charles "Chief" Bender is the new ace of the AL, his 1.91 ERA led the league easily, Seaver of the Blues was second at 2.36, and Bender won 24 and struck out 279 to win the pitching triple crown.

MIckey Mantle hit .379 with 45 home runs to lead the NL in both categories, and Paul Konerko drove in 138 runs for LA as well, as George Brett came in second in RBI with 122 for the Beaneaters.

I note that the home run totals re-adjusted suddenly, after the last two seasons of record numbers and several players hitting 50, something I don't want.

I think we really saw a simulation of the real world effects of expansion. After a season or so, better pitchers have also arrived in the majors who were waiting in the minors and things are back to normal. I think.

Stolen bases seem out of control, an effect of the 1986 historical year setting I guess, but Armando Marsans's 130 stolen bases seems a little disproportionate. Anyway, this is now the new all-time season record.

Cincinnati's Roy Hallady won 23 games and posted a 2.14 ERA, best in the NL.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #31
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was getting bewildered by how many players were on the rosters plus the three minor league levels (AAA, AA and A), and how many of those were basically useless, players who had not had an at bat in the majors in 7 or 8 years, or who were never going to be brought up by the main team.

I also noted that there were at the same time, too many good players being stuck in the minors.

So first, I culled the useless players - anyone over 30 who had not played for a long time and who had no real life stats anywhere near their age in the league.

Then I expanded and ran the fantasy draft, and that created a little better distribution of talent, I think, a lot of good players who can now finally get on the major league rosters.

Then I finally realized, after a failed experiment with 40-man roster rules and Rule 5 draft (I don't like, too complicated and does not solve my problem, so after one season I ended that), that there are the age limit and number of pro-season controls available for leagues !!

These solved the problem.

I have set it at A: ages 17-25, max. 8 years pro service; AA: 18-29, max 10 years of pro service; AAA: 21-35, no limit on years of service.

This means that if you haven't been promoted to AA after up to 8 years and by age 25, you will be released or made a free agent - and I will see later depending on how things go, whether I should run an occasional and limited set of rounds of a free agent draft or just delete all free agents every few years - I am playing without the financial system, so no signings should happen. If you haven't been promoted to AAA by the time you are 29, you are done as well, and if you are 35 you should be in the majors, otherwise you are retired. I saw that the minors risk with random debut becoming permanent dumping grounds for ex-players as they age, which I don't want.

So, problem solved. I think. I am still learning this game. But the age and maximums for leagues is a great tool for those of us who don't love dealing with the 40 man roster rules.
I set injuries to "High (Realistic Modern Day)" to help get more players to the big league level, and I use a 5 round amateur draft with enough players for 5 rounds worth, except in pre-expansion seasons (1960, 1961, 1968, 1976, 1992, 1997) when I fill the pool with enough players for six rounds and make the draft five rounds long. It never goes five rounds long due to all the compensatory picks between the 1st and 2nd rounds, but all the players get drafted rather than made free agents.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #32
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Thanks. Everyone has their preferences. It seems you like to get everyone in the game and to use as many players as possible in the majors, which I understand.

I instead hate clutter. I felt like the league had gotten cluttered. Partly my fault for setting too many round in the draft, and I have now set it to 5 rounds as you do, though to avoid too many awful and useless players (we differ on this question I think), I set it for enough players for 8 round, even if we only draft 5.

So, two things I want to avoid are: 1) too many players especially ones that just sit in minors or on rosters without being useful to teams; and 2) players who in real life did not do much.

To clarify: a mediocre player is fine, I like those. I don't like having a whole draft of players who had 1 at bat in their whole career, or who had 40 at bats in one season and then nothing. So after that one season, I want them to disappear soon.

A third thing I don't like, though I know a lot of people here like it for the variable aspect of this game, is having a player who had one at bat ever, or a pitcher who pitched 7 innings in his whole career lead the league in batting or win the Cy Young Award.

I understand this is fun for some people, but it ruins the "realism" (I know, I know) of the game for me. I don't mind if Sam Bowens hits 40 home runs, or Ed Kranepool is an MVP, that is a variation. But someone who never got out of the dugout being better than Babe Ruth might as well be a game using fictional players to me.
Hence my interest in cleaning the rosters up and the tools of age limits at each minor league level and max years of pro service I think allow me to do that without doing violence to the game or league itself.

As to injuries: I know I am lame, or lazy, but anything beyond "low" - which is where I set it, with player fatigue on "high", doesn't work for me.

I end up just being the medical report. Spend all the time moving players around to compensate for injuries rather than playing baseball.

So if my best player, and two best pitchers and another regular are all on the disabled list, even if it costs me the pennant, that's okay. It happens in real life.

But spending the whole time dealing with injuries, daily, real world or not, gets boring. You try to sim a week and you don't get one day done without two or three injuries, and you are tempted to turn on the TV instead, or get work done even, and you know where that leads...
Old 03-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #33
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I know Action doesn't manage or gm. I don't either. That makes using a higher injury setting a lot easier to stomach. When someone gets hurt, it's the AI's job to deal with it. Sure it sucks when a Hank Aaron goes down during a season he's on pace to have one of the best seasons ever, but that's life.

I know what you mean by work. That's pretty much why about 2 or 3 years ago I started watching instead of actually running a team. Of course, explaining to someone that you sit for hours simply hitting the space bar over and over watching imaginary baseball games .....well you get the picture
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #34
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks. Everyone has their preferences. It seems you like to get everyone in the game and to use as many players as possible in the majors, which I understand.

I instead hate clutter. I felt like the league had gotten cluttered. Partly my fault for setting too many round in the draft, and I have now set it to 5 rounds as you do, though to avoid too many awful and useless players (we differ on this question I think), I set it for enough players for 8 round, even if we only draft 5.

So, two things I want to avoid are: 1) too many players especially ones that just sit in minors or on rosters without being useful to teams; and 2) players who in real life did not do much.

To clarify: a mediocre player is fine, I like those. I don't like having a whole draft of players who had 1 at bat in their whole career, or who had 40 at bats in one season and then nothing. So after that one season, I want them to disappear soon.

A third thing I don't like, though I know a lot of people here like it for the variable aspect of this game, is having a player who had one at bat ever, or a pitcher who pitched 7 innings in his whole career lead the league in batting or win the Cy Young Award.

I understand this is fun for some people, but it ruins the "realism" (I know, I know) of the game for me. I don't mind if Sam Bowens hits 40 home runs, or Ed Kranepool is an MVP, that is a variation. But someone who never got out of the dugout being better than Babe Ruth might as well be a game using fictional players to me.
Hence my interest in cleaning the rosters up and the tools of age limits at each minor league level and max years of pro service I think allow me to do that without doing violence to the game or league itself.

As to injuries: I know I am lame, or lazy, but anything beyond "low" - which is where I set it, with player fatigue on "high", doesn't work for me.

I end up just being the medical report. Spend all the time moving players around to compensate for injuries rather than playing baseball.

So if my best player, and two best pitchers and another regular are all on the disabled list, even if it costs me the pennant, that's okay. It happens in real life.

But spending the whole time dealing with injuries, daily, real world or not, gets boring. You try to sim a week and you don't get one day done without two or three injuries, and you are tempted to turn on the TV instead, or get work done even, and you know where that leads...
I think the difference between Mr. Watts, myself and you is that we play as commish/official historian guys rather than taking over a team. I can see how you'd want injuries lower if you were taking over a team. The High (Realistic Modern Day) setting believe it or not produces less injuries over a season on a league wide basis than happen IRL in today's game. Some poster named injury log (given the handle, he may have designed the injuries.txt file - I don't know) did a comprehensive study a while back and concluded that even though it seems like there are too many injuries in OOTP, there aren't nearly as many as are happening IRL. I think this even applies to the "Very High" setting. That said, you should always set them to your taste, because as one former poster used to say: "It's your game, play it your way".
Old 03-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #35
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Man, Spritze made the new OOTP database right? Someone needs to check if he's in the Ron Santo fan club or something? Took forever for the guy to make the Hall, but if OOTP18 was in charge the Hall would probably named after him.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #36
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Man, Spritze made the new OOTP database right? Someone needs to check if he's in the Ron Santo fan club or something? Took forever for the guy to make the Hall, but if OOTP18 was in charge the Hall would probably named after him.
Don't you use Real Stats though? If you do, it's just Mr. Santo's real life numbers, which he admittedly seems to annihilate in every sim I've ever seen. Not Spritze's doing really. Maybe a Ghost in the Machine that's a big Santo fan?
Old 03-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #37
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Bad attempt at humor I guess. If you remember Santo was one of the main players featured in the earlier discussions in the bug forum. Just commented because I see he's once again hitting .370.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #38
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Bad attempt at humor I guess. If you remember Santo was one of the main players featured in the earlier discussions in the bug forum. Just commented because I see he's once again hitting .370.
How could I forget? He was the frickin' poster boy for crazy OOTP18 seasons.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #39
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Italyprof, I really hope you keep this league going for a good stretch and post some screenshots in the future. For some time now, I've tossed around doing what you did in your recent expansion. By that I mean releasing everyone, adding teams and basically holding a new draft. It's a very interesting move and I applaud you for having the guts(guts I've never had) to try it.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #40
smiller
Major Leagues

How are you playing? Are you the manager or GM of one team (Cleveland?) or in Commissioner mode? Do you play out games or just sim?
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote