Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 06-16-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
Chadness
Minors (Double A)

Combination Topic: Draft Pointers?/Pitcher Pointers?

Drafting: So, what are your tips for Inaugural (and other) drafting? Obviously Starting Pitchers go pretty fast and Middle Relievers are in overabundance but what else do you notice? I think I've noticed that you need to grab a good catcher and first baseman quickly. Closers take longer to go than I expect them to. I've seen Broxton hang around halfway into a draft or farther.

Pitching: There was a helpful post explaining fielders (IE: RF being mostly arm, etc) so how about with pitching? What makes the difference between a Reliever and a Setup pitcher? What contributes to good strikeout numbers? If I want to make a makeshift starter out of a reliever what should I be looking for? Number of pitches, no matter how lowly rated or is good control and stuff combined going to mean good outings even with just a fastball and slider?
Chadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Supernovae
Minors (Double A)

I'm not sure I'm going to be much help with Inaugural drafts since it has been quite some time since I've last performed an inaugural draft.

With the Amateur draft I think it depends on where you are slotted in the draft. I'd say if you're in the top 15 then look at a Starting Pitching as they go very quickly; however, if it's a weak SP class, then you're going best available. In positions 15-30 then I'd strongly look at taking a hitter since they go very quickly in the Amateur draft as well.

I've also had some compensation picks, so, if you get them too, then look at best hitter available or try taking a shot at a top RP. I've found that RPs are easy to come by well into the second round and a low-end RP in the third round. After round 3 it becomes best available again.

In general, as far as pitching, I look for a minimum of 55-60 for control, movement and control. I also try to look for pitchers with high groundball % (50+ is my starting point.) The number of pitchers and velocity are not very important to me. However, the slower the velocity he must have great control and the faster the stuff then he better have great movement. As far as number/type of pitchers I just make sure that the pitchers they throw have a minimum of 55-60 for rating.

Below is a screen capture of a pitcher I raced out (before the trade deadline) to trade for when my ace (Zach Greinke) went down with an injury. I'm using the 1-20 scale there.

Hope that helps,
Supernovae
Attached Images
Supernovae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
Supernovae
Minors (Double A)

For what it's worth, that pitcher (Ramon Silva) went:

4-4, 4.90 ERA, 11 games, 71.2 IP, 86 HA, 39 ER, 7 HR, 27 BB and 47 Ks. Also, 1.68 WHIP, .309 BAA,

Nothing to write an All-Star ballot for, but 1.6 K/BB ratio, EST 6.2 IP per game, for only 400K. There are better pitchers. I think if his stuff was a little better then he would have been a fine #5 starter.
Supernovae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Chadness
Minors (Double A)

The part about movement/velocity vs control/velocity was a nice tip. I couldn't figure out how to take those in.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
Chadness
Minors (Double A)

Oh also, strange thing happened. I drafted a pitcher rated 20/80 with potential for some number that was red or barely orange (around 30/80). Almost just got rid of him at the end of the season but because he had 45 control and a lot of pitches I gave him a chance. Don't think I ever used him as relief either. Well he goes out and puts on a great season, developing into a 62/80 with 67/80 potential. I didn't know prior to that occurrence that guys could do that. Had another SP, rated better initially, do some off and on work for years to "well you're not getting destroyed..." level of work. He was angry at one point for being minors and I nearly traded him. Didn't, then needed him a year later. He turns into a 50-55/80 with potential of 75/80! He won't develop past that 50 level, but still...
Old 07-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #6
cooluu
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Typically, pitchers with more pitches are good. Most relievers have only two pitches. When you try to convert a reliever with only two pitches into a starter it won't work 95% of the time. I remember finding a 4-pitch reliever in my minors and making him a starter.

As for drafting, I usually go with best available, so I can trade for need later. CFs can usually convert well to other positions. Middle infielders are usually overrated. It doesn't require much contact/power/defense to make a 5-star second basemen or shortstop. I'd take a 5-star OF over a 5-star 2B.
cooluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Raz Algool
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I've done a good job, if I can brag for a moment, in building and rebuilding my fictional team (the Bronx Wolfpack - my hometown team) through trades. I'm always drafting at the end of each round and all the starters are long gone. But there are always good relievers there. Pick up guys with a 4 or 5 potential rating ; they are great trade fodder in 2-1 or 3-1 deals for starters.
Raz Algool is offline   Reply With Quote