Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Live Update cards--What actually changed?

The download tells me whose overall ratings changed, however, it does not tell me what ratings changed on the card.

Since the game doesn't use the Overall rating, how can I tell what improved/degraded on my players?

I'm particularly interested in Garver, the Twin's catcher whose Overall keeps going up, but who plays like Charlie Brown for me.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
raslavens
Minors (Single A)

Agreed. I guess it's on us to take notes or build spreadsheets. Doesn't seem to me like Frankie Lindor's individual stats changed even though he had a great week.

I also want to know why there's so much inconsistency with the ratings, even after all these months. Why is rookie Yordan Alvarez still below a 70 overall? Why didn't Verlander or Cole finally reach 100 this week (after stellar performances) when they're arguably better than Scherzer and DeGrom? Why is veteran reliever Yusmeiro Pettit a lowly 59 when he's got a 2.78 ERA and .82 WHIP?

Last edited by raslavens; 09-09-2019 at 02:00 PM.
raslavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Suarez. :::::::::::::::::::

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:48 PM   #4
andybax
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raslavens View Post
I also want to know why there's so much inconsistency with the ratings, even after all these months. Why is rookie Yordan Alvarez still below a 70 overall? Why didn't Verlander or Cole finally reach 100 this week (after stellar performances) when they're arguably better than Scherzer and DeGrom? Why is veteran reliever Yusmeiro Pettit a lowly 59 when he's got a 2.78 ERA and .82 WHIP?
Ratings are a joke. Why is POTM Jack Flaherty an 88 when in August he put up a 0.71 ERA, a 0.737 WHIP, 11.1 SO/9, 5.22 SO/W over 6 starts (38 IP)? It's not like this is just a one-month stretch, either, since he's been MLB's best pitcher since the ASB.
andybax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
Maxfire5
Minors (Double A)

Verlander and Cole are hampered by their hr/9. Verlander is allowing 1.5 hr/9; the highest rate in his career so his movement is down. Stuff (k/9) and control (bb/9) are fine though.

Cole is allowing 1.3 hr/9, second highest in his career, so again, movement is hampering him. Stuff and control are fine since his k/9 and bb/9 are both solid.

Jack Flaherty is allowing 1.2 hr/9 and ZIPS isnt too kind to him. Projecting him to give him 9 runs, in 3 more HR, in his final 20 innings, so he would finish with a 3.65 ERA, nearly 0.66 higher than his current ERA. Also projecting a WHIP of 1.25 which is 25% higher than his current WHIP. Essentially they're expecting regression.

The calculations include a number of variables and the overall of a player does too. In the case of Verlander and cole, they're hampered by HRs, which is pretty much every live pitcher out there besides someone like soroka, etc. For Flaherty, they're expecting regression, similar to Lucas Giolito, Jorge Soler, etc. These cards will benefit greatly in the next version when ZIPS accounts for a full year of significant production.

Just reiterating what the Devs say on nearly all of these posts so I'm trying to save them time so they can keep working on Tournaments!

F2P Pack Only Team

F2P Missouri Theme Team
Maxfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybax View Post
Ratings are a joke. Why is POTM Jack Flaherty an 88 when in August he put up a 0.71 ERA, a 0.737 WHIP, 11.1 SO/9, 5.22 SO/W over 6 starts (38 IP)? It's not like this is just a one-month stretch, either, since he's been MLB's best pitcher since the ASB.
ERA and WHIP are completely irrelevant to this game's pitcher modeling. You see, the game actually attempts to separate the luck component from the skill component and assign ratings accordingly.

In August, Flaherty did pitch well - I'm not disputing that. But he also was INCREDIBLY lucky. His BABIP against was just .202. His strand rate was 96%. These are both huge red flags that indicate a lot of luck was involved.

If you look at FIP (which comes very close to the game's actual pitcher modeling) you'll see his FIP in August was literally 3X his ERA. And by FIP he wasn't even the best pitcher in August...he was 5th best. So yeah I think an 88 rating is fairly justifiable, not "a joke".
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #7
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybax View Post
This is because we do not solely base the POTM card ratings on the monthly stats. Otherwise they would be all ludicrous.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote