Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:49 AM   #41
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Tacko Fall is not selected

Kind of sad. But he will get a summer league and training camp invite.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:52 AM   #42
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Also surprised Jontay Porter did not get selected. Best passing big man on the draft.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:43 AM   #43
Splitter24
Hall Of Famer

My high school buddy's son got drafted in the 2nd round, Justin James to the Kings. I don't follow basketball very much. I knew he was a good player and thought he'd get a look by somebody. Didn't know he'd get drafted, though. Wow.

Currently Reading: The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

"Well, the game is afoot. I’ll take anal bum cover for 7,000." - "Sean Connery" SNL Celebrity Jeopardy

R.I.P. Tommy Holmes 1917-2008
Splitter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:15 AM   #44
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

As an IU fan, who doesn't follow NBA too much, I was amused to see that Romeo Langford (IU) and Carsen Edwards (Purdue) were both drafted by the Celtics.

Edit: did a quick re-read and it appears that Edwards was actually drafted by the 76ers and then traded to Boston.

Let's Go Crew

Last edited by Boomcoach; 06-21-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:45 AM   #45
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Other players I'd be delighted to see drafted by the Mavs.....

Bol Bol
Matisse Thybulle
Jaxson Hayes
Dylan Windler
Shamorie Ponds
CJ Massinburg
Goga Bitadze
John Konchar
Chuma Okeke
Jarrett Culver

That last one is a fantasy for Dallas. He'll be long gone by their pick.
Dallas traded away their only remaining pick. Three of these players went undrafted with Ponds signing with the Rockets, Konchar with the Grizzlies, and no word yet on who is lining up for Massinburg. CJ is a Dallas kid so I hope the Mavs give him a shot.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #46
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
no word yet on who is lining up for Massinburg. CJ is a Dallas kid so I hope the Mavs give him a shot.
Nets
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:43 PM   #47
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Tacko Fall signed a summer league contract with Boston
Old 06-22-2019, 11:13 PM   #48
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Tacko Fall signed a summer league contract with Boston
I'll be very surprised, if Fall isn't on an NBA roster next season. Even with the changes in the NBA game, I expect Fall to have a useful career. He rivals Gheorge Muresan as the largest player in NBA history.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:51 AM   #49
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

I was hoping my Cavaliers would draft Bol Bol.

In the dialect spoken in the part of the Philippines where my wife is from, "bol bol" means "pubic hair."
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #50
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
I was hoping my Cavaliers would draft Bol Bol.

In the dialect spoken in the part of the Philippines where my wife is from, "bol bol" means "pubic hair."
So half the time bol means "pubic" & the other half it means "hair"?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:37 PM   #51
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Anyone besides me surprised State Farm is still running the Chris Paul/James Harden commercials?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:44 PM   #52
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Anyone besides me surprised State Farm is still running the Chris Paul/James Harden commercials?
I am sure they paid a lot of money out to those two. But it's damn hilarious knowing they cannot stand one another in real life.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:34 PM   #53
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

The NBA has to redo their award show. I am a hardcore NBA fan and even I don't care that it is tonight.

I mean I have bets I made back in September and October riding on some of the awards. But I can read the winners tomorrow.
Announcing the awards a week and a half after the Finals and days after the draft kills my interest.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 06-25-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:33 PM   #54
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
The NBA has to redo their award show. I am a hardcore NBA fan and even I don't care that it is tonight.

I mean I have bets I made make in September and October riding on some of the awards. But I can read the winners tomorrow.
Announcing the awards a week and a half after the Finals and days after the draft kills my interest.
While driving around this morning, two different sports-talk radio shows were saying essentially the same thing.

My suggestion would be to hold the show on one of the two off days between games 2 and 3 of the finals. That way, they can promote the hell out of it during both conference finals, and during the first two games of the finals. And by not doing it later in the finals (after, say, game three or four), you don't risk it being a distraction to an awesome 7-game series, nor do you risk promoting while people have already tuned out because the series is already 3-0... And if any winners end up being one a team participating in the finals, he can be honored prior to the start of game 3 (or game five, if that's a home game for him and the series is currently 1-1).

Either that, or have the awards show and draft on back-to-back nights, and cross-promote... Or combine 'em!!!

That all said, there's no timing solution nor amount of promotion that could get me to to watch it... (although I do somewhat pay attention to the draft...)

Last edited by thehef; 06-25-2019 at 08:21 PM. Reason: typo
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:39 PM   #55
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

As I say here just about every year, the draft is always a fun time in our house. The wife and I enjoy watching the young guys finally reach their dream in front of their parents, siblings and friends.

But I don't understand why they do the bit near the beginning where they introduce draft candidates. It's like something out of a beauty pageant.

And I think it's silly to have a player traded on draft night, but get drafted by the team that has just traded him. It's the biggest event of his young life; let him be photographed by his family and friends wearing the cap of the team that he's actually going to play for.

And I didn't appreciate the prolonged interview with Zion Williamson. The kid was very emotional. Let him cry without a camera hovering in his face.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:44 PM   #56
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post

And I think it's silly to have a player traded on draft night, but get drafted by the team that has just traded him. It's the biggest event of his young life; let him be photographed by his family and friends wearing the cap of the team that he's actually going to play for.
It is silly, but the trades that are reported are not official until the league office processes them the first week of July.

I would have to look them to see which trades they were, but I can think of two examples where draft night trades were never approved by the league office because one of the teams pulled out of the deal after the draft because one of the players involved in each of the deals failed their physical.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:15 PM   #57
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Looking more and more like we will see KD and Irving on the Nets

If this happens. That Porzingis trade for the Knicks looks even more awful. It was awful at the time, but if they get no one then oh my...

And it was funny how quickly Knicks fans turned on Porzingis and adopted the Mitchell Robinson is better mantra
Old 06-29-2019, 10:56 PM   #58
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Darren Collison announces his retirement. Very odd, he could have made a big payday this summer and probably had been his last big one.

But in his letter on the the Undefeated he seems to be very religious and wants to retire and do works in the community.
Good on him
Old 06-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #59
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Here is perhaps the biggest regular season game in NBA history. It took place on January 9th, 1972 in Milwaukee between the defending champion Bucks and one of the greatest teams the NBA has ever seen, the '72 Lakers. Milwaukee started off their title defense by winning 17 of their first 18 games and entered this matchup of goliaths with a 35-8 record. The Lakers were a hugely disappointing 48-34 the previous season and Joe Mullaney was fired as head coach to be replaced by Hall of Famer Bill Sharman. Los Angeles was an NBA best 39-3 going into the clash of titans and hadn't lost a game in 2 months and 4 days.

One note: Midway through the 2nd quarter Kareem Abdul-Jabbar sucker punches Lakers power forward Happy Hairston and only receives a personal foul for his cowardly actions. No ejection or suspension resulted as would have been mandatory in the modern NBA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lw6Qz0yGtM
Old 06-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #60
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Known signings:
Klay - Warriors
Kyrie - Nets
Kemba - Celtics

also KD and Kawhi on the Clips maybe?

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote