Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
sabakon
Minors (Triple A)

So...my first card was Fred Merkle....

...not off to a great start

sabakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
Splitter24
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabakon View Post

I got Fred Merkle on two of my teams. Apparently, you can never have enough Boners.

Currently Reading: The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

"Well, the game is afoot. I’ll take anal bum cover for 7,000." - "Sean Connery" SNL Celebrity Jeopardy

R.I.P. Tommy Holmes 1917-2008
Splitter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
sabakon
Minors (Triple A)

Oh well, at least it makes for a good story.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #4
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

I love the idea of a Notorious Goat category.. Fred Merkle, Mickey Owen, Bill Buckner, and Ralph Branca might would even have half decent cards if you pick the right season. Calling them Unsung Heroes kind of ruins it, though.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #5
justpatrick
Major Leagues

There´s actually an interesting story to go with Merkle´s baserunning gaff. I think I read it in Fred Lieb´s Baseball as I Have Known It, which is a great book by the way.

From what I recall just a week or so before Johnny Evers (or was it Tinker?) tried the same play against a different team, but the umpire said no, the game was over. Later, after thinking it over, the ump decided the Cubs were right and vowed, if it ever happened again, to call the play correctly. So Lieb asserts it wasn´t Merkle who pulled the boner (he was just following the lax custom of the time), but rather McGraw who should have been following the goings on of the rival Cubs and notified his players to play it by the book.
justpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabakon View Post

Don't feel so bad getting a Marvelous Marv Throneberry on my team
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:45 AM   #7
Splitter24
Hall Of Famer

To go along with my Merkles, I got Bob "Sugar" Cain twice. Outside of being the guy who had the misfortune of pitching to Eddie Gaedel, not much stands out. Of course, he is a low Iron.

Currently Reading: The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

"Well, the game is afoot. I’ll take anal bum cover for 7,000." - "Sean Connery" SNL Celebrity Jeopardy

R.I.P. Tommy Holmes 1917-2008
Splitter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #8
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpatrick View Post
There´s actually an interesting story to go with Merkle´s baserunning gaff. I think I read it in Fred Lieb´s Baseball as I Have Known It, which is a great book by the way.

From what I recall just a week or so before Johnny Evers (or was it Tinker?) tried the same play against a different team, but the umpire said no, the game was over. Later, after thinking it over, the ump decided the Cubs were right and vowed, if it ever happened again, to call the play correctly. So Lieb asserts it wasn´t Merkle who pulled the boner (he was just following the lax custom of the time), but rather McGraw who should have been following the goings on of the rival Cubs and notified his players to play it by the book.
In addition to that, I believe they still had ample chances to win the pennant but didn't. That was a TEAM failure.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #9
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
In addition to that, I believe they still had ample chances to win the pennant but didn't. That was a TEAM failure.
Exactly. Some of McGraw´s Giants teams were really snake bit if you think about it. Merkle, Snodgrass, and Meyers all making some of the most famous mistakes in baseball history, the last two in the World Series no less.
justpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #10
JayCantrell
Bat Boy

I got Don Zimmer and Tommy LaSorda -- along with Jeffrey Leonard. I'm glad there is no team chemistry in PT. BTW, it is a total fail if "Penitentiary Face" isn't Leonard's official OOTP nickname.
JayCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:50 PM   #11
sabakon
Minors (Triple A)

Now, all I have to do is figure out what I'm doing in this game. Do I just collect cards, set up a lineup/rotation, and hope for the best when the sims run? That's fine, btw, I just wondered.