Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Minor League and 19th century

Will we get minor leagues before 1919? The players are in the minor league database so why not start them in 1886...

Also will we finally get the real team progression in the 19th century this year? I mean no fake stuff like the White Stocking become the Mansfields who become the Marylands and finally became the White Stockings again. Teams disbanded in the minor league so I don't understand why it's impossible in the ML... At least it would be less annoying to make the move if the real teams each years show up, no fake Centenials by exemple to delete each seasons.

The complete set (1871 to 1959)

Just the update (1950 to 1959)
AESP_pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:18 PM   #2
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

there has been an on-going push for 3 years now to get minors back into the 19th c., or at least to 1901. Unsuccessful so far. The game as it is now, only adds a minor league has at least one team with major league affiliation. But don't stop asking. One day, we may prevail. or so i hope.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:24 PM   #3
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Not minor league per se but the Federal League and the Negro Leagues are created without a link with the ML.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:26 PM   #4
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AESP_pres View Post
Not minor league per se but the Federal League and the Negro Leagues are created without a link with the ML.
you're correct. but i think the Negro League push had been going on for sometime, esp. since Spritze had them in his alt. database for a number of years.
The Federal league was another major league, which i wished had been reflected in the set-up (as i wish the Negro Leagues had been), but i understand the game is programmed for just 2 major leagues. Certainly wish that would change, or they'd improve the Association feature, which i tried once and found to be at best marginally effective. (Maybe that needs better descriptions on how it can be used, or improvements...)
Anyway - yes, i believe those minor leagues could be put in place but the decision hasn't been made to allow it yet. As mentioned, the players (i've been told) are tucked away somewhere in the database, patiently waiting.
All we can do is keep requesting ..... and keep requesting ...
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #5
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

The players (1877-2018) are in the game as free agents. All of them we have are live.
EXCEPT
In the wings are the Japanese, Korean and AAGPBL players.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:05 AM   #6
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

AAGPBL would be the hardest to implement, because every single line of text would need to be checked for pronouns.

Japanese and Korean players are a lot easier to deal with.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:08 AM   #7
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
AAGPBL would be the hardest to implement, because every single line of text would need to be checked for pronouns.
Heh. Well, I would suggest the issue is more that the AAGPBL played a modified version of softball for nearly all of its existence rather than baseball, as its playing rules make clear. But then, if the rather different rules of 19th baseball can be recreated in terms of resulting statistics, then the AAGPBL could too.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:51 AM   #8
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

I'd just skip the pronouns altogether. Just use real nouns or even antinouns?

The game is flexible enough to recreate most anything.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:08 PM   #9
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post

Japanese and Korean players are a lot easier to deal with.
As LGO says, you could just ignore pronouns. In an ideal world if that is ever added it would be alongside an option for female pronouns, but meh.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:30 PM   #10
The Game
Hall Of Famer

How can we push to get awards to show up on player profiles for NeL & FL? I'm sure it would either be harrd to code or just to differentiate between minor leagues and MLB
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:32 PM   #11
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AESP_pres View Post
Will we get minor leagues before 1919? The players are in the minor league database so why not start them in 1886...

Also will we finally get the real team progression in the 19th century this year? I mean no fake stuff like the White Stocking become the Mansfields who become the Marylands and finally became the White Stockings again. Teams disbanded in the minor league so I don't understand why it's impossible in the ML... At least it would be less annoying to make the move if the real teams each years show up, no fake Centenials by exemple to delete each seasons.
I put my own minor leagues in and working well now, just need to fold them before the real ones show up

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:39 AM   #12
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Yeah I know the procedure but I don't use it, in fact I create the league and move the player manually starting in 1886 with the Southern Association. I create a real history untill I take my Expos at the end of 1968, so I'd like to have the processus automatic as the players and the move are already in the databases (minor league and transaction).

Old 03-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #13
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

There is no minor league transaction database in OOTP.

There are close to 200,000 minor league players in the database so any such file would be massive and even large.

The minor leagues and teams would need to be added to their respective files which could be a quite large project and take some time.

At this time their seem to be a lot of gamers who want more minor leagues added but a dearth of volunteers to do it.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:20 PM   #14
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
There is no minor league transaction database in OOTP.
My error... I meant the transactions when independant league players are signed by a major league team.

I understand that doing a database with all the moves in every minor league would be insane and way too much to ask...
Attached Images

Last edited by AESP_pres; 03-14-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:23 AM   #15
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

It would be insane, but it is on my personal "it would be nice to have" list.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #16
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

How many minor leaguers are in the database in 1886? Just the ones who eventually reached the majors, or is it more inclusive than that?

One of my projects the first year the minor leagues were added was to try to set up the Texas League in 1919 (the only league the game has) with actual lineups and transactions taken from the Sporting News archives and handled manually. There were a long series of problems with that idea and I had to give it up, But I can confirm that trying to do those transactions or even find them all is insane.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #17
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
How many minor leaguers are in the database in 1886? 718 Just the ones who eventually reached the majors, NO or is it more inclusive than that? YES
One of my projects the first year the minor leagues were added was to try to set up the Texas League in 1919 (the only league the game has) with actual lineups and transactions taken from the Sporting News archives and handled manually. There were a long series of problems with that idea and I had to give it up, But I can confirm that trying to do those transactions or even find them all is insane.
all the players from the eastern, southern, Pennsylvania and international leagues.

Last edited by Spritze; 03-16-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #18
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
all the players from the eastern, southern, Pennsylvania and international leagues.
So in theory we could create those leagues in game and manually place everyone on the proper team.

One more question? Do we have the ability to unaffiliate minor league teams in the game?
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #19
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
So in theory we could create those leagues in game and manually place everyone on the proper team. if you used the proper team id's the players would automagically go to the correct team.

One more question? Do we have the ability to unaffiliate minor league teams in the game?
it is on the leagues/teams setup screen.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #20
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So in theory we could create those leagues in game and manually place everyone on the proper team.

I was sure glad to realized last year that I didn't need to make manually all the moves for the Union Association and the Player League anymore...

Sure happy to know it's the same with the minor leagues... never worked as I use the Baseball Reference team ID. Guess I'll relaunch a game to try it before getting OOTP 20 friday