Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 08-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #21
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1976 END OF REGULAR SEASON

Frustration abounds as the Texas Rangers again have the 2nd best record in MLB, but again miss out on the playoffs. We did all we could in the last couple weeks, winning the last 7 games of the season. But Oakland was too steady and held us off.

The Athletics will face the Orioles in the ALCS, while the Phillies take on the Reds in the NL. Interestingly our in-state rival Astros won their last 14 games (!) to force a tie with the Reds, but they lost their Game 163 to the Big Red Machine.

I'm not a huge fan of the wildcard, but in the last couple of years Texas players, management, and fans certainly have a bit of a gripe with the current playoff format.

I've attached the league standings, and our pitching and hitting stats for the season. I haven't really figured out a way to embed them within these posts to my satisfaction, so they're just sitting there at the end.

The biggest clunker of the year was definitely Jeff Burroughs, who hit a shocking .184 and generated -1.6 WAR. Perhaps I've been too loyal to him, as his career was definitely up-and-down which doesn't play well to my recalc settings. With a better RF during the season we may have even won the division.

Mickey Rivers was the best of the batters: hitting .332, leading the league in stolen bases (though getting caught too much to generate value), and accumulating 5.4 WAR. Al Oliver was right behind with 5.3 WAR, generating a bit more power than Rivers at the plate.

Our pitching quartet was also great, with Nolan Ryan leading the way with a 2.55 ERA, and Gaylord Perry with a 2.66 FIP. Ryan came oh-so-close to 300 strikeouts, and led the league with a blistering 10.0 K/9. I'm sure both of them will get Cy Young consideration, with the voters likely overvaluing Ryan's 22 wins. Vida Blue was probably great for Oakland although I haven't checked.

Although we've missed out on the playoffs, we made some good Hall of Fame progress for our guys. But how do we get over the Oakland hump???
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #22
Argonaut
All Star Starter

MLB EXPANDS TO SEATTLE AND TORONTO

So the offseason has started, and our division nemesis Oakland Athletics have just triumphed in a Game 7 victory over the Cincinnati Reds in the World Series. The Big Red Machine hasn't totally taken over in my universe... it's more like the Big Green Machine.

As if that isn't bad news enough, I'm pretty sure the A's are getting Rickey Henderson this year in their intake. The rich get richer. We'll see how long they have him in the minors.

I'm at work and don't have the full details of my universe at hand, so I can't do the full 1976 recap yet. But I just wanted to share something that I found exciting: the 1977 AL Expansion is underway, with the Toronto Blue Jays and Seattle Mariners set to play next season. Seattle joins us in the AL West. There will be an expansion draft a day or so after free agency hits.

Now this current MLB alignment will mean that the AL and NL will be unbalanced for a very long time, until the Rockies and Marlins come around in 1993. Theoretically this means that it's harder to make the playoffs in the AL. But in practice, unless they manage to snag some great players from the other AI teams, I suspect the Mariners will be a punching bag for a while and our playoff chances won't be affected much. At least until they get Junior.

I can protect 15 players from my roster, with guys with 3 or fewer years experience automatically exempt. I'll get to keep all my star players, but there's still some interesting decisions. I've attached a preliminary protection list I put together. I've covered all of my position players and starting pitchers. The decisions come with my bench players versus my relievers.

As-is the list protects some relievers at the expense of my 2 good backups: catcher Bob Boone and utility infielder Manny Trillo. Both are good enough to start on a lot of teams. Boone especially is about as good as Jim Sundberg, but I favour the latter because he was a long-time Ranger in real life. So is it easier to find bench players or relievers? I'll think about it.

In other news, my ideal pitching target, real-life Ranger and Hall of Famer Bert Blyleven has become a free agent! I'll definitely try to sign him and have an unheard of Hall of Fame rotation. Not sure why the Twins didn't re-sign him, they have quite a bit of money available.
Attached Images

Last edited by Argonaut; 08-30-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #23
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1976 EXPANSION DRAFT

Well, the expansion draft is over and it was actually quite interesting. With the 1st selection, the Toronto Blue Jays selected none other than Pete Rose! I was quite shocked that the Reds didn't protect him. I guess he's getting old in OOTP terms at 35, but he's not getting old in Pete Rose terms. Cincinnati didn't have money problems, either. I've attached a screenshot of him in a Blue Jays cap, which looks kind of funny to me.

In the real-life expansion draft, Seattle and Toronto only had access to AL players. I guess that's not an option in OOTP, and everyone across MLB was fair game. The second overall pick had the Mariners selecting Tony Perez, so the Reds were in the business of giving away talent it seems. Perhaps they had too many good players to protect.

My unprotected list got raided quite heavily as I suspected, so my bullpen and bench is pretty much gone. I ended up with almost the same list as is screenshotted in the last post, although I protected Bob Boone instead of Mike Marshall. I figure a good backup catcher is more valuable than a RP, and I can always trade away Boone because he deserves to start. Here are my losses:

Lenny Randle (OF): Toronto Blue Jays
Jackie Brown (SP/RP): Toronto Blue Jays
Manny Trillo (IF): Seattle Mariners
Mike G Marshall (RP): Toronto Blue Jays
Steve Foucault (RP): Toronto Blue Jays

My utility outfielder and infielder are gone, so I'll have to find others. I'll also have to find some bullpen arms which shouldn't be too hard. Happy for Randle and Trillo to be getting more at bats though.

I had a look at the Blue Jays and Mariners, and their rosters look pretty grim. Mostly it's their starting pitching, which will probably get totally shelled. I don't know whether it's the AI's selection of players during the draft, or if teams protected all of the possible pitching talent. Probably a combination of both. Will be interesting to see how they do.
Attached Images
Old 09-05-2019, 06:31 PM   #24
Argonaut
All Star Starter

BERT BLYLEVEN

The Texas Rangers have made a big splash in free agency, by signing future Hall of Famer Bert Blyleven. In real life he played for Texas in 1976 and 1977, so this is a rare case of my getting a guy after the Rangers actually did. But the Twins always wanted too many assets for him, and free agency means "it's only money", as they say. Don't know why Minnesota didn't re-sign him, as they don't have money problems. In any case, it's our first big signing in the new era of free agency.

Blyleven has been excellent in my universe so far, picking up the Cy Young he never got in real life. Going by his historical stats, re-calc should make him a little less strong in the future and maybe not the Cy Young quality pitcher he was in his early 20s. But he'll still have a lengthy career and hopefully bring a lot of value to Texas. He's on board for 9 years at $650k per year, pretty much what he asked for. When he presumably goes into the Hall, he has a good shot at wearing a T cap if we keep him that long.

We now have a historically awesome 5-man rotation of some of the best pitchers to ever play for the Rangers, but all at the same time! I also poach the best pitcher from a fellow AL West team, so our batting should benefit a little bit too. Excited to go into 1977 and give Oakland a run for their money. Just need to sign some bench players and bullpen guys.
Attached Images
Old 09-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #25
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1977 ALL-STAR BREAK

After a bit of a break from the Rangers Dynasty I've gone ahead and played through to the 1977 All-Star Break. And finally, Texas is dominant.

Aside from adding Bert Blyleven, a 2nd major offseason acquisition saw the return of Toby Harrah to Texas. We moved Bump Wills to Cleveland in the deal. Harrah comes in to play 2B where he plays a decent defense and brings a nice bat. It seems like Texas and Cleveland love to deal with each other.

In the same move we also brought in closer Jim Kern from Cleveland, as the Indians had huge budget problems. Kern also played for the Rangers historically and had some good stats. In real life 1979, he finished 4th in Cy Young voting after having appeared in a whopping 71 games in relief, while sporting an amazing 1.57 ERA.

With a really solid squad now, Texas is starting to break away from the pack as we claim a 66-26 record, 13 games ahead of the Royals and 15.5 ahead of the rival Athletics. Barring a collapse it looks like we'll finally be back to the playoffs.

We sent a whole bevy of players to the All-Star Game: Bert Blyleven (SP), Jon Matlack (SP), Gaylord Perry (SP), Nolan Ryan (SP), Toby Harrah (2B), Buddy Bell (3B), Bill Madlock (DH), Al Oliver (LF), and Jeff Burroughs (RF).

Some of the player stats are listed below. Nice to see Burroughs bounce back after an awful year, as he's hitting 21 homers. Al Oliver is leading the way among batters with a .356/.399/.556 slashline, while Nolan Ryan sits at 13-3 with a 2.35 ERA to lead our pitching.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Argonaut; 09-27-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:08 AM   #26
Argonaut
All Star Starter

TEXAS WINS MLB RECORD 121 GAMES

Well, we've gone and done something crazy. The Rangers rattled off a scintillating 24-5 September record and finished 121-41, netting the all-time highest win total in MLB history (both in this sim and real life).

We are also second all-time in winning percentage, behind only the 1906 Chicago Cubs (.747 TEX, .763 CHC). Pythag says we were expected to win 124 games, which would have been enough to top the Cubs. Oh well, can't complain!

The final standings and some team stats are attached -- I'm sure there's some other records broken in there somewhere. We were 1st in every single defensive and pitching category, as well as batting .301 as a team.

There was only one "almost" thing where we came up short -- going into the final game of the season we had a chance to get all 5 pitchers in the rotation 20 wins. Fergie Jenkins was sitting on 19 wins, but unfortunately lost against the Athletics. I guess the A's had to get at least one over on me this year...

If we manage to go ahead and win the World Series (knock on wood), this could go down as the best season of all time! Up next we face the Orioles, and over in the NL the Cubs and Cardinals square off.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 10-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #27
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1977 PLAYOFFS

No comment.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 10-05-2019, 06:29 PM   #28
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1977 RECAP

Record: 121-41, 1st in AL West

World Series
Cincinnati Reds defeat Baltimore Orioles 4-0

So, that happened. Like the Mariners and Cubs in real life, our fictional Rangers set the MLB record for wins only to lose in the postseason. It was a frustrating loss, as we went down 4 games to 1, but actually outscored them by 5 runs in the series. Every losing game was a 1-run loss, the definition of a lucky series for Baltimore. They ended up going on to get swept by the Reds in the World Series of course. It would have been a much better series with Texas in it!

I employed Bert Blyleven in a stopper role during the series, which he excelled at in shutting down the Orioles (besides the last game, but at that point it was too late anyway). I thought it was a good way to get all of my elite 5-man rotation into the series. They all pitched well, but our bats were a bit too cold. Speaking of Bly, he won the Cy -- the highlight of our awards.

MLB Awards
AL Cy Young: Bert Blyleven (TEX)
AL Manager of the Year: Me (TEX)
AL Silver Slugger: Al Oliver, LF (TEX)
AL Gold Glove: Gaylord Perry, P (TEX), Al Oliver, LF (TEX)

4 of our pitchers were in the mix for the Cy Young (see below), and I actually voted for Nolan Ryan. But Blyleven picks up his second top pitcher award, and at only 26 years old he's amassed 56 WAR. He's basically already a Hall of Famer.

Also see the attached stats for our batters and pitchers. Al Oliver was the standout among position players.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 10-05-2019, 06:54 PM   #29
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Actually, the more I look at it -- the more I find it surprising that the fictional voters in OOTP gave Blyleven the Cy Young.

Based on what I'm seeing, I think he was only the 4th best pitcher on his own team, let alone the whole AL. Gaylord Perry had an almost identical season, though I'd give him a slight edge over Blyleven. Matlack and Ryan have clearly better numbers though.

I voted for Ryan but thought Matlack or Vida Blue would win it. Vida Blue also had really good numbers -- 22-9 record, 2.28 ERA, 3.30 FIP, 1.13 WHIP, 7.4 WAR.

Who do you think should have won it?
Old 10-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #30
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1978 ALL-STAR BREAK

Texas sits in 1st place in MLB at the break. But the Twins and Athletics are still in striking distance. Won't be another record-setting year, but hopefully we can make the playoffs and win when it counts. We sent these players to the All-Star Game:

Pitchers: Nolan Ryan, Bert Blyleven, Gaylord Perry
Batters: Jim Sundberg, Al Oliver

Blyleven is leading a lot of the important pitching categories. If he keeps it up he may win the Cy again, which would make me think the 1977 one should definitely have gone to someone else!
Attached Images
Old 10-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #31
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1978 END OF SEASON & ALCS

We finished the season in 1st place at 106-56, and that set up a grudge match against the Baltimore Orioles, who upset the Rangers last year.

The first game in Texas was a nailbiter that we walked off in the bottom of the 13th inning from a single by substitute Juan Beniquez! I'm using the Blyleven as stopper in the bullpen strategy, and it worked well as he gave us a few solid innings going into extra time.

A key moment was when Jim Kern had the bases loaded against him in the top of the 13th, and he nabbed a strikeout to escape the inning. Tense moments.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 10-16-2019, 06:06 PM   #32
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1978 PLAYOFFS

It's happened again...
Attached Images
Old 10-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #33
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1978 RECAP

Record: 106-56, 1st in AL West

World Series
Chicago Cubs defeat Baltimore Orioles 4-2

Frustration in Texas in another season as the Rangers are reverse-swept by the Orioles in the ALCS. And Baltimore again loses out in the World Series, this time to the Chicago Cubs. After assembling the best roster in baseball in the past few years, and one of the best pitching staffs of all time, we continue to have bad luck in reaching the ultimate goal. Are we cursed or something like the real-life Rangers? Time will tell.

The batting stats and pitching stats are below. Al Oliver and Bill Madlock had good seasons at the plate, while our pitching was lights-out as expected. 4 of our pitchers received Cy Young votes, but there could be only one winner...

Gaylord Perry at the young age of 40 won the AL Cy Young! I voted for him and am glad he won, as he had a great ERA and pitched the most innings in the league. That leaves only Jon Matlack as one of my 5 pitchers yet to win the Cy (though Fergie won it before this save started). Perry also won the Gold Glove at pitcher, and was our only player to win any hardware this year.

In other news, Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente were 1st ballot Hall of Famers, which is not surprising. I'm starting to see guys eligible who retired in the early stages of when my save started, so that's exciting. I expect it'll be the mid-80s before I can vote for any of my guys. But that's always been one of the main goals of this save, to get Rangers caps in the Hall of Fame.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by Argonaut; 10-18-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #34
DD Martin
All Star Reserve

Has to be the best starting 5 in MLB history, at least in the modern history say post WW1. Tough break losing to those great Earl Weaver O’s in back to back seasons.

Since I’m a Mariner fan since the beginning, nice to see them improve in year 2 by 7 games up to a whomping 58 wins. I started a sim taking them at the start of the 77 with the A’s drafted team. I’m not using the historical draft picks because I don’t think I could go through 18 seasons of horrible baseball. But maybe I’ll try it and see.
DD Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #35
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD Martin View Post
Has to be the best starting 5 in MLB history, at least in the modern history say post WW1. Tough break losing to those great Earl Weaver O’s in back to back seasons.

Since I’m a Mariner fan since the beginning, nice to see them improve in year 2 by 7 games up to a whomping 58 wins. I started a sim taking them at the start of the 77 with the A’s drafted team. I’m not using the historical draft picks because I don’t think I could go through 18 seasons of horrible baseball. But maybe I’ll try it and see.
Yeah I did notice that the AI Orioles still have Earl Weaver in there managing in my save, neat to see. They also currently have the #2 prospect in baseball, a "young kid" named Cal Ripken. Rickey Henderson is #1 for the A's.

I was interested in watching the Mariners and Blue Jays expansion draft. Man, they started with some awful teams in my universe, mostly due to bad pitching. I do like both of those teams in real life, living in British Columbia. I grew up in the Griffey era, and the Mariners had a lot of other cool players like the Big Unit and Edgar. Too bad they never made the World Series.

Historical draft picks is fun, and it saves a lot of time. Worth doing sometime. I'm sticking to all or mostly historical Rangers. I've still been able to assemble this all-time great rotation, but I'm worried if we don't win the World Series soon our window will close. I don't think there's as many great once-Rangers starting pitchers in the 80s and 90s.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #36
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1979 ALL-STAR BREAK

After recent postseason disappointments, I decided to go all-out and get the best player in free agency during the offseason. He cost all of our available budget, but it was worth it.

Chet Lemon is one of the best CFs in all of baseball at this time. Unfortunately he's not a former Ranger, but I've made an exception in the CF and SS spots because they're so important defensively. If there was one weakness last season, it's that Mickey Rivers was a below average CF in defense. Rivers has been moved to a platoon in RF with Jeff Burroughs.

Oh and by the way, Chet Lemon has an elite bat as well (see attached picture). He's in the running for MVP right now, and has locked down the AL Gold Glove the past few seasons.

At the All-Star Break, we are again on record-setting pace with a .763 winning percentage. Nolan Ryan and Gaylord Perry are among the league leaders in pitching. Smooth sailing so far, but I'm holding my breath for the postseason. Looks like either the Orioles or Red Sox coming out of the AL East, both of whom we've faced before.

Here are our AL All-Stars:

Pitchers: Gaylord Perry, Nolan Ryan, Jon Matlack, Len Barker
Batters: Jim Sundberg, Mike Hargrove, Toby Harrah, Chet Lemon
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 10-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #37
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1979 END OF REGULAR SEASON

We've finished the regular season strong and ended up 1 win shy of the 121-61 record-breaking season we had a couple years back. The Rangers record stands at 120-62, with a pythag of -5. So we probably had the best run differential of all-time, but I can't seem to find that on Google for real MLB history.

The playoffs will have Texas vs. Boston in the AL, while Cincinnati and Pittsburgh square off in the NL. We faced Boston in the playoffs during our second ever season in Texas back in 1973, where we won a thriller to advance to the World Series. Will history repeat itself?

Below are the standings, batting, and pitching stats for 1979. Gaylord Perry, Nolan Ryan, Chet Lemon, and Al Oliver were the standouts. Not pictured is Jon Matlack, who had a season ending injury, and Bill Madlock, who played in all 162 games but finished with an awful WAR of around 1.0. Really a down year from him.

Adding Chet Lemon to the CF position really boosted the pitching staff to crazy numbers. Fergie Jenkins is starting to decline, so I put him on an 85 pitch count which helped to get the bullpen involved nicely. Len Barker and Goose Gossage were used to good effect in stopper roles.

On to the playoffs!
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 10-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #38
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1979 ALCS

Texas beats Boston 3-2 in the ALCS to advance to the World Series! I guess that's the trick for the Rangers in the postseason, just face the Red Sox instead of the Orioles.

I've attached the scores below. A couple of pretty close losses, a close win, and a couple of blowouts in our favour. I don't remember anything too crazy or exciting, except for Nolan Ryan pitching wild in Game 2. He set (or tied?) the AL playoff record with 10 walks! He just kept walking guys over and over. I think one inning he walked 4 straight guys to walk in a run. And then there was a wild pitch that scored another. He also had 8 strikeouts so I guess that's why the AI left him in (I don't manage).

Al Oliver won the ALCS MVP, batting .500 with a couple of key home runs. Pitching wise, our bullpen was great in allowing no runs, while Bert Blyleven was the best of the starters and Gaylord Perry was good as well. Nolan Ryan and Fergie Jenkins had bad outings. Bly pitched 6.1 innings and allowed 1 run in the 1st game, and the full 9 innings with 1 run in the deciding 5th game.

We're up against the Big Red Machine in the World Series. I hope we won't miss Jon Matlack, but even without him our pitching is so strong.

By the way, it seems like in 1977 the ALCS was 7 games, while this year and other years it was the correct 5 games. Maybe a bug?
Attached Images

Last edited by Argonaut; 10-21-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:54 PM   #39
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1979 WORLD SERIES

The Texas Rangers have won the World Series!

Finally living up to our expectations as a baseball powerhouse, the Rangers sweep the Reds in emphatic fashion 4-0 to win the World Series at home in Arlington. Summary:

Game 1: TEX 6 @ CIN 1; W: Nolan Ryan
Game 2: TEX 6 @ CIN 4; W: Gaylord Perry
Game 3: TEX 8 vs. CIN 2; W: Bert Blyleven
Game 4: TEX 10 vs. CIN 6; W: Fergie Jenkins

The final game had a bit of a scare. It was 10-1 going into the top of the 9th, and it looked like the series was all but decided. But my boneheaded AI manager somehow put my backup catcher in at 2B, and left my middle reliever in way too long. 5 runs scored, but eventually Len Barker came in to shut things down and record the final strikeout. But that's just a footnote.

Buddy Bell won World Series MVP, with 6 total hits, 2 home runs, and 2 walks in the final series. Bert Blyleven was my own personal playoff MVP, as he had a 0.74 ERA and had all of his 3 starts turn into wins for Texas.

I'm happy that we closed out the 70s decade with a victory, and put some past disappointments behind us. Our core team members now have a ring, and I have to think that'll only help them in their Hall of Fame chances. As for our other goal of this dynasty -- we've already done much better than the historical Rangers!
Attached Images
Old 10-21-2019, 06:15 PM   #40
DD Martin
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
1979 WORLD SERIES

The Texas Rangers have won the World Series!

Finally living up to our expectations as a baseball powerhouse, the Rangers sweep the Reds in emphatic fashion 4-0 to win the World Series at home in Arlington. Summary:

Game 1: TEX 6 @ CIN 1; W: Nolan Ryan
Game 2: TEX 6 @ CIN 4; W: Gaylord Perry
Game 3: TEX 8 vs. CIN 2; W: Bert Blyleven
Game 4: TEX 10 vs. CIN 6; W: Fergie Jenkins

The final game had a bit of a scare. It was 10-1 going into the top of the 9th, and it looked like the series was all but decided. But my boneheaded AI manager somehow put my backup catcher in at 2B, and left my middle reliever in way too long. 5 runs scored, but eventually Len Barker came in to shut things down and record the final strikeout. But that's just a footnote.

Buddy Bell won World Series MVP, with 6 total hits, 2 home runs, and 2 walks in the final series. Bert Blyleven was my own personal playoff MVP, as he had a 0.74 ERA and had all of his 3 starts turn into wins for Texas.

I'm happy that we closed out the 70s decade with a victory, and put some past disappointments behind us. Our core team members now have a ring, and I have to think that'll only help them in their Hall of Fame chances. As for our other goal of this dynasty -- we've already done much better than the historical Rangers!
Congrats no upset or derailment along the way this time. Good way to wrap the decade up.
DD Martin is offline   Reply With Quote