Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-21-2015, 11:15 PM   #1
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Recruiting my Assistant GM

So far, my process is this:
  • Former ballplayer preferred.
  • Reason - I can look up his personality traits.
  • Look for high marks in:
    • Leadership
    • Loyalty
    • Intelligence (especially)
    • Work Ethic (almost as important)
  • Somebody who played for my team in the past and has some of those high marks has the inside track.*
* I just ran across one of my star pitchers from a decade ago. He's looking for a GM job; no experience yet, but high marks in leadership and intelligence (and normal work ethic, thank goodness). Hired!

Note that there were a couple of "Legendary" and "Outstanding" but I wanted a younger guy for my AGM. I want to see how he develops.

I am really digging this new coaching module right now.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
DiMaggio5CF
All Star Reserve

Does the assistant GM actually do anything, or is it just window dressing unless you actually delegate responsibilities to him?
DiMaggio5CF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMaggio5CF View Post
Does the assistant GM actually do anything, or is it just window dressing unless you actually delegate responsibilities to him?
Well, yes, you have to delegate to the AGM or else he is window-dressing. So far, I will have him doing these:
  • Setting Budgets
  • Sign Scouting Discoveries and International Amateurs
  • Sign/Fire Minor League Personnel
  • Minor League Promotions & Demotions
I am assuming that his personality traits (listed above) will have him do a better job. At least, that's the way it's working in my mind, for now, until more is learned about the personification (and customization) of this delegation of duties to the AI.

Does it not make sense that these personality traits will affect his performance? What in this game will make a good AGM (or GM) if not? Hopefully it's not just random or performance quality-neutral, just the AI doing its thing as always. I would think OOTPD would make it more meaningful than that.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 03-21-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:50 PM   #4
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

We'll more than likely never really know what or how they effect things much as we never really knew how they did before.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:07 AM   #5
gRaider2001
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Well, yes, you have to delegate to the AGM or else he is window-dressing. So far, I will have him doing these:
  • Setting Budgets
I am assuming that his personality traits (listed above) will have him do a better job. At least, that's the way it's working in my mind, for now, until more is learned about the personification (and customization) of this delegation of duties to the AI.
How do I delegate work to my Assistant Gm?
Old 03-22-2015, 12:08 AM   #6
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gRaider2001 View Post
Manager Options --> Control & Autoplay Settings
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Old 03-22-2015, 12:09 AM   #7
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gRaider2001 View Post
manager > team control setttings
IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:11 AM   #8
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanIachimoe View Post
manager > team control setttings

Old 03-22-2015, 12:57 AM   #9
gRaider2001
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks everybody:-)
Old 03-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #10
moneyball
Minors (Rookie Ball)

So far I've only had my assistant handle the minor league promotions/demotions and the ability to sign minor league free agents. But maybe based on this I'll give him a few more responsibilities. How has he been doing for you?

Quote:
  • Setting Budgets

Does it not make sense that these personality traits will affect his performance? What in this game will make a good AGM (or GM) if not? Hopefully it's not just random or performance quality-neutral, just the AI doing its thing as always. I would think OOTPD would make it more meaningful than that.
"It's about getting things down to one number. Using the stats the way we read them, we'll find value in players that no one else can see. People are overlooked for a variety of biased reasons and perceived flaws. Age, appearance, personality. Bill James and mathematics cut straight through that. Billy, of the 20,000 notable players for us to consider, I believe that there is a championship team of twenty-five people that we can afford, because everyone else in baseball undervalues them."
moneyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:49 AM   #11
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

I have just recently discovered this position. I'm guessing that if I assign him to: sign/fire Team Personnel, he will handle extensions as well. Since this is an area I often over looked in the past. It may be a great position. for me to fill.

Does anyone know if he will hire people with similar traits?, say I hire a guy with specific traits as the assistant GM like a small ball guy, will that Asst GM then Hire Small ball guys at other personnel positions?
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:01 AM   #12
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post

Does anyone know if he will hire people with similar traits?, say I hire a guy with specific traits as the assistant GM like a small ball guy, will that Asst GM then Hire Small ball guys at other personnel positions?
I'm not sure, but that's a good question.

By the way, you can also set him to only handle minor league staff extensions. I love that new feature. I like hiring my own coaches at the major league level, but it's such a pain to go down and hire that hitting coach in short A ball.
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:51 PM   #13
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

Quote:
So far, my process is this:
  • Former ballplayer preferred.
  • Reason - I can look up his personality traits.
  • Look for high marks in:
    • Leadership
    • Loyalty
    • Intelligence (especially)
    • Work Ethic (almost as important)
  • Somebody who played for my team in the past and has some of those high marks has the inside track.*
* I just ran across one of my star pitchers from a decade ago. He's looking for a GM job; no experience yet, but high marks in leadership and intelligence (and normal work ethic, thank goodness). Hired!

Note that there were a couple of "Legendary" and "Outstanding" but I wanted a younger guy for my AGM. I want to see how he develops.

I am really digging this new coaching module right now.
when searching for my ASGM how do u search for those marks?
Sabres2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:33 AM   #14
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres2000 View Post
when searching for my ASGM how do u search for those marks?
If they were a former player you look at their BNN page. Otherwise i don't think you can.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #15
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyball View Post
So far I've only had my assistant handle the minor league promotions/demotions and the ability to sign minor league free agents. But maybe based on this I'll give him a few more responsibilities. How has he been doing for you?
does it only sign minor leaguers that don't cost money?

i haven't tested that becaue i don't want to go through and remove a bunc of silly contracts by hand, lol.

edit:
coaches are different objects that may or may not have the same variables of a player.

scouting ratings and overall roster strategy are probably all you need to worry about. unfortunately, we get virtually no info or any way to evaluate this stuff without cheating. it's 100% pure guess, because reputation is worthless information. it is predictive of nothing with confidence.

if i could easily see trade history or some other results directly tied to GM actions in game summarized, we could at least make an educated guess about these ratings. not unlike using stats for player evaluation with ratings turned off.

you do get some tidbits aobut overall roster strategy, but not enough consistently to make any informed decision. just reach into a hat blind and pick one. you will have just as much luck, because that's all we have to work on.

i thnk some group think caused this change in the game... or they didn't like the absolute certainty of the previous system, but neglected to create any rational replacement, lol. i love progress, but you have to have somewhere to land after leaping.

Last edited by NoOne; 12-13-2015 at 06:05 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:19 PM   #16
Bigry009
Bat Boy

does anyone know if the assistant Gm can help with the draft, such as make the picks in an auto draft or set the ingame pick list using the assistant GM's player preferences?

My scout is ok, he is young and I dont really trust him to draft well for me at this point.

nvm....wrong version

Last edited by Bigry009; 10-26-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Bigry009 is offline   Reply With Quote