Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - Public Beta Test

Old 03-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
dmleibo
Bat Boy

Usability Stuff

Great start and I'm thrilled with the public beta. Thank you for that.

Just a couple of usability issues I noticed off the bat:

1. Pressing the space bar seems to bring me back to the previous screen. In most other games, pressing the space bar advances you and that seems to make the most sense.

2. I would like to see the arrow keys on the keyboard integrated for navigation between screens like the back and forward buttons on a browser.

3. After selecting an option from the "Play" menu, the menu should go away. Instead, after simming some period, I need to click to close the menu before performing another action. It's really an unnecessary and annoying extra click.

4. There is no notification system as far as I can tell. When I have new news or messages, something should alert me regardless of what screen I'm on.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
dmleibo
Bat Boy

Another usability item:

Any action i can perform via right-click on the roster screen, should be do-able from the player info screen. Things like:

Scratch player
Dress player
Send to injured list
Send to <farm team>
Training changes

And so on. You guys know what's in the right click menu.

It's a pain to have to navigate away from the player to do player specific things.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
dmleibo
Bat Boy

Another one...

When viewing my team's schedule/results, the screen should display the most recent by default. Doesn't matter so much which way its sorted. It's just a pain to have to scroll every time I go there to check on the most recent game. Especially as I get further into the season.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Merla

Totally agree with you. Especially about the space bar.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
Empach
Minors (Double A)

Excellent suggestions guys. I agree on all of the them and would like to add:
Navigation via mouse buttons. I have a third mouse button that is mapped to Back functionality and it would be great of I could use that in FHM. EHM allowed this.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
will.arnold
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Another suggestion for line-up screen

After the assistant suggests my lineup, I usually want to change a couple of people around. In some of the boxes (like PP and PK), when I do this, the two players swap places (which is what I want). In some other boxes (mostly noticed in the forward and defence lines), the player I drag gets dropped all right, but he also stays in the original spot. Then you have to find the player you want and drag him there. A simple swap when you drag a player and drop him, would be a great help.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
dmleibo
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by will.arnold View Post
After the assistant suggests my lineup, I usually want to change a couple of people around. In some of the boxes (like PP and PK), when I do this, the two players swap places (which is what I want). In some other boxes (mostly noticed in the forward and defence lines), the player I drag gets dropped all right, but he also stays in the original spot. Then you have to find the player you want and drag him there. A simple swap when you drag a player and drop him, would be a great help.

Thanks.
Yes. I couldn't remember the other one I wanted to mention and this was it.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
analgesic
Minors (Triple A)

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Absolutely right on all counts. These finer details are crucial to the user experience, though I'm sure they can largely wait until we're closer to September given that none of them are actually game breaking.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
will.arnold
Minors (Rookie Ball)

More minor usability features

On the NHL scores/schedule report, when you show goals, it would really help to identify with (PPG), (SHG), (ENG) and also with the number of goals for the player , ie. Gionta (7) PPG.

On the team schedule where you show results of previous games, it would help to identify (W), (L), (OTL), or something like that so we can see which games we got points in. Even hilighting wins in a different colour would help.

For standings report, it would be great if we could always get the same format as our last request. It seems like I am always requesting conference standings, and the division standings shows up each time I request standings.

For unsigned draftees, it would help to show somewhere which year and round they were drafted.

All these will help manage the teams and know how we are doing.

Great game so far, I love it. These ideas are not urgent, but would certainly help.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:12 AM   #10
Empach
Minors (Double A)

The more I play this the more another issue has come to me.
For the back and forward controls at the top left I don't think they should track tabs within a screen.

Often I'll look at a player and tab to his contract info, stats, etc. and then I'll want to go back to the roster, trade, message, etc screen. But I have to click at least one extra screen. I don't think that's the way to go. The back/forward buttons should just move you between individual screens.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
jayze302
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

Thanks.
Yes, please!
Old 03-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
Puckhead
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

Thanks.
Very good request, I would like to have this feature, too.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
Swell86
Bat Boy

Has there been any news on keyboard integration? I just got the game a few days ago & I would really love to have the spacebar, arrows, and F1-F12 keys set up like in FM13.